main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Long and Winding Road---Link to Sequel NOW up! 5/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediKnight-Obi-Wan, Nov 22, 2000.

1. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay, here is a shorty with our little crazy Yoda. *G*
    I WILL get to why Meri thinks her Master's death is her fault, so NO I didn't forget.

And Jane I really hope you don't mind me using An-Paj so much. Let me know if you do.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Snapshot 2C
    Timeframe: Same

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was late afternoon by the time An-Paj met with Yoda. He had already told the Master about Meri?s problem, and Yoda had agreed with the healer; Meri had held a life long bond with Ariana. The venerable Jedi Master had sent word for An-Paj to meet him in the main training room. An-Paj was curious as to why Yoda had chosen such a busy place to meet, but he had learned long ago if you started trying to figure out Master Yodas reasoning you'd be "figuring" for a long time.

Stepping into the training room, the blue healer looked around for Master Yoda, and saw him standing in the corner of the large room, watching two Knights sparring. A few other pairs of Jedi were spread throughout the room, some Masters training their padawans, and some simply Jedi Knights practicing.
    As An-Paj approached Yoda, the elder Jedi turned to face him.

"Master Yoda," the healer greeted with a bow.

"Hmm," Yoda nodded back. ?Something to say??

"Yes Master, about Meri Irhanah," An-Paj said, glancing at the two Knights sparring near by. A loud THUMP was heard as one Knight threw the other across the mat.

"Hmmm, a great loss was Master Caer. Strong was the bond they held, hard it will be for her padawan,? the small Master said softly.

"Yes, Master Yoda. Concerning what has happened I think it best for Padawan Irhanah to have a new Master as soon as possible. I was hoping you would have someone in mind who would be willing and qualified enough to take her on." An-Paj waited expectantly for the older Jedi to answer him, but Yoda instead had turned and was watching the sparring Knights with renewed interest.

An-Paj glanced at the Knights and then back at Yoda. The battle between the two Knights was increasing in intensity, and An-Paj looked closer at the two fighters. One was older, at least 28, his hair a fiery red. Unlike his opponent, the redhead was short and stocky. In contrast the other was very young, no more than 22 An-Paj would guess; he was also much taller than the other was. His hair was a midnight black, and just growing out of a padawan cut, evidence that he had only recently passed his trials.
    With a quick move the younger Jedi disarmed the older Knight and stood holding his deep blue blade pointed at his opponent?s neck. An-Paj blinked in surprise, he hadn't even seen the move, so fast was it executed.
    Shaking his head, he turned back to Yoda and back to the business at hand. "Master Yoda?" he finally questioned the small Master.

Without turning his gaze from the Knights who were turning to leave, Yoda spoke. "Have someone in mind I do."

An-Paj followed his gaze to the black haired Knight and had to bite back the protest that immediately sprang to mind. Had Master Yoda gone mad?!

2. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    Nope, Master Yoda isn't senile yet, heehee! Short but excellent is just fine with me JKOW! :D Yoda will have to do a lot of convincing to bring An-Paj around. :)

3. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Wonderful post! How you described Yoda is very true to his character, and how I would imagine the other characters would see him. (If that makes sense). I can't wait for Master Yoda's ah, 'plan'. Thanks for posting again so soon!

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Of course I don't mind you using An-Paj so much. I think it's great, I like seeing through his eyes! And this post was good, too. I liked the image of Alex as a newly-made knight, with his hair growing out of a Padawan cut, but I'm still wondering why Yoda thinks he's the one. What IS the deciding factor? Can't wait to find out!

5. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thanks Jane, guys.
    Okay, here's the post you've been waiting for Jane. The "why" behind Master Yoda's choice. Or is it? *G*
    Feedback: Please guys. It really motivates me to write when I see your replies!

Snapshot 2D
    Timeframe: Same ole same ole.

Zavian was reading a report when the door to the office swung open and An-Paj strode in. Having known the older healer since he himself was a young padawan, Zavian could easily see that the meeting with Master Yoda hadn't gone well, or at least not as An-Paj had planned.

An amused grin tilting his lips, Zavian shook his head. "That bad, huh? Who is it?"

An-Paj shot the young man an exasperated look. "You'll never guess, I promise you that."

"Oh, come on. It can't be all that bad."

An-Paj was silent for a moment then looked over at Zavian who was looking at him expectantly. "He was only knighted six months ago," the words dropped like a bomb, and for a moment Zavian was too astounded to speak.
    "How old is he?" the younger healer finally asked in disbelief.

"I thought he was 22, but I was wrong." The blue healer's face was impassive, but one of his antennas jerked sporadically.

"Ohh, well, that?s good. I would think that?s a little too you..,"

"He just turned 21." The words from An-Paj stopped Zavian cold. Dead silence invaded the room as Zavian took this in.

