main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The Lord of the Rings] Insights of Middle-Earth (50 sentences) - COMPLETED! 03/08/2012

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by laurethiel1138, Jan 5, 2011.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Title: Insights of Middle-Earth

Author: laurethiel1138

Fandom: The Lord of the Rings

Characters: All

Timeline: Any

Summary: 50 Sentence Challenge

Disclaimer: Not mine (alas!)

[b]Table I:[/b] there was once a boy who lived ...

[i]All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.[/i]
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Riddle of Strider, in The Lord of the Rings

01. Bewitched
    As Gimli beheld the beauty that was Galadriel, he was forever bewitched and swore never to speak ill of the Elves ever again.

02. Bravery
    Though they often sung of heroes and kings, there was also a common sort of bravery found in the peoples of Middle-Earth who relentlessly kept on with their daily tasks, even with the menace of Mordor in the East.

03. Charm
    To say that Aragorn had been charmed by Arwen was the vastest understatement: he had been utterly, relentlessly and completely seduced by but one glance at the Elven beauty.

04. Intellectual
    To the grave dismay of Denethor, Faramir had always been of a more intellectual bent than his brother.

05. Cooky
    ?Look, Master Frodo, more Lembas bread!? said Sam, trying to cheer up his friend at yet another pause on their way to Mount Doom.

06. Filthy
    Sam thought it was impossible to accumulate more filth upon oneself than he had on his trek to Mount Doom; Gollum was on an entirely different level of filthy, though.

07. Family
    Long after what became known as the War of the Ring, Sam was sitting in Bag End with his family close, Rosie by his side and his little Elanor on his knees, thinking it had all been worth it in the end.

08. Sense
    Even through all their manifold trials, it was a small wonder in and of itself that the Hobbits never lost, not even for an instant, their amazing sense of humour.

09. Rubbish
    Gimli had dismissed as rubbish Legolas?s claim that the Elf could out-drink him; after a good-natured contest, he was, however, soon forced to revise that opinion.

10. Wart
    Like a great wart, Grima Wormtongue had incrusted the Court of Rohan and would simply refuse to let go.

11. House
    When came the time to choose a name for his House, a recently crowned King Aragorn thought it fitting for it to be Telcontar, that is, Strider in Elvish, as a reminder of his humbler beginnings as Chieftain of the Dunedain.

12. Diary
    It was perhaps not quite a diary, Bilbo Baggins thought, but his tale ?There and Back Again? came as close to faithfully recording his finding of the Ring as it possibly could.

13. Wand
    As he walked in the Golden Hall at Edoras, Gandalf sent heartfelt thanks that his wand had not been confiscated: he had a great task to do quite soon.

14. Alchemy
    Aragorn had long since stopped wondering what kind of strange alchemy had made Arwen fall in love with him: he simply accepted it with good grace and thanked the Valar for the manifold blessings they had granted him in his life.

15. Dotting
    One by one, the great beacons dotting the White Mountains were lit, carrying the cry for help from Gondor to Rohan, recalling the old alliance between Eorl and Cirion, once again uniting Middle-Earth under one purpose.

16. Color
    Arwen?s fingers lovingly caressed the banner she herself had woven, featuring the colours of Gondor with its silver tree and stars embroidered upon a field of sable, hoping it would soon find her love and bring him good luck.

17. Magical
    Gandalf used every magical formula he knew to try to open the gates to Moria, only to be upstaged by a Hobbit?s simple question.

18. Studious
    Faramir applied the same patience he used in his studious endeavours to the task of winning the fair Eowyn?s heart, and the Valar take those who stood in his path.

19. Haughty
    Boromir was sometimes tho

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Thank you for that trip through Middle Earth. =D=

My favorite was number 36 - I think it summons the epic story the better.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was simply marvelous and has the breathtaking feel of the epic legend. =D=

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    15. Dotting
    One by one, the great beacons dotting the White Mountains were lit, carrying the cry for help from Gondor to Rohan, recalling the old alliance between Eorl and Cirion, once again uniting Middle-Earth under one purpose.

