main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Long and Winding Road---Link to Sequel NOW up! 5/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediKnight-Obi-Wan, Nov 22, 2000.

1. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Hello! I hope the title of this isn't taken, I looked over the first ten pages to check.

This fic tells the story of Meri Irhanah and Alex Arieh from the beginning. For those of you who didn't want to wade through the massive UsJs thread here it is. For those of you who have read the UsJs thread, this is AU from UsJs UP to a certain point. The end result will be the same. A few other things stay the same.
    I'm not sure how much Obi will be in this fic, if at all. We'll just have to see.
    And I might warn you, if you don't like the idea of romance then you might not want to read this. It won't be really mushy, I don't think. But the element of romance is there, however not till later.

With that said, the first few post are sort of what you could call snapshots. I don't know how many of these will be snapshots before I hit the real story, but just so you know thats what they are, and I'll number them as well. *G*
    As with Darkest I will post on this when School allowes and I hope you stick with me!
    Without further ado, here is the first post!

Snapshot 1.
    Timeframe: Meri is 13.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

"Meri!" the call rang through the small quarters and it was only a moment before a pattering of light feet was heard hurrying towards the main room. The Jedi Master smiled to herself. Her padawan--Meri Irhanah--was always quick to obey, and though the young teen did have a dry wit, she was always eager to please.

Yet, there *were* those times when the padawan couldn't seem to stay *out* of trouble. However, those times usually involved another padawan by the name of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Keep the two separated and there was never a problem, but together they seemed to find never-ending trouble.

Hazel eyes flashed in amusement as the young teen in mind swept softly into the room, coming to a stop before her Master.

The padawan immediately noticed her Master's amusement, and a slender brow rose in question.

Ignoring the questioning look, Master Ariana Caer gestured to a stack of leather bound books on the table. "I have an errand for you to run, Meri."

"Joy," the padawan said dryly after giving the stack a cursory glance.

"Such enthusiasm," Ariana teased.
    "These books I borrowed need to be delivered back to Master Gallia and since I knew you'd rather do anything but study..." she trailed off, eyes sparkling.

The padawan flashed her Master a smile and moved to pick up the books.
    Ariana had to help put the last two in her padawan's full arms.

"Are you sure you can carry all of these? Two trips may be necessary."
    Tall and slender, Ariana stood looking at her padawan, a finger placed on her chin in thought. The Master's honey colored hair hung down around her back, free from the confines of a braid for the day.

The young teen shook her head. "No, Master. I can manage."

Ariana shook her head, amusement tipping her lips at the sight of the thirteen year old all but buried under the stack.
    "Let me get the door then,"

Meri didn't object as she carefully navigated her way out of the apartment, having to peek around the tall stack of books to see.

Ariana stared after the padawan, wondering if she'd make it all the way to Adi Gallia's with the books still intact. Shaking her head, a smile on her face, the Master turned back into the apartment and shut the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meri was half way there and breathing slightly faster than normal. It was a challenge to navigate the hallways without running into a corner whenever she needed to turn. Peeking around the tall stack of books she saw the last turn coming up and carefully shifted the heavy books in her arms. The books were heavier than they had first seemed.
    //Just a little bit further,// she though thankfully.
    Just as she went around the corner she heard the sound of rushing feet, and before she could get out of the way, someone slammed into her sending she and the books flying backwards. Meri hit the wall with a stunned "Oomph" and the various books scattered the length of the sho

2. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    good story so far.

3. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    *feints*

Yay!!!!! I didn't realise it would start so soon! Thanks JediKnight Obi-Wan!

I love the interaction with her Master. And the Padawan! Great start, more soon?

Imzadi

4. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    Oh WOW!! I've wanted to read about Meri and Alex's first meeting and their early years together for sooooo long, but I was afraid to ask you to write it!!! This is GREAT!!!! :D

5. Fleet Admiral

Fleet Admiral Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    Woo!!
    Another story about my favorites jedi pair...
    I think I have die and gone to heaven...

