main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive The Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Quickstrike34, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    ?Ash Nazg Durbatulûk, Ash Nazg Gimbatul, Ash Nazg Thrakatulûk, Agh Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!?

A [i]Lightside_Apprintice[/i] / [i]Quickstrike34[/i] production with valued aide from [i]Kendu_Knight[/i] and [i]Blue10[/i]. It will be our own form of continuity, Based on the literary works by author [i]J.R.R Tolkien[/i], with integrations from the Peter Jackson films, the animated films, and than the tabletop game introduced by [i]Games Workshop[/i] in 2001.

(Please note that this is a completely new game, and is in no way related to the other two versions that have been played in the JCC. So, you will not have needed to participate in those to be able to play in this. :) )

[u][b]The Lord of the Rings [/b][/u]

[i]Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race. Three were given to the Elves, wisest and fairest of all beings, Seven to the Dwarves, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls, and than nine, nine were given to the Men, who above all else desire power. But they were all of them deceived ...

...for another ring was made.

In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a Master Ring to control all others. And into this Ring he poured all his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.

One by one the Free Lands of Middle-earth fell to the power of the Ring. The carnage of the Orcs and other foul beasts of Sauron plagued the land. There were those who fled, But there were some who resisted. A last alliance of Men and Elves marched against the armies of Mordor. For seven years, they fought against the armies of Sauron, And finally on the slopes of Mount Doom they fought for the freedom of Middle-earth in what would become a battle of epic proportions. [/i]

Note: If you want find out more about how the Rings of Power came into existence, why they were created, ect, than I suggest reading the last chapter in the Silmarilion, ?Of the Rings of Power, and the Third Age? :)

[u][b]HOW THE GAME WILL WORK THIS TIME AROUND:[/b][/u]

With this version of the LOTR RPG on TFN, Version 3.0, we shall be trying out something a little bit different than before. Instead of using the normal format of a forum driven word RPG, we will be using a rather innovative format created by one of our Gamemasters, Lightside_Apprintice, for his Star Wars RPG, [i]Balance of Power[/i].

If your not familiar with [i]Balance Of Power[/i] you can take a look at it at here: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9687117&replies=3127]Click Here[/link]

Also, this time around, the game will not solely focus upon the quest to destroy the One Ring. There will be plenty of sub-quests and side adventures to keep players going even long after the ring is destroyed (If it is destroyed) [face_grin]

[b][u]THE RULES OF THE GAME[/b][/u] (Updated for 3.0!)

[i][b]Gamemasters (GMs) and Battlefield-Gamemasters (BF-GMs)[/b][/i]

I?ll try to explain this one as best as I can, and I?m sorry if I confused you. Don't worry though, after you see us post a few times you?ll catch on with ease as to whos who and whos doing what. ;)

A Game Master, in this game is someone who will post updates for players. They will guide players along, and moderate battles for them. They are basically the ones who make the giant multicolored posts. Due to time restraints on Lightside, I will be doing most of the updates in this edition of the game. He will still be around though, to guide players along and help them out where needed.

A Battlefield-Gamemaster, is a Gamemaster who's specif

2. Yoda_Drinks_Red_Bull

Yoda_Drinks_Red_Bull Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2002
    It's finally here!

[vadervoice]"I've been waiting for you...[/vadervoice]

Bios

Name: Eomer
    Species: Man of Rohan

Brief Bio: Eomer was born in Rohan where he grew to become the Third Marshall of the Riddermark.
    Eomer was very close to the King of Rohan, Theoden and served with loyalty and pride for his country.

Name: Úlairë Nelya
    Species: Male (now an undead Ringwraith)

Brief Bio: One of the nine who serves Sauron.

3. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    Welcome back, YDRB. :D

Reguarding Eomer:

Since Eomer wasent born unitl after the seige of Barad-Dur and the Last Allaince, his quests will begin sometime next week.

Reguarding Úlairë Nelya:

Úlairë Nelya's adventure will begin tomorrow though. He will be #3 in the Lineup of Nazgul, and will be stationed alongside the Witchking at Minas Morgul :)

4. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    SWeet! got to be good with quick and LS_A working together!