"Gomdor calls for aid!"

I love this set. LOTR is an aewsome fandom, and I think you captured the spirit of the story fantastically. This is one of the best LOTR pieces I've ever read :D I hope you continue this!!

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    There are so many things to like about these sentences. [face_love] First of all: your scope! These feel epic =D=, which has always been something that has made me shy away from writing LoTR just because of the sheer scale and weight of the plot and the characters :oops: . . .

Bewitched: Lovely. Gimli's prejudice always amused me, but this was kinda how things moved in a much bigger sphere as well. =D=

Charm: Oh, for the love of fangirling, this one was perfect. [face_love] Although, I am slightly biased as a shipper . . . :p

Rubbish: Best snippit of a scene ever. :p

Alchemy: [face_love]

Dotting: A wonderfully epic sentence. =D=

Magical: That scene was endearing. [face_love] And it was nice to see it here. :)

Misstep: Oh, this was wonderous. I adore Boromir, and his conflict was well displayed here. I have never thought of it that way before. :)

Sport: A great infussion of much needed levity. :)

Robes: [face_dancing]

Lifetime: Complete and utter fangirl goo you have made me . . . :p

Sacrifice: [face_love]

Bond: And that is the twine that holds these stories together, and makes them marvelous. =D=

Portrait: And a wonderful way to wrap.

Thanks for these wonderful gems! [:D]

~MJ @};-

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I read these last night, but forgot to comment! :oops:

I have to say, I rarely read LOTR fan fic because most of it doesn't feel right; that's the reason why I stay away from writing it myself, because whenever I try, it just feels fake and then I don't like it. Very difficult to live up to Tolkinesque standards. :p But this is gorgeous. For the first time in a very long time, I've read a LOTR fanfic that does go perfectly with the world of Tolkien's creation, and I think the format of the 50 Sentences challenge really has something to do with it. I've said it a lot of times all over the place, but it always amazes me and makes me smile that so much can be said in so few words.

My favourites by far are "Family" (Sam's my favourite character!) and "Bond" (perfect summary of what LOTR is all about).

=D=

7. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Hazel:

Thank you for that trip through Middle Earth.
    Why, but you're welcome! It's always nice to spread the love around.

My favorite was number 36 - I think it summons the epic story the better.
    It was one of the easiest senteces to write, and was partly inspired by Aragorn's speech at the Black Gates.

Jade_eyes:

That was simply marvelous and has the breathtaking feel of the epic legend.
    Thank you! I'm glad that this simple offering resonated well. The set of prompts helped a lot, too.

NYCitygurl:

>15. Dotting
    >One by one, the great beacons dotting the White Mountains were lit, carrying the cry for help from Gondor to Rohan, recalling the old alliance between Eorl and Cirion, once again uniting Middle-Earth under one purpose.
    "Gomdor calls for aid!"

One of my favourite parts of The Return of the King. In the movie, it was quite simply breathtaking...

I love this set. LOTR is an aewsome fandom, and I think you captured the spirit of the story fantastically. This is one of the best LOTR pieces I've ever read I hope you continue this!!
    Thank you for your encouragement and your kind words. And as far as the challenge goes, if you let me paraphrase Gimli, let us hope that I last the year...

Mira_Jade:

There are so many things to like about these sentences. First of all: your scope! These feel epic, which has always been something that has made me shy away from writing LoTR just because of the sheer scale and weight of the plot and the characters...
    Stop, or you'll make me blush! Honest! I have to say that I am quite indebted to Peter Jackson, because Tolkien in the original form has always felt a bit too daunting, and with the movies, he made the unattainable actually accessible.

Bewitched: Lovely. Gimli's prejudice always amused me, but this was kinda how things moved in a much bigger sphere as well.
    Well, yes. Behind Gimli's prejudice hides years of mistrust where there once was peace, and it really saddened me when I read the book.

Charm: Oh, for the love of fangirling, this one was perfect. Although, I am slightly biased as a shipper...
    One word: Viggo. Damn, but the man really makes it too easy. I'd take Aragorn any day, all eighty-seven years of him...

