main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Long and Winding Road---Link to Sequel NOW up! 5/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediKnight-Obi-Wan, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    * Cue dramatic music *

The plot thickens...

:D UP :D

2. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Now THAT was tense! (to part-quote Anakin Skywalker) :) :) :) Me thinks there may be trouble ahead! Not sure Rani's heard the last of this!

3. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    //heavy sigh//

That made me sad the first time I read it too. :(

4. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay here is my next post, ;) Feedback is much appreciated. This story is so close to being finished it gives me chills! Yay!

Of course my almost finished is usually not quite what other people think. :D

Oh on another note, NOO the "hero" line did not come from any song of any form. So don't think of that song from that guy when you read it. It's just that is what Alex would say.

|=======|------------------------------->

Alex stood for a moment, staring after the distraught padawan in disbelief. He had never thought Rani's feelings had gone any farther than a schoolgirl crush, and even then, that was years ago. He never meant to hurt her.

He was pulled out of his temporary shock as he felt Meri sending a questioning pulse over their bond. She wasn't prying, only questioning, concerned. A flood of affection for her came over him and he groaned softly. What he had told Rani was the truth; he had never meant to fall in love with his padawan. In fact, he had fought it for a long time, because of who she was, and her youth. He'd never thought it would be this hard to distance himself from Meri. It was becoming a daily struggle, in fact, and a more difficult one as the days passed.

He had been caught off guard when Rani had questioned if they had already acted on their love in a physical way. That is what everyone else would think too. That Meri and I have been... he pushed the tempting thought from his mind before finishing it. They hadn?t, but people wouldn't believe them, of that much he was certain. She won't tell anyone, not Rani. As much as I didn't seem to know about her, I know this.

Automatically his hand threaded through his jet-black hair as his eyes stared at the floor. At least he hoped he knew. The words he?d spoken to Meri a few nights earlier came back to him suddenly. Over the last few years, it was true, he and Rani hadn?t kept in touch, maybe she had changed?or was it that he had changed?

Either way, he didn?t think she would reveal what she had learned to anyone for the simple fact that if she were to do so, she would also have to reveal how she found out. And from what he sensed, Rani wouldn?t want anyone else knowing about her hidden feelings.

He wasn?t even certain he could tell Meri. The way Rani had reacted to his and Meri?s relationship had been strong. He could still hear her mental voice in his head, the flavor of her tone that dripped incredulity and something else; ?she?s your padawan!

The emphasis put on ?padawan? had made him wince, flavored, as it was, with slight disgust. Whether this was because he was Meri?s master and she his apprentice or because Rani was disgusted by the fact he had found out, he wasn?t certain he wanted to know. But he thought he knew which it was, and he wouldn?t hurt Meri?not for anything. She didn?t deserve anyone?s disgust anymore than he. They returned each other?s love passionately and one couldn?t be faulted over the other for acting on it.

Already Meri had shown signs of being fearful of how others would receive their relationship. It was one of her traits Alex found endearing in a way. She was always and had always been so willing to please and hated for anyone to look down on her with disgust or pity or any sort of disfavor. It was the trait that had driven her to be excellent in many areas of her life. It was also a trait Alex struggled to understand in his apprentice.

While Meri was confident in many areas of her life, in fact appeared a very confident padawan on the surface; it hid that fear of displeasing anyone, especially her mentors. Alex thought he knew what it stemmed from. The breaking of her first bond; when he had first taken her on as his apprentice he?d had to be extremely careful with how he handled her, always reassuring her she was doing okay. One harsh word from him would have crushed her.

Though this trait had receded over the past few years, he knew it was still a part of her. Especially in the area of their relationship; he still remembered

5. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Alex is betting on a lot here. Who knows what Damage Goods will do or say? :eek: ;)

Meri, have you ever seen Fatal Attraction? :p

6. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Poor Alex...though Meri's reaction was cute, and how he just wanted to hold her... awwww :D

MORE!

7. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    ?I can be your hero,? he whispered pulling her gently up into his arms.

Ohhhhh, I so love that line! :) Wish I could come up with that kind of thing! Alex, you said exactly the right things at the right time! :D

8. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    very sweet.

9. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "I can be your hero."

At least that Red Hot Chili Peppers song is now out of my head. :)

Aw, such a sweet post JKOW!

10. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Looks like I've managed to catch back up with this at the right time! :)

I've always loved Alex and Meri as characters and it's great to see the interaction between them! Meri certainly has matured over the years.

Beautifully written so far! More need though! ;) Can me catching back up be rewarded with another post? :p

11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Casper: LOL I haven't seen that movie, no. And yes, Rani is damaged goods, but only because her Master is misisng. :D

lunetta: Enjoy the mush while it last ;)

Jemmiah: I'm glad you liked that line, I debated leaving it in there because was afraid too many people would think of enrique's song, but that wasn't ANYWHERE in my thoughts when writing that post.

juwannajedi: As I told Luney, enjoy the sweetness/mush while it last :D [face_devil]

H.A.L.: :p :p I didn't write that scene with that song in mind. In fact I've heard that song WAY too many times.

Calamity Jinn: HEY there's the missing woman!! I've been wondering where you are! I'm really glad you noticed that Meri's matured. I was trying to show that in the last post. And in answer to your last question, yes it just might!

Okay this is another guest scene by Rani Veko orginally posted in the USJS thread. There will be an increasing amount of these as we get to the end, here pretty soon some from Derisa :D

Next one should be by me however ;)
    Feedback is MUCh appreciated! I need all the encouragement I can get as I'm trying to finish this by the end of spring break. Knowing my luck I'll overshoot, but I'm trying!

|=======|--------------------------->

Alex smiled at Meri as he left the huddle of knights around T'lor, having said his words of welcome to her. His padawan was waiting patiently near the edge of the arena, her hands fingering something hidden by her tunics and he realized it was the pendent he had given her.

A motion caught his eye from somewhere in his periphery, and he turned his head to see Rani shaking her head as she watched Meri watching him. She turned her head to glance his way briefly, but the moment their eyes met and she realized he had seen her, she turned away, as if trying to seem she hadn't noticed him there.

His forehead lowered into a frown, and he turned back to his padawan momentarily. "Meri, I need to talk to Rani. You go congratulate T'Lor, I'll only be a few minutes." The young woman?s head followed his gaze to the other padawan, who was making her way towards the door with determination, and she bit her lip as she nodded. Alex stepped past her, and strode after the dark-haired girl.

"Rani, wait!" he called softly as she neared the further door. This side of the arena was nearly empty, everyone being clustered up near the door to the antechamber, or near the refreshment tables across the width of the arena. If he kept his voice low, this was a better place than most to talk to her about what had happened earlier that day.

He saw her slow her step, pausing only when she reached the doorway. "What can I do for you, Master Arieh?" she asked in an all-too-formal tone for his liking.

Alex felt his ire rise at the use of his title. "Look, you can stop that right now, Rani. I'm Alex, I'm your friend. Don't put me in that position when we have to talk this out as equals."

"Equals..." she scoffed as she echoed the word. "I think we've said all that needs to be said...Alex."

Reining back his temper with an effort, the knight drew a deep breath. "Rani, I know you're angry with me, but I was just trying to help you. I didn't know..."

"Didn't you?" she met his eyes finally, drawing up one eyebrow in a not-so-subtle hint.

He cocked his head at her, his voice low as he answered, "I knew about the crush. You and T'lor both. But what I found tucked away in your mind was no simple infatuation, Rani."

"I am trying to forget about it, but you keep wanting to talk. How am I supposed to forget about this...about *you*, if you won't leave me alone?" she finished in a very irate tone of voice.

"I am trying to salvage something of our friendship, Rani," he informed her sharply. "You keep ducking out of this, but I'm not willing to bury that long-term friendship when all we need to do is talk about it."

"*You're* not willing? Don't I get a say in this? Looks like us being equals is just a matter of convenience for you, *

12. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Poor Alex... Rani isn't cutting him any slack at all! I could hug him... ;)

13. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Gee, the girl is so puppy struck. Alex is the unfortunate Joe in the middle of clarity and confusion. ;)

------------------------------

Are you sure you haven't seen Fatal Attraction? Although this great story is not heading that way, but when I read this I thought (from the movie) the boiling pot of water. :eek:

Plot bunny stew anyone? :p

14. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
  15. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, Alex, the hero line will always work ;). He?s the type of guy to make girls swoon.

Rani sounds so devastated. The strange thing is it?s not so much about Alex having an affair with his padawan as it is with her having a chance with him. This must have happened a million times in the Jedi Temple. I wonder what they did to cope with it.

