General ~*The Lord of the Rings Discussion thread*~ (FOTR, TTT and ROTK-spoilers blacked out please)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    **rubs ears**

Huh what did you say? :p
  2. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ok ... I am now getting a strange urge to play the know-it-all. I practically memorized all these bits of useless trivia. :p

First off, it isn't known exactly how old Legolas is, but most put him at about 1500+, which is quite young for an elf, considering that the Third Age (which is the one LOTR is set in) is 3000 years long and Elrond and the other Elf Lords have been living since the First Age. So he's actually a young Elf compared to them. :D

BTW, Galadriel is ... old. I don't think she wasn't even born in Middle Earth, but I won't go into that because I lost my copy of the Silmarillion and I don't remember that much. :p IIRC, she came to Middle Earth with a bunch of elves (the Noldor) sailing in from the west. Yes, I know that's where they're supposed to sail to ... it's all very hazy now, Amber I guess you'll know more about this, it's all in the Silmarillion. Which, by the way, was a pain in the arse to read ... one new genealogy every five pages, my head was spinning after an hour. :(

Dwarves live to about 250, give or take a few. Gimli lives to become one very, very old dwarf, even by their standards. And the Dunedain (which is the race of men that Aragorn is part of) live to approximately 3 times the lifespan of us normal people. They all descended from Elros, and were from Numenor before coming to Middle Earth (island near Valinor that sunk, like Atlantis). Dunedain means Men of the West.

Ok, I think I've rambled long enough ... you probably didn't want to know half of that. [face_blush] :p
  3. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I said no one knew how old he was, alot of it seems to be guess work. :(

Yes I read past the bit on Galadriel a while back I can't remember where she is from either but wasn't born in middle earth.

As for new stuff every five pages it's more like 5 new on every page. I am struggling to read it. I do like the book just very hard and will probably have to re read the thing lol
  4. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    lol ... I gave up. :p

I ended up reading only the bits about the elves, not the other sad sagas.

The maddening thing is that on top of introducing so many characters, he has to describe their ancestors as well ...
  5. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hope you're enjoying the films pash ;)
    Guess we wont be seeing you for a while [face_laugh]

I haven't attempted The Silmarillion but I promised myself I would try it one day, but what you two have said doesn't fill me with much confidence......my mum gave up onit too, lol.

To answer your question from the last page pash, I'm not really a big fan of Liv Tyler which is probably why I'm not keen on Arwen in the films. And Cate Blanchett just doesn't fill right to play Galadriel IMO. Maybe they would have been better off getting unkonwns to play the elfs like they did for Legolas. But I also think Xan was spot on by saying the voices are too slow. To me it does more harm then good.

I did know about Stuart Townsend being Aragorn for a few days, lol. But they said on the DVD they "mutually agreed' he was too young for the part and so they got Viggo in at the last minute. I'm really grateful they did, because I just don't think Townsend could have cut the cloth as Aragorn.
  6. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    About Stuart Townsend: Yeah, I know, I can't imagine him as Aragorn. I saw Queen of the Damned and thought "What the heck?". I can't see how they casted him for Aragorn in the first place.

On an unrelated note, has anyone here tried to learn Elvish? I'm attempting Sindarin, but I can't say more than a handful of words. :p
  7. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol

I think the look of Galadriel was right but I dont think Cate Blanchett was right and I really couldn't stand how she spoke lol

I am attempting to learn Sindarin myself Xan....but same position only a few words I can say. :(
  8. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not even sure Peter Jackson can explain why he cast Stuart Townsend [face_laugh]
    I remember reading he got the part and thinking that can't be right. I'd like to see a picture or footage of him as Aragorn though, but I woulnd't be surprised if Jackson burnt it ;)

I agree J, the look for both Arwen and Galadriel is excellent but the choice of actor wrong. I really hate the scene in FotR where she tests Frodo because of her voice and the not so good effects, lol.

I can't even speak English properly so I might do well to get that sorted before I even think about anything else ;)
    Good luck to you both though :)
  9. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    hmm I did a search on google and got [image=http://viggomortensen.narod.ru/images/townsend-aragorn.jpg]

I find Galadriel's voice irratating, I just want to punch her when she speaks :p
  10. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh wow! Thanks for that J :)
    Doesn't look as bad as I had originally feared but I still prefer Viggo by miles.

