main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' Score Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by AmeiaSkywalker, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I listened to the FotR soundtrack before I saw the movie. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but then I'm spoiled, having read the books and followed all the spoilers. I'll probably do the same thing for TTT.

2. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    To ask a bigger picture question, I'm wondering how close Shore's score will be in relation to Fellowship. There could be new themes here and there, but will the score sound too much alike?

I ask this because of several reasons. This film is done with the same people, save some cast members, and that the time between the two movies is very short. Also, while people mention frequently how busy Williams is during this year, Shore himself isn't sitting at home sipping tea, either. With Scorsese calling him to do work on Gangs of New York, Shore has 4 scores during this year.

I fully realize that LotR is one long continuous journey, but I also hope each installment has its own sound. That is certainly true with Williams' work on Star Wars.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree, Bright Sith. While it is important to tie all three scores together overall, it is equally important that each score, and indeed each film, have their own unique feel and sound to a degree. It will be interesting to see and hear what happens December 18.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  5. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Well, the track listing for TTT has been leaked... I'm avoiding it like the plague!

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Why avoid it? It's not like the story hasn't been "leaked" for the last fifty years. . .

7. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    You know, I never thought about that. [face_laugh] :p
    I have read the novel, after all...

Still, I don't remember the order of events too well, so I'll still avoid it.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Ok, so I went to Amazon.com to look for upcoming CD's I might want for X-Mas and when I searched for the Two Towers score, i found two versions that will be released.

One is a single CD version and another is a TWO CD limited edition version. Now, my question is, what is on the second disc of this limited edition? Is it the complete score? Or is it more music from FOTR or some other kind of supplemental music?

Does anyone know?

TTT 2-Disc Limited Edition from Amazon

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    According to something Sithy found on theonering.net, the second disc of the two disc set has additional music from FOTR including some newly composed music for the Expanded Edition DVD.

10. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Cool!
    I Cant wait to check out those CD's!! :D

11. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Getting the new music will be well worth the price! I just saw the extended version yesterday and all I can say is I want the new music now!

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Apparently the new music for the departure of Boromir is very good.

13. MikeyKnew

MikeyKnew Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2002
    If the music at the end of TTT preview isn't "from" the Requiem soundtrack, then it's the biggest ripoff ever! That preview is so awesome!!!!! *licks lips*

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It is from RfaD and yes the trailer is awesome!

15. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Especially on a huge digital screen...

The SE isn't bad on one either. :p

16. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Just wondering, but when does the soundtrack come out? :)

17. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    December 9th.

18. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I'm kind of hoping that AOL offers a high-quality streaming audio version of the entire TTT score like they recently did with HP2. If it happens, it'll probably be within the next week or two.

Anybody remember if there was a streaming version of the FOTR soundtrack last year before the CD was released?

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    There was not.

20. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Filmscoremonthly is reporting that the special edition of the score will come with only one extra cue, "Return to Lothlorien," from the extended FotR. And at a much higher price.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Here's hoping that report is totally false.

22. Neophool

Neophool Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2001
    I sure hope the Fellowship theme is gone forever. I hate that theme, it's just so cookie-cutter and overly dramatic. it sounds like an excerpt from a "Journey plays it's greatest htis with the London Philharmonic" CD. Very distracting. Actually, now that I think about it, it's not the theme I hate, it's the orchestration and underlying chord structure. There's one scene of Gandalf riding to Saruman's nice little residence, and the Fellowship theme is there(no idea why, but it is). It's orchestrated in the horns, with a steady tonic in the basses. The theme does sound much better without that horrible progression underneath.

23. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Wow!

ClassicFM played a couple tracks from the Two Towers score today. You can hear one here.Log in as "TORC_user" and type the password "tolkien". Then you can download the two parts of the track. It's very much worth it, I tell you! The track title isn't really a spoiler since those who haven't read the book won't understand what it means.

24. Joukahainen

Joukahainen Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2001

It doesn't work!

What is the track title anyway?

25. Joukahainen

Joukahainen Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2001
    http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1037134598

You can download two amazing tracks there.
    The tracks are The Riders of Rohan and Forth Eorlingas.
    Make sure you get the best quality!

Neophool, I'm very sorry... the Fellowship theme is alive and well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.