"Okay, what is it about this Knight that makes Master Yoda think he can handle this." Zavian's curiosity had taken over the shock.

An-Paj sighed and rubbed his forehead thoughtfully. "Well, you know how Master Yoda asked me to meet him in the training rooms?"

Zavian nodded.

"Well, it seems that the reason he did so, was so that I could see this Knight in action."

"Fighting?" Zavian questioned, perplexed.

An-Paj half nodded. "That, and something else. It seems this Alex Arieh has a special gift with children. Training them. In fact, Master Yoda told me that he helped younger padawans with their studies when he was only a padawan himself. He is very talented, and not just in helping others, it seems. We watched him teach a class today."

Zavian's brow wrinkled in thought. "What did you think?"

An-Paj let out another measured sigh. "He's good. The children adored him," the healer paused. "But Meri Irhanah is no child. She's a *teenager*. A troubled *female* teenager," he emphasized.

They younger healer barely managed to hide his smirk at An-Paj's words.
    Zavian knew it wasn't supposed to be funny, but the implication An-Paj was making about human female teens in general amused him.

"And a responsibility held a few times a week, and a responsibility that must be carried out daily, hourly, is much different," the blue healer continued.

"That is true," Zavian admitted. "Perhaps he would surprise us. Youth does not always mean irresponsibility," he winked. "Just look at me."

An-Paj snorted. "That's not all that bothers me, though. They?re only seven years apart for sith's sake, and barely that!"

"She's *only* fourteen, Master. I don't think what you're thinking could happen." Zavian was beginning to warm to Master Yoda's idea.

"And he's only twenty-one," An-Paj countered.

"So you've said," the healer murmured. Zavian's voice suddenly dropped into a serious tone. "I don't think it fair to judge a man I've never met, Master. Therefore, I can not judge him on his code of honor. Surely Master Yoda has already thought of these concerns, and if he suggested him, he must have a great deal of confidence in this Knight."

"He did more than suggest him," An-Paj sighed. "But you're right. I trust Yoda's judgement, but let it be known now. I have my doubts. I just don't want Meri hurt further by an act of the inexperienced. At this point I don't think she could handle it."

"They are fair concerns, Master, but I think the two should meet. And something tells me that Master Yoda knows more about why these two should be a pair than he's letting on."

For the first time

6. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Ooh! That was excellent! Please tell me you're writing the scene where Alex finds out?! That would be great! Anyways, thanks for the wonderful post!

7. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Okay, I'm de-lurking! I loved An-Paj's reaction to Yoda's "suggestion". And I can't wait to see what Alex's reaction's going to be!

I promise not to lurk in the future!

8. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Quote: "She's *only* fourteen, Master. I don't think what you're thinking could happen." Zavian was beginning to warm to Master Yoda's idea.

Zavian....are YOU ever SO wrong!
    Those were great JKOW!

9. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    When will Alex be told? And see Meri again? Oh I don't think I can survive waiting for that meeting! ^_^

This is so delightful to read! I grin every time I see a new part! I love it JKOW!!

10. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yeah Lina, Zavian's realllly wronnng. LOL But not for awhile. *G*

Julie you made me grin so big, all of you do. Thank you so much for replies. This is already becoming my favorite story to write on.

Another post later on, probably. Then the one after that should be the meeting. *G*
    Should be.

11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay, this isn't probably as exciting as yall expected. I'm not happy with it, AND its short, but the next post ought to be interesting. Oh, and this post tells briefly why Meri thought she was responsible for her Master's death.
    Feedback please!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Snapshot 2E
    Timeframe: same

//What in the galaxy am I doing here?// Alex wondered. Just six months a Knight and he was thinking about taking a padawan. He must be insane. No, Yoda must be insane.

Shock wouldn't be the word to describe what Alex had felt when this whole situation had been brought to him. He was already somewhat of an abnormality in the Temple. Knighted at the tender age of twenty-one, Alex had already been teased by several of the older Jedi Knights.

He certainly didn't think he was ready to take on a padawan, much less a padawan in such a situation as this. Why him? Why not some more experienced Jedi Knight? Yoda had simply told him he was qualified where it mattered, and that the Force had chosen him. Alex wasn't so certain. The only reason he was even agreeing to meet this girl was because of what he'd been told about her. He couldn't turn away from someone who needed his help, even though he wasn't sure he had much to offer.

When he had been told the story something stirred his heart. A young padawan, who held perhaps the strongest type of bond with her Master, had lost that bond. It had devastated the girl, and she wasn't coping well. The healers thought the best thing for her would be to have a new Master. Even more tragic the young girl wrongly blamed herself for her Masters death. When Alex had questioned Yoda about this, Yoda had told him that her Master had gone on a particularly dangerous mission and the Council had forbid her to take her padawan along. The padawan's Master had agreed, and Meri Irhanah was left at the temple. In an outbreak of violence, Meri's Master was killed, and the padawan blamed herself for not being there to protect her Master.

