main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Living Force philosophical debate room

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by SWR_Representative, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWR_Representative

SWR_Representative Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2004
    Basically, I'm new, and I would like your opinions on the character's differing views of the Force. I for one (along with the other SWR members) have developed the firm belief in Vergere's philosophy: There is no Light Side or Dark Side, only the darkness in your heart that makes your actions evil. I for one think this is the best Forcial philosophy I have heard. I however, could be wrong. I want your opinions. Feel free to debate and give me your veiws on the subject! I'd love to know how the rest of you veiw The Living Force.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. GeorgeClooney

GeorgeClooney Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    I prefer my force to be dead before I eat it, thanks much.

3. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    The Dark Side is an aspect of the Force. Overwhelming amounts of material (much of which is far more valid than the Sith speaking Vergere) supports this.

Vergere spent over 50 years in a relative Force void with the Vong. The only Force that she came into easy contact with was the one she herself created as a living being. That is why her views on the Force are so egocentric, and completely neglect the effect a galaxy full of life would have on the Force. Also, Vergere?s experience with the Vong was far from a good one. She spent over 50 years being groomed as a pet for a society of masochists and sadists. Therefore, her sanity is obviously suspect. Vergere can also speak Sith, according to her RPG stats. That doesn?t exactly speak well to her teachings about emotion being a good thing (a teaching that directly contradicts the Jedi Code, BTW).

Now, as I said before, there is a lot of evidence against her. If you wish to use in-universe perspectives, then we have Luke Skywalker disagrees with Vergere at the end of TUF. We have massive amounts of evidence from the movies themselves, not the least of that evidence being the phrase ?the Dark Side of the Force?, which is uses quite often. But for an external canon source, we could go directly to the Dark Side sourcebook:
    Aggression, fear and anger fuel the Dark Side and are, in turn, fueled by it. (Dark Side sourcebook, page 6).
    While the conflict with the Dark Side is mostly an internal one, that conflict is fueled by external forces as much as internal ones. The Dark Side is a part of the Force. Vergere?s theories are the product of ignorance and insanity.

4. SWR_Representative

SWR_Representative Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2004
    Well, you pose and interesting point... Myself and the girls will have to look into this...

*bows* Many thanks, JediJSolo!

5. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i agree with alot of what jedisolo said, but i also think that nobody we have seen so far completely understands the force. i think the njo really opened it up to be something alot bigger then the movies let on. its possible that vergere meant that the force isn't black and white like many jedi thought. i dont think there is only a dark side and a light side and that theres an obvious line between the two.

6. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think it only fair to point out that my opinion, though well supported, is arguably not the predominant opinion on the forum (or not in Lit, anyway).

7. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Oohh, this wil be interesting, once I find some time I will post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.