main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Symphony Orchestra is coming to Raleigh

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by UniversalDestiny, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Heya Everyone,

I just stumbled across this article while searching TheForce.net
    ----From TheForce.Net--

The London Symphony Orchestra will be touring the US (and one stop in Toronto) in September. It is part of their "The Music Of Hollywood" tour. Here's their schedule:
    DALLAS - Fri Sept 3
    HOUSTON - Sat Sept 4
    SAN ANTONIO - Sun Sept 5
    ATLANTA - Tue Sept 7
    RALEIGH - Wed Sept 8
    NASHVILLE - Fri Sept 10
    ST. LOUIS - Sat Sept 11
    INDIANAPOLIS - Sun Sept 12
    CINCINNATI - Mon Sept 13
    COLUMBUS - Tue Sept 14
    PITTSBURGH - Thu Sept 16
    DETROIT - Fri Sept 17
    TORONTO - Sat Sept 18
    CLEVELAND - Sun Sept 19
    CHICAGO - Mon Sept 20

They will be playing music from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, James Bond, Jurassic Park, and more. For details visit http://www.musicofhollywood.com/. Thanks to 'Crix' for the alert!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right people they are coming to Raleigh! I'm definately interested in going to this how about anyone else?

-UD
    aka TR-7483 "The Trainer of the Guard"

2. Anakin_Solo06

Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2004
    Intrested but never been to see them or heard about them before.

3. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    The London Symphony Orchestra is a well known orchestra and playing some great pieces to boot! I will deffinately have to try to make this one - it will be fun! :)

4. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    I'll definatly be trying to go. :) thats awesome!

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Intrested but never been to see them or heard about them before.

If you've heard the Star Wars soundtracks, you've heard them before. They performed all the original soundtracks.

The website says they'll also be showing movie clips on big screens with a laser show and some sort of high-wire flying thing. This sounds like it'll be an excellent show!

6. Blackdog

Blackdog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2003
    If John Williams himself were there, hell yeah I'd go.

7. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    John Williams will not be there but they will be led by Dirk Bosse', who's a fine composer and conductor in his own right. With both Star Wars and LOTR music being played, I'll 501st this and NCFellowship this. Sensors indicate a full blown costume event.

8. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    I am sooooooooooo there! Anyone know if tickets are on sale yet? I am not missing that show!

Chris

9. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Tickets are on sale. Sean of the 501st already is aware of it and making contacts. I've posted this to the NC Fellowship LOTR gang boards.

10. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Awesome! I should have my Stormtrooper Armor by then as well, so I can troop with all of you if they allow it once again, that would be sswweeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!

Chris

11. UniversalDestiny

Oct 25, 2001
    One Word: Sweet!!!

-UD

12. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Sean said to let everyone know they are definitely trooping this baby.

13. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Jim Epps says Sean is running this one so contact Sean if you want in on this concert as a 501st.

14. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Calling all Jedi and Rebel Legion! We will have David Prowse at LSO... no excuses not to be there in costume!

Here's the message straight from the 501st!

troopers:
    just to let you know WE are going to have Dave Prowes aka Darth Vader
    with us at the LSO, Carolina Garrison has a reputation for going
    above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to LFL events, for
    those who remember we had Peter Mayhew at our IMAX event, so we
    figured this would be a great idea for us to "boost" ourselves above
    the rest of the garrisons lucky enough to even have a LSO event. i am
    opening this up to the rebel legion so if you have "extra robes
    laying around" bring a friend and lets show the Legion that
    THIS IS WHY THE 501st STARTED IN THE CAROLINAS!!!!!!!!

here is who and what we have so far:

Raleigh, NC at the RBC Center
    Concert Date: Sept. 8, 2004 Wednesday
    Concert Begins at: 7:30pm we get there at 6pm
    www.musicofhollywood.com

David Prowess
    Sean - ID, TD, Jango
    Al Del - TK
    Todd Lacy - TK
    Don W -TR
    Tony C -TD
    Jim E -TK
    Cheralyn -Leia (prefer a Leia so we have a "voice")
    Justin -TK
    Stuart -TK
    Dave D -TK
    BJ TI,ID
    Felix Darth Vader
    Brian J -TK
    Chris B -Jedi
    Chris Bartlett Boba Fett
    Jeff A -TI (little anakin too?)
    Jane W -TR

From VA:
    Pam Jedi
    Bill TK

15. UniversalDestiny

Oct 25, 2001
    I have decided that I am taking my school books with me if I have a test the next day. I am requesting it off from work ahead of time.

So before armoring up I will be studying, during our down time if we aren't downstairs doing something, I'm studying. David Prowse...Vader. AWESOME!

Also, I want to get my RG converted to Kir Kanos by that time if possible. i.e. Guard in Red and Black.

One word: SWEET!

Don, I think we need to have an Armor Mod Party before this incase anyone needs to do any mods to costumes or armor.

I would like to get some velcro put in on the inner part of my guard to hold the cloak shut before then.

Just a suggestion...

But to have Vader there. I mean the man who portayed Vader is going to be well worth it!