Alex shifted nervously from foot to foot as he stood outside the apartment. He was only here to meet her, he'd been told. It was just a meeting to test the water. The healer had seemed to want to assure Alex of that. Maybe he wasn't the only one who thought he wasn't capable of doing this. The question of "why me" still rang in his ears.

Across the hall the door opened and An-Paj looked out, before motioning the young Jedi Knight over. Alex took a deep breath, and walked slowly towards the healer.

12. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Wow! I enjoyed how you portrayed Alex's thoughts and feelings. Will we find out *why* yoda chose him? I think there's someting he's not telling them. *G* Thanks for the post again so soon!

13. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Oh goody! *squeal of joy* A new post so fast!

Cool, I really like hearing a character's thoughts and feelings. Thank you JKOW!

14. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    And why where you so worried about this post?? That was great! Thank you for posting so much! I hope you post more tonight since that was a cliffhanger and you CAN'T leave it there!!!!

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Sorry JWOK, I've been missing your posts.

Loved An-Paj's reaction to Yoda's suggestion. And Alex's too!
    Now on to that fateful introduction!!!

16. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

(Can't leave a cliffhanger there, HAL? You do it to us all the time!)

I loved Alex's reaction, and his mixed feelings about the meeting. Nice touch to have him pick up on An-Paj's misgivings about the situation.

I can't wait to find out what their first reactions are to each other!

17. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    This is really really good...

18. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thanks for the replies yall. They mean SOO much.
    Okay, thats it. I'm doing away with numbering the snapshots. I'll just call it snapshot, and won't change the number until I change the timeframe. I don't know how long I'll be dwelling in this timeframe, but its already longer than I had anticipated.

Snaptshot
    Timeframe-SAME

Meri stared at her hands, anywhere else but the healer's eyes opposite her. Her heart felt like it had been ripped to shreds, and totally torn in two. All she felt like doing was crying, constantly, but her stubborn nature kept her from doing so in front of An-Paj.
    The darkness beckoned her. The darkness where all the pain was gone, and blessed oblivion took its place. Already a part of herself was hidden away in the deepest recesses of her mind, away from the pain, away from the anguish of it all. An-Paj would say she had pulled into herself, and was hiding from the world. She didn't care. She didn't care much about anything anymore.

"Meri?"

The soft voice of the healer brought her head up slowly.

"You know this is not your fault, don't you?" An-Paj asked gently.

Meri bit her lip and turned her head away. Her fault? Wasn't it though? If she had been there, things could have been different. Her Master might have lived. She wouldn't be alone now. She wouldn't be so afraid, so afraid to live. But she knew the answer he wanted from her. Slowly she nodded her head, her lips trembling as she tried to restrain the tears. A soft sigh was heard from the healer.

"There is someone here to meet you, Meri. Master Yoda thinks that this Knight should be you new Master."

Meri visibly flinched away at the word "Master" but otherwise kept silent, her eyes locked on her hands once again.

"I know it seems quick, but it's for the best, Padawan," An-Paj said quietly.

Meri again had flinched at the word padawan. Master, padawan, two words which had the ability to pierce her heart with pain. She had known something was about to happen because the healers had forced her to take a shower and freshen up. She hadn't been expecting this, though. They wanted to replace the person who had meant the world to her. As was usual for the habit she had fallen into, she didn't reply to the healer. However, she didn't realize her lack of words spoke volumes to the healer, and the roiling of emotions she projected spoke even more.

"This will not be easy for you, I know that. But please speak with him, he can help you." With those words An-Paj rose quietly from his perch on the couch, and went to the door.

Meri watched him go her face blank although her thoughts were going wild. He? It was a man? For five years, a woman had raised her. And just how could he help her? Could he mend her broken heart? One question she knew she didn't have to ask. In her mind, he would NEVER replace Ariana.

19. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    So sad!
    I love your description of Meri's feelings about not having her Master with her any longer. The lonliness and just plain losing the will to go on was very realistic and tear-jerking.

Superb post!

20. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    I agre HAL, so sad! Poor Meri, and poor Alex it seems too. Her thoughts were excellently done. Thanks for posting so quickly!

21. juwanna_gauntlet_ban

juwanna_gauntlet_ban Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2000
    Wow. I love this story. Man. Please keep on posting. Man. I love this story. Wow.

22. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    I love how you draw us into the story and make us feel like we are really there, JKOW! I can't wait for Meri and Alex's meeting! :)

23. EMPRESS

EMPRESS Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 10, 2000
    Excellent story, But, if Meri doesnt want Alex, can I have him?

24. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

A very touching and emotional post.

More please!

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    He's not meant to take Ariana's place in your heart Meri...

That's so sad JKOW...I love it!