main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*The Lord of the Rings Discussion thread*~ (FOTR, TTT and ROTK-spoilers blacked out please)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    [face_blush]

:D

It's a sci fi convention in general so has actors from all sorts of films and tv programmes....also has stalls to buy merchandise etc :D

2. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    I'm sure you will have a lot of fun, then. I believe the Collecting forum here at the JC is one of your regular hangouts. :D

3. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Hopefully :D

Yep I love the collecting forum, I mainly post in the social thread there but I do occasionally post on other threads but mainly just read them :)

4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I've got to run now hon...have a shower and go watch Dawson's Creek. Well, Dawson can be silly sometimes but Pacey is funny and Jack is adorable. ;)

We're on season 2 here. I'll see you probably tomorrow, sometime. :D

Oh, I didn't ask you...when's the convention? :)

5. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The convention takes place between April 30th and 3rd May Pash :)
    And as always, it seems to be geared towards the ladies :p
    Here's a link for you to check out: Collectormania

I've been to the last 3 of these conventions and I really enjoy them. One porblem is that it's hard to get photos unless you que and pay for their autograph, and even then you may not be allowed to take their picture due to time constraints. But I'm sure we'll try for you pash ;)

If you ever make it to the UK it would be great to time it so you could perhaps attend one of these events. They take place twice-a-year and is in the middle of a large shopping centre, so double the fun ;)

Quick comment about Ben Affleck if I may, I can't satnd him :mad:
    All he does is pull a smug face and grins....my goldfish can out act him [face_laugh]

So I take it you don't like the Ents then Xan, lol?
    My sister had a problem with them being slow too, and I can see why ppl don't appriciate them but I think they're great!!
    I also prefer them in the book then I do the films, I can't quite put my finger onit but they just seem to have much more charm and presence in the books. Of all the stranger characters in the book, these were the ones I was most worried about when it came to the film and I just haven't made my mind up if they succeeded or not?

As for Tom, have you ever seen a (rubbish) British TV programme called Doctor Who Pash??? There was an actor called Tom Baker who played the Doctor for a while, and he'd make a good Tom Bonbadil [face_laugh]
    And his costume was very colourful, so perfect match

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Permission my butt, if they can't see you they can't stop you! :p

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Looks like my determined friend Jean is gonna get herself that autograph! ;) Well good luck with that...oh and tell me what he's like in real life...he's actually really sweet in the DVDs, no Jean? :D Remember that bit where he's talking about Bob Anderson and how he taught them their swordplay? :D

Matt, thanks for the link, I will defintely peek at this. :cool:
    Geared at the ladies...we can deal with that! Hahah, 'course we can. We get the best deal.

Well, I guess its the fact that LOTR, in particular, was really a lads film... I mean the fellowship was all-male.
    My cousin originally thought it was chauvanistic.
    Hey, after the deal we girls got, I'm not complaining. [face_mischief]

I'd like to see a girl say, "Why couldn't they get a female elf so that there was more girl power? Why did that use Legolas? He's only a completely drop-dead-from-shock-gorgeous male with the best hair day in Middle Earth. I mean...what's up with that?"

8-}

I won't be saying it in my lifetime. [face_laugh]

Okey dokey... bookmark time. :)

Yay, you know what I mean...plus there were other ents there too? I can't remember the other guys name suddenly...it started with B...or did it? :confused: He was a younger ent who TreeBeard left the hobbits with while the ent moot was in session.

Hey Matt is the Doctor Who programme one of the programmes in the Doctor in the House or Doctor Down Under series? :confused:

Good grief! [face_shocked] There actually are Bombadill candidates out there? [face_shocked] *shudders* The yellow boots are so not a fashion statement now...they're just scary! [face_laugh]

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Damn right I am [face_mischief]

Hmm found out the london film and comic com will have Billy Boyd maybe I'll go to that ;)

Didn't they change it so it had more females in already?
    Problem is the books are based on Tolkien's experience during WW2 so obviously not alot of females were going to be in it.

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_laugh]

If you meet Billy Boyd it'll be a real giggle I'm sure, Jean! ;) He and Dominic Monaghan are sooo funny! [face_laugh]

Heheh, well the book didn't have a lot of other females in it anyway. And Arwen is mentioned maybe twice or thrice in the first novel. Galadriel really is the main female role there.

