main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Living Gift - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, short story - complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I think this is my fave chapter so far - and it's had some stiff competition! :) Two conflicts: that of brother and sister/master and padawan, and as yet there's no real indication whether Ilbin's going to go ahead with the ritual or how badly his faith has been shaken by his sister's worries. I loved Alixxy's confession of weakness, which only seemed to reinforce the bond between brother and sister. Will this be enough to sway Ilbin or will he stay true to his beliefs? But I especially loved the manner in which Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon tried to sort through their different viewpoints, especially Obi's inability to harken to the point behind his master's story of the 'baby snatchers'- that just felt like pure Obi-Wan to me!

Great story! :D

2. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Zim is wonderful. "But even if I believe, I cannot ask that you give up your life for my beliefs." I loved his wisdom in this bit, and I bet it cost him dearly to say that. It was very brave of him to give Ilbin a choice, especially considering the potential ramifications in his culture.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Luminara_Kenobi Thank you so much for reading! :D

Veloz Hopefully at the end of next week. :p

Layren Thank you! [:D]

dianethx This story resulted from many family conversations about religion. ;)

Valairy_Scot Thank you so much for your very kind words, oh talented former padawan! :D

rebel_cheese I'm glad you liked it! :)

Gkilkenny We shall see! [face_whistling]

Independence1776 I don't think there are any easy answers here. :_|

KELIA Thank you! [face_blush]

Jemmiah I thought it would be only natural to have some doubts. Now we'll have to see how powerful those doubts are. ;)

Ara-gon Zim is a character all right. I based him on my grandfather. :p

I hope to finish this right after I get back. I'm working on the last -or next to last, depending on how things work out - post now. :p

4. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    All caught up finally! I really love how you're showing Obi's struggle with his beliefs and those of the others. Now we wait for the decision! More soon!

5. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to convey. :p Glad it seems to have worked.

Okay, I really tried to make this the last post, but there was too much happening and so there will be ONE more post after this one. (Yes, I know, famous last words). Thank you so much for continuing to read, even though this was only supposed to be five chapters long at the most. Oops. [face_blush]

[b]Chapter 8[/b]

Together, the Jedi and the High Tribal Leader waited. Obi-Wan felt restless, out of sorts, while Qui-Gon seemed to be his normal serene self. It was, Obi-Wan thought, enough to drive him mad. He tried to meditate but failed, his emotions too chaotic to allow him to slip into the comforting embrace of the Force. He felt Qui-Gon?s attempt to soothe him, but then his Master retreated, as if he realized that this was something Obi-Wan would have to sort through on his own. He tried, but tranquility eluded him.

It was several hours later when the siblings emerged from their seclusion. Each looked exhausted and drained, but at peace with whatever had passed between them. Obi-Wan tried to determine what decision they might have reached, but their emotions were hidden, clouded by primitive shields that Obi-Wan could have penetrated if he chose to. Such an intrusion seemed both unnecessary and unkind, and for a moment, he was embarrassed by his uncharacteristic lack of control. There was something about this mission that struck at the very heart of his beliefs and it left him unsettled and anxious. The Padawan glanced at his Master, wondering if he shared the same unease, but Qui-Gon?s expression revealed nothing. He merely stood quietly, his hands clasped in front of him, waiting for the Gift to speak.

With a look at his sister, Ilbin took her hand in his. She nodded encouragingly, and Obi-Wan could see her fingers curl around her brother?s hand. For a moment, he could not take his eyes from the sight of their clasped hands. It was clear that the decision had the full support of both of them. The High Tribal Leader stood up and moved to Qui-Gon?s side, where the old man waited as well. No one spoke, but the silence was somehow appropriate ? almost sacred.

?I?[i]we?ve[/i] come to a decision,? Ilbin said softly. Alixxy?s chin rose slightly and she met Qui-Gon?s gaze. Obi-Wan could feel compassion welling up within his Master, felt it pulse toward Ilbin and his sister. It was obvious that actually reaching the decision had been an arduous and painful process.

Ilbin opened his mouth to announce his decision, but Zim forestalled his announcement by holding up his hand. ?One moment, Ilbin,? the old man murmured. ?Before you tell us what you have decided, I want you to know that ? no matter [i]what[/i] you have chosen to do ? you will have my full support.? He nodded emphatically. ?Whatever needs to be done, will be done. I say this now so that you will know I am sincere. Your choice is your own to make.?

Ilbin smiled gratefully, his eyes growing moist, as did Alixxy?s, though she turned slightly as if to hide her tears. ?Thank you, Leader,? he replied fervently, ?that means more than I can express.? He glanced at Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. ?First?thank you for securing my release from the rebels.? He bowed slightly and Alixxy nodded. ?Your actions made it possible for my destiny to be in my own hands once more, where it should be. That is all [i]any[/i] man can ask. Don?t you think?? Ilbin tilted his head, his question seemed to be directed at Qui-Gon, but his eyes remained on Obi-Wan.