Name:Largo
    Species: dwarf
    Height: 4'4"
    Hair color: brown
    Eye color: blue
    Body Build: medium,very strong in arms.

Place of Birth: Moria
    Personality traits: very devoted,fearless,never backs out of a fight.
    Distinguishing features: scars on arms form axe fighting, burns on legs for runing though fire in battle, one large scar on chest for arrow wound.
    Brief or In-depth Bio: from the time Largo was 5 his father knew he would be a great fighter, he started training at age 7. Been in many a great battle and dule.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Is the LotR table game an RPG or a boardgame? If an RPG, how similiar is it to D&D? I don't mean dice-wise, I mean like character class-wise and species traits-wise. For example: Elves in D&D have a natural resistance to Charm spells and can see in the dark.

6. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    YAY!!! It's up!! It's up!!! YAY!!!

:D :D :D

But...you spelled ARWEN ARWIN!!! :mad: Hmpf.

Anyway, the rules say that we can only have one major character, and I have...two. Well, I don't know if Arwen counts, since all she did in the books was sew a banner. :p

I've prepared for this by researching both Èowyn and Arwen and bookmarking the info. I'm at school right now, so I don't have access to it, and we have a shortened period, so I'll post later so I can have a really kick-@$$ bio.

7. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Name: Thrin
    Species: Human
    Height: 5'11
    Hair color: Brown
    Eye color: Blue
    Body Build: Light

Place of Birth: Bree
    Personality traits: Innocent, and a bit gullible
    Distinguishing features: Wide-eyed openess to the world
    Brief or In-depth Bio:

Born in the town of Bree, but raised in a cottage near the town, he never knew his mother. His father raised him until Thrin's eighteenth birthday, when a bad fall ended his life.

Thrin lived alone, rarely venturing away from his home until his twenty-third birthday, when he went into town, looking for adventure, and an end to the boring life he's known up to now.

With LS_A as a GM, what's not to like? :)

8. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I'll take a Character, i'm not sure how long i'll be able to be atround though, spo i'll choose one that dies.

Name: Isildur
    Brief Bio: Prince of Gondor, Son of Elendil (IIRC).

I know i will die eventually, and i plan on this.

9. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Name: Isildur
    Species: Human of the Race of the Noble Numenoreans
    Brief Bio: Borne to Elendil, Isildur was raised to Numenor's nobility. When the wicked people tried to wage war against the gods, Numenor was sunk and the world changed forever. Isildur and his father escaped to Middle Earth with all that remained of the once proud and chivilrous race of men. Now his father is the King of the White City and all of the realm of Gondor.

Name: Aaragorn
    Species: The Race of men, last of the Dundain
    Brief Bio: Aaragorn is sole heir to the throne of Minas Tirith and is the rightful king of men. He fears that he will take the same path which his ancestor Isildur had suffered 3,000 years ago...

Name: Silverleaf
    Species: Elf
    Height: 6'
    Hair color: sandy blonde
    Eye color: brown green
    Body Build: slender

Place of Birth: that lake-thing-a-majig where the first elves awakened
    Personality traits: calm, collected, firm
    Distinguishing features: a scar on his arm from the Seven year siege of Barad Dur, another on his back from the seige of Angband
    Brief or In-depth Bio: Silverleaf awoke with the world as one of the first born children of Iluvatar. He marched to the land of the undying with the rest of the Calquendi amongs't the Noldor company and resided there for a time. It is here that he met and fell in love with his wife, Finariel.
    To them were gifted 3 children whose names were Goldfeather, Celebrati, and Aulena. Silverleaf and his family left Valinor when Melkor stole the Simarils and put the land into darkness. Silverleaf and his two sons, Goldfeather and Celebrati, participated in the war of war of the jewels and were greatly renowned for their deeds in the songs of their people. Wishing for nothing more than to vanquish the dark lords, Silverleaf and his sons eagerly joined the host of Gilgalad as they pressed into Mordor and fought back the shadow.

Edit- Quickstrike forgot to mention that I claimed Isildur for the first battle as well. But if you must have him, it is fine with me but I'd rather you take Elendil if you don't mind. If you decide on Isildur, I'll have Elendil in his stead for the first battle.

