main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Living Gift - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, short story - complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: The Living Gift
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OCs
    Genre: adventure, drama - short story (this will be somewhere between 3 and 5 posts) HA! I guess I was wrong about THAT!
    Summary: A mission is more than it seems, and in the midst of it all, Obi-Wan learns a lesson that will forever change him.

The Living Gift

Obi-Wan had never heard of the planet before Qui-Gon mentioned it in passing. At the time, it was just another mission, merely the latest in a long line of them. Nothing in the briefing seemed to indicate it would be any different; Obi-Wan felt no prodding from the Force, or even any anxiety from his Master. There was not a single sign that the mission would change his life.

The planet Mystoor was tiny, and not very important in galactic affairs. The only reason the Republic even agreed to send a team of Jedi for the negotiations was that the High Tribal Leader was related to someone who knew someone who worked for the Chancellor. It was easy, not to mention inexpensive and expedient, to send in a pair of Jedi and wash his hands of the whole affair, and so Chancellor Valorum did just that. To be fair, he had much larger issues on his mind at the time.

They arrived late in the evening, just in time to see the spectacular sunset from beyond the famous mountain range. Though not particularly wealthy, Mystoor was known for the export of a rare type of caf called detui, grown only on that planet. It was favored by the rich and powerful, though that single crop was Mystoor?s only claim to importance. However, the Jedi had not been summoned for any trade negotiations, for the people of Mystoor had no complaints with their already lucrative arrangements. The problem plaguing Mystoor was more a difference in philosophy than finance.

Thirty years before Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice arrived, the people of Mystoor had hired a rather large group of mercenaries to protect them from the marauding pirates that frequented the sector. The mercenaries, who were very good at their job, also found the little planet very hospitable, and many of the men found that the women of Mystoor very lovely and amenable to their company. More than fifty of them settled on Mystoor and made it their home, raising families and learning to grow the rich little detui bean.

They had children and those children grew up. That generation of children was part of the problem that called the Jedi to their planet. Not much was known about the source of the difficulty, all that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew was that the leader of the planet, known as the High Tribal Leader, had recently angered some of his subjects and found himself on the run for his life, his system of government in turmoil. Through luck and a series of happy mistakes by his pursuers, he had been able to make contact with the relative who set into motion the arrival of the Jedi team.

Posing as prosperous merchants who wanted to get a contract to sell the famous detui caf, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrived in unaccustomed splendor, the rich fabrics and colors of their garments sure to convince the Mystoorians that they were capable of paying the outrageous fees that would be required in order to win the rights to sell detui. Every courtesy was shown to them and they were soon comfortably ensconced in a suite and preparing for a meeting with the Trade Secretary.

This meeting was vital to their true mission, as the Trade Secretary was believed to be loyal to the High Tribal Leader. The new Tribal Leader, who had dropped the first honorific from the title when he had usurped his predecessor?s place had not had time to put his own men into every government spot, and since the detui bean must continue to flow off of Mystoor, the Tribal Leader had been satisfied to wait until one of his own men proved sufficiently capable of filling the position. So it was that a man named Trolin Wyyk met the Jedi in his office.

Qui-Gon held out his hand and gave a bow of respect. ?Qui-Gon Jinn, representative of the Jinn and Kenobi Trading Corporation.?

2. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    OMG!!! Sacrifice the kid?! Oh dear! Awesome first post there, can't wait for more!

3. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    They sacrifice the kid?? No wonder the young generation has rebelled against the ritual!!!! Well, I can't say that I blame them for rebeling. Very good start!! Please keep going with it!!!!

4. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    wow! this is really good! can you put me on the pm list for this (if there is one) please?

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nice guys, sacrificing a kid to the gods in order to keep selling caf beans. It would seem that money talks more than compassion. And they don't even see it as a problem.

I wonder what the kid has to say about it.

Good job. Please PM me with updates.

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

The living Gift.
    Sounds like something Qui-Gon and Obi-wan
    would want to protect.
    "Not sacrifice":eek:

Very interesting start I'm hooked I
    love short stories.[face_dancing]

If there is a PM list 'Yes Please'

7. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I'm much more worried now that they're going to sacrifice either Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan (possibly Qui-Gon), who have the 'Living Gift.' Sacrifice!

But I understand their viewpoint, sort of. A life is the greatest gift anyone can offer, of course. The problem starts when the one who's hgoing to be sacrificed doesn't agree.

Great start, Vadey. I'm eager to know the rest!

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw....shivers. I knew it had to be a sacrifice; am I good or not? [face_laugh]

However, considering how you started off...and the "Living Gift" is Force-sensitive - oh, dear, is Obi-Wan going to be a substitute?

Loved how irritated and trying not to be Qui-Gon was.

PM me.

9. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Oh boy, talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Can't wait to see how they work this one out.

Please add me to the PM list.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    This was such a simple little mission. Basic, no forebodings in the Force....and then they get to the part about sacrificing a kid in a ceremony. :eek: I look forward to seeing how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon react to this.

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Woah, somehow I expected that the ritual would involve child sacrifice if there was such an upset over it. Wonder how well Qui-Gon will handle that since he cherishes(sp? the word looks odd to me tonight) all life. Bet that's not going to go over well :p

Excellent job, MamaV but I expect nothing less from you :D Put me on the pm list too :D

12. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Eeerie and ominous begining! Please add me to the PM list! :)

13. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Fascinating. This should be fun. ;) Please add me to the PM list.

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Some how we knoew it wouldn't be easy

15. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Uh-oh! I had a feeling that the ritual would involve a sacrifice. Now I'm very curious to see how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon will handle this situation.

