main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Living Gift - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, short story - complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ?You return what is rightfully hers,? Qui-Gon said.

?Yes, now you see why the ritual is so important to us, to my brother,? Alixxy said in relief. ?Do you see now why Ilbin wants to complete the ritual? His eternal mother is waiting for him,? she said softly. ?He just wants to go home.?

I can understand the reasoning. I wonder how this will all play out.

Love how Qui-Gon is trying to understand without judgement, while Obi-Wan is intrigued but outraged. Still young, he is.

"How could anyone harm a child?? Obi-Wan asked, outraged.

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Are you here to negotiate between two rival governments or to involve yourselves in things that do not concern you??

Zim doesn't believe in small talk, huh? :p

Very interesting explaination behind the sacrifice ritual. It certainly made me understand why Ilbin would be willing, though I still wonder if he really is...[face_thinking] [face_thinking]

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

So the truth is coming out

?So Shybyta gave the ultimate sacrifice, the life of her child for the lives of your people,? Qui-Gon said.

But still to sacrifice a living being ummm[face_thinking] not sure about that.

Obi-Wan glanced at Qui-Gon, a question in his eyes, and the Master nodded with a grin. Obi-Wan was perpetually hungry, and the chance to eat such delicacies was rare indeed, especially for a Jedi Padawan.

Alixxy watched him fill a small plate and then encouraged him to take more when he sat back with one more longing glance at the tray. When Obi-Wan had added more to his plate and seemed content, she rearranged her skirts and began to speak.

The forever hungry Obi-Wan[face_laugh]

Lovely post=D=

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Arrrrgh, how can I fault her thinking, or that of her brother if he believes he is only returning home?

A most wonderfully thought provoking fic MamaVader.

5. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I agree with Leona, this is one of the most thought-provoking fics I've ever read on these boards.

Great chapter, Vader! =D= Obiwan is perfect, questioning, yet brusque and definitely young. Qui-Gon is the perfect master for Obi, he seems to understand everything much more.

Can't wait for more!

6. Starwen_Skywalker

Starwen_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    This is a wonderful story. I was particularly moved by the tale of Shybyta sacrificing her daughter. You truly have the gift of writing.

7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Great story of the origins of the ritual. Very moving. So we have background, and it makes sense in its own way. Wonderful job!

8. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I see...sacrificial daughter rather than a son...interesting. This makes a little more sense now. Qui-gon is a really good diplomat....I would of been thoroughly annoyed by Zim..

9. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    What I love best about this story is the wonderful way in which you manage to put everyone's point of view across. As readers we might automatically sympathise with Obi-Wan's initial outrage at the idea of sacrificing a person, however willingly they might choose to die, but each person's beliefs are represented so fantastically well that in the end you can't help but understand and feel sympathy for Alixxy. And in the middle, being as neutral as he can, is Qui-Gon: the ultimate rock in stormy waters. I can't wait to see where you go with this! :D

10. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    With each chapter you add an intriguing new layer to this story.

?Not exactly,? Alixxy corrected. ?We return to her the soul of her daughter, which we believe rests in the Living Gift, reincarnated once every generation as a reminder, a renewal of the bond between us. We only give back to her what she has given to us, to show our gratitude and to ensure that the blessings of Shybyta will continue to flow,? Alixxy explained. ?It is not about maintaining a life-style, or fattening our bank accounts. It is about what we believe, what we feel is right ? demonstrating that we remember her sacrifice for us.?

?You return what is rightfully hers,? Qui-Gon said.

?Yes, now you see why the ritual is so important to us, to my brother,? Alixxy said in relief. ?Do you see now why Ilbin wants to complete the ritual? His eternal mother is waiting for him,? she said softly. ?He just wants to go home.?

Although the idea of sacrificing a person is still unnerving to us today, I can't help but find this to be a beautiful story.

11. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks for the PM!

Obi-Wan gaped at his master, no doubt wondering why Qui-Gon had been so forthcoming. Zim bowed slightly. ?We are honored to have such respected guests,? he said quietly. Then his dark eyes met Qui-Gon?s gaze. ?Are you here to negotiate between two rival governments or to involve yourselves in things that do not concern you?? I like him. And that's usually an accurate assumption about the Jedi.

Obi-Wan was perpetually hungry, and the chance to eat such delicacies was rare indeed, especially for a Jedi Padawan. Aren't most teenagers?

?When my ancestors fought for their freedom, they were only partially successful, for their masters were cruelly inventive and kept the working slaves separated from the smaller children in order to control them more effectively. There was no way to time the revolt so that all the children were with them, because the masters were very careful to never let large groups go to their parents at once. Small groups here and there, that was all,? she continued. ?So they rebelled when they had as many children with them as they could hope for, and?? Alixxy shuddered slightly but forged ahead. That's horrible.

?How could anyone harm a child?? Obi-Wan asked, outraged. I second that.

