main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Lost Ones, Sequel to Return to Naboo, a post RotJ-AU, Author Replies 8/22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kristeh, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Title: The Lost Ones

Author: Kristeh

Timeframe: 4 months after RotJ

Characters: Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, some Oc?s.

Genre: Angst/Adventure

Keywords: Not sure

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars, and I am not making any money from this, etc.

Rating: G or PG

Introduction: I?m sorry for the long introduction. If you read ?Return to Naboo,? then you already know this, but in case any new readers come along, I?ll go ahead and explain. Luke and his father, Anakin Skywalker, are my favorite characters in the SW saga, though I like most of the others, too. I particularly enjoy stories where Anakin survives. I have read several very good ones that describe how Anakin could be redeemed, healed, and accepted by his family, but that?s where they ended. I was curious about what might happen after that, so I began writing my own stories. This one is a sequel to my first, ?Return to Naboo,? but it is not really necessary to have read that one before ?The Lost Ones.? I sum up the main points in the prologue.

To understand this story, the reader needs to know that everything from the movies happened until the end of RotJ, and then, of course, I had Anakin survive after his redemption. He has been healed of his injuries so he no longer needs any special equipment, he has been forgiven by his children and their friends, and accepted back into society. I have had the Rebel Alliance and Empire make peace and form the New Republic. I have imagined Anakin being very instumental as a liasian between the two groups, and that helped everyone to accept him.

Though it may make my stories seem incomplete, I decided not to describe those scenes. My reasoning is that there are other fanfiction stories that show them. I don?t believe I could improve on what?s already out there, and my purpose is to write about how Anakin?s relationships with his family could develop in the weeks and months after RotJ, once the initial reactions were over.

?The Lost Ones? begins approximately four months after RotJ, and one month after the events in ?Return to Naboo.? Luke and Anakin are about to begin a mission to search for Zel Miret?s missing family. They have several adventures on various worlds, but along the way Luke begins to suffer flashbacks from his history with his father. The other characters make cameos at the beginning and end, but this is mainly a Luke/Anakin story. Well, here?s the prologue. Hope you enjoy it.

J_M_Bulldog and JediMasterKobe: Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback on RTN. I?m posting the sequel just for you. Oh, I?m still typing part of ?The Lost Ones? so I won?t be able to post a chapter every day. I?ll try for once or twice a week.

Kristeh

The Lost Ones-Prologue

Naboo.

?She?s beautiful,? Luke breathed in awe as he, his father, and the faithful little droid R2 gazed at the gleaming silver ship Anakin had recently purchased.

?She?s almost an exact copy of your mother?s Royal Starship,? Anakin agreed, ?With a few important differences. She?s had enough modifications to almost equal the Falcon in speed, though I?m sure Han would dispute that. And I had a weapons system installed. The old Royal ships weren?t equipped with any, but I figure it?s better to be prepared.?

Luke nodded. With the ending of the galactic civil war and the establishment of the New Republic, peace was a reality for most of the galaxy. However, there were still dangerous areas and the Skywalker family in particular might run into enemies. They had learned that lesson all too well just recently.

Arriving on the peaceful planet Naboo a few weeks earlier, they had met a man named Zel Miret, who was actually a former medical researcher, Tablo Colzin. In his past as Darth Vader, Anakin had taken part in the displacement of the Colzin family and in inadvertantly forcing Tablo to develop biological weapons for Palpatine.

Seeking revenge against Anakin, Colzin (or Miret as he was now known) had infected Luke with the deadly bysa virus.

2. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Just found this.
    Oooooh, a sequel, yeah!!!!!!!
    You posted this just for me and JediMasterKobe. [face_blush] Thanks.
    I look forward to see where you take this.
    BTW: Love the interacrtion between father and son. I could easily see Anakin being that loving to and protective of his boy.

3. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I read it on fanfiction.net as well :) Great idea!

4. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hello, everyone,

Here's chapter 1. Hope you enjoy it.

Kristeh

The Lost Ones Part 1

Coruscant.

