main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    going to see ghost rider tomorrow night!
    and even if it is *****,which i doubt it will be...heck,it's only a tenner!
    i got money to burn,me!

matt,where can i get a copy of said film?

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The reviews I've read for Ghost Rider have been pretty bad. If I was a fan of the comics I would think differently, but I've never looked twice at them so the appeal is set at zero. Let us know what you think though Jamie....I suspect you'll like it ;)

My above post has a link to play.com where you can purchase Left For Dead, but here it is again just for you:
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3305295/Left_For_Dead/Product.html
    I have yet to see it myself actually, so I may well buy me a copy.

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I don't unfortunately :(
    Wanna send me some? :p

300 looks good, we'll probably go see it. Well Mike doesn't get much choice as the cinema is an hour walk and I am not too willing to do that kind of journey in -30C. Hell I wouldn't even do it for HP which is saying something ;)

4. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    cinema an hour away???
    minus thirty degrees???
    ...and you moved to this place because?

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Cheaper to live
    I will be able to own my own house
    It has better summers
    My education is worth more so can earn more ;)\
    No Tony Blair :p

Actually the cinema is only an hour if I walk. Driving it is like 10 mins but as I can't drive it is a bit of an issue at the moment. I can't learn to drive until immigration has been completed. One bad thing is because this isn't a big city the transport suck big time so if the bus did go to the cinema it probably wouldn't take me long but it is finding a bus because the bus stops don't have bus information on and they are like once an hour and still pretty slow. In 2005 when I was visiting the next town over it would take me an hour and a half to get to that city, it is like 15 mins in the car :p

Oh another plus, there are more IMAX cinemas here ;)

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No Tony Blair

I think that right there is worth the move, even if it is -30! Too bad we couldn't ship him there instead!

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, the people likely to replace him aint much better.

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Exactly ;)

Mind you this being said the government haven't approved my immigration papers yet [face_worried]

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    hmmm,i'm not convinced,amber.
    sounds like your new gov are leading you a merry dance.
    and you really should have lined up a job before you moved.

10. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Actually it is pretty hard to get a job before you move. I actually had some interviews but companies don't want to hire people until they have their immigration done.
    Mike's company want to hire me, wanted to since June. They had a web position going for $60,000 but refused to do the paperwork for me. This paperwork was just for a work visa which costs $150 but they have to proove a Canadian can't fill the position. Took them about 5 months before they could find a Canadian as qualified as me because of it.

I can't apply for a work visa myself now that I am in Canada on my passport so pretty much just stuck waiting. I'm on an expat site and lots are in my position and tried for work but only a slim percentage manage to get a job before moving.

Basically the system sucks :(

This is probably the only time where I wish immigration was like the UK when everyone is let in easy ;)

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    And I remember when this thread was for film talk :p

What was Ghost Rider like then Jaime??

Pan's Labyrinth is hitting our fine shores on DVD this Monday, but it seems everyone is doing an exclusive version of it, so which one is best??
    Amazon have an exclusive set of artcards plus a slipcase:
    [image=http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000N4REL6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45167502_.jpg]

Play.com are doing some storyboard artcards:
    [image=http://images.play.com/banners/3257088l.jpg]
    and a different cover:
    [image=http://images.play.com/covers/3257088m.jpg]

HMV are doing a fancy interchanging slipcase cover with artcards plus poster:
    [image=http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/HMVVIDEO/OPTD0973.JPG]

And Virgin are doing an exclusive slipcase too:
    [image=http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/content/ebiz/virgin/invt/1./E./F./767045/PANS_m.jpg]

They all have good elements about them, but the HMV and Play.com versions are standing out for me, but I do like that Virgin one too.

12. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    you like the virgin one because drew struzan did the art,and you have occasional exceptional taste.
    ;)
    we saw ghost rider,and really enjoyed it. it does exactly what it says on the tin. it should have had a meaner,more nasty bad guy... poor old wes bentley,so good in american beauty... he should have been the new jake gyllenhal.
    no,ghost rider was a fun little film.it won't change the way we look at cinema... but for a few bucks,you get value for money.
    although richard stanley should have directed it.

matt.
    do some artwork...come on...

amber,couldn't your fella move over here,sounds like you're having a right old time.

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've just visited Drew Struzan's site and managed to get a better look at the Pan's Lab artwork, and it is very nice although I was more drawn towards its art nouveau style, of which I'm a big fan of.