Oh-dear, lol. Best not have you and Galadriel in the same roon in that case ;)
  11. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Google is my friend [face_love]

But yeah I still don't think he would have been very good as Aragorn.

12. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I just want to punch her when she speaks

Me, too. :p Arwen wasn't so bad - she went back to normal speech fast enough, but Galadriel was just irritating. Celeborn, too, but he only had like 1 line so it was okay. I thought they did pretty well in their roles, though. I mean, they didn't really seem like they were their characters, but all the same, they kinda fitted ... does that make sense?

EDIT - I can't see the pic so I googled for it as well. Hmm ... not bad I guess, but he comes off looking more sinister than Ranger-looking.

Or that could be because I just watched Queen of the Damned on HBO. For someone who doesn't even know half the character names and has never read the book, I'm watching that movie a lot ... this is like the third or so time. :p
  13. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol least I am not the only one then Xan :p

Seems to be a prob with the pic now when I put it up it took ages to load as it was :p
    lol no your right he does look rather sinister, he really didnt suit that role :p
  14. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ok, so it's not just me ... that's good. :p

I should be going to bed right now (it's nearly midnight, and school starts Monday ... I need to reset my internal clock to normal school hours again :() but instead I'm sitting in front of my computer scrolling through a page about Sindarin. Which, though interesting, is bloody tedious because the author is better at rambling than I am.

I need to sort out my priorities, methinks. :p
  15. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol

I know the feeling I started to get myself onto a normal routine but in less than two weeks I will be in Canada so I gave up as the time I am going to bed at the moment is basically US time.

Where the page you were reading? :)
  16. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think it's those eyebrows that make him look sinister, lol.

I think I'm right in saying there are undergraduate and post-graduate courses on Tolkien. I don't know where they are exactly, but I do seem to remember they hired some professors as dialogue coaches for the films.
  17. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I wanna know where :p

Actually I have found a basic one day course
    "Tolkien and the Mythology of the British Isles, University of East Anglia"

I think I might sign up for that
  18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hey Jean, Xan and Matt! :D

You guys have the most interesting college courses or short course, I have to say. :cool:

Heheh, I'm back to haunt you...Matt, didn't expect me back too soon, eh? ;)

I'm watching the extended DVD in parts...bits and pieces. I've been following a few actor commentaries-Dominic Monagan, Billy Boyd and Sean Astin are hilarious. Orli looks quite lovely I must say and the way they describe what was really happening during filming is brill!

Question
    Oh, does anyone know where I can find the bloopers/easter eggs? Are they on this extended DVD version? :confused:

The Simalirion...I think it's at one of our bookshops but I don't know if I will be able to make my way throught it. [face_laugh]

The elves speaking too slowly...actually, can you believe I didn't pick up on it at first? 8-} I think I was so caught up in the magic of it all. [facE_cool] I think Galadriel did speak the slowest though. With Arwen it was soft and still very pleasant.

I think the boys were ultra cool! I mean, Legolas's speech was great...no long pauses. Just a little softer...a little different. :)

And even Haldir and Elrond...Hugo Weaving was great. :cool:

Aaah, I remember who drives me a bit nuts-Celeborn! [face_laugh] Galadriel's hubby speaks so funny I feel like screaming.

*Shouts*

Jean cover your ears, babe...I woudn't wanna make you go deaf again! 8-}

Okay back to the ages of these guys...The men of the West simply have a longer lifespan is it? :)
    In TTT:EE it's tied up coz Eowyn questions Aragorn about his age and e says he is 87 at the time. [face_shocked] Not bad at all Ranger boy! [face_mischief]

Oh and Matt, you're right about the coaches for their elvish-speak bits in the films. I remember hearing abour Viggo's raining or the part and how he spoke it so easily. :D
    Well, elf boy did a nice job too...now you expected me to say that, didn't you? ;)
  19. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    **looks at Pash's post** [face_shocked] :p

I know been trying to find other courses but alot of them are in the US :(

I know know about the DVD's pash, well I know a place to get the codes for FOTR but it doesn't have TTT. Have you tried a search with Yahoo?