Leia stood on the landing platform and gazed anxiously at the sky. They should be arriving any minute now. She couldn?t wait to see Luke. When they had parted, he had still been recovering from the bysa virus and she wanted to see with her own eyes that he was completely well again. Though she knew their father would not have agreed to their leaving Naboo if Luke were not one hundred percent yet.

She was eager to see her father, too. Now that they were finally able to move beyond the shadows of the past, she was looking forward to becoming closer to him.

?Don?t worry. I?m sure they?ll be along soon,? Lando Calrissian, newly appointed governor of Coruscant, spoke from beside her. ?You know with half the spaceport controllers on strike, it?s taking a lot longer for traffic to move on and off-planet.?

?How are the negotiations coming along?? Leia asked. Lando had taken on a tough job. Under Palpatine?s control, Coruscant had become a world where a relatively small group of his lackeys possessed most of the wealth and everyone else barely survived. Now the population expected the New Republic, via Lando, to undo twenty years? worth of damage to the economy overnight. Every day new groups protested and went on strike. Lando?s days were filled with meetings with economic advisors, union representatives, and relief-aid committees. His duties had prevented him from vacationing on Naboo, but he had squeezed in a few minutes to welcome Luke and Anakin.

Lando broke into a genuine smile, the first one Leia had seen from him in days. ?I think we?re close to resolving it. Don?t make any announcements, but I?m meeting with their representative tomorrow and we?re on the verge of reaching an agreement. By the way, thanks for lending me 3PO. He?s been a big help.?

?Han will never believe that,? Leia remarked. Then she was grinning broadly herself as a gleaming silver ship approached and came to a gentle landing at the end of the platform. ?Here they are.?

And then Luke and Anakin were among them and they were all laughing and hugging.

?It?s good to see you.?

?We?ve missed you.?

?Are you all well again??

?Beeeeep.?

Finally they all drew back and looked at one another. Luke noticed some important faces were missing. ?Where are Han and Chewie??

Leia sighed. That was the boo-fly in the ointment these days. Han?s position in the New Republic fleet meant that he spent a lot of time away from Coruscant. ?They?re with the fleet near Gaizarane.?

Anakin touched her shoulder sympathetically. ?Seems like he has to spend a lot of time away.?

Leia nodded, then smiled at him. ?Yes, but that?ll change soon. After the wedding, he?s going to take a new position in the New Republic.?

They looked at her curiously.

After a dramatic pause, Leia continued, ?Han will be the head instructor at the New Republic Flight Academy.?

?Han? He?s going to be a teacher?? Luke rather incredulously asked.

?Flight instructor,? Leia corrected with a grin. ?You should see your face. It?s exactly the way Han looked when Admiral Ackbar first suggested the idea. But the more we talked about it, the more we realized it would be great for Han. He?s one of our best pilots, a great tactician and innovator, and he knows all about the strengths and weaknesses of various types of ships. He?d get to spend a lot of time flying and best of all, he?d be permanently stationed on Coruscant.?

?Personally, I think he?ll be a fine instructor,? Anakin said reassuringly. ?Who could do a better job teaching the young pilots of the New Republic??

Luke nodded slowly. Now that he thought about it, the idea did have its merits. ?How about that? Han, Father, and me all becoming teachers? You?ll have to find some proteges, too, Leia. You don?t want to be left out.?

?It sounds like more fun than drawing up the Intergalacti

5. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Oooh, postie.
    Yeah! They're on their way to find them.
    Lando as a governor, that's different. I guess after Bespin he can do the job.
    Han as a flight instructor, never saw that one coming.
    Question: Is Padme really dead or could Palpatine have lied to Anakin and she's actually a politically prisoner on some plane, maybe even Roon?
    Anyway great post.

6. Viceroy Rook

Viceroy Rook Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 1999
    Woo-hoo! The sequel! I'm glad you decided to do one.

I'm likin' it so far!

7. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Looking really good! :) Cab hardly wait for more!

