main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London 2012 Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For those of us who already miss the Summer Olympics ...

1,432 days to go until London!

ITT we speculate about London, talk about future qualifiers, and (probably) fail to keep this thread alive long enough to really get close to a countdown. :p

But, we can try!

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I can't wait to see if the USA softball team can redeem itself in 2012!!!

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I'm here! Rock on! Bring on that atrocious logo!

Mayor of London was el-oh-el-icious in the Beijing closing ceremonies. Don't want to get a new jacket or button it up in front of the entire world, eh? Or comb your hair? He kinda looked like a bum compared to the precision of the Chinese and Olympic officials. :p

EDIT:
    Awwww... won't happen. So sad. :(

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Shouldn't we count down to Vancouver first? Then worry about London?

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Phelps FTW...........Again!

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Phelps has said he won't swim as many events in London. So how many will he swim? I'm thinking 5 or 6.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Summer > Winter. [face_not_talking]

But you can start your own thread for Vancouver, if you want. :p

8. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    I too agree that winter Olympics are more fun...after all there is figure skating!

As for Michael Phelps I agree that he'll probably go for 5 or 6 next time too.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Summer > Winter.

Well, yes, but that doesn't mean that Winter Olympics aren't fun, too!

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll be very interested to see how they go about forming the next Men's basketball team. What sort of requirement they'll want, who they'll get to coach (Billy Donovan? Roy Williams? Rick Pitino? And NBA Coach?)

11. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I predict that America will win a lot of medals and that Jamaica will do well with running events.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Of those named, I think Roy Williams would be the best (Yes, I said that). Not sure, though, overall... have to think about that.

13. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I agree with Onoto on this issue.

I also predict there will be gymnastics drama.

EDIT:
    OMG. Quoting for crazy. :p

Honestly, too far to tell down the line. Ol' Roy would be awesome, but Billy Donovan would be a sweet choice. Who knows, though? Could be anyone.

14. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    At least if they're is gymnastics drama (which I'm sure there will be) at least those Chinese gymnast who are probably underage will definitely be 16 in 2012.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I think they need to name whoever it is within the next several months, or at least before next summer. Because I think they need to do the 3-year commitment again, as it definitely made them more of a team and less a collection of players, which makes a big difference on the international stage.

EDIT: These may be... but who is to say there won't be new gymnasts whose ages are questionable?

16. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I agree, R...J. I definitely want to keep tabs on it and see what happens, both on the men's and women's sides. Anne Donovan and Dawn Staley coaching like they did was fantastic, and with some of the veterans retiring, it'll be time for women like Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird to really take on the leadership role.

EDIT: And one thing that these Olympics has given me is a bit of a more renewed interest in women's basketball altogether, or at least the realization that I'm more interested in it than I thought. As much as the WNBA gets dissed, and as much as I laugh at how little attention or attendance they get, I've never downed the commitment and heart that they play with, and I definitely enjoyed their games this summer.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Agree with the need for another three-year commitment.

Of course, I think that means this is LeBron's last Olympics. But, I imagine the next group will be built around the likes of Chris Paul, Derron Williams, OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, and maybe Carmello Anthony again. That's a great core to work around, and given three years to gel as a group, should be able to do a similar job to this team.

18. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Phelps looking ahead to 2012 Olympic Games.

According to the above, Phelps is considering adding to his repertoire. The Backstroke he mentions as one. What does everyone else think? Is he going to win gold again in each swimming event that he decides to do; or will he win gold in most, but not all like in Athens?

19. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    That would be awesome if he got some gold in some of the swimming events he hasn't participated in.

20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006

Fixed and Posted.

21. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Most probably like in Athens. It's just ridiculously hard to win everything.

And why can't Coach K be around in 2012? Did I miss some announcement?

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, the US Basketball coach normally changes each time around. Hence, it'll probably be someone else.

And how did I forget to toss a shout-out to Dawn Staley, who is the new women's basketball coach for South Carolina?

Phelps doing some different events would be nice... probably drop some of the ones he's not quite as dominant in, pick up a couple. Though I have a hard time seeing him not be in the IMs or the relays. But thats 5 events right there, unless he just does 2 relays instead of 3, which is possible

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I wondered why the Brits won so many medals...obviously prepping for hosting.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    He announced after the semi-final game that he wouldn't be returning for another stint.

25. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    The unpatriotic schlemiel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.