Also, if anyone doesn't have a costume, and you are about my height let me know and I'll let you wear my Sidious costume if I don't have Kanos by then.

Yours Truly,

Janers
    aka TR-7483
    aka Darth Sidious

16. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    does everyone think it would be appropiate to ask David Prowse to sign a Vader Unleashed fig for me if I can meet him face to face?

thanks

Robby

17. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Have you talked with Sean? I don't know what Mr. Prowse's availability is to us 501st-ers. Run it by him. You might be able to get a sig without they typical $20 fee, but I'd be prepared with a freshly minted Jackson to give to Mr. Prowse if you get to meet him.

Here's the listing of what the LSO is playing at the concert!
    ALFRED NEWMAN 20th Century Fox Fanfare
    RICHARD A WHITING (arr. CHAMBERS) Hooray for Hollywood
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Raiders March from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'
    ERICH KORNGOLD Overture: Captain Blood
    MAX STEINER Tara's Theme from 'Gone with the Wind'
    JAMES HORNER My Heart Will Go On from 'Titanic'
    JERRY GOLDSMITH End Title from 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture'
    TREVOR JONES Around the World in 80 Days ? Suite
    JOHN BARRY Main Title from 'Out Of Africa'
    RON GOODWIN Main Title from 'Where Eagles Dare'
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Theme from 'Jurassic Park'
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL Adagio and Transfiguration from 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within'
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Flying Theme from 'E.T.'
    BILL CONTI Main Theme from 'Rocky'
    DANNY ELFMAN Tim Burton?s The Nightmare Before Christmas ? Orchestral Suite
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Hedwig's Theme from 'Harry Potter'
    HANS ZIMMER Gladiator ? Suite
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Main Theme from 'Schindler?s List'
    MAURICE JARRE Overture: Lawrence of Arabia
    HENRI MANCINI Main Title from 'The Pink Panther'
    JOHN T WILLIAMS Main Title/Leia?s Theme/End Title from 'Star Wars'

18. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    En email was sent to the 501st from the symphany and it was cancelled. That indeed sucks because it was to be my 1st offical trooping under the 501st banner. @#$%it!

19. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
  20. UniversalDestiny

Oct 25, 2001
    And I was looking forward to meeting David Prowse :( It's not fair!

21. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Aug 3, 2003
    I found this over on the Knoxville, TN boards. Posted by a person named Jar Jar who got it off the website for the tour...---BFo9
    -----------------------
    "Well it looks like we finally have a reason for why the tour was cancelled, not that it was any kind of big shock or anything. I nearly burst into tears as I read this off of the concert website, but then again, no I didn't." ~Jar Jar

It is with deeply sincere regret that I was forced to cancel what was, to me, the dream of a lifetime. It was not lightly done, for I had worked for the past three years to put this tour together with some of the finest musicians in the world, playing some of the most stirring, moving music in the world. And all this bound together with some spectacular special effects. I know there was nothing like these concerts going to be performed anywhere in the world, this year or next.

We didn?t rush into this. Two and one half years ago, we piloted the concept in Nashville and Birmingham. It was a great success ? selling for example over 7,000 tickets for one night only in Nashville. Based on those early experiences we put together even better shows for 2004. The venue managers/owners, and our marketing partners in each of the cities foresaw a great success for everyone, perhaps something that could become a tradition.

But the early ticket sales were just not there and despite extra marketing and advertising money being committed, they remained slow, coming nowhere near to the patterns originally established in Nashville and Birmingham. Why, we asked ourselves? And we talked to many experts in the field in the cities where we were about to perform. Most said the market was very slow for all performing arts.

But I still don?t get it.

We had what I thought was the best concert experience in the world. We certainly had the best, most recorded symphony orchestra in the world. And there is no doubt about the immense power and appeal of the music.

But in the end our ticket sales overall were at about a third of our predictions with only a few days to go before the opening of the tour. And apart from the further losses we would incur, we were on the verge of giving a less than perfect experience to our audiences as they would sit in half empty halls, lacking the emotion and excitement that a full or nearly full house brings to everyone ? both onstage and in the audience.

So one dark and sleepless night I decided I had to cancel my dream, and perhaps in a small way it was your dream too. For that I am extremely sorry. Maybe there will be another time, when conditions are better, more secure; in which case I will write to all of you with a very special offer.

Thank you for your support.

Jeff Bown
    President and CEO
    Jeff Bown Productions

that is sad. what is the world coming to when we loose interest in performing arts? When "50 Cent" gets higher ticket sales than the frickin LONDON SYMPHANY ORCHESTRA??? ugh....

22. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Fully expected the reason to be lack of sales, I did. Truly this is distressing, Boba_Fett_of_9, however, The market for all live performances are down in this bad time. Ticket sales even for the Carolina Hurricanes must be bad. Few have such disposable income. Smaller venues would have been a better choice in the long run, but making a profit sufficient to go on tour in smaller houses would have been better. Perhaps 1000 folks in Meymandi hall or Greensboro Coliseum would be better :( don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.