Yeah Jean...you're right, it was probably easier to relate to an all male cast for the fellowship. Being a soldier would-as you say-mean a lot of male influence. And the whole concept of brotherhood and all that...
    I don't think it's chauvanistic...maybe I'm old fashioned but in that day and age there weren't too many Xena Warrior princess type women in stories...which is fine by me. ;) It's more realisitic this way... :)

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Funny story here: some years ago Ray Park was doing a signing and someone took his picture as they passed by. That person was then asked to hand over £15 because he took the picture wihtout permission and as you can imagine wasn't too impressed. I think the guy just walked off but only after expressing some views they had about that ;)

This is the show that my uncle attends and manages to stay in the same hotel as all the stars (lucky so-and-so :p ). I've already told J of my plan to bribe him into giving us the address, although J will be the main beneficiary of this :(
    Of cause the tables will turn when Lana starts doing conventions over here :D ;)

I've heard the chauvanistic and pro-war accusations many times through the years, but I do not personally subscribe to them. Afterall, Galadriel is one of the most powerful characters in the story. The only problem is as you say Pash, none of the female characters figure in the more pratical side of the story, which is the way of things when it comes to Fantasy stories.
    Yep J, they did beef-up the female roles and presence in the films and I can see why that needed to be done. Saying that, their idea of having Arwen fight at Helm's Deep went too far and I'm really pleased they cut it out.

Love this colour Pash so I've borrowed it from you ;)
    The Ent you're thinking of is Bregalad. I love this passage from the TTT:
    'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname of cause. They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he finsihed his question.'
    I find that really ammussing, or maybe I'm just sad [face_laugh]
    Also proves that Ents can be quick
    ;)

Sorry Pash, but those programmes you mentioned are not related to the Doctor Who I was refering to. Dotor Who is a sci-fi/fantasy TV serial made by the BBC and has been going on for 40 years. It's pretty awful stuff but Tom Baker would be perfect for Tom. I shall try and fish out some pictures for you :)

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Well, what can I say...the colour choce is a good one, eh? ;) And it's easy on the eye. Blue's harder to read on this board, no? :(

Okay:-

Bookmark

That's right...Quickbeam's the name...actually it was the ent name I was trying to remember...got it now. :D

As for Doctor Who I saw a frightful pic in one of my movie magazines of some cast members. It wasn't a big pic but I think there were probably quite a few Tom Bombadill candidates there! [face_laugh] And that's really saying something, eh? [face_laugh]

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Okay...UUUUPPPPP we go! :D

Bookmark

In the TTT book, the palantir is mentioned and later the sphere is found at Isengard. Is this the "lost seeing stone" mentioned in FOTR (the
    movie)?

Also, the scene in the book when Gandalf, Theoden and Co. confront Saruman is brilliant. It's a pity it isn't in the film...but any news about it winding up in the EE version?

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Good questions Pash, and I shall do my best to answer them correctly ;)

As far as I know the lost seeing stone in FotR is that of the palantir . In the book, when Gandalf meets Saruman after he learnt that Bilbo had the ring, there's no mention of Saruman using the Palantir and there was certainly no fight between the two (something which makes me cringe from the film I'm afraid to say, lol). Also, Gandalf was very careful not to mention who had the ring, but in the film he blurts it out to Saruman as soon as he see him near enough [face_laugh].
    This is one of the main reasons I'm not keen on the FotR film.

Argh, you've hit a sore spot with your second question there Pash. The confrontation between Gandalf and co. and Saruman was filmed and probably stayed in the edit for a long time, but it got cut late on and when people learnt of this there was huge up-roar because it meant Christopher Lee wasn't going to be in RotK.
    The good news however is that Ian McKellen has gone on record saying the confrontation scene will be back in the EE, which is very good news

Pash, have you started reading the RotK book now?? :)
    And your Dr.Who comments were spot-on. It's an odd-looking show to say the least, and they're currently re-making it as we speak :eek: ;)

14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Bookmark

Aah y'know I wondered about that fight scene. I read the confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman carefully but there was no flying around I must say. ;) Cringe worthy...