Rubbish: Best snippit of a scene ever.
    The scene in the movie was really too good to pass up...

Alchemy: [heart]
    You and I both. See above remark at "charm".

Dotting: A wonderfully epic sentence.
    And one of the most memorable of the movie, as well, carried by equally wonderful music by Howard Shore.

Magical: That scene was endearing. And it was nice to see it here.
    Never discount the wisdom of common sense over grand theories, if I do say so myself.

Misstep: Oh, this was wonderous. I adore Boromir, and his conflict was well displayed here. I have never thought of it that way before.
    I have to thank Sean Bean here, because I never really understood Boromir until I saw the movie. I swear, I cried at the end, and I don't do that so often.

Sport: A great infussion of much needed levity.
    Well, what's a soldier to do with his free time?

Robes: [cheer]
    Of course, I had read the book and knew what was coming, but the movie just blew me away.

Lifetime: Complete and utter fangirl goo you have made me...
    Well, he went and reclaimed his kingship for the love of her. What's a lass to do with such a gift but to acknowledge its worth?

Sacrifice: [heart]
    And only fitting, like those tombs of the unknown soldier, which serve to remind us of the cost of war.

Bond: And that is the twine that holds these stories together, and makes them marvelous.
    In the words of Viggo Mortensen himself: "There is no star in The Lord of the Rings. The Fellowship is a union."

Portrait: And a wonderful way to wrap.
    I could not resist this small glimpse into the Fourth Age...

Thanks for these wonderful gems!
    And thank you for your d

8. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Without further ado, I present you a new set. Enjoy!

[b]Table II:[/b] bend these to the beat of me

01. Earth
    Galadriel?s gift to Sam, a box containing some seeds and soil, was perhaps unexpected, but in retrospect the one present guaranteed to give him hope, for it helped him imagine how life would be after Sauron was vanquished.

02. Air
    Vilya, the Blue Ring of Air and most powerful amongst the Three given to Elves, was kept for a time by Gil-Galad, until it was given to the safekeeping of Lord Elrond, who used its magic to preserve the haven of the Last Homely House.

03. Fire
    Appearances were often deceiving, for who would have thought that, under the guise of Gandalf the Wizard, the great Maiar Olorin roamed Middle-Earth, guardian of the Secret Fire, otherwise known as Narya, the Red Ring.

04. Water
    As the other Three, Galadriel knew when the One Ring had been defeated, for suddenly she felt the magic of the White Ring of Water diminish, and she knew that her time in Middle-Earth had come to an end: at last, she was free to return to Valinor, the land of her youth.

05. Energy
    The Hobbits fell ravenously on a second helping of stew: how were they to know that training with Boromir required so much energy?

06. Awaited
    And when Aragorn the Dunadan was crowned King Elessar of the house of Telcontar, in spite of the evidence at hand, many in Gondor could hardly believe that this long-awaited moment had indeed truly come.

07. Bond
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

08. Gifted
    Boromir had always been a gifted soldier, and could often be found affectionately teasing his brother over his lack of skill, though both knew without the slightest shadow of a doubt which of them was handier with a bow and arrow.

09. Pursuit
    Boromir ran up to his room and slammed the door, putting this flimsy barrier between him and the Gondorian ladies pursuing him; was it really too much to ask that they would be interested in him first, and in his title second?

10. Grasp
    Gollum looked at the Precious, his fingers clenching convulsively, remembering well how it had felt in his grasp.

11. Raze
    Saruman did not suffer any qualms as he contemptuously ordered all the trees of Orthanc to be razed for wood fuel for his forges.

12. Flood
    It was with great rage and dismay that Saruman saw the Ents unleash the Isen, and the river flood sweep away his ambitions.

13. Armada
    The corsairs of Umbar thought that their armada would easily dominate the seas; they had, however, not taken into account the fell deeds of an army with literally nothing to lose, not even life, and eternal rest to gain.

14. Avarice
    Whatever Bilbo?s faults may be, the guests thought as they partook of the lavish banquet laid out for his birthday, avarice wasn?t one of them.