Edit 2- Mitt, character stats are more along the lines of strength, accuracy, and agility. Of course, people like Gandalf and Saruman still cast spells and unnamed captains in your armies can still commit heroic actions. It's more of a warhammer based game though the phase system in LOTR seems to run more smoothly than the turn system of Warhammer. minatures are used as game peices and are moved and fight across a table with things like model train terrain on it. Granted, there are no tracks and train stations, the middle earth scenery is close to that scale to give you an idea of the size of everything.

I'm a battle field GM, go me!

10. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Well, i would LIKE Isildur, but i can go with Elendil as well, dosen't really amtter to me.

11. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    That's cool, Elendil dies too so you still get that honor. Heck, we both die, go us!

Edit- We need a Gilgalad, I think. But Elrond is Lightside's territory.

12. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I'm game for this one:

Name: Boromir
    Species: Man of Gondor
    Brief Bio: Eldest son to the Steward of Gondor, (movie version looks - Sean Bean is Boromir)

13. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Name: Arwen Undómiel
    Species: Peredhel elves
    Brief Bio: (What book or production is your character from, a few details about him her, ect) Arwen lived in Rivendell and Lorien for roughly 3000 years in contentment, until she met and fell in love with Aragorn. After the War of the Ring, Arwen and Aragorn were married on midyears day, and Arwen became Queen of Gondor. In FO 120, Aragorn passed, and Arwen journeyed to Lorien, where she died the following winter.

Name: Èowyn of the House of Eorl, White Lady of Rohan
    Brief Bio: (What book or production is your character from, a few details about him her, ect) Near the time of the War of the Ring, Eowyn met Aragorn, and instantly fell in love with him. When she learned that he planned to ride the Paths of the Dead, she despaired, and soon feared him dead. In the disguise of a man named Dernhelm, she left Rohan, and rode to Gondor with the king's forces, sneaking Merry along at her side. Eowyn won great renown, with the aid of Merry, by slaying the Witch-King and his fell steed. During the slaying of the Witch-King, Eowyn sustained a near deadly injury, and was also hurt by the black breath. During her stay in the Houses of the Healing in Gondor, she met Faramir, and while recovering, fell in love with him. After the War of the Ring, Eowyn and Faramir were married, and she became the White Lady of Ithilien.

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Name: Legandir
    Species: Elf
    Height: 5'10"
    Hair color: Plantium White
    Eye color: Blue
    Body Build: Athletic

Place of Birth: Rivendale
    Personality traits: Quiet, arrogant, bold
    Distinguishing features: tba
    Brief or In-depth Bio: tba

Click Here for help in coming up with names for your characters!

15. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    Name: Daewyn
    Species: human
    Height: 5'10"
    Hair color: blond
    Eye color: green
    Body Build: medium, strong arms

Place of Birth: Rohan

Personality traits: tough, untrusting, very loyal to those who have earned her trust
    Distinguishing features: part of her right ear has been cut off and the other nicked so they look somewhat pointed from a distance.

Brief or In-depth Bio: Daewyn was born in Rohan and her mother died in child birth and her father in a war. She moved around a lot and began living most of her life in the forest of Ithilien. She's called the Lady of Ithilien. She has spent sometime with the greenwood elves and carries a ranger's sword and an elvin bow and arrow. She wears a decorated black dress with small gems with a large hood to cover her face. She has her own horse, he's a black stallion.

16. plokoon480

plokoon480 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    No one took Gimli? :eek: Yes! :D
    Name:Gimli son of Gloin
    Species:Dwarf
    Height:4-4 1/2 feet
    Hair color:Brown
    Eye color:Brown
    Body Build:Short, stocky, with long brown hair and a long brown beard.

Place of Birth:Erid Luin, the Blue Mountains.
    Personality traits: Angry towards elves. (For now,) gruff, easily angered, brave.
    Distinguishing features:Long beard and braid.
    Brief or In-depth Bio:Son of Gloin,Gimli was born in the Blue Mountains and then moved to the Lonley Mountain after Smaug was defeated. Has been called to the Council of Elrond with his father Gloin.

Also, if its okay I would like to play as Gil-Galad just for the battle of Dagorland. If it's not okay just tell me.

17. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Name: Garg
    Species: Uruk-Hai
    Height: 190 cm
    Hair color: black
    Eye color: black
    Body Build: Massive

Place of Birth: Mordor
    Personality traits: Hates everything and all.
    Distinguishing features: One of the bigger Orchs in Saurons army, General of them. Or, well.. the one that screams the loudest and are not so dumb like the others. Hi's body is so massive and muscular, that he has a two-hand-sword in each hand (all Orch-like-looking-swords).
    Brief or In-depth Bio: Well, born and raised in Mordor, for two purposes only. To kill all and everything that isn't controled by Sauron. Obay the orders from Sauron.

OOC: Untill I recieve a PM from Quickstrike, this will be my character.

18. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Name: Gandolf The Grey
    Species: Maia!
    Brief Bio: Meh...im lazy...you know him, you loved him, but he looks sooo tacky in grey. :p

Name: Ghazghkull Thraka
    Species: Orc
    Height: 6'2"
    Hair color: Black
    Eye color: brown
    Body Build: Extremely Muscular

Place of Birth: Breeding grounds of Mordor
    Personality traits: Driven by bloodlust.
    Distinguishing features: Looks like a green skinned braveheart.
    Brief or In-depth Bio: found in the ground covered by a membrane, Thrall was found to be exceptionally smart for a normaly stupid orc. Given a small command of men, he will find all those that oppose his master, and eat them for dinner....or lunch...or break fast....or whenever, hes just hungry.

[b][color=darkgreen]WAAAGH![/b][/color]

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Blue_10 - Im just wondering if Elves can be mages like they can in D&D instead of just having one or two spells.

20. bowieslefteye

Feb 11, 2003
    when do we start???

[face_plain]

21. Quickstrike34

Sep 27, 2001
    UPDATE FOR ALL PLAYERS:

Thank you all for joining! :D

As stated before, the first IC update will be posted tomorrow and will be for any player who has a character that is involved in the Last Alliance. For those of you who do not have characters involved in the Last Alliance, your update will come later this weekend or early next week after the Last Alliance is finished and we flash forward to the Council of Elrond.

Also, I would like to note that each player may have Two main characters in there possession. It was a typo on my part when I said that they may have only one, and apologize for any confusion that may have caused. [face_blush]

Monkey_Jedi: Welcome to the game. Largo?s quest will begin in a couple days after the Battle of the Last alliance is finished. My assumption, is you will want to be one of the Dwarves who wishes to reclaim Moria from the grasp of darkness? ;)

Amidala14: But...you spelled ARWEN ARWIN!!! Sorry, blame that on typing at 4am. 8-}

Yomin_Carr: Welcome to the game. Thrin?s adventure will begin in a couple days after the Battle of the Last Alliance has come to a close and we flash forward to the time period around the Council of Elrond. :)

Blue10: I see Silverleaf is back for another round. ;) Both he and Isildur?s quests will begin in the next update. Aragorns will begin early next week when we flash forward to the Council of Elrond.

Gorin_Zachian: Welcome to the game. Elendil?s adventure will begin in the next update. I?m sorry about the confusion regarding Isildur.[face_blush] After Elendil dies at the end of the Last Alliance, your always welcome to come back and join us after your time restraints pass. :)

Cavalier_One: Welcome to the Game. Boromirs quest will begin next week when we flash forward to the Last Alliance. :)

Mitth: Welcome to the Game. My assumption is you would like for Legandir to participate in the battle of the Last Alliance? If so than his quest will begin in the next update. :)

Also, to answer your question regarding the Elves as mages rather than being able to cast just a few spells, its unlikely since in the LOTR universe Elven magic isn't as expanded as it in in the D&D universe. However, Elves will still have advanced eyesight, the ability to sleep while running, ect. Some of the more powerful ones will also minor telepathic abilities and the gift of foresight. If you would like for your character to have some sort of Magical powers outside of the normal though, PM or IM me and I?m sure we can work something out. :D

Plokoon480: Welcome to the game. Gimlis adventure will begin early next week when we flash forward from the end of the Last Alliance to the Council of Elrond. Also, your more than welcome to take Gil-Galad for the battle of the Last Alliance, his adventure will begin in the next update. :)

The_Dark_Overlord: Welcome to the Game. Unfortunately though, Sauron wouldn't have Uruk-Hai this early on in the game. If you want, you can become an Uruk-Hai under Saruman, or you can just be a really beefed up Mordor Orc under Sauron. :D

Thok: Welcome to the Game. Since the five Maia weren't sent into Middle Earth until after the defeat of Sauron in the Last Alliance, Gandalfs adventure will begin early next week. As for Thrall, his adventure will begin next week as well. Welcome to the Forces of Darkness. [face_devil]

22. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Uhm.. I'l bee a Really Beefed up Mordror Orc instead ;)

Also, another characther.