I can?t see them shoving people in closets.

Am [face_love]

16. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
  17. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Luney: No...Rani's a bit upset...I could hug him too ;)

Casper: Rani's problems don't all stem from this deal with Alex. Her master has been MIA for awhile and that ties in with why she's rather....hmm what's the word...unstable. That'll be revealed later :D

Amidala_Skywalker: Yes, Alex is definitely the guy to make a girl swoon...yum! As to Rani sounding devestated, there's more going on with her than being upset at Alex [face_mischief]

---

Okay here is the next post guys...and I slaved over it to get it just right. ;) Feedback PLEASE!

|=======|-------------------------->

Meri wanted to decline attending T?lor?s knighting ceremony with Alex. Despite her words to her master she wasn?t sure she wanted to face Rani. She had never been close to either T?lor or Rani, though she knew them to be Alex?s friends since his padawan years.

She?d always gotten the impression they had never approved of Alex?s decision to take her as his apprentice. And now that Rani knew about them she couldn?t help feeling a bit of apprehension.

The attendance for the ceremony was small, only those who were close to T?lor were invited and as Alex?s apprentice Meri had been expected to come. She?d also sensed Alex wanted her to come. The thought that he might need her support to face Rani was reassuring.

They stood shoulder to shoulder as they watched the ceremony and as T?lor?s master cut T?lor?s padawan braid, Meri felt Alex allow his hand to slightly brush against hers where it hung by her side. Standing as they were with their backs to the wall, and a row of spectators in front of them, their hands were relatively shielded from sight, aided by the long billowing sleeves of their robes. Knowing this, Meri reached out and returned the caress with her fingers. She had to fight a smile as without even glancing at her, Alex grasped at her hand and held it tightly, his thumb brushing lazy circles over her skin.

His touch affected her as it always did and she wasn?t certain she should allow him to continue, standing as they were, surrounded by other Jedi knights. Suddenly she felt his grip loosen and she almost gave a sigh of relief until she felt his touch return, this time his fingers brushing lazily across her wrist.

Snatching her hand away, Meri shot him a look only to find him focused on what was happening in front of him as if nothing out of the ordinary had just gone on. Through their bond however she felt his acute amusement at her reaction.

Relax, Meri?

Meri gave a measured sigh before folding her hands safely in her sleeves. Is that what he?s trying to do? Get me to relax?.that is the wrong method, she thought to herself while her fingers busily scrubbed at the area that was still tingling from his touch.

I could do better?he sent and Meri wasn?t at all certain she liked his tone.

She was just about to answer him through their bond when she felt a firm, Force given pinch to her backside and she straightened abruptly, fighting not shoot him a glare. The small glance she did get revealed he wasn?t even grinning. His face was as stoic as any Jedi master?s should be. He was practically laughing through their bond however, his amusement was so strong.

Meri didn?t even dignify his action with an answer, afraid if they kept this up she would either burst out laughing or slap him. Either of which would draw attention to the both of them.

As the ceremony drew to a close there was a surge of knights and masters who moved forward to accept T?lor into their ranks, including Alex. Meri stepped back and watched him as he greeted T?lor and gave her a brilliant smile and swift embrace. They exchanged a few brief words before Alex turned and began to try and make his way back to where Meri stood.

He gave her a small grin as he navigated his way through the small throng of people who were clustered around the new knight. Suddenly as if sensing someone, he turned his head and she followed his gaze to see Rani staring at them.

The look on Rani?s face w

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Ohhh nice post, Meri's raging emotions in it were great! Specially loved the mush in the end :D

19. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    ....Force given pinch to her backside ....

HEhehehe. "Can I get a little tush?" :p

Oh pelican droppings I hope I didn't have you reveal anything JKOW with my hopes here. :eek: :(

Anyways, good posting here. The lovers may be in more trouble than they actually can foresee. Of course cloudy the future is. ;)

20. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    that was a fantastic postie, JKOW. Meri's POV on all of this was wonderful to read! excellent as always! :)

21. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Yes yes, I agree, wonderful as always!

I think I've come down with replier's block, so please excuse my lack of feedback. :)

Lovely!

22. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    sheer.

unadulterated.

complete.

happiness.