15. Outcry
    Though he had heard many terrible things in his life, Aragorn would never forget the bone-chilling quality of Eomer?s outcry when the Rohirrim Third Marshall found his sister and uncle lying by the Witch-King?s remains.

16. Lighten
    Through all their trials, Sam endeavoured to lighten Frodo?s burden by keeping an indefectible sense of humour.

17. Conflict
    One of the One Ring?s properties was to prey upon the conflicts entrenched deep within one?s soul, and play upon them until nothing else would do but to resort to violence.

18. Ameliorate
    After millennia spent ameliorating their skills, it stood to reason that Elves seemed to Men as nothing short than perfection in all aspects.

19. Scars
    It would be a long time until the lands of Middle-Earth would erase the deep scars left by the War of the Ring.

20. Tea
    Gandalf was, as always, very glad to accept a cup of tea from his dear friend Bilbo Baggins.

21. Avail
    At Dunharrow, Eowyn saw the Hobbit practice his sword-strokes, and urged him to avail himself of the services of a smith, to sharpen his blade as it should.

22. Bend
    Upon reflection, Merry and Pippin thought as they saw the Black Rider on

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    07. Bond
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

So perfect for that word :D

I love these!! The ones about the elves' rings are particularly interesting :D I'm glad you're continuing this!!

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A beautiful wonderful set. I love especially the ones focusing on the amazing Galadriel and superb Arwen. :)

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Lovely second set, laurethiel. @};- Once again, you've really captured the essence of Middle-earth and what I love best about The Lord of the Rings. :) =D=

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Once again, these were amazingly epic and beautiful! I started doing a hit by hit responce, but I was copying most of them, and they all had the same comment - your grasp of an epic feel, and your handling of characterizations was superb and splendid to read. I felt like I just walked away from reading the novels there, and I am pleasently in a fangirl haze now after reading. [face_laugh]

Thank-you for the amazing set! [:D]

~MJ @};-

13. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    NYCitygurl:

>07. Bond
    >One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    So perfect for that word

Well, in somewhat prosaic terms, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I didn't see here how I could ever improve on the Professor's masterpiece.

I love these!! The ones about the elves' rings are particularly interesting. I'm glad you're continuing this!!
    Thanks! I like the sentence format, because then I can bring up all sorts of obscure lore to the fore, without needing to justify it in the frame of a longer story. As for the other, I'm really trying to pace myself and select only one prompt set each month. No need to burn out all my inspiration, is there?

Jade_eyes:

A beautiful wonderful set. I love especially the ones focusing on the amazing Galadriel and superb Arwen.
    I'm glad you liked it. Arwen and Galadriel, too little known in their own right, are truly impressive characters, brought to life magnificently by Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett.

Idrelle_Miocovani:

Lovely second set, laurethiel. Once again, you've really captured the essence of Middle-earth and what I love best about The Lord of the Rings.
    Thank you. Though my simple offering pales in the light of the original work, I am heartened to think that my writing might just be able to make you journey back to Middle-Earth.

Mira_Jade:

Once again, these were amazingly epic and beautiful! I started doing a hit by hit responce, but I was copying most of them, and they all had the same comment - your grasp of an epic feel, and your handling of characterizations was superb and splendid to read.
    Stop! I think I'm blushing, here. The truth is, the world of Tolkien is so rich and plentiful, it makes for an amazing fount of inspiration one cannot help but dive into. If I can be even half as good as the original, I'll count it as a success indeed.

I felt like I just walked away from reading the novels there, and I am pleasently in a fangirl haze now after reading.
    Honestly, I'm just glad I managed to hit the right notes here and transport you to Tolkien's world again.

Thank-you for the amazing set!
    And thank you for your kind comments.

14. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    And the journey to Middle-Earth continues...

[b]Table III[/b] ? beware these ides of March

01. Ancient
    In the whole of Middle-Earth, none were as ancient or wise as the Ents.

02. Dictator
    With his mind helplessly prisoner of the fell visions he had seen in the Palantir, high in the Tower of Ecthelion, Denethor refused to consider any point of view other than his own.

