main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I could at least watch the first one, second one....I think I might have fallen asleep through it [face_tired]

2. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Although I want to go and see the movie anyway, can you tell me what's history about a fictional "strain" thingy? Just out of interest, as I'm Hungarian but never heard anything of this one and Corvinus is a famous name... but from a 15th Century king. Google didn't reveal anything about this Corvinus Strain either, apart from Harry Potter and Underworld references. [face_thinking]

3. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I think they just made it all up. I've seen the first one which was just about enough for me, and I can't repeat the brief summary of the third one according to my fellow projectionist.
    We've dubbed this one Underpants 3 if that helps ;)

The only good film I've seen of late is Slumdog Millionaire, and even that would seem to be slightly over-rated imo. I've seen others since the new year, but nothing worth while at all.
    I would like to have seen Frost/Nixon and The Wrestler, but time hasn't allowed.

There are lots of films out this week and I might see Bolt later today.
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button seems to be dividing quite a few people, but I am interested in seeing that also.

Ah well, not long until Watchmen :D

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think Benjamin Button is up for more Oscars then it is likely to win.
    A review of it I heard on the radio said it was too long (2hrs45) and that Brad Pitt can't act older then he is no matter how much makeup they put on him.
    It's up for 13 Oscars, but I think Slumdog should do better, and Rourke should get Best Actor ahead of Brad Pitt

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    People at work saw Benjamin Button and advised me not to go see it saying it was dragged on and wasn't enjoyable.

Actually I don't know anyone who's seen it and liked it.

I think I'm skipping movies now until May.

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Benjamin Button has been getting plenty of 5-star reviews from hard-nosed critics, but other hard-nosed critics have dismissed it too. I doubt now that I'll be seeing it and I'd be surprise if it does big business over here.

Saw Bolt last night and it has a good beginning and a good end, nice animation and rendering but that's about it. Pixar shouldn't be concerned, although it did have an awful Cars short at the start.

Taken did very well on its opening weekend Stateside. I can't believe it's taken (no pun intended) so long to get released over there, but it clearly is a modern day cult classic, lol.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm unsure if Bolt is PIXAR or not. I know they've merged with Disney and become the head of the animation division, but usually any film they do has their name next to Disney. This just says Disney, unlike WALL-E which also said PIXAR.

And if it's not PIXAR, who did the CG animation?

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Walt Disney Feature Animation Studios

9. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    My post might have been misread, but what I was suggesting was that Pixar shouldn't be concerned by the Walt Disney animation studio as based on Bolt, Pixar are still head and shoulders above the rest.
    Even with John Lasseter's watchful eye, Bolt doesn't quite cut it but it is certainly aimed largely for young kids and maybe, just maybe, seeing it in 3D makes a difference.

Sadly I was too busy yesterday to watch He's just not into you. A great shame as I was looking forward to it..... about as much as I'm looking forward to clearing up dog poo from the garden :p

Next week's release schedule is looking fantastic mind. A re-hash of Friday the 13th and Notorious, which will no doubt bring out all the 'I think I'm a gangster, init' 15-year-olds from Macdonalds in there horrible grey tracksuits.

Did anyone hear the Christian Bale explosion from the T-Salvation set?? Classic, lol.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    As I understood it PIXAR is Disney's animation division, meaning they animate all of Disney's stuff, it seems that is not so.

I hear many cinemas have refused to show Notorious, I forsee another screen riot as we had with Adulthood (the screen was damaged by a fire extinguisher). I don't see the need to make a film that simply encourages the wrong sort of people to turn up. If that part of society is gettg glorified or acknowledged too much it won't go away.

I look forward to the remake of Friday the 13th, simply because it will have a lot more Jason in it then the original had.

I heard Bale's rant, he was a bit out of control.

I like the new Transformers teaser trailer featuring the giant Devastator. The teaser poster is cool.

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Have you heard the dance track some DJ made of Bale flipping out?

12. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    mmm,watchmen...

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The dance remix is very funny. Classic stuff.

Mmmmm, Watchmen :D

I had to watch Confessions of a Shopaholic last night and it was pretty awful. Personally I find this kind of thing insulting and degrading of women. It was about as funny as shrimp pâté and poor John Goodman looked as if he was about to collapse and die at any given moment.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    New trailer out for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, check out my topic on it in the Regional chapter.