?It is a fine thing to choose your own path, Ilbin, no matter where that path might lead,? Qui-Gon agreed quietly.

?And what have you decided?? Obi-Wan asked, a note of impatience coloring his voice.

Ilbin?s own smile flickered and wavered, before settling more firmly on his features. ?I have decided to follow the destiny that has been mine from birth,? he answered softly. ?I want to go home?to be with my [i]true[/i] Mother in the Lands Beyond.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    That was beautiful, Vadey. I loved Obi-Wan's reactions to the decision, and Qui-Gon's excellent argument. Also, Obi-Wan's own thoughts later. That was perfect, the Force asking him what he would do, if he were asked to do the same. [face_love]

One more post. I'm sad. There should be so many more!

7. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    [face_dancing] Yay! Postie! And a lovely one, at that. Poor Obi, having to come to terms with this all, but more so, Poor Alixxy, losing her brother. I love the interaction between the siblings, and between Qui and Obi. As always, a wonderful update. [face_peace]

8. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    This was a great update... are u kidding!? i dont think anyone would mind if this extended to 20 chapters :p [face_laugh]

I couldnt help but think about old Ben's sacrifice in ANH as i read this...very very touching.

Good to see that Obi Wan finally accepted this, even thought it's something different from what he believes in... shows maturity in his part :)

I loved this update... i have bittersweet feelings about the next update because it will be the last one :( :_| , but i look forward to reading what comes next... i'm sure Obi Wan is gonna have a talk with Qui Gon and maybe even Ilbin

Tnx for the pm! :D

[face_peace]

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wow - that was some update.

I'm a little surprised Ilbin chose to fulfill his destiny but I admire his strength in facing the ritual.

I'm gald to see Obi-Wan turn to the Force for guidance in accepting Ilbin's decision.

Great update, though I'm a bit concerned about the next one...[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Wow! You know, for a moment I really thought Obi was gonna lose it, big time! Especially when he pulled Qui-Gon's arm away. But his master at least had the sense to realise this was something that Obi-Wan had to come to terms with himself. And the whole bit at the end was stunning, Vadey, with Obi trying meditate peacefully on the matter.

Like everyone else I can only echo previously mentioned sentiments: I don't want this story to end! :_|

11. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    He felt Qui-Gon?s attempt to soothe him, but then his Master retreated, as if he realized that this was something Obi-Wan would have to sort through on his own. Yes, it is.

?It is a fine thing to choose your own path, Ilbin, no matter where that path might lead,? Qui-Gon agreed quietly. *nods*

Ilbin?s own smile flickered and wavered, before settling more firmly on his features. ?I have decided to follow the destiny that has been mine from birth,? he answered softly. ?I want to go home?to be with my true Mother in the Lands Beyond.? I expected nothing less.

Immediately after Ilbin?s announcement, Obi-Wan gave one short nod of his head, turned on his heel and strode away. Across their bond he could feel his Master?s embarrassment at his behavior, and the anger which flared and was so quickly suppressed. He was vaguely aware of the murmured apology his Master offered before rushing after him. All he could sense from Ilbin and his sister was sorrow and acceptance. He broke into a sprint, as if by running, he could escape the situation. That- I would have thought he was better behaved. But he's a teenaged boy.

Obi-Wan?s strides did not slow, not even when he heard the furious pounding of his Master?s steps coming up fast behind him. He was not surprised when a hard hand grabbed him by the arm and whirled him around. He looked up into Qui-Gon?s face, took in the harsh lines of his Master?s disappointment. ?What was the meaning of that, Padawan?? Qui-Gon?s voice was low and controlled, which revealed the full depth of his anger. Qui-Gon is not someone I would want angry at me.

?The Order may sometimes wish we did not have emotions, but that is something which, fortunately, they cannot control completely.? He crossed his arms over his massive chest, his expression troubled. *snorts* It's the old Order.

?But that?s not true!? Obi-Wan protested. ?Surely you can?t believe that! It?s all just superstitious nonsense.? And how do you know?

Qui-Gon smiled sadly and shook his head. ?I believe in the Force, something that most beings in the galaxy cannot see or touch ? and they might think the Force is also superstitious nonsense. But I have faith that it exists.? Qui-Gon waited for Obi-Wan to absorb his words, and then continued quietly, ?Besides, it does not matter if we believe, Obi-Wan ? only that Ilbin does.? Exactly.

One day you might be called upon to die for something that you believe, Obi-Wan. Yes, he will be.