Err.. Now I have not mood whatsoever in studying!!!! I wish I can have an exam on SW characters.. that I way I can get A++
    Nice start.. I have always wondered the first meeting between them.. But I did not expect this! Way to go JKOW!!

Now I have one more thread to watch closely by!! hehe

6. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I love it already. *starts to sing* I know who that Padawan is, I know who that Padawan is!

I'm really excited about seeing these snapshots from Meri's earlier life and finding out what happened before USJS started. Keep writing!

7. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay, moving right along. For those of you who have read UsJs you know what's going on here. Those of you who haven't, be curious but you'll find out really soon what happened. *G*
    This snapshot may stretch out into parts 2A, 2B, 2H, ect. because this has a lot to cover.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Snapshot 2.

TimeFrame: Meri is 14. One year later from last snapshot.

Disclaimer: An Paj is owned and created by Jane Jinn. I thank you for making him Jane, and letting us borrow him so often. If I write him wrong please don't hesitate to speak up!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

An Paj walked softly into the dark room where Meri Irhanah lay curled on the bed. Coming to a stop at the side, the blue healer's antenna drooped in sadness. The death of Ariana Caer had shaken all who had known her, but it had devastated her padawan. For the past four days, Meri had been in the infirmary. The first day she was treated for the shock caused by the broken bond. The healers had expected her to come out of the daze she was in, but she hadn?t.

The fourteen year old stared blankly at the wall, a fixed frown on her small brow, the sheets clutched tightly in her hands. She did not acknowledged the head healer's presence, and did not seem to hear the whispered voices as An-Paj conferred with the healer who had been watching over her ever since her Master's death four days ago.

"Has she said anything yet?"

"No, Master An Paj."

"Meri?" The healer's soft voice addressed her next, but the padawan's eyes only flickered to show she had even heard him.

"Meri!" he said more forcefully.

//Leave me alone..// The anguish filled thought never reached her lips.

An Paj straightened up slightly. As a Healer and a Jedi, he had the ability of telepathic power, and Meri had made no effort to shield the thought. It was the first she had responded to anyone since her Master's death, but the way in which she had responded was not a good sign.

"I can't do that, padawan," he said quietly. He refused to speak with her telepathically, knowing he needed to draw her out from the pain she was drowning in.

//DON?T call me that.// Her eyes were now clenched tightly shut.

Again her unshielded thought surprised the healer, this time more from the thought itself, than that she had responded. "Why?" he questioned softly.

//I'm not worthy to be called a padawan...// The thought was filled with burning agony, and the young teen?s small frame trembled.

It was then it fell into place for An Paj. She blamed herself for her Master's death. "No, Meri. This was *not* your fault. You were obeying the Council and your Master. There was nothing you could have done!"

Deep brown eyes full of suffering finally broke away from the wall and looked up at the healer. With lips trembling and a small tremulous voice Meri finally spoke, her voice rising as she did so. "I should have been there! It is my responsibility as a padawan. I took an Oath!"

"No, Meri! This was NOT your fault!" An Paj insisted firmly.

Turning her gaze back to the wall, Meri acted as though she hadn't heard him. //Please, leave me alone,// and with that final thought Meri's impenetrable shields fell back into place.

An Paj stepped back, realizing the conversation was closed. Turning to the somewhat startled healer at the bedside, An Paj shook his head.
    "I'll be back in the morning. Watch her closely tonight," he warned softly. He didn't think Meri would try anything drastic, but he wasn't going to risk it. With once last glance at the young girl, An Paj walked quickly out of room, shutting the door softly behind him.

Once he was gone, the healer by the bed heard a quivering sigh emanate from the girl curled on her side. Yet still, there were no tears.

8. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    That was great! It was very effective how you described Meri's actions. It really set the scene and portrayed her grief. I think An-Paj was also written very true to character. You built the tension really well too. More soon?

Imzadi

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    More Meri and Alex....how wonderful!!!

Loved the way their destinies collided in the first post, LOL! Poor Meri, loosing her Master.

Thnaks for another thread to read JWOK!

10. DMC

DMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2000
    This is good!

11. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Oh good, I'm glad you get to use An-Paj! He is the perfect person for that scene. Who will recommend Alex? Will the Council try other tactics first? I love this story so much already, JKOW! ^_^

12. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    Oooo I like this story so far. Post more!!!

13. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    What happened? How did Meri's master die? Was Meri there with her, or back at the Temple? Is Meri going to try anything drastic to-night? Can't wait for more!

An-Paj sounded right to me, especially the part about his antennae drooping.

14. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Will you post more tonight, JKOW? Please!!! :)

15. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thanks for all your replies!
    Jane all your questions will be answered eventually. *G*
    Onward bound!
    You know I don't know if I should number the Snapshots. I may get through the whole alphabet with snapshot 2. Hee!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Snapshot 2A
    Timeframe: Meri is 14

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

An Paj had just sank into the chair behind his desk the next morning when a flustered healer swept into his office.

"Master An Paj, I'm so sorry to interrupt but...,"

An Paj sighed as he recognized the healer assigned to watch over Meri Irhanah. "Do you know where she went?" he interrupted before the healer finished the sentence.

"No, Master. I'm sorry, Master An Paj. I didn't meant to fall asle.."

"It's alright," An Paj cut in again. "Send out a search team, then you may be excused Healer Lilia." Nodding her head thankfully the healer slipped out of the room quietly.

As he sat silently in thought his assistant, Healer Zavian, walked in with an armful of records. A shy young man, Healer Zavian had just passed from a padawan to a full-fledged healer. One of his gifts was his sensitivity to what others were feeling, and what they were going through.

"Master An Paj," the younger healer greeted with a nod.

"Good morning, Zavian," An Paj nodded back. For a few moments he was silent as he watched the young healer replace the files.

"Zavian, I want to ask your opinion on a patient."

With a surprised look, the healer glanced up. "Yes Master?"

"You have seen Meri Irhanah recently haven't you?"

"Yes, Master. Yesterday afternoon."

An Paj didn't miss the obvious sorrow the young man felt at the thought of the encounter. "Your opinion, Zavian?" An Paj asked softly.

The younger healer's gray eyes lowered briefly, before rising again to meet those of An Paj. "She has a long road ahead of her, Master."

"That is not what I asked, Zavian," the older healer said gently.

An Paj heard a troubled sigh from the young assistant. "Let me ask you this, Zavian. You have known Padawan Irhanah almost as long as I have. You've helped treat her before, when still only an apprentice healer yourself. So, tell me, do you think she has held a bond with Ariana Caer since her infancy?"

Zavian looked at him baffled, but An Paj could see he was thinking about it. The older healer continued, "Ariana Caer was the one who *brought* Meri, as a baby, to the Temple, and she took her as an apprentice when Meri was only nine. If she's held a bond with Meri for that long...," he trailed off leaving the young healer to finish the thought.

An Paj let the young man think about it for a minute before prodding him for an answer. "Zavian, your thoughts?"
    An Paj knew what he was suggesting was serious. One of the main reasons that the initiates had a Crèche Master, and were not apprenticed to a Knight, was because they became too attached. A bond that was formed that young was deemed dangerous by the Council, and for good reason. When a child formed a bond as an infant, they became dependent on that bond, and once Knighthood was reached it was an extremely hard crossover for both the Master and Padawan to make.

However, if a bond such as that were to be broken prematurely, and by surprise, An Paj wasn't sure what would happen. He had known many padawans who had lost Masters, and though they grieved, they overcame quickly, and accepted their loss. He had never had one react as Meri was; yet if what he suspected was true then her reaction should come as no surprise.

"Zavian?" An Paj insistently questioned the still silent healer, "Zavian, do you think she held a bond with Master Caer since infancy?"

Zavian's nod was heavy. "Yes, Master An Paj, I do."

An Paj sighed, "This is going to be very hard on her."

Zavian only nodded in agreement, his gray eyes troubled.

16. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Poor Meri! I really like the interaction between An-Paj and Zavian, and how they were discussing it. Very poignant. Great post!