?Well, my ancestors spoke among themselves and decided that they would rather live in slavery than live in freedom, knowing it had been purchased with the blood of their children, so they prepared to surrender. They knew the masters would kill the leaders among them, but this they accepted as well,? she said. ?And the leaders turned themselves over to the masters, fully expecting that the children would be set free.? Oh, wow.

Alixxy shook her head. ?No?the masters took the leaders up to the walls as well, let them hug their children and then pushed the adults off the wall.? Horrible.

?The masters prepared to slaughter the children as well, as a lesson, but it was then that Shybyta delivered us,? she explained. ?She came down from the Lands Beyond and gathered the children in her arms, carrying them to safety?taking them to their parents.? Alixxy looked at the Jedi. ?Shybyta did not come alone, you see, for she brought with her a daughter named Sereni. This daughter felt the Force, as the Jedi do, and she was a great warrior as well.? Sounds almost like the Jedi, put into a myth.

?Yes, but Shybyta?s daughter died to gain our freedom, gave her blood for us?for our children.? Alixxy held up her cup. ?Shybyta gave us the gift of detui, took it away from the old masters and gave the secret to my ancestors, so that they could build a new life, a free life ? a life free of masters or poverty.? Death for life.

?Yes, you begin to see now,? Alixxy replied. ?Shybyta came to us in our greatest hour of need, she gave her daughter?s life to us, and in every generation she gives us one such as her daughter, one who can feel the Force,? she continued. ?Shybyta gives us not only the detui, but the promise of ever-lasting freedom, her bond-word that we will never again be enslaved. All of these things come from Shybyta and in return we give so little.? Wow...

?Not exactly,? Alixxy corrected. ?We return to her the soul of her daughter, which we believe rests in the Living Gift, reincarnated once every generation as a reminder, a renewal of the bond between us. We only give back to her what she has given to us, to show our gratitude and to ensure that the blessings of Shybyta will continue to flow,? Alixxy explained. ?It is not about maintaining a life-style, or fattening our bank accounts. It is about what we believe, what we feel is right ? demonstrating that we remember her sacrifice for us.? Wonderful beliefs, though hard to accept.

?Yes, now you see why the ritual is so important to us, to my brother,? Alixxy said in relief. ?Do you see now why Ilbin wants to complete the ritual? His eternal mother is waiting for him,? she said softly. ?He just wants to go home.? Poignant.

Wonderful update. I have no idea

12. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    just found this story...wonderful writing! how do you come up with these involved backgrounds in your stories? I loved the legend Alixxy told, but i'm curious about Shybyta(sp?) [face_thinking] . just for reference, how old is Obi-Wan here?

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This has an interesting premise.

14. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Umm. You've given them a very sympathetic history. And religious beliefs usually run deeper than most. But, still, for a person to willingly die? That's hard to fathom. I'm curious to read the conversation between Ilbin and the Jedi.

15. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this is interesting... i wonder what will happen when Qui Gon and Obi get to talk to Ilbin... plz add me to ur pm list! [face_praying]

[face_peace]

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    KELIA You'll meet Ilbin in this post! :)

Gkilkenny Having three sons myself, I know what bottomless pits they can be! ;)

Healer_Leona There aren't any easy answers for this one, and that's on purpose. :p

rebel_cheese With age comes tolerance...at least most of the time. :D

Starwen_Skywalker Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Thank you! It was heavily influenced by my love of mythology. :)

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Well, he is a Jedi Master after all! :D

Jemmiah Well, the ending is complete, I just need to get us there! ;)

Gina Thank you for your encouragement when I first explained the story to you and what I wanted to do with it. Your opinion made it possible for me to actually write this story! [:D]

Independence1776 Thank you! This is very much a departure from my usual kind of story. I wanted to break out of my comfort zone. And I'm thrilled (and surprised) that it's gotten such an enthusiastic response. :)

Luminara_Kenobi Obi-Wan is about 19 or 20. I read a lot, so I think that's just warped my brain. :p I've got a lot of weird ideas floating around up there. [face_laugh]

PadawanKitara Thanks for reading!

Ara-gon The first conversation between them is in this post. I hope you like it.

Veloz I will, and thanks for reading! :D

[b]Chapter 5[/b]

Alixxy came to them the next evening. ?Good news, the ministry has approved a request by my brother for ?spiritual consultation? from a priest of Shybyta.? She seemed amused by the idea.

Qui-Gon quirked one brown and smiled. ?Am I to guess that Obi-Wan and I are to provide this counsel??

She nodded and glanced at Obi-Wan. ?You seem surprised,? she noted.

The younger man shrugged. ?I didn?t expect things to move so swiftly.?

Alixxy tilted her head. ?My brother knew what needed to be done. They do not wish to deny him the comfort of his religion,? she remarked.

?Yes, but how did you get word to him so quickly?? the young Padawan asked.

?Why, I merely sent my thoughts to him and he did what needed to be done,? she replied with a slight smile.

Obi-Wan gaped at her. ?Really?? He seemed dumbfounded. ?But you?re not Force sensitive? Are you??