Name: Treebeard
    Age: Old.. realy old, you think Elves are old? He's older.
    Species: Ent
    Height: 3 meters
    Hair color: Mossy
    Eye color: Brown/green
    Body Build: A Tree

Place of Birth: Fangor
    Personality traits: Suspicious about everything, loves his forest more than anything.
    Distinguishing features: Branches.. leaves.. you know the deal with trees.
    Brief or In-depth Bio: Born in Fangor.. created fangor?

23. Jango313

Jango313 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    Name: Gollum/Smeagol
    Species: Hobbit
    Brief Bio: Smeagol was a young hobbit and his cousin Deagol found a golden ring in the river. Smeagol asked for as a birthday present but Deagol wouldn't let go of it. Smeagol killed Deagol and took the ring. It transformed him and poisoned his mind. The villigers called him Gollum because of the sound in his throat and he was kicked out of the village because he kept spying on the villigers using the ring to make him invisible. he fled along with his precious into the Misty Mountains and told himself lies why he took the ring. Until Bilbo Baggins found the ring as he met up with Gollum and they played the Riddle Game. Until Bilbo asked "What do I have in my pocket?" Gollum couldn't answer and left and went back to his island to find that his precious was lost and Bilbo got away. Until when chance came he set out looking for the ring until the enemy tortured him until he gave answers to who has the ring. "SHIRE!!!! BAGGINSSSS!!!" He was set loose again following the fellowship and then following Frodo and Sam. He currently is surving as guide to Frodo and Samwise to lead the to Mt. Doom. Although he might have his own plans....

OOC: I don't think that was too brief.... Sorry... :D

24. bowieslefteye

Feb 11, 2003
    Yes i will be one of the dwarvs that trys to take moria back.

25. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    I've created a list of current characters and their respective players, ignoring the Battle of the Last Alliance, so that if there are any errors then they can be raised before actual gaming begins. They have been grouped into what I may refer to loosely as nations, so if there are concerns, I'm willing to make some changes. The groups will basically shift as the game draws on to provide an up-to-date record of who is in your party. ie. Fellowship, forces of Mordor, Gondor, Isengard etc.

RIVENDELL
    Arwen [Amidala14]
    Silverleaf [Blue_10]
    Legandir [CmdrMitthrawnuruodo]
    Legolas [Kendu_Knight]
    Elrond [LightSide_Apprentice]

ROHAN
    Eomer [Yoda_Drinks_Red_Bull]
    Èowyn [Amidala14]
    Daewyn [Mistryl]

GONDOR
    Isildur [Gorin_Zachian]
    Boromir [cavalier_one]

LONELY MOUNTAIN
    Gimli [plokoon480]
    Largo [Monkey_jedi]

INDEPENDENTS
    Thrin [Yomin_Carr]
    Treebeard [The_Dark_Overlord]
    Aragorn [Blue_10]
    Gandalf [Thok]
    Gollum [Jango313]

MORDOR
    Sauron [Quickstrike34]
    Witch King [BrianCarrol]
    Úlairë Nelya [Yoda_Drinks_Red_Bull]
    Garg [The_Dark_Overlord]
    Ghazghkull Thraka [Thok]

ISENGARD
    Saruman [Quickstrike34]

With Quickstrike's approval, I would like to request that players elect to choose any weapons and/or equipment they wish to begin with. Please keep it to a minimum as you will be provided for as the game progresses. Choose only as much as you can carry. For dwarves this may be more than elves or humans, depending on your bio (gender, physical strength etc.) Take your time. I promise you, this will be an RPG to enjoy and remember, but only if it isn't rushed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.