8. Viceroy Rook

Jun 19, 1999
  9. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi, everyone,

J_M_Bulldog: Glad you're enjoying it. Yes, I have everyone doing something respectable these days. Again, it is different from EU because when I planned it I hadn't read that many books so I just had them do what I thought they'd be good at. And to answer your question, sadly, Padme really is dead in my story. I wanted to concentrate on Anakin and his children rather than on Anakin/Padme or Padme/Luke and Leia. I might have her be alive in another story sometime, though.

Viceroy Rook and LovelyLea: Thank you so much for the encouraging feedback. It means a lot to me. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Okay, here's the next part.

Kristeh
    The Lost Ones Part 2

Roon.

The path to Roon was a navigational nightmare. A thick belt of spinning asteroids and seething gases blocked the small planet from the rest of the galaxy. The tiniest piloting error could result in annihilation.

A few brave (or foolhardy) colonists had settled on the planet over the centuries by following comets? tails. A series of ice balls passed close to Roon?s sun once every year and traced the only safe path to the planet.

The time of the comets had passed months before Anakin and Luke arrived. Likely no one else in the galaxy could have made it through successfully. Even for two Jedi, it was difficult.

Anakin and Luke sat at the controls, managing to be both fully attuned to the Force and fully aware of their of their surroundings at the same time.

?Incoming, starboard,? Luke said quickly, but calmly.

In response, Anakin took the Angel on a tight spiral to the left, then dove under a looming rock and twisted sharply to avoid another. For over an hour the ship spun, rose, and fell through the deadly maze of asteroids and gases until finally they made it through and a small green and blue planet hung in space before them.

Father and son grinned at one another in relief. Anakin turned on a holographic map and pointed out a spot near the coast on a northern continent. ?The port city of Nime is Roon?s capital, and the largest city. We?ll land there.?

Luke turned on the transmission. ?City of Nime, this is the Naboo Angel requesting permission to land.?

The only response was silence. Luke waited a few minutes, then repeated the message with the same result. He looked at his father.

Anakin shrugged. ?Probably have their communications turned off. Visitors are rare even during the time of the comets. We?ll just have to wait until we?re in sight. I?m sure they?ll contact us then.?

He was right. As the Angel drew near enough to make out the streets and buildings of Nime, the communicator abruptly came to life. A stunned, young voice demanded, ?Unidentified ship, who are you? Where have you come from??

?We are the Naboo Angel,? Luke answered calmly. ?We traveled through the asteroid field. We request permission to land.?

?That?s impossible!? the voice said sharply. ?No one can make it through without the comets to guide them.?

?We are Jedi Knights,? Luke replied. ?The Force led us through.?

?Jedi? The Jedi are extinct,? but there was doubt in the voice.

?Not quite. There are two of us on board. Please, do we have permission to land?? Luke repeated the original question.

After a long hesitation, the voice said, ?Of course. You can land when ready. There?s only one docking bay.?

Anakin located the spaceport and set the ship down gently. He turned to his son. ?Here we are.?

?What do you want to bet that the whole town is going to turn out to stare at us and ask a million questions?? Luke asked as they slipped their Jedi robes over tan tunics and pants, and headed for the hatchway.

Anakin shook his head. ?I don?t have that much money.?

But they were wrong. When they descended the ramp, they found only a young teenage girl waiting for them in the small, rustic spaceport. She had sunstreaked light brown hair pulled back in a braid, though the sea breeze had whipped stran

10. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    The rescue was :cool:. I like them working together.

Hmm, if they weren't on the ship then where in the galaxy are they?

"So, you want to tell me about the skyhopper incident?"
    Whoops. ;) Luke now your in for it. :p

11. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hello,

Here's the next chapter. Thanks, J_M_Bulldog, for the feedback. I like to see Luke and Anakin work together, too. As for Betta and Keren Colzin, the search is just beginning.

Kristeh

The Lost Ones Part 3

Nar Shaddaa.