New artwork of mine will be coming along soon(ish). I've been building up on research and hope to make a start next week. Had lots of other jobs to do first which are now drawing to an end. As always though I want to try and push things forward, so I may be doing some experimenting initally. But I'm still on course to do my epic piece ;)

14. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    come on,matt...i'm desperate to see some new pieces by your fair hand!
    i tell you what's been blowing me away... the current run of covers by DAVE DORMAN for the dynamite entertainment published HIGHLANDER series. absolutely stunning!!! especially the most recent issue...
    he's also done some for the classic battlestar galactica,but the highlnader stuff is better.
    truly,an artist at the very top of his game.
    i'm doing some bits for this star wars convention...

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, USA Today reviewed 300 in yesterday's edition. They gave it 2.5 out of 4 stars. Basically they said the graphics are great and the characters are cardboard. I'll be interested in seeing what the UK press says when it opens here.

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I have a feeling our critics will hate it, but we shall find out shortly **gulp**

I opted for the drew struzan cover of Pan's Labyrinth. Looks stunning printed on textured card, and the free poster is the same piece of artwork but is pre-folded, which spoils it somewhat.

I also saw Amelie for the first time on Sunday too. Really enjoyed it; visually and conceptually very classy and felt the director had great control over every little detail.

17. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    TICE!! You've only just seen Amelie. Tut tut tut.
    Glad you enjoyed it even though you left it quite late.

18. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I bought the Guillermo del Toro collection d.v.d. box today which has Pan's Labrinth, The devil's backbone and Cronos in it. Good old H.M.V. never lets me down. :)

19. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Better not tell her I still haven't seen it lol [face_shhh]

Not sure what to think of wooden Spartans lol, they weren't known for the chit chat or eloquence - these were warriors born and bred on macho-sauce.

Then again, I said the same about Haden's Anakin - what do u expect from a slave living on a dustball out on the galaxy's rim - speeches that could rival our best politicians? Haden may have been "wooden" in places, but given the characters origins and background, I didn't expect someone who could out-talk Palpatine.

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Just read this off of the news items below:
    "From The Hollywood Reporter: Lawrence Kasdan has been chosen to write the new screenplay for the upcoming movie "Clash of the Titans" for Warner Bros. Pictures. This will be a remake of the 1981 movie of the same name."

Re-making Clash of the Titans was another thing on my 'to do list', darn you WB!! Not sure how I feel about this one, the original is a much cherished classic for me, but with Lawrence penning it, who knows.......

Anyone seen ze German film The Lives of Others?? Winner of best foreign film oscar, nabbing it off Pan's Labyrinth, and getting a storming review (albeit the worse bit of review writting I've read for a long time) on teletext.

21. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    this isn't the same larry kasdan who wrote empire and raiders,and directed silverado...it's the other larry kasdan who adapted the stephen king book dreamcatcher.
    the **** one,lol!
    what a shocking idea.
    i hope they keep bubo,though!

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    lol, the good one also co-wrote ESB and RotJ. And if Bubo isn't init, or replaced with some dire CGI effort, I will boycott the film. Long-live mechanical Bubo!!
    [image=http://www.podster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fotos/bubo.gif]
    For a while I've been visualising (in my head, of cause) how I would start the re-make. I would start in the ocean, tracking across the surface then diving down and eventually meeting the Kraken. That's as far as I got though :p

In other news, Edward Norton has been cast as the Hulk/Bruce Banner. Firstly, I quite liked Ang Lee's Hulk film so it's disappointing the studio have more or less poo-pooed it and secondly, I've always found Edward Norton to be an odd actor who I just can't see doing a convincing job.

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The first trailer for Bourne Ultimatum has been unleashed and can be found here:
    The Bourne Ultimatum

A short trailer but does the job very well, looking mighty fine to me and out on 17th August, the day before me Birthday ;)

24. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    we went to see 'shooter' on saturday night,and it was great fun.
    major phennir wouldn't like all the exposions and shooting,but i loved it,and mark wahlberg was great as a kind of redneck jason bourne,lol
    i am sooo looking forward to spiderman3.
    and twentyeight weeks later... have you seen the trailers?
    wooo!

25. JediKnight_Veronna

JediKnight_Veronna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2006
    Hrmm the films im going to be most interested in this year are the following Spiderman 3,Transformers ,28 Weeks Later and Pirates of the Caribbean: at worlds end. Personally i dont think transformers will do that well, its one of those classics that should just be left alone, But on the flipside of the coin i think that Spiderman 3 is gonna rock......hrmmm...what do you FF-UK'ers think ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.