Before The Lost Temple (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon) - Completed 21 February

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sabe126, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Sabe126 Jedi Master

star 4
    Title ? The Lost Temple
    Rating ? PG13
    Genre - Adventure.
    Spoilers: Spoilers for The Phantom Menace.

Summary ? Two years before the events of the Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are sent to the planet of Anobis after the discovery of the ruins of an ancient Jedi Temple. For a thousand years the secrets of the Jedi have remained hidden?

Trailer - The Lost Temple

Disclaimer: The Star Wars universe belongs to George Lucas. This fic is for entertainment purposes only.

--------------------------------------------

Part 1

?Are you the Jedi Holy man??

Qui-Gon stopped at the bottom of the ramp, blinking into the strong sunlight as he tried to locate the speaker. Smiling, he answered, ?Jedi yes, Holy man no.?

?The other Jedi said that he would send someone. I just assumed.? A young woman emerged from the shadow of the Nubian cruiser. ?We didn?t think it was right to move the remains.?

?Other Jedi?? Qui-Gon asked as she approached.

?Master Sifo-Dyas. The Professor spoke to him.?

?I?m Qui-Gon Jinn.? His smile froze for a moment as she reached him.

?Marissa Carney. Professor Milovy is up at the site.?

?Thank you.? Qui-Gon recovered his composure. ? My apprentice is still on board. Will you tell him where I?ve gone, please??

She nodded. ?I?ve got to get some equipment from the ship, I?ll wait for him.?

Leaving the clearing behind Qui-Gon climbed the hill towards the site. A series of tremors had uncovered what was thought to be the ruins of a Jedi Temple. The effects of these, Qui-Gon noted, as he climbed over a fallen tree.

The Governor of the main trading post on Anobis had contacted the Council after the ship sent out to assess the damage had reported its findings. The Council had thought it worth investigating and had asked Professor Nial Milovy, an archaeologist from Nubia to go to Anobis. Before leaving, Mace had confided in him that the Professor; although not the most eminent Jedi authority in the galaxy, had in the past carried out several missions for the Council and could be trusted.

Qui-Gon smiled as he remembered Obi-Wan?s comments. There was nothing to suggest that it was connected to the Jedi and that one set of ruins looked much like another. What was it that he had said on entering the planet?s atmosphere? ?I have a bad feeling about this.? Qui-Gon did not know how much this related to Obi-Wan?s thinking it was a waste of time or to what was awaiting them. Stopping to look back towards the clearing Qui-Gon shook his head. He was mistaken, what he had seen was merely a trick of the light.

--------------------------------------------

After reporting their arrival to the Council, Obi-Wan headed for the ramp. As he had told his Master, there were many similar Jedi outposts scattered throughout the galaxy, the discovery of another one on some Outer Rim planet was nothing new. Sighing, he started down the ramp, there was no sign of Qui-Gon but a woman was?

?Hold on.?

?What?? At that moment a tremor shook the clearing. Recovering her balance, she looked at him curiously as he joined her.

?I?ve never met real life Jedi before.?

?You make me sound like an exhibit.? Obi-Wan laughed.

?Sorry, I didn?t mean to.?

?Obi-Wan Kenobi.?

?I?m Marissa Carney. Master Jinn asked me to wait for you, he?s up at the site.?

?Thank you.?

They climbed the hill; Obi-Wan seeing she was still embarrassed broke the silence, ?How long have you known the Professor??

?All my life, he?s my guardian,? she explained.

?Are you just helping out here??

Marissa shook her head; ?I graduated with a degree in Archaeology from Theed University last year.?

?Sorry.?

She smiled, ?I?ve been interested in this since I was a child. I spent most of last year working on Yavin 4, then when one of the Professor?s assistants left I joined the team.?

Obi-Wan looked around as they approached the top of the hill, he could only sense Qui-Gon and the Professor. ?Wher
  2. Sabe126 Jedi Master

star 4
    Part 2

?Yes,? Qui-Gon said quietly, ?I did.?

The Professor nodded slowly. Turning away from the Jedi he walked off across the site towards a marked out section of ground. Qui-Gon followed him.

?Aftershocks, they seem to occur on a daily basis but that was the strongest so far. I am in contact with the Governor, he is monitoring the situation for us and?? Qui-Gon waited for him to continue. ?Obi-Wan Kenobi.? Milovy stopped and faced him. ?Master Jinn, Marissa does not know. There was no point telling her about her only living relative when she would never be able to meet him.?

Qui-Gon nodded, ?So I was right??

?Yes. What are you going to do??

?Nothing for the moment.? Both men turned as Marissa and Obi-Wan approached.

?Professor, this is Obi-Wan Kenobi.?

?Professor Milovy,? they shook hands.

?Was there any damage?? Marissa asked, handing him the scanner.

?I was just about to look. Can you check the ruins while I show Master Jinn the remains please??

Qui-Gon has been listening to the exchange in silence. He looked from Obi-Wan to Marissa, there was no real resemblance apart from the eyes; it had not been a trick of the light he realised.

?What evidence have you that connects this with the Jedi, Professor?? Obi-Wan asked.

?It?s only a fragment but it?s enough.?

Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon noted with a smile still looked sceptical. ?Why don?t you go with Marissa, Obi-Wan??

?Yes, Master.?

Professor Milovy watched them head for the only visible evidence of the Temple, the remains of a stone wall. ?I haven?t seen him since he was a few months old. I had forgotten.?

---------------------------------

?I looked at the history of Anobis before coming here, there is a legend about a Jedi Temple.? Marissa had not missed Obi-Wan?s expression.

?That?s just it, it?s a legend.?

?There might be some truth in it.?

Obi-Wan shrugged and changed the subject.

?What were you doing on Yavin??

?Excavating part of a Massassi outpost.?

?That must have been interesting.?

Marissa smiled, ?Not really, there are many located throughout the jungle. Have you been there?? Obi-Wan shook his head. ?If you do, go the Temple.?

Obi-Wan resisted the urge to roll his eyes, another Temple! ?Why, what?s there??

?The