I'm not going to quote the rest of the conversation, but it's the best part of the chapter. All those questions, making Obi-Wan think and finally decide what he needs to do.

Obi-Wan remained silent, mulling over what his Master had said, and where the Force had led his own thoughts. At last, he sighed and opened his eyes. He got to his feet and walked back into the Temple, finally sure of what he must do. Good. He's finally maturing.

Wonderful update!

12. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

OMG excellent post.

?What was the meaning of that, Padawan?? Qui-Gon?s voice was low and controlled, which revealed the full depth of his anger.

Nostrils flaring with fury of his own, Obi-Wan dared to yank his arm away from his Master. The look of shock on Qui-Gon?s face finally broke through Obi-Wan?s rage, leaving him weak and empty. He immediately bowed slightly, giving both his apology and his submission in that simple gesture. ?I?m sorry, Master,? he said fervently, his eyes lowered. ?I truly am sorry for my behavior, which I know has shamed you.? Then his gaze flickered up to meet Qui-Gon?s and the younger man said. ?But I cannot apologize for my feelings about this matter.?

Qui-Gon probably felt the same, but being a Master he had to show strength in the face of Obi-Wans weakness.
    =D=

13. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa, powerful post there! Obi's reaction totally threw me, oddly enough. Famous last words indeed about final posts ;)

14. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Well, if this goes beyond 9 posts I'll still be happy. More to read, and that's always awesome. Or maybe a sequel.

Anyway, this was an excellent post. Perhaps it's because I'm younger and more emotional myself, but I found myself initally siding with Obi-Wan, even though I know what has to be done. Poor Ilbin . . . such a rough destiny to face. :(

And poor Alixxy . . . :_|

I can't wait for the conclusion.

Awesome as always. =D=

Edits: Never type when tired . . .

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Princess_Arulmozhi Thank you! [:D] I'm glad you liked it.

Luminara_Kenobi Alixxy and Ilbin have been interesting characters to write. [face_thinking]

Veloz I was thinking of the same thing when I wrote it. :)

KELIA Well, worry no longer because the post is here! [face_batting]

Jemmiah It seemed to me that Obi would be the type who would get himself under control. He feels strongly, but he's already developing that control for which he would be so well known.

Independence1776 Yes he's young. Anakin would have kept pouting, but Obi-Wan is more mature than that. :p

Gkilkenny Yes, as Master, Qui-Gon has a responsiblity to Obi-Wan as well as their mission.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Vignettes have a strange way of becoming epics around me. o_O

rebel_cheese Ilbin is a special young man, that's for sure.

[b]Chapter 9[/b]

[i]?Faith is to believe what we do not see; and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe.? - Saint Aurelius Augustine[/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan knocked softly on the door of the chamber he knew Ilbin occupied. The door opened almost immediately to reveal Ilbin?s pale but composed features. When he saw the young Padawan standing there, Ilbin smiled widely and stood aside, inviting Obi-Wan inside with the gesture. Nervously, Obi-Wan slipped past the young man and into the quiet room.

?I?m sorry for disturbing you,? Obi-Wan said apologetically. ?I know there must be things?? His words trailed off and he cleared his throat. He wondered exactly how one prepared for death, and then decided that was a topic best left unexplored.

Ilbin waved away both the thought that Obi-Wan was a disturbance [i]and[/i] the awkwardness of acknowledging the impending ritual. ?Please, sit down,? he replied politely, pointing to some huge pillows that were strewn on the floor.

Lowering himself to a cushion, Obi-Wan waited uncertainly as Ilbin did the same. ?These are very comfortable,? the young Jedi murmured uneasily.

?I find it easier to meditate here rather than kneeling,? Ilbin explained with a shrug.

?So you really do meditate?? Obi-Wan asked in surprise.

?Perhaps not as you do,? the young man acknowledged. ?Sometimes I reach for the Force, as I?m sure you do, but more often I simply seek the will of Shybyta ? make sure that I?m acting according to her wishes.?

?Just as I seek the will of the Force,? Obi-Wan said, sounding slightly ill-at-ease. He looked at Ilbin and a quick smile flashed on his face. ?I guess we have more in common than I thought.?

Ilbin returned the smile and nodded easily. ?I am sure we have quite a bit in common,? he said. ?I would guess that our methods of meditating, and our reasons for doing so, are quite similar.?

An awkward silence fell between them as Obi-Wan searched for the words to express what he was feeling, what the Force had shown him. Ilbin waited patiently, though his expression remained expectant. ?I?I meditated earlier,? Obi-Wan explained. Then he flushed slightly. ?To help me understand all of this?to [i]accept[/i] it, I suppose.?

?I am sorry to be the cause of such distress, Obi-Wan,? Ilbin murmured.