The small moon that orbited the planet Nal Hutta had once been an oasis of cool green forests and sparkling lakes. That was before the Hutts came. The vile gangster slugs seemed to defile everything they touched and Nar Shaddaa was no exception.

Luke grimaced as he stood at the foot of the ramp to the Naboo Angel. Noxious fumes permeated the air and garish, grimy buildings formed the landscape as far as the eye could see.

Anakin joined him, also wearing an expression of distaste. ?It?s criminal how the Hutts have destroyed this place. Now, Luke, we must be extremely careful. Nar Shaddaa is a refuge for the galaxy?s most notorious villains.?

?I know. I?ve heard Han talk about this place. And,? he grinned at his father. ?I?m not Luke now. I?m Grant Skeal and you?re my father, Pax.?

Anakin grinned back and ruffled his son?s hair. ?Okay, then, ?Grant.? Let?s go.?

They left the spaceport and made their way along the crowded street. Normally, the sight of two Jedi strolling around the downtown district would have caused passersby to cast surreptitious glances in their direction and many would have kept their distance or chosen an alternate route. But Luke and Anakin were projecting different images to the people on the street.

Instead of being tall, blond, and blue-eyed, Anakin had chosen to appear as a short, squat dark-haired man with green eyes. Luke seemed to be taller, more muscular, with brown hair and eyes. They had taken on the aliases Pax and Grant Skeal, father and son shipping merchants from Corellia. Luke had argued that they ought to pretend to want to purchase slaves. That would be the easiest way to gain access to the slave auction records, but Anakin had refused. Even in pretense, he could not play a role in the slave trade. The old pain and humiliation of his childhood slavery was too deeply entwined in his soul.

So instead they were using the cover story that they were searching for information on some associates who might have been captured by pirates and sold into slavery.

?Won?t someone wonder why we?re just now looking for people kidnapped seventeen years ago?? Luke had asked during the trip to Nar Shaddaa from Roon.

?Hopefully, we won?t have to mention a specific year,? Anakin had replied. ?I?m going to use the Force to convince them to leave us alone with the records.?

?Will the Hutts themselves be in control of the records?? Luke had responded. ?Because if so, your plan may not work, Father. Jabba was highly resistant to mind suggestions.?

Anakin had considered. ?I don?t think it?s a native trait of Hutts in general. Some are more susceptible than others, like any group. But if my idea doesn?t work, we?ll just have to be creative. Perhaps we could sneak in.?

They had been sitting on the sofa in the lounge, and Luke had scooted closer to Anakin and tentatively touched his hand. ?Father, can I ask you something??

?Of course,? Anakin had smiled warmly at him.

?What was your life like as a slave??

Anakin had been silent for so long that Luke had begun to think he might not answer. But finally he had. ?Well, I suppose I was luckier than many slaves. I don?t remember being owned by Gardella the Hutt, and Wattoo wasn?t a terrible master. I actually think he was fond of my mother and me, in his own way. And my mother filled my life with love. I was a happy child. Still, by the time Qui-Gon found me, I had begun to realize the restrictions and difficulties of being a slave. I had many dreams for the future that I could see weren?t possible for a slave. I had noticed that other people were prejudiced against slaves and was ashamed of that. I?m sure it would have become more difficult to accept as I grew older, if I hadn?t been sent away

12. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi,

I've been able to get a lot typing of done lately so I'm going ahead with the next chapter. Here it is.

Kristeh

The Lost Ones Part 4

Space.

The Naboo Angel floated in space, hidden behind one of Kessel?s moons. The desolate world had once belonged to the Empire. Many criminals and political prisoners had been sent there to work in the glitterstim mines. Glitterstim was a narcotic drug mainly used for therepeutic purposes, but often misused as well. In the months since Endor, Kessel had been taken over by a former prison guard named Moruth Doole and it was doubtful that he would be pleased to receive Jedi Knights from the New Republic.

The Angel had only come out of hyperspace a few hours earlier and it had been the time for their sleep cycle. Anakin had taken the Angel to a sheltered location away from any sensors that might alert Doole to their presence, and Luke and his father had retired to get some rest before landing on Kessel.