Yeah the Silmarillion is really hard to understand, I am constantly looking at the indx at the back to keep up with family trees or search someone's name.
    I mean one minute you are talking about one person the next it suddendly jumps to someone else completly.

ahhh no screaming please!!! :_| **covers ears**

lol yep not bad at 87, at the end of ROTK it turns to the fourth age. Aragorn dies in 120 of the fourth age.

lol Pash, like you would say anything else about our lovely elf ;)
  20. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow Pash!! I didn't expect to see you for another fortnight :eek:
    Glad you like the EE DVD's (although was there any doubt you would? ;) ). I really like the extras you get with them and personally find the doucmentaries and audio commentaries really interesting and useful.

[face_laugh] @ Celeborn. Something we can all agree on for once.

'Not bad at all Ranger boy!' [face_mischief]
    lol, that cracks me up pash. That scene in TTT:EE surprised me actually, but that's because I can't remember if the book contained any age reference for Aragorn or not. Buy hey, I'd love to look that good at 87 ;)

This may sound harsh, but I didn't care that much for the character Haldir. I felt his death scene in TTT was over-played too much consider the very small amount of screen time he had in FotR and TTT. And this will really upset you Orli fans but I hate his surfing bit with great vengeance :p
    **prepares for a bashing from all the orli fans** ;)

J- I saw a site that listed all the Tolkien courses in the UK but the page was blank but they do exist I'm sure of it. I do think that they would be based around Oxford though because that's seen as the capitial of all that is Tolkien. The UEA course might be good, but means taking a trip to Norwich which I know all too well, lol.
  21. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Right that's it I am asking Mike to ban you! :mad:

lol it's a case of finding the courses. No problem for Mythology or Eygptology (sp?) :p
  22. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There are courses on LOTR?! :eek: Cool! :D

About the easter eggs ... IIRC, it's on the first disc of the TTT EE. Go to the last screen of scenes (bottom on the right) then go to the screen selector (middle column) and then go to the last scene on the disc and press down. Then you get the Gollum accepting his MTV award ... 'nuff said, watch it. ;)

It's been a while, though, that might be wrong. :p
  23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Xan, I think I tried something or other...but obviously it was wrong. Can you believe I waited for the fan club credits to end? 8-}

I think I heard the whole soundtrack, just wainting for all the names to go past. [face_laugh] Classic moment from me...wow, I do it all the time. Gotta love me for it! 8-}

Jean, babes...you guys have great college course! :_| Seriously...can you tell me about creative writing courses in the UK, Jean? I want to check out some options...

Matt, expected me to be in hiding, eh?

You didn't like Haldir? [face_shocked]

*faints*

Y'know...he was unusually pretty too. Think it's the pointy ears girls? [face_laugh]
    Plus, there's something elegant about him...but Orli looks better in tights-nuff said! [face_laugh] LOL!

The behind the scenes info showed what the actors really looked like. Brilliant, really!

Haldir...is a bit of a cutie...okay-that was obvious. The actor who plays Faramir is nice too...and Karl Uban (Eomer)... hmm... [face_mischief]

Hate to say this Matt...but the girls got a great deal even in the LOTR trilogy.

*gives Matt a reassuring pat on the back* ;)

Lego's skateboard scene? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?

Elf boy rules...he just flew down the steps there. Matt... [face_devil]

Prepare for the wrath of a dark ladies...and I may have company in this dept, eh girls? [face_devil]

As for Ranger boy...yep, pretty funky for 87. ;) Funny...hmm, how come? Was it the term? :)

Oh and if you guys watched the EE versions...remember the part about Viggo's pranks on Orli? The headbutting incident! LOL....Aaaargh...hilarious. My poor elf boy. :( ;)
  24. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Haha ... watched the interviews, have you? That was the best part. :p

You actually watched the Fan Club credits thinking it'd be at the end? [face_laugh] Sorry, that's just hilarious. :p

You don't actually watch the thing, just go to the scene selector screen and fiddle around with it. I think you can try accessing it the same way as the one on the FOTR EE ... the one in the first disc, I mean, because there's no ROTK preview in the TTT EE. :(
  25. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Pash what you mean why was Aragorn so old yet didn't look it?

I cna't believe people watch the credits I turn it off....you be there for another 30 mins watching them :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.