Imzadi

17. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Oh wow, oh Wow, Oh WOW!!! I never thought about that kind of bond. It would almost be like a life bond. Meri is certainly in deep trouble, she has no concept of how to live without it there. Oh, wow.. that was excellent JKOW and really great!

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A bond since infancy? That would be a terrible, horrible thing to loose.

Poor Meri...ok now, where's Alex? How will he decide to take her as padawan. How will Meri overcome her pain???

19. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    i loved that encounter between alex and meri! if it weren't for my sleeping roommates, i'd be singing gleefully right now that you've started this new thread! :)

20. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Here's another post. I don't think it's as good as my previous, but not too bad I hope.
    I promise, it won't stay this depressing. Not so, I lie. hehe Well, we'll just have to see.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Snapshot 2B
    Timeframe: Same

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I guessed that this is where she would be," An-Paj said as he walked down the hallway with Zavian.

"She is trying to get as close as possible to her Master,? Zavian observed softly as they stopped outside a Master/Padawan apartment. Nodding to the healer who had taken guard at the door, An-Paj and Zavian quietly entered the apartment.

Shortly after the search team had been sent out, they had found Meri in her Master's quarters holding on to one of Ariana's old robes and acting as though she would never let go. This was the same scene An-Paj walked in on, as he entered Ariana's old bedroom. Meri sat huddled against a wall holding onto the robe, her face buried in the brown garment. Zavian paused in the doorway, his face frozen in sorrow as he felt the waves of pain and grief rolling off the young girl.

"Meri?" An-Paj asked gently as he knelt in front of her. To his surprise, he heard a whimper, then a heart-wrenching sob.
    The small girl's shoulders shook as the tears fell thicker and faster.

"Master?!" The whispered cry was a desperate plea, but An-Paj knew she wasn't calling him. She was oblivious to his presence, calling out for the one who had left such a massive void in her life. An-Paj could see she was working herself into hysteria as her sobs grew louder, and she started crying out repeatedly for her Master.

With the lightest of touches, An-Paj sent a Force suggestion of sleep to Meri, and wasn't surprised when her body readily accepted the suggestion, and the tears subsided. Picking her up, he frowned when he felt her weight. Just five days had changed a bright and healthy girl into only a shadow of her former self. Gently he placed her on her Master's bed, and then covered her with the brown robe, his heart heavy.

Turning, he saw Zavian standing in the doorway, his gray eyes wet. Neither of them spoke until they were back in the main room.

"It is good she finally cried. Are you going to leave her here?" Zavian asked softly.

An-Paj nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, she needs to stay here until a new Master is found. It is familiar to her, the smells and sights."

"A new Master? So soon?" the younger healer asked in surprise.

"As soon as possible. If she won't let me in, she won't let a mind-healer in. The only person she is going to let in is her Master. She doesn?t know how to cope without that bond, there is no one there for her. A new Master and bond certainly won't make it exactly as it was, but it will help her learn how to start dealing with this."

"Do you think she?ll accept a new Master?"

"I think she will, but we have to find her the right one first. Not many Knights are going to be willing to take this on," An-Paj said grimly.

"Where are you going to start?" Zavian asked.

"I'm going to speak with Master Yoda."

21. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Again, poor Meri! The way you describe her crying etc is excellent, it really sets the scene. I really like An-Paj's involvement too. Great post, more soon please!

22. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    And the plot thickens! I liked how you showed the terrible grief Meri feels through the healers perspective. And its very important how you explained how difficult it will be to find a new master for her and what a long road to recovery it will be. So, what is so special about Alex that he will get the job? :) Thank you for the great post!

23. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    That's our An-Paj, getting right to the root of the problem and seeing the solution! Good! Poor Meri, having a bond that's been there since infancy suddenly ripped away. How will the Council decide that Alex is the one? I can't wait to find out!

24. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    De-lurking to let you know this is awsum.

25. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    JKOW, I am in serious heaven here! Two of my favorite characters with a thread all of their own.

I wish you LOTS of time to post! ;)