Actually if it hadn't been in the film they ma have been able to include other bits. Perhaps more of the funny bits from Lothlorien? I would have loved to see that funny argument that Lego and Gimli had when they were ased to enter Lorien blindfolded. [face_laugh] Priceless! [face_laugh]

Hmm, it was kinda funky, these two old guys tossing one another about but I thought it was too long. Perhaps that's what got to me. I was always thinking:- "Come on let's get back to the rest of the cast"...especially coz Lego had just shown up! [face_mischief]

The Palantir...yay, so those were the stones! :D There's more than one right? I think they mentioned one in the cities...was it Minas Tirith or Minas Morgul? :confused: I need to peek at my books again.

As for the books I'm still in TTT. Frodo and Sam are talking to Faramir. I'm at the end of the chapter titled Window on the west. It's getting really good and Faramir is a lovely character in the book. But I can see that PJ gave the character more depth for the film. :cool:

Hmm I can see I'm starting on another topic here... ;) I have this problem that we love to call the "onion peel effect"! I go in circles when I start on one point...round and round and eventually come back to where I started! 8-}

Saruman's absence...I heard about the uproar too. I'm glad about the extended version scenes. It feels kinda odd to have seen him in TTT and then to not see him at all in ROTK.
    And that confrontation will be so cool. :cool:

15. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The fight scene was just one big mistake IMO. The way I see it, two great wizards would not be interested in exchanging fisty-cuffs at one another, they should have a lot more grace and respect for one another. And as you say it was really odd seeing two old guys having their equivilant of a fist-fight [face_laugh]
    And I totally agree the time they spent with that scene could have (and should have) been spent elsewhere. They missed so much from that book and some of the stuff they missed was great :(
    I thought they spent far too long running away from the Balrog too. I really found the collapsing stair-case stuff irrelevant.

Yep, there are quite a few of those stones knocking around. I think there might be seven in total. And you're spot on, there's one in Minas Tirith which is the palantir of Anarion. The stones are mentioned more in the RotK book, and they are also mentioned in Appendix A so I'd recommend reading that too :)

Argh, yes. Faramir is quite different in the books. He's the total opposite of Boromir but in the film they are quite simular, but what's nice about the TTT:EE is that it helps to explain why Faramir was desperate to take the ring off Frodo and I quite like the way they beefed up his role and character in the film.

The word from the PJ camp was that they felt Saruman's story had been nicely finished at the end of TTT, and that they had many other things to get through during Rotk so I can understand why they decided to cut it for the theatre, especially as the film was running at 3 hours 20 minutes :eek:
    But being able to see that in the EE will be great :D
    Can't wait......

Don't worry about the 'onion peel' effect. I'm sure we all enjoying blabbling here and there and as long as we all make sense I don't mind one little bit ;)

Pash, what do you think about the elves showing up during the Battle of Helm's deep in the film?
    That's a very funny moment in the DVD commentary as they all seem to say it was someone elses idea
    [face_laugh]

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Bookmark

Yeah Matt...more stuff from the book would have been great. There were some brilliant bits there when I though...oh why couldn't this have been in the movie. :(

Oh the Balrog bit eh? Hmm, I thought that was okay...but don't shoot me if I say that I felt the Hobbitten bit was kinda long in the EE version. [face_blush] I dunno why but it seemed to go on forever and I was sitting going:- "Okay, moving on..." ;)

The appencdices look great. In fact I have peaked at it already to check the timelines and ages of some of the key characters. It's a great read and I love the detail Tolkien put into it. :cool: Amazing! [face_shocked]

Faramir's character...I'm definitely bookmarking him soon. I just loved David Wenham's portrayal...I think he's to me what Sean Astin's performance is to you. :)

Faramir is a character I totally relate to...as is Eowyn. It's funny...coz the two of them are destined to be together. [face_love] (I'll get to Faramir in my next posts or else it will be "the onion peel effect" all over again! 8-} )

Hmm but that bit at the begining would have been awfully nice, especially because all these guys confront Saruman together. In the book it is a lovely scene...all of the lads there too. :cool:

Pash, what do you think about the elves showing up during the Battle of Helm's deep in the film?

Heheh, I must say I did what the test audiences did! [face_mischief] I cheered! I loved it. It was a very atmospheric scene.
    Yeah, it wasn't in the book...but I wonder how long-time fans of the novel reacted. Matt?