The new Friday the 13th was OK, at least it had more of Jason in it then the original. But it's been done so much it doesn't feel interesting, and sure as hell not scarey.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    A clip and behind the scenes video from Watchmen available to see now

http://watchmen.uk.msn.com/video.aspx

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Watchmen has been given an 18 cert and has a run time of 160 mins. All good news :D

Saw Push earlier this week and I can think of plenty of puns using the title of the film to summarise its quality.

The re-hash of Friday the 13th was poor. I did enjoy My Bloody Valentine though. Far more successful as a 'nuts & bolts' modern horror flick.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Suprised at Watchmen being an 18. Not read it, but the trailer certainly didn't give the impression it was that Adult, plus trailers for it ran with lower-rated movies.

Still, stops idiotic teenagers ruining the show, plus we have it in IMAX so adults are more likely to appreciate it that way.

And pay the extra money for it :p

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    There are very good reasons why it's got an 18 cert, which would be clear if you've read it. The good thing is that they haven't tried to drastically alter the story to get a more commercial 12A or even a 15 cert. This is an assumption mind, based on the fact it's got that 18 cert.

I'd be tempted to see it at the IMAX. But it would have to be the BFI IMAX, not digital IMAX which is a bit of a con really (sorry Ritchie :p ). Credit to them and Odeon for investing in the technology, and it's better then no IMAX but ultimately it is a cheaper and inferior system to proper IMAX. I'm even less convinced digital projection is the future too with the problems that have been occurring of late. Still needs a good 5-10 years to get anywhere near as reliable as I'd like it to be, plus 35mm is far more efficient from a business point-of-view.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hard to run 3D without digital though, and Disney have stated that as of 2010 they only want to make 3D movies.
    Cinemas without 3D capable screens will miss out then.

I'm inclined to agree, everyone loves the giant BFI size IMAX, even if it's 70mm film is not as high quality as digital. IMAX must be as much about the experience as the technology, and all small digi-IMAX offers is a normal sized screen in blu-ray form.

I'd go with a huge screen anyday, but since we can't fit one in I'll make do with the one I can watch for free :p

I'm not a projectionist so I know not so much about how film strip projecting works compared to digital stuff. But I do know that when problems occur such as reels falling off then they take a long time to fix if they can be fixed at all without having to cancel showings for most of the day.
    The only problem I've heard regarding digital projectors is that they overheat, and that's only if you buy cheap ones :p

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    3D is, if not already, the next step and lots of cinema sites will have to have 3D screens and equipment installed if they want to be competitive. Lots of sites do already have digital projectors which can be modified to run 3D. The cinema just needs to front the cash and get things moving which can take a bit of time. But it will need to be done imo, and Odeon have done well to keep on-track.
    The problems I have with IMAX digital are that it just isn't IMAX. It's just a slighter better experience then what a 2K digital projector can do, with the addition of an excellent sound system. I don't think it should be called digital IMAX but I think they're keen to expand their brand in a cost-effective fashion, which this is compared to the real thing.

Believe me, digital has its fair share of problems, lol. The RAID drives failing is becoming quite common now, which results in the picture and sound freezing randomly which completely spoils the film. And you can't move a digital print to another screen to take advantage of high (or low) demand. 35mm provides plenty of flexibility which can help generate a small fortune.
    35mm can have its fair share of problems too, but if the equipment is well maintained and you know what you're doing, then this greatly reduces the problems. With digital, you're pretty much in the lap of the Gods and I really don't like that.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    In terms of 3D certainly the IMAX is superior in both formats.

Bolt 3D on a standard digital screen barely lloks 3D at all, the characters simply look like they're forward of the background. The action isn't flying in your face so much.

With the IMAX 3D not only is it clearer but everything on the screen is drawn to your attention, you really notice the 3D.

That will be the selling point, especially for Harry Potter which will be part 3D

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Given up taking sugar in your tea, but can't get on with Candarel?

Try Hotel for Dogs. I saw that on a free ticket with a mate who wanted company, and that was so fragging Saccharine, it could be used as artificial sweetener.

Yeeuch!!

I am planning to see Push this week, but only because it is the only vaguely good-looking poster on the cinema wall.

23. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    lol,
    jase,you choose what film to see based on the movie poster?
    yikes.

mmm,watchmen...

not long now.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Odeon is running a promotion at the moment offering a small Watchmen collectors book for anyone who buys a food combo deal. Seems a nice little thing, just shows the characters in the movie compared to how they looked in the original graphic novel.

25. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    If things go accordingly, I might see it tomorrow night. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this one though....... [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.