03. Perpetuity
    The Witch-King looked at Eowyn and saw his end coming, and he was glad; his ring had stretched his life far beyond what a normal man would ever hope to expect, and he was weary of the pact he had made with the Dark Lord.

04. Bondage
    Sauron?s objective was deceptively simple: to enslave all peoples of Middle-Earth and surpass his erstwhile master, one Morgoth, named thus by Feanor when he was still Melkor the Valar.

05. Ambition
    Samwise Gamgee had ever had only one ambition, which was to marry Rosie Cotton and settle with her in a comfortable home.

06. Pulpit
    Never one to harangue his troops from afar and let them do all the work, Boromir gleefully unsheathed his sword and dove into the fray of battle.

07. Deity
    Though they were sometimes revered as so many deities, the Valar were subject to the same misgivings as all in Middle-Earth, and their errors all the more devastating.

08. Column
    Grima looked down to the plains of Orthanc, filled with column upon column of Uruk-Hai, and knew that his dreams of ruling the kingdom of Rohan had all but vanished into thin air.

09. Bellum
    In the Histories of Middle-Earth, the last, convulsive years at the very end of the Third Age would become known as the War of the Ring.

10. Stigma
    With great trepidation, the defenders of Helm?s Deep saw the army marked with the White Hand of Saruman fill the space before the gates.

11. Corona
    Aragorn felt the weight of Gondor?s crown settle on his brow, carrying with it the full import of the day?s ceremonies, and he took a moment to breathe deeply as he prepared to renew Elendil?s pledge.

12. Herald
    And Boromir poignantly said, ?one day, our paths will lead us to Minas Tirith, and the tower guards shall take up the call, ?The Lords of Gondor have returned!??

13. Prodigious
    To the Hobbits, the simplest of Gandalf?s magic tricks seemed the most prodigious sleight of hand.

14. Military
    Many thought of Boromir as a purely military man, and would have been shocked to find out that he was a more than passable dancer, given that he refused to indulge in that specific talent for fear of social-climbing maidens.

15. Campaign
    Once he had set to win the fair Eowyn?s heart, Faramir put into this one campaign all the strategic acumen his father never thought he had.

16. Olive
    As a symbol of peace and trust between Rohan and Gondor, Eomer King and King Aragorn took great pride in renewing the oath of mutual assistance once pledged by none other than Cirion and Eorl.

17. Soothsayer
    Lathspell was he named by Grima, but it did not bother Gandalf; he would soon be vindicated by making Theoden reclaim his rightful place.

18. Ides
    ?A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day; an hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day ? this day we fight!?

19. Conspiracy
    And so Saruman reneged on the Order of the Istari to conspire with Sauron against the people of good will remaining in Middle-Earth.

20. Dissemble
    Influenced by the Ring, Gollum had learned to dissemble, and it was therefore with the greatest of ease that he deceived the Hobbits into following him to Shelob?s lair.

21. Senate
    It was with grim determination that Aragorn assembled his friends and fellow commanders in the Hall of Kings, to consult them and determine the course to set to help Frodo achieve his quest to Mount Doom.

22. Altar
    As she attended Eowyn?s wedding celebrations, Lothiriel of Dol Amroth could not help but let her gaze repeatedly travel to the young King of Rohan?s utterly splend

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautifully insightful on Aragorn I believe: i.e. that he would find having Arwen at last the true reward :) and that he would make an inspiring orator. [face_thinking]

Enjoyed also the glimpses of Eowyn: I always found her shieldmaiden side extremely cool & her relationship with Faramir very wonderful for them both.