Excellent beginning!! =D= =D=

16. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    I had the feeling that was going to be the case with the ritual... And now the Jedi are torn between saving a life and trying to end the conflict. Great job!

Could you please PM me when you update?

17. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?We sacrifice the Living Gift to the goddess Shybyta

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It should be very interesting to see how Qui-Gon handles this one!

Looking forward to more

=D= =D==D= =D=

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Arwen-Jade_Kenobi I hope you like the rest! :)

Lady_Padme_Organa Well, certain facts come out in this post! [face_whistling]

palpyisgod2 Thanks! And I'll PM you!

dianethx Hey, I think my husband would sell his soul for Starbucks! :p

Gkilkenny There's a PM list now! ;)

Princess_Arulmozhi Well, I've gotten feedback on the plot line, so let's hope it works! :p

Valairy_Scot You ARE good! [face_batting]

Aya-Na_Bashu I will, and thanks for reading! :D

ardavenport
    There will be some surprises along the way! [face_mischief]

Layren Let's hope you like what's coming!

Jemmiah I will, and thank you so much for reading! I'm such a big fan of your writing that I'm thrilled to know I can return the joy I've gotten in some small way. :)

Dragonlady Will do, and thanks for giving this a read!

PadawanKitara Of course not, what would the fun be in that! [face_mischief]

Gina Thanks for reading, and thank you for the encouragment! [:D] Gina gets to hear all my crazy ideas before I post them. Pity her!

Independence1776
    And it will get even more complicated!

KELIA Very interesting indeed!

[b]Part II[/b]

?You?re going to kill a child?? The words burst out of Obi-Wan before he could stop them, and even he winced at his shrill tone. A quelling look from Qui-Gon made him close his mouth, though there were many other things he longed to say. The glance from his Master had been unmistakable, however. The Padawan crossed his arms over his chest, his jaw clenching. How his Master could sit there so calmly was beyond him.

Qui-Gon glanced at Obi-Wan one more time to assure himself that the young man had gotten himself under control and turned back to Wyyk. The secretary, however, looked appalled and stared at the two Jedi in horror.

?Kill a child?? he squeaked. Then he shook his head vehemently. ?We?re not barbarians, you know!? He sniffed a bit, obviously offended. ?The Living Gift is no child, but a man of twenty years.? Wyyk drew himself up a bit and tried to stare down his nose at Qui-Gon, but even seated as they were the Jedi Master still towered over the Trade Secretary.

?The Living Gift is twenty years old?? Qui-Gon asked carefully. Then he threw a look at Obi-Wan as if to remind him that they must be sure they had all the facts before coming to any conclusions. Obi-Wan shifted on his feet and felt some slight color come to his cheeks.

?Well of course,? Wyyk replied. ?When the Living Gift comes to us, we provide a gracious means of living for the Gift and his or her parents,? he explained. ?For twenty years the Living Gift is showered with our praise and our prayers, so that when they are transformed and taken into the presence of the goddess Shybyta, they will carry those words to her, and assure her of our continued devotion.?

Qui-Gon nodded thoughtfully. ?I see,? he murmured, his hand coming up to rub absently at his beard. ?You say the new government has the Living Gift in custody??

Wyyk nodded fretfully. ?They say that they cannot allow such a ?cruel ritual? to be perpetuated any longer,? he said with incredulous disgust. He shook his head sadly. ?They do not understand the importance of keeping to the old customs.?

Once more, the Master turned to gaze at the Padawan. Obi-Wan, caught under his Master?s sharp gaze, bit at his lower lip. It was true that he had been about to comment that it was all very good to say the old ways must go on if one wasn?t the Living Gift. Being slaughtered for a ritual might give one an entirely [i]different[/i] view on what should be continued and what should not. For now, however, he would hold his tongue. He could see that Qui-Gon was fully aware that he would be getting an earful once the two of them were alone again. His Master gave him a long-suffering look and gave his attention once more to Wyyk.

?Is there any way we may speak to the Gift?? Qui-Gon asked softly.

W

19. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    *Snags first post* Woohoo it worked ;)

And very interesting ritual there, interesting that they use a sleeping draught instead of some of the other more barbaric methods. Definetely a humane society at least. Very interesting indeed. Can't wait to see where you go from here!

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Qui-Gon laughed softly and put one big hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?Very good, my Padawan,? he said with pride. ?You learn from your mistakes. That is to your credit.?

?If I didn?t learn from them, you would only insist on teaching me the lesson yet again, Master,? Obi-Wan quipped with a roguish grin.

?That is so,? Qui-Gon acknowledged. Then he crossed his arms over his chest and studied Obi-Wan once more

This was a very nice chapter, lots of nice humor.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Qui-Gon laughed softly and put one big hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?Very good, my Padawan,? he said with pride. ?You learn from your mistakes. That is to your credit.?

?If I didn?t learn from them, you would only insist on teaching me the lesson yet again, Master,? Obi-Wan quipped with a roguish grin.

?That is so,? Qui-Gon acknowledged. Then he crossed his arms over his chest and studied Obi-Wan once more

This was a very nice chapter, lots of nice humor.

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I had to laugh at this:

So true.

The sacrifice might be gentle but the person was still going to die, gentle or not. There had to be some other way of upholding their traditions without death.

Looking forward to more.

23. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    ...huh. Interesting. The humaneness that seems to be involved in the ritual is a very nice touch. Can't wait for more.

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Sooo the Priestess is the sister of the Living Gift. Interesting...

More soon!!

25. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    hmm....the shoe thing totally reminded me of the Hall of 1,001 Buddhas in..was it Nara? WE went in socks through the whole place. I miss it.

Obi is so adorably naive about some things....he was expecting something typical of one who does not see life the way some others do.....cute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.