Oh, did you mean that funny spoof that Bernard Hill mentioned? [face_laugh] He was so funny when he said:-
    "What are the elves doing here?" and then added a few expletives! 8-}

Plus Craig Parker (Haldir) and the gang were amused too! [face_laugh] I had a bit of a giggle there.

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Bookmark

For me the biggest disappointment in FotR was Bree. I really loved that part in the book, and even the EE DVD didn't improve that section :(
    Don't worry Pash, I wont be shooting you because I agree about the Hobbitten bit ;)
    While it all looks very nice, I felt they didn't really need to reinforce the aspects of a Hobbits life because it kinda speaks for itself.

Oooh, sneaking a peek at the appendicies already [face_mischief]
    lol, only joking. I don't blame you either because they are really good and once you start reading them you just carry on. I think the attention to detail is stunning, and it just makes everyone so much more real.

David Wenham did a great job and you can't fault his performance. I'm sure we'll see more of him in the RotK:EE because his relationship with Eowyn was only really hinted at in the film.. I'll wait for your bookmarks on him before I say more ;)

Personally I disliked what they did in the film with Pippin looking into the palantir because it dragged on for too long IMO. If they stuck with the book version then I'm sure they could have had the Saruman confrontation too. Ah-well, roll on November (if not sooner) ;)

Yeah, it wasn't in the book...but I wonder how long-time fans of the novel reacted. Matt?

I didn't mind it actually, but I understand there was a bit of an up-roar from the hard core fans ;)
    I actually just watched the Cast commentary Pash after what you posted, and that was really funny [face_laugh]

I was actually refering to the PJ commentary because that's also quite funny. But I think it made perfect sense to have them in at helm's deep for two reasons.
    1. It added more drama to the situation which is always good for a film.
    2) As they said in the commentary; in the book the Elves were actually busy fighting off evil forces in the North, but they couldn't really show that in the film so this was the next best thing. Without them showing up at Helm's Deep the audience would think the elves were taking it easy and running off, which would be unfair. Well, apart from Leggy of cause

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Bookmark

Bree was quite a lovely scene Matt...definitly. :) What with the intro of Strider, the Nazgul entering the town looking for the ring and the whole atmosphere there. I loved it...

Perhaps just giving us a view of Hobbiton would have established the whole lifestyle well. Some shots in the EE seemed...like repetitions. Know what I mean? :confused: Like that hobbit who kept digging his ears in every shot! [face_laugh]

Couldn't help it Matt. :) The appendices were really good! :cool:

I'll have to make a note to myself and bring up Faramir when we're done with the current discussion. ;) Or I'll be going in circles! 8-}

Heheh, glad you liked the commentary. The elves were worried about how to march too! That's a hoot! [face_laugh] Bernard Hill really cracked me up! [face_laugh]

I can understand that long time book fans would find it odd...what with the elves in the North and all that! ;) But I loved the idea that they came to the aid of Rohan...renewing the old alliance and all that...

Gives you goosebumps and makes you feel like "whoo hooing" for quite a while! :D 8-}

Heheh, Leggy was in the thick of it. That's our boy! He didn't mind getting those fancy tights dirty! 8-}

Sorry Matt, it's past 1 a.m. and I'm up! [face_mischief] Guess I'm reacting to not sleeping! [face_shocked]

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Bookmark

Bree certainly looked the part in the film. Very atmospheric and Aragorn?s intro was very well done, but for me they didn?t spend enough time in Bree :(
    I can certainly understand why because it may have been too much and the stuff that happens was not significant enough to justify spending a larger portion of the film on, but for me Bree was a real turning point in the book because everything intensified and you never really knew what to make of Strider at the time. Maybe I?m being too fussy ;)

Like that hobbit who kept digging his ears in every shot!

[face_laugh] Bad editing perhaps ;)
    I totally agree with you Pash, you only need to see one shot of hobbiton to understand what Hobbits are like and for some reason I feel that most people know exactly what hobbits are like even without reading the books.......I?m probably very wrong though :p

Couldn't help it Matt. The appendices were really good!

lol, I love things like that and I think I sneaked a quick look before finishing too ;)
    Although I was also guilty of looking at all the illustrations before even reading the books [face_blush]

Those commenteries were brill! :cool:
    Bernard was very funny, and I wonder how PJ reacted to his alternative ADR?
    Hehe, he might have even been tempted to leave it in, lol.