Anakin was still sleeping soundly, but Luke slipped quietly through the lounge to the cockpit. He was grateful they had the ship to themselves again. The day after leaving Nar Shaddaa with the group of young orphans they had rescued, Luke and Anakin had met up with a New Republic convoy and the children had been sent on ahead to an orphanage on Coruscant.

As they were parting ways, Gil had turned to Luke and said seriously, ?Now, be careful with your lightsaber.?

?I will,? Luke had swiftly assured him. ?We?ll see you again when our mission is over.?

When the children had gone, Anakin had given Luke a puzzled look. ?What did he mean by that??

?Oh, I suppose it?s just that they were watching me train with a remote earlier and I warned them that lightsabers could be dangerous,? Luke had replied. It wasn?t a lie, but it wasn?t the whole truth either.

Fortunately, Anakin had not picked up on it, or if he had, he had decided not to press the issue. The truth was that Gil had noticed the faint lines around the opening panel of Luke?s artificial right hand. Luke couldn?t believe how observant the boy was. The lines were so faint that even Luke, who knew exactly where the panel was, had to look closely to see them. Trust the sharp eyes of a child to notice everything! He?d breathed a prayer of thanks that Anakin was in the cockpit, safely out of hearing range.

The children had been inquisitive, and since no one had ever taught them to be tactful, full of questions. Luke had known immediately that it was not the time or place for a discussion about his father?s history, though if Gil were ever to become their padawan he would have to hear the story eventually. Instead the young Jedi had told them that he had lost his hand in a lightsaber ?accident? some time ago.

?Did it hurt?? Gil had asked.

?At the time it did and for a while afterwards, but it?s fine now,? Luke had answered.

?What does it feel like?? another boy had wanted to know.

?It feels like a real hand.?

Gil had leaned closer to examine Luke?s hand. ?How did you do it? Were you playing with a lightsaber when you weren?t supposed to??

?You could say that,? Luke had replied after a moment?s silence.

Gil had looked at him sympathetically. ?Was your father angry with you??

An odd expression had crossed Luke?s face. ?You could say that,? he?d repeated.

?But he shouldn?t have been!? a girl had burst out. ?You were already hurt.?

Luke had glanced at the hall leading to the cockpit. He?d wanted to wrap up this conversation before Anakin came in. ?Well, he?s very sorry now. Look, we really don?t talk about it much anymore, so let?s not mention my hand again, okay??

?Okay,? they?d all agreed, and they hadn?t.

Perhaps he was overreacting, but Luke worried about his father. Anakin was still so devestated about the things he?d done as Vader, especially to his family. Luke didn?t want to cause him any more pain. Anakin needed to concentrate on the present and the future. T

13. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Yay another postie.
    Why do I have a bad feeling about the escort?

14. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    I don't know if this is going to go through or not. I was just playing around with an edit.

Kristeh

15. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi,

J_M_Bulldog: Glad you're hanging in there. About the escort, well, they're just there to keep Anakin and Luke from wandering off on their own. Course you know that's not going to stop them! Thanks again for responding.

Here's chapter 5. Hope you enjoy it.

Kristeh The Lost Ones-part 5

Kessel.

As his father gently set the Angel down at docking bay 51, Luke went to the lounge and rummaged through a supply closet until he found the breath masks he had packed when preparing for the journey back on Coruscant. They had not known then that they would be coming to Kessel, had not known any specific location they would visit other than Roon, but there were many inhospitable planets in the galaxy. Luke had tried to think of every possible item they would need.

Meanwhile Anakin looked through the window at the soldiers waiting for them on the docking bay. They no longer wore stormtrooper armor though they had once served the Empire. Now they were dressed in dark gray and carried powerful assualt rifles. But there were only about a dozen of them, and they had never been among the Empire's best and brightest. Controlling overworked, underfed slaves who couldn't survive long outside the mines in Kessel's thin atmosphere didn't require much skill, and as Kessel was considered a hardship post, it was usually staffed by the more incompetent troops. Anakin did not want to be overconfident, but he didn't think they would pose a real threat to two trained Jedi.