:D

I didn't like the idea of her pining unrequitedly after Aragorn :p

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This really was the perfect set of prompts to write to. :D As always, for the fear of sounding repetitive, these had a wonderful feel and depth of epic emotion behind them. =D=

Perpetuity: This was a really neat sentence - adding a layer to a surfacly one dimensional character. I enjoyed the insight. :D

Bondage: So simple. [face_laugh]

Corona: Best interpretation of a prompt ever. :) =D=

Military: I loved having a light and fun sentence amongst the rather epic feel that all of these have. The mental image of having him swarmed when trying to dance was a fun one. [face_laugh]

Orator: I love these glimpses we are getting to the future of his reign. [face_love]

Rived: And the fangirl in me does a silly dance. [face_love]

Smote: I loved the action of this sentence. And the portrayal of Eowyn all around, actually. :)

Tremulus: [face_love] There is just so much to love about those two. [face_love]

Laurel: I will not squee, I will not squee . . . [face_love]

Parthenon: A great way to use the prompt - and a very vivid mental image that you inspired. [face_love]

Empire: And a perfect way to wrap with the next hope of the future. [face_love]

~MJ @};-

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Perpetuity: VERY interesting to see it from the perspective of the Witch-King! I kinda liked that he was tired of his duties :D

Ambition: Awwww [face_love]

Herald: This about made me cry :(

Military: [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Campaign: [face_love] I love Faramir/Eowyn :D

Ides: One of my favorite moments in the movie [face_love]

Altar and Conquest: Hilarious and sweet :D

Colossus: I love those statues.

Chariot: Theoden [face_crying]

Legacy: Yay!!

Fab set :D

18. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    I can't comment on all of these so I'll just stick to what stands out to me.

Honour: I wish I can say more about why this nails Aragorn's character but the sentence speaks for itself.

Pulpit/Haughty: I always saw Boromir as the type who leads from the front and I'm glad you had not one, but two sentences about that. And I do think there are certain things he would be modest about. And he'd be more self-aware of his pride than say, Denethor.

Campaign/Tremulous: I'm a huge fan of Faramir/Eowyn. While the movie's scene of them together in the Houses of Healing was too short, it's still better than nothing. Faramir is such a sweetheart there (it also helps that David Wenham is hot) and when I looked at his eyes, I could believe that Eowyn would want to be held by him despite how little I saw of them together.

Military: I never thought of Boromir as purely military either, though I would have never connected it to dancing. I think Tolkien plays with us in the appendices when he describes Boromr as someone who's not very interested in things beyond fighting. But I think when JRRT describes how devoted a brother he was to Faramir, it's a small but telling evidence that he's more than just a military man. Despite his image as a tough uber-soldier, he's very capable of being gentle.

19. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Great sentences, especially the ones about Boromir. =D=

20. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Hello, everyone!

First of all, an apology for these belated replies. I got fairly overwhelmed by Darth Real Life of late (ah! the joys of academia), but I am slowly catching up with everything. Let me get around to replying to the feedback on my Firefly/Serenity sentences, and I'll submit the next set for this series, hopefully in the next few days.

So, without further ado:

Jade_eyes:

Beautifully insightful on Aragorn I believe: i.e. that he would find having Arwen at last the true reward and that he would make an inspiring orator.
    Thanks! His upbringing as a Ranger amongst Elves must have given him a fair sense of perspective, and his varied journeys, made him a well-learned monarch.

Enjoyed also the glimpses of Eowyn: I always found her shieldmaiden side extremely cool & her relationship with Faramir very wonderful for them both. I didn't like the idea of her pining unrequitedly after Aragorn.
    It was nice of Tolkien to show us that women could make a stand, too. And I think that Eowyn may have loved Aragorn in a star-struck way, akin to a full-blown crush, but that she ultimately fell in love with Faramir because with him she could truly be herself.

Mira_Jade:

This really was the perfect set of prompts to write to. As always, for the fear of sounding repetitive, these had a wonderful feel and depth of epic emotion behind them.
    And I fear of sounding repetitive myself when I say I am glad my humble offerings could live up to your expectations.

Perpetuity: This was a really neat sentence - adding a layer to a surfacly one dimensional character. I enjoyed the insight.
    Remember Bilbo's analogy about being like butter stretched too thin? Just imagine that spanning a couple thousand years and you'll get the gist of it.

Bondage: So simple.
    And therefore so powerful.