The Elves showing up works a treat for film, and it comes at a great time because the audience is very tense at that moment as they know the inevitable is going to happen, but having the Elves turn-up at the last minute gives everyone hope :D

You can always rely on Leggy can?t you ;)
    Never afraid of getting his nice costume dirty or torn.

OK Pash, feel free to bring up Faramir now
    :)

20. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Bookmark

Whoooo! Hobbits and ears and all that pleasant stuff! [face_laugh]

Funny how they didn't see him digging his ears so many times! 8-}

Bree as a turning point
    I agree on that because in the book the pace really quickened there. At Bree..
    It went from Treebeard speed to Millenium Falcon on hyperdrive there and it was brilliant as soon As Strider/Aragon entered! [face_mischief]

I guess it has something to do with PJ's love of Hobbit culture and Hobbits in general. perhaps that's why the focus is on Hobbiton. :confused:

Bernard Hill is one of my favourite guys in that film...what a wonderful guy and character (Theoden). I loved his speech to those men at the battle of Pelenor fields. So uplifting and "rah rah" worthy! :cool:

Oh that extra bit on the DVD would have been a downright giggle fest!

Leggy and his tights. Yes and very pretty he looked in them too! [face_devil]

Okey dokey...Faramir. What is it I love so much about his character in the movie?

Good news is I have finished reading TTT but have just started ROTK. So some more to go...

PJ's fleshing out of the character is so lovely...Faramir is a good guy but he gets there after a little soul searching. And it makes him human. It shows he can be like Boromir but that he overcomes the same weakness.

Argh! :mad: And Denethor didn't see what a gem of a son he had there. :(

Faramir is a character I relate to the most...wanting to please family but unable to because he's not as good as his sibling...in my case family. I never chose my career path but I still have to excell in this. :(

I know the feeling all too well.

Matt, now that I have blah blahd for the whole of Sri Lanka, ;) what did you think of the book Vs. movie Faramir.

And, which character to you relate to the most? :D

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Bookmark

PJ is a Hobbit [face_laugh]

Jay Laga?aia made some very funny comments about PJ during his Q&A session at Jedi-Con, great stuff ;)
    He probably liked the Hobbiton set so much that he couldn?t resist spending some more time there so added more shooting time just as an excuse, lol.

Bernard Hill was yet another great and perfect bit of casting. His experience just shows so much and it transfers very well for Theoden because he needs a big screen presence and with Bernard that?s exactly what you get.
    Whhoooaa, his speech before the big battle!! Lovely stuff and I really, really like the small details like when he trotted along the first line clipping his sword against the spears. I love stuff like that :cool:

Wow Pash, I can certainly see why you can relate to Faramir.
    I actually prefer the film version of Faramir because he really did need some fleshing out which is exactly what they did. The book is slightly anti-climax but by having him actually wanting to take the ring off Frodo to serve his own glory just makes much more sense. And as you say, it showed how simular he was to his brother but managed to find the inner strength to resist which acts as a nice contrast between the two.

As for me, well I?d have to say I can relate to Aragorn. I think Viggo summed it up beautifully in a RotK documentary I saw, in which he said that during FotR & TTT and the time before he went to the King of the Dead in RotK, Aragorn just was not confident with who he really was and therefore aways played down the fact he was the King of Men. In recent times I?ve realised just how important confidence is, and it?s the difference between success and failure. I'm someone that struggles to find my confidence and it can be a slow and painful experience at times so I know how he feels.
    I think that's why he's also my favourite charater too because I can relate to him to a degree. As soon as I got to his Intro in Bree I knew there and then that I was going to like him even though at that stage you were never sure if he was friend or foe.

22. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Bookmark

PJ is a hobbit!

Aye aye to that! ;)
    Yep I remember that bit about hobbiton, heheh! ;)

Oh the crash bang of the spears on the sword was awesome. Goosebump moment thanks to a brilliant Bernard Hill! :cool:

I like that comparison with Aragorn. The faith he finds in himself by the end of the movie. He realy is a different man from when he started off in Bree. :) He was in hiding and he finally came out into the open and assumed his place. Wonderful stuff.
    All the characters are like us, searching for what they should be, isn't it? Aragorn needed to have that belief that he could be his own man and not succumb to the temptation of the One Ring. Even Faramir needed to become his own man. He needed to get out from uner his brother's shadow and live his life and prove his worth. :(

*sniff* I just love all this stuff. LOTR is a lot more emotional than people think sometimes. :D

*sigh* And I love every emotional bit of it! ;)

23. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Bookmark

?Oh the crash bang of the spears on the sword was awesome. Goosebump moment thanks to a brilliant Bernard Hill!?

