main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I strongly recommend Disney/Pixar's UP to all. It is one of the best of their movies and the scope of the picture is expanded well in the 3D version.
    It works well for both adults and children, there were numerous people reduced to tears watching this film.

Pixar will be hard pushed to make Toy Story 3 better.

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Yeah, I was one of those reduced to tears, lol. It was a great film, not sold on the 3D though.

I also highly recommend Fantastic Mr Fox. Really enjoyed this but not sure if it's really the film it should be. It's definitely aimed for adults and even then you have to like a certain kind of film to understand it. I do hope kids respond well to it though, even if it's a small minority only.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've not seen it yet, but if it's like the book then kids should enjoy it. Dahl has always been a hugely popular kids author for good reason.

4. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    me again,
    i was over on one of the other forums looking something out,and thought i'd poke my head round the door and see what's going on here...

i'm about to watch 'bride of frankenstein' to get the missus in a halloween mood.
    it's a classic,you know.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I watched Halloween last night seeing as it was the only good horror movie on TV.

I saw Fantastic Mr Fox and found it very enjoyable. Good voice cast and the stop-motion animation worked very well.
    Having not read the book for a long time I can't tell how accurate the movie is in relation to it.

The only thing I found slightly confusing in the movie was which country they set it in. Obviously the book was set in England, and the farmers int he movie are english and the landscape looks a lot like it does here. However, the animal group features and Opossum and a Wolf appears at one point. Neither of these animals live in this country.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Have recently seen The Fourth Kind. It wasn't a bad movie and had some decent fright moments. It had an interesting style, but that was also a bit to it's detriment as it tried too hard to convince me that the footage was "real" when I knew it wasn't.
    It was also a little too horror and not enough sci-fi. Possession and levitation is the sort of thing I expect to see in The Exorcist, not a movie about beings from another world.

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
  8. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    We went to see the Sherlock Holmes movie and my boyfriend loved it and I quite liked it too. I imagined things differently from my readings of the book but did not see a problem with this particular interpretation of things.

I never saw a Jude Law or Guy Ritchie movie; the first I somewhat dislike personally, the second made movies whose contenct I somewhat dislike personally. However, Jude Law shown good acting and we didn't know it was a Ritchie movie until the credits. Downie Jr was great as Holmes, although not what I imagined the character like. It was a long time ago I read a Holmes book and funnily, thinking back the characters on screen were like the characters I read about but somehow, the movie gave it an interesting twist.

The music wasn't that interesting, the special effects were effective, the lady characters great, and my particular favourites were the drawings at the end during the credits. Stunning.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I also liked Sherlock Holmes. It didn't take itself too seriously and the chemistry between the leading cast was good. I look forward to the next one.

I see that Avatar is up for 9 Oscars at this year's Academy Awards, along with The Hurt Locker.

While it does indeed have awesome visuals, it is rather long and lacking in plotline. I'd be suprised if it won more then 5 Oscars or won either of the big prizes (Best Director, Best Film). But the Academy do like a market leader so they may reward it based purely on it becoming the Highest Grossing Movie of All Time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.