Corona: Best interpretation of a prompt ever.
    Greatly helped by Viggo's impressive acting in this one scene, to tell the truth.

Military: I loved having a light and fun sentence amongst the rather epic feel that all of these have. The mental image of having him swarmed when trying to dance was a fun one.
    A small bit of trivia: dancing was born as an interesting way of practicing footwork, and a good dancer was usually a good fighter. So there's perhaps more to a girl wanting a good dancer than we make of it nowadays.

Orator: I love these glimpses we are getting to the future of his reign.
    I must say they're quite pleasant to imagine, too...

Rived: And the fangirl in me does a silly dance.
    And the fangirl in me got her heart broken watching that scene in the Extended Edition.

Smote: I loved the action of this sentence. And the portrayal of Eowyn all around, actually.
    I rather love the way she takes her destiny in her own two hands, too.

Tremulus: There is just so much to love about those two.
    And entirely too little of it in the movies (though the EE added quite a fair bit).

Laurel: I will not squee, I will not squee...
    You and I both. I was crying like a wee bairn by that scene. And I am not faint-hearted.

Parthenon: A great way to use the prompt - and a very vivid mental image that you inspired.
    I figured Aragorn would sometimes feel a bit crowded in Minas Tirith, what with roaming the great plains of the North as Strider when he was but a Ranger.

Empire: And a perfect way to wrap with the next hope of the future.
    As Aragorn put it, "there is always hope."

NYCitygurl:

Perpetuity: VERY interesting to see it from the perspective of the Witch-King! I kinda liked that he was tired of his duties.
    In Middle-Earth as in this planet, there is no black and white, but rather many shades of grey.

Ambition: Awwww
    Gotta love Sam. He's just too much, really.

Herald: This about made me cry
    I can't watch that scene without my heart weeping, either.

Military: [laugh]
    See my above remark to Mira.

Campaign: I love

21. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Because if I didn't do this one table I would never have forgiven myself...

[b]Table II[/b] ? One ring to control them all

[i]Three Rings for the Elven-Kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the land of Mordor where shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    On Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where Shadows lie.

Ash Nazg durbatuluk, Ash Nazg gimbatul,
    Ash Nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.[/i]

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Verse of the Rings

01. Quest
    ?Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing...?

02. Forgotten
    In the remnants of the forgotten realm of Arnor, in the cold lands of the north, there dwelt the Rangers, fiercely protecting the unbroken line of the Kings.

03. Found
    Bilbo looked at the Ring, thinking how strange a thing it was for him to have found in Gollum?s dark and murky cave.

04. Influence
    Subtly but inexorably, the Ring influenced even the purest of hearts, until the person was utterly subordinated to its objective of being reunited with its master.

05. Stand
    ?By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!?

06. Friendship
    Sauron had presumed much in his enterprise to submit Middle-Earth to his will, but no presumption was greater than to underestimate the simple yet enduring strength of true friendship.

07. Onus
    Frodo stumbled as he felt, physically and metaphorically, the burden of the One Ring pull down the chain fastened around his neck.

08. Steel
    Steel met steel as Boromir and Faramir enjoyed a rare moment of unadulterated brotherly bonding, otherwise known as combat training.

09. Sight
    ?Never fear, my Hobbit friends, I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!?

10. Heirloom
    Aragorn contemplated the broken shards of Narsil laid down in majesty, and wondered when he would be called upon to take up the kingly mantle and lay claim to this heirloom.

11. Levity
    Theoden watched the celebrations filling Meduseld with joy after the victory at Helm?s Deep and the defeat of Saruman, and he was glad; too little levity had they known of late.

12. Fellowship
    ?Nine companions... so be it; you shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!?

13. Archer
    In perfect synchronism, the Elven archers from Lothlorien turned to salute Theoden King upon their arrival at Helm?s Deep.

14. Ranger
    Looking back on a full life blessed with one handsome son and four maddeningly fair daughters, not to mention the guiding star of his life as his own spouse, King Elessar contemplated how much he had achieved since his days as Strider the Ranger.