That thought reminded him of his son's earlier comment and he shook his head in bewilderment. It was so out of character for Luke to be moody and defensive. Of course, Luke himself had admitted he hadn't slept well. Possibly the boy was just tired, but Anakin had seen Luke tired before and still, his son did not normally snap at people like that. Anakin couldn't shake the feeling that something was going on under the surface with Luke, but he couldn't figure out what it could be. As soon as they left Kessel, he decided he would have a talk with Luke and see if he could get the boy to open up to him. Luke had been there for him so many times these past months, offering him comfort and encouragement whenever he felt overpowered by the weight of his crimes. Anakin was determined to share his son's burdens as well. As Luke had said when they were leaving Naboo, they were a team. His relationship with Luke was the most precious thing in his life now, and while he could never make up for the years they had lost, he now wanted desperately to be the father Luke had deserved to have.

At that moment Luke re-entered the cockpit with his breath mask already in place. He handed the other to his father, who fastened it on without allowing himself a moment's hesitation. Luke still seemed to understand how difficult it was for Anakin to wear a mask of any kind again. He was always quick to pick up on other people's feelings. Giving his father a sympathetic smile, he asked softly, "Ready, Father?"

"As I'll ever be," Anakin replied.

They headed for the hatchway. As they descended the ramp, one of the soldiers stepped forward and bowed curtly before them. "Masters, I have been authorized to escort you to President Doole's palace. If you'll come this way, we have speeders waiting." He led them to several parked landspeeders and climbed into one with the two Jedi while the rest of the group took the others.

/I haven't sensed any treachery from them, or excitement or fear or anything that might signal an attack. How about you?/ Luke sent to his father as the speeders drove quickly through the streets of Kessel.

/I haven't sensed anything, either, although I think that you're more empathetic than I am./ Anakin answered through the Force. /Still?/

/I know, I know. Be careful./ Luke gave him a smile.

/Smart alec. You've been around Han too long./ Despite his retort, Anakin couldn't hide his own grin.

The town-Luke didn't know its name-seemed deserted. As they drove past nearly identical buildings Luke could see no sign of any other beings exc

16. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    The slave rebellion of Kessel had begun.
    Whoa, wow. I so hope the New Republic task force shows up soon.

17. JediMasterKobe

JediMasterKobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Alright, I'm finally here. :) You all can relax. :D :p Thanks J_M_Bulldog for pointing out the sequel. You're the bestest! ;) A great read, this fic is. :) Expecting more, I am. Deliver a post soon, you will. :D

EDIT: I'm honored that you dedicated this fic to me and J_M_Bulldog. [face_blush]

18. JediMasterKobe

Apr 10, 2003
    Whoops, double post. [face_blush]

19. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    *reads* Wow, this is really good kristeh. All i can say is keep it up. :) I haven't read RTN though, i guess i should check that out...

20. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi, everyone,

Sorry, no new chapter this time, but it should be up by tomorrow or Monday. I just to say hello.

J_M_Bulldog: >Whoa, wow. I so hope the New Republic task force shows up soon.

Oh, they will. Eventually.

Thank you for being such a loyal reader! It means a lot to me to know you are enjoying the story.

JediMasterKobe: I'm so glad you're here! I had to dedicate the sequel to you and J_M_Bulldog. You guys have been so encouraging and faithful in giving feedback.

Darth_Elu: Welcome and thank you! I'm always glad to know someone likes the story.

Okay, I'll go now. The next chapter will be up in a day or two. Thanks again for responding.

Kristeh

21. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Oh, they will. Eventually.
    Oh, [face_devil]

Thank you for being such a loyal reader! It means a lot to me to know you are enjoying the story.
    [face_blush] *shuffles feet shyly* Your welcome. Thank you for a excellent story.

22. kristeh

May 24, 2003
    Hi, everyone,

J_M_Bulldog: You don't know how happy you've made me! I don't think my stories are excellent, by any means, but I have had fun writing them. Thank you again for your kind words.