Alixxy laughed and shook her head. ?No, I am not. But there are those among the servants who are loyal to us and I merely sent word to him through them.?

Blushing slightly, Obi-Wan grimaced. ?I guess that makes more sense,? he conceded. Qui-Gon laughed softly and then turned back to Alixxy.

?When do we go?? the Jedi Master asked.

?Tomorrow morning,? she told them. ?Right after dawn.?

?Dawn?? Obi-Wan groaned.

?Don?t worry, young one, I?ll make sure that a morning feast awaits you,? she assured him. ?You?ll be so stuffed full of food that you won?t even mind being up so early.?

?My Padawan should be used to early mornings,? Qui-Gon noted with amusement.

?Oh, I am,? Obi-Wan answered mournfully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun had barely crested over the distant mountains when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan presented themselves at the front gate for admittance. Just as she had promised, there had been enough food for six men that morning, and Obi-Wan had eaten his fill ? twice over.

Qui-Gon spoke for them, his tones quiet and deep and would have done any holy man justice. He took to the role with an enthusiasm that the younger man could not match. He merely felt silly in the elaborately embroidered black robe.

The guards nodded and opened the gate when Qui-Gon explained their business. They were expected. Quietly, they were led through a lovely courtyard and then down an open corridor toward the sound of water falling. When they entered the second courtyard, they saw a small fountain in the center and standing by it was the figure of a slim young man.

Turning, the man motioned the guards, dismissing them without a word. Whatever Obi-Wan had expected in the Living Gift, the man standing be

17. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I like Ilbin! :) I felt acutely sorry for Obi-Wan, actually, in that he is unable to understand Ilbin's point of view because his Jedi training has taught him to respect life. Qui-Gon at least seems to have a wider understanding - and perhaps tact! I did like how Obi-Wan felt uncomfortable in his robes whereas Qui-Gon looked and sounded the part.

Ah, and now a disturbance in the street! Something to do with Ilbin's predicament, no doubt! *rubs hands* The issues and topics you have raised - freedom of the individual v sanctity of life - are extremely interesting for fan fic. Can't wait to see where this one leeds! :)

Btw, love the bit where Obi-Wan eats breakfast for two! He is a termite! :D

18. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awww really interesting chapter here, Kim. It makes sense that Qui-Gon, who I've always seen as a man of faith, would be much more accepting of others and their beliefs than Obi-Wan would be. And wonder about this revolt ...does not bode well at all. Excellent job! I can't wait for more of it :D Thanks for the PM!

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    lol @ Alixxy teasing Obi-Wan about breakfast. :D

Fascinating how QUi-Gon could sense the depth of serenity in Ilbin and as abhorrent the idea of sacrfiicing, even in this instance is, I can't disagree with Qui-Gon assessment that it's not thier right to interfere.

Superb post.

20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LOL at Obi's breakfast habits! The boy does need to learn some tact though, though I feel bad for him not understanding the belief system. Hopefully Qui can set it out for him a bit easier. More soon!

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ?I wish to move onto the next existence, the World Beyond,? Ilbin answered quietly. ?I want to go home, where I am meant to be.?

Qui-Gon?s hand came up to pull thoughtfully at his beard as he scrutinized Ilbin and then seemed to come to a decision. ?I understand,? he finally said simply.

?What?? Obi-Wan asked in disbelief. He turned to his Master. ?You?re just going to let him die??

?Padawan,? Qui-Gon said quietly, but with durasteel in his words. ?It is not within my rights to tell a man how he will live?or how he will die.?

?But it is a life!? Obi-Wan protested. ?They?re going to take his life!?

Ilbin leaned forward and touched Obi-Wan?s hands. ?No?you do not understand yet. You know the facts, but you do not truly comprehend,? he admonished gently. ?I am giving up this existence for a better one. Nothing is being taken from me.?

All of this is so - so - such a nice view of differing perspectives. Beautifully written.

22. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW - I'm amazed and impressed at Ilbin's calm acceptance of his duty.

Loved the teasing Obi got for always wanting to eat

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] but he is a growing padawan after all!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Obi-Wan will never understand why taking a life could be right.
    But I am sure he would give his own for Qui-gon.

Nice post.=D=

24. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I think Obi will understand everything in time. Right now, he's just a kid, always wanting to eat and rush to conclusions. I think this experience will be good for him, even though it;s extremely tragic . . . :(

Great post, Mama V! =D= Can't wait for more!

25. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Whatever might have been said was interrupted by a loud cry on the streets beyond the walls. A guard came rushing into the courtyard, his face flushed with excitement and fear. ?There?s revolt in the streets!? he cried.

Looks like things are about to get out of control. [face_worried]

Ilbin is so at peace with his role, and I love the way you use Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to present opposite sides of the issue.

And LOL at Obi-Wan's appetite and not being an early riser. :p He sounds a lot like Anakin probably was at that age.

You know how much I love the fact that this story raises so many complex questions and issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.