15. Pursuit
    In the end, Sam?s pursuit of Rosie was impressively short and sweet, as, after he mustered the courage to invite her for a stroll, she simply smiled and said, ?Samwise Gamgee, what on earth took you so long??

16. Stature
    Though they were but Halflings, Pippin, Merry, Sam and Frodo?s stature was undiminished, and all remembered their bravery in the War of the Ring.

17. Middle
    Boromir soon lost count of the times he had had to intervene between his father and brother, placating the one while consoling the other.

18. Gates
    Frodo looked at the heavily guarded Black Gates, despairing of ever completing the task he had set before himself.

19. Misty
    A misty breeze wafted through the Dead Marshes, increasing the eerie atmosphere of this laden land.

20. Mountain
    As they trekked up the steep slopes of the Caradhras, many of the Fellowship envied Legolas?s ability to lightly tread on snow, hardly disturbing the flakes, while the others sank through to their knees.

21. Doom
    Orodruin was its name, the fateful mountain where Sauron forged the One Ring in the fires of Doom.

22. Tunnel
    Frodo followed Gollum, unaware that the once-Hobbit was leading him through a maze of tunnels to the fell arachnid known as Shelob.

23. Wizardry
    Grima looke

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Amazing sets, as usual :D

01. Quest
    ?Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing...?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love Pippin [face_love]

02. Forgotten
    In the remnants of the forgotten realm of Arnor, in the cold lands of the north, there dwelt the Rangers, fiercely protecting the unbroken line of the Kings.

Yay!!

08. Steel
    Steel met steel as Boromir and Faramir enjoyed a rare moment of unadulterated brotherly bonding, otherwise known as combat training.

Aww [face_love]

13. Archer
    In perfect synchronism, the Elven archers from Lothlorien turned to salute Theoden King upon their arrival at Helm?s Deep.

The elves arriving at Helm?s Deep is one of my favorite scenes in the movies.

15. Pursuit
    In the end, Sam?s pursuit of Rosie was impressively short and sweet, as, after he mustered the courage to invite her for a stroll, she simply smiled and said, ?Samwise Gamgee, what on earth took you so long??

Sam and Rosie are really cute [face_love]

17. Middle
    Boromir soon lost count of the times he had had to intervene between his father and brother, placating the one while consoling the other.

Poor Faramir. He really drew the short stick. It?s nice to see a bond between him and Boromir, even though it ends in tragedy.

32. Humanity
    It was without regrets or second thoughts that Eowyn pledged her troth to Faramir, for in Aragorn she had but loved an ideal, while she had fallen deeply in love with the man who had courted her so patiently, unexpectedly stealing a heart she had thought well-armoured.

[face_love] The one thing I wish the movies had shown more was the Eowyn/Faramir stuff.

50. Legend
    And the tale of the War of the Ring grew in the telling, until fact became history, history became legend, and legend became myth.

Which, as we?ve seen, can be dangerous :p But I love this end mirroring the beginning of the movies :D

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Now, how did I know that you would use this table? [face_laugh] ;)

Friendship: Beautifully expressed! And really, when it boils down to it, that is the whole truth of the matter. [face_love]

Steel: And boys will be boys. [face_laugh]

Sight: Sure you do. :p Oh, that was one of my favorite parts of the movie. [face_love]

Reign: I liked the historian POV kinda taken on this one. Great sentence here! :D

Right: It's a villain thing. :p

Bearer: Isn't that the truth. :(

Consume: I know it's twisted and wrong, but Grima's character fascinates me in a reeeally convoluted way. And I liked this one particularly. :)

Immortality: Aaaand a fangirl squee in three . . . two . . . one . . . ;) [face_dancing]

One: That would always be a lingering regret and doubt. :( But so much was gained for it. [face_love]

Legend: How fitting and eerie that you would end it there. =D=

As always, these were wonderful! =D=

~MJ @};-

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous and insightful set. =D= =D= Your grasp of the characters and sweeping panorama of this epic history is stunning. @};-

:cool:

25. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    01. Quest

Oh Pippen. :p

Loved Legend.

Great set!