Here's the next part. It's an action sequence, which is not my forte, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway.

Kristeh

The Lost Ones, part 6

Kessel.

Anakin didn't know what had happened. One moment he was quietly conversing with a Twi'lek slave, and the next everything was mass confusion.

He'd heard a shout, then suddenly the slaves were throwing down their drills and running every which direction. A group of guards ran past, shouting instructions, but Anakin couldn't tell if they were talking to the slaves or each other. For a moment he thought of Roon and wondered if it was a cave-in, but then he saw the green blade of Luke's lightsaber swing through the air in a soaring arc and knew it was trouble of another kind entirely.

He drew his own lightsaber and charged down the tunnel. Getting to Luke's side and protecting him was the only clear thought in his head, though as he approached he could see his son was doing all right on his own. Four guards were firing at him, but Luke easily parried each shot. Several slaves behind them were joining in by throwing rocks at the guards, but most of them cowered against the walls, looking on in bewildered disbelief. One elderly woman lay on the ground, moaning softly and feebly attempting to crawl out of the way. Anakin used the Force to gently set her over by the wall, then he threw his blade and neatly dissected the rifles.

Throwing down the remaining parts, the guards turned and took off down the shaft. One of the slaves-a Wookie-threw a fist-sized chunk of rock after them and hit one of the guards in the back. A few slaves gave a ragged cheer.

Anakin looked at Luke and raised his eyebrows. "Did I miss the task force showing up?"

Luke looked embarrassed. "I'm sorry. The guard was beating her, and I just had to do something."

"Well, it's done now," Anakin glanced around at the slaves. "We need to decide on a course of action. Those guards will be coming back with reinforcements, I'm sure."

The Wookie slave grabbed Luke's arm and barked urgently. Luke had been around Chewbacca long enough to usually understand the gist of Wookie speech though he couldn't make a word for word translation like 3PO could. It was harder to understand a strange Wookie. He didn't know if they spoke a different dialect or if his ears had just grown accustomed to Chewie's individual speech patterns, but he did get enough to have a sudden glimmer of hope.

"Some of the slaves have been preparing for a rebellion themselves. He says they have a hidden cache of weapons in the slave quarters, and they've dug out some hidden rooms for the more vulnerable slaves to hide in."

"Where?" Anakin demanded.

They turned to their unexpected comrade, but the Wookie was already in action. He howled something Luke didn't catch, but the slaves apparently understood. They lined up, the stronger ones near the front brandishing their drills, and the others behind them. Anakin and Luke were touched to see that the slaves made certain to gather up the youngest ones, who were still only children, and to support the injured and sickly. Two young women and a boy carried the older woman Luke had saved.

They started off down the corridor. The Wookie spoke in low, tense tones, explaining that his name was Rallyroro-Rally for short- and that the weapons and secret rooms were located at the slave quarters. Anakin, Luke, Rally, and a few others were prepared for a fight, but to their surprise they reached their destination without any trouble. The slave quarters consisted of a large underground cavern crowded with hard, narrow cots and with several tunnels opening off of the main room.

"The guards could show up any time. Everyone, stay alert," Anakin warned.

Rally pushed on a section of wall and it slid open to reveal a long, low passage. He pulled out a box containing some old rifles a

23. JediMasterKobe

Apr 10, 2003
    :eek: Oh no! Don't hurt Anakin or Luke!

24. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    :eek: No. Please tell they are okay. Please, please. The task force shows up soon? [face-hopeful]

25. Viceroy Rook

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I haven't checked on fan-fics for awhile!

But I'm still loving this! I really like how those introspective scenes and glimpses into Anakin's past mesh the plots of the flicks and all together with your own; my English 10 teacher was always telling us about coherence, and while I'm no expert, I dare say this story has it in spades!
    And your action scenes are better than you seem to think... and as you established in Return to Naboo, you're good with those cliffhangers, too ;).

So without further ado... up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.