What an excellent post. I like how compassionate Meri is towards Rani once she understands what is going on.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was a bit concerned in the post where they both decided to have some tea... and that sentence about both of them knowing they were playing with fire. Thrilled to see them both remember they're Master/Padawan and that they are each others 'best kept secret'!! :D :D

I remember Rani's post from USJS, fond memories, that one! I remember feeling so tense with the end of that!! And the second part still leaves me in tears... :( :(

I can't blame Meri for wondering about where she stands in the scheme of things... though it's not a decision Alex should have to make.. certainly not at this time.

Oh my... Rani's post again is so sad... makes it difficult to be happy for Alex and Meri when Rani is hurting so bad.

Oohh, Alex is certainly the sassy one at T'lor's Knighting!! Pinching and naughty comments are certsainly not the dway to keep his Padawan relaxed. And now that Meri knows about Rani's feelings.... I feel doubly bad.
    Can't believe how far back I was but now I'm all caught up and waiting for more!! :D :D

24. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. Here's the next post, written by Rani Veko again ;) This first part is from T'lor's POV, who is Rani's best friend and who are both friends of Alex. These post are necessary for the plot :D [face_devil]

|=======|---------------------------------->

"Master..." her cry was breathless, "She's... she's not there...!"

?What?? He moved to her as his concern suddenly grew, and held her gently by the shoulders. ?T'lor, we will find her,? he tried as she desperately looked around the empty air around her. "You must calm yourself. Focus now?? he coached her gently.

T'Lor forced herself to relax and reached along the bond again, but gave up after too long a stretch, with a worried shake of her head. "The bond is there, but she's too far away... like she's a kite, tethered to me but so distant I can't see her. And I pull on the line and try to drag her closer, but I still can't see her..." Her eyes locked on her former Master's, looking for answers, and her tone again grew insistent and concerned. "She's *too* calm, Master...beyond distant. Almost?disembodied?"

?When did you last see her? At the Solstice gathering last night?" Gi?den voice had a definite edge to it. At her nod, he quickly continued, "The Temple gates were closed after curfew. She couldn't have left unseen by the security, and we would have heard about a missing shuttle or fighter..."

"So she has to be here, in the Temple. Somewhere." T'lor finished the sentence for him. "The roof. She used to go there when she needed to think. Or the Healers? If she wasn't feeling well..." as she tossed out possibilities, T'lor's outward seeming grew calmer, but she could not still the ache of the lack of contact from her best friend of many long years.

"I?ll stay here, and start placing calls on the comm," Gi'den decided. "Someone might call here, or she may return on her own. You go look for her in the places she normally goes?you know her better than I do?? he said the last with a tinge of regret in his voice. T'lor could see that Rani's surrogate Master was struggling with a sense of failed duty to her. "We?ll find her, Padawan, don't worry," he smiled confidently, perhaps for her sake.

The new Knight scoured the Temple, checking every place she could think of for her missing friend, trying with all her considerable powers to get some sense of where she might have gone the night before. At length, her analytical mind returned to her last memory of her friend. It was the at the party the night before, and Rani had walked away, had stopped to talk to... Alex.

T'lor's steps were nearly running as she headed for the Master Jedi?s rooms. If anyone could help her, Alex would. She breathed a sigh of relief to find him at home as he answered the door, and quickly told him of the situation, finishing by asking for any insight he might have into why she would fail to come home the night before.

His brow pinched into a frown, as he considered how to respond. "She was upset last night," he said carefully. "I... We had words, " he broke off in a sigh. "I can't imagine where she's gotten to, T'Lor... Where have you looked already?"

T'Lor cast a concerned look at him, but pushed the question burning at the edges of her mind away, to answer his. As she outlined everywhere she had checked already, Alex nodded, and reached for his robe. "Perhaps we should check the lower levels?? he suggested. ?The Dome, the Library?"

The worried young Knight exhaled tensely, grateful for his assistance, and then cursed whoever felt that the Jedi Order required such a sprawling complex as the massive and convoluted Temple on Coruscant. They decided to split up, Alex doing a sweep of the lower levels and Library, while she checked the Dome, and several other places that occurred to her in that quadrant of the Temple. "I'll comm you immediately if I find her," he promised, and headed towards the lift.

The rest of the search was a blur until she got that comm, less than an hour later. Alex had called from the infirma

25. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Good post... poor Rani :'( And Meri...feeling responsible. Alex should comfort her the same way he did in the last post ;)