Obi-Wan held up his hand and shook his head. ?No, no, I?m the one who should apologize,? he replied. ?It?s just that this is something I?ve never encountered before and I?m not quite sure?? He broke off in frustration, unable to express what he felt.

?I understand that everything about this situation must be very difficult to accept,? Ilbin offered.

?Yes,? Obi-Wan replied, ?it is.?

Ilbin paused thoughtfully and then leaned forward. ?Thank you for at least [i]trying[/i] to understand; it?s more than many would do.?

Obi-Wan?s lashes fluttered down to shield his eyes from Ilbin?s piercing gaze. ?My Master thinks I should try harder,? he said dryly with a slightly smile.

?Your Master is a wise man,? Ilbin observed, but then he laughed softly and shook his head. ?But you are not lacking in wisdom, O

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was a lovely description of something that I agree with Obi-Wan about. I liked that Obi was telling about how he wanted to make a difference and serve the Force when he died. I guess he got his wish after all.

Great job.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, then. I always suspected that it would end something like this, and why not? I believe our favorite padawan has learned a lot on this mission and grown up a lot.

The Living Gift going "home" is, really, not any different from the Jedi going home "into the Force." It is not something usually pursued actively, of course.

The Padawan chewed at his lip for a moment, his eyes straying out the window to look at the sky beyond. ?I fear?I fear that my death won?t mean anything. I want to spend my life doing the will of the Force, and when it comes time for me to die, I want my death to serve the Force as well.? He snorted softly and shook his head. ?That?s silly, isn?t it?? He rubbed at his eyes. ?It seems vain, now that I think of it.? he added severely. ?It is wrong.?

?It is human,? Ilbin corrected him, reaching out to touch him lightly on the hand. ?We all want to feel like we made a difference, no matter how small. You want your death, as well as your life, to serve something you believe in, that?s all. That is a noble thing to wish for, Obi-Wan.?

?Yes, that?s it,? Obi-Wan said with relief. ?You said it exactly what I meant to say. I want to know I made a difference ? no matter how or when I become one with the Force.?

The Living Gift and the Jedi shared a look of understanding, each taking comfort from this moment in their own way.

A lovely story with much to ponder.

18. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I LOVED this=D= .... it completely makes sense with the way Obi Wan chose his death in ANH... a perfect death to make the biggest difference in the galaxy:)

This was a very powerful fic, and i completely loved it :D

It was sad to see Ilbin die, but what better way to choose the way u die for something u believe in? [face_thinking]

I look forward to the epilogue, but i gotta say, wonderfully done =D=

[face_peace]

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    =D= =D=

That was awesome it made sense and was written beautifully.
    So sad, but part of growing up seeing how others live.

Thanks for a great story[:D]

20. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Argh, darth loss of internet access kept me away from a new update! Too tired to say much coherent, but a beautiful end to a lovely story. Looking foreward to the epilogue (if there is one?)
    @};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

21. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_| :_| :_|

That was beautifully written.

I like that ultimately, Ilbin was allowed to decide if he wished to complete the ritual. His last talk with Obi-Wan was just wonderful, perhaps it will help Obi to make peace with his decision.

great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    :_|:_|:_|

That was so heartbreaking Kim, but wonderfully done. I finally had time to play catch up with this wonderful story and I'm very glad Obi talked with Ilbin and hope that will allow him to be peaceful about Ilbin's decision. Qui-Gon was perfectly written and I just loved how understanding he was about this. Marvelous work. I can't wait for the epilogue!

=D==D==D=

23. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaaaawwwwwww, that was such a difficult lesson for Obi-Wan to learn. Qui-Gon couldn't help too much; Obi-Wan had to meditate on his own about what he thought about it. Acceptance was a hard thing for Obi-Wan come to (and so important for a Jedi), but it seems like witnessing the ceremony (so nicely described) helped him in the end.

24. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    What an amazing story you've treated us to: sad to see it come to an end! :( I was torn between wanting an unexpected rescue to take place and feeling glad that Ilbin was able to follow through with his beliefs. I loved the talk between Obi-Wan and Ilbin. To be trained to respect and honor life yet be forced to stand by an watch someone die is a tricky thing, yet it seemed that Ilbin made Obi-Wan face up to his own difficulties.

Bravo, Vadey! Wonderful story! =D=

25. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    And when that living wall broke apart, and their hands unclasped and they moved aside, the still, silent form of Ilbin was revealed.

His expression was peaceful, his eyes closed and the light flush of life still lingering on his cheeks.

The Living Gift had gone home.

Beautiful. Truly beautiful. :_| I hope, when Alixxy passes, Ilbin will be waiting for her.

I hope Obi-Wan will find peace over this. It was what had to be done, whether we liked it or not (and you know I didn't).

Great, great job here. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.