It?s the small details like that that make a film IMO. Funny story: me and dom decided to watch Titanic while we were in Germany because it was on the TV. And while the Bernard Hill scenes came up we inserted our own Lord of the Rings dialoge and it seemed to fit quite well ;)
    Bernard does quite a bit of voice-over work here in the UK on various documentary programmes, and does a really good job with them too....he?s a real talent :D
    I also read in a movie mag that for the EE of RotK we may get to see some more scenes of Théoden preparing and taking care of Merry prior to the big battle, which sounds great! :cool:

One of my fav scenes in FotR was the one of Aragorn looking at the beautiful Alan Lee painting of Isildur fighting Sauron in Elrond?s chamber. A very simple scene but it said it all really. You knew exactly what was going through his mind at that point and it was quite a nervy moment really.
    While the film slightly strayed from the book when it came to the re-forging of The Sword of Elendil, what I did like about the films adaption is that it showed the real turning point in Aragorn?s confidnce. When he grasped that sword he finally accepted his mantle and it was a very proud moment :D

I think you?re spot on Pash, I think everyone can relate to at least one character and there are many messages Tolkien is trying to put across and none of them really get lost thankfully. Very emotionally stuff at times and I love it too :)

I?m going to have to think of some more questions for you Pash [face_mischief]
    But here?s one which I briefly touched upon before: What did you think of the film version of Pippin looking into the palantir?

24. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm, funnily enough Matt, I saw Titanic on TV just reently. ;) How's that for a coincidence? :D

Bookmark

As for that scene with the palantir

I have to admit I loved the atmosphere in the castle. It felt kinda nice to see the gang together in a familiar place. They were at Edoras weren't they?

That moment itslef was quite nice...Pip unable to control himself and what was amazing was that even Aragorn couldn't hold it. [face_shocked] In the book, he looked into it! ;)

Of course in the book the party (minus Pip and Gandalf) went to Helm's Deep. I am just past their arrival at Helms Deep, in my reading of the ROTK book.

Funnily enough I found the scene cozy...prob becasue they were surrounded by walls and not open skies where the Nasgul could just show up any moment.

Another reason why I liked it was that little talk where all the big boys (as I like to call them) stood around discussing what had happened. It was quicker in the book but this scene was alovely. [face_love] Especially when Gandalf leaned over to Aragorn and told him some stuff quietly.

Another thing...Pip more time to say bye to Merry although it still wasn't enough coz they have been such close friends and cousins. :(

Without this change we wouldn't have a lot of emotional scenes like we did in the movie. Of course, as far as accuracy is concerned...it does deviate from the book from time tot time. ;)

25. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Hehe, that is coincidence ;)
    We also saw Pearl Harbor while in Germany, so if you?ve seen that recently then that?s just scary, lol.

Bookmark

Firstly I shall say Oooopps!
    I decided to re-read the Palantir Chapter in TTT and it isn?t as different from the film as I first thought. For some reason I had little recollection of Pippin stealing it off Gandalf while he was asleep [face_blush]
    I think what confused me was that in the book everything happened outside, while in the film it happened inside....perhaps :p
    You are right though Pash, in the film it all kicked off while they were at Edoras. It felt a bit strange to me I think because it was a very domestic scene if you know what I mean? It was like one big sleep over ;)
    That said, it did extend from the book and gave a much greater sense of danger, especially with the Merry and Pippin farewell because it made you realise that war is pending and they may not see each other again.
    I really hope we get to see Wormtounge throw the palantir at Gandalf and co. in the EE but I?m not sure we will because of how Pippin found it initially.

So Pash, I assume you have meet all the other Rangers in RotK?
    I really wanted to see them in the film too :_| . I don?t know why but meeting all the other rangers for the first time was one of my favourite moments in the book and would have worked a treat in the film. But I think they replaced them with Elrond making an appearance to give Aragorn his sword.
    Let us know when you?ve finished the Paths of the dead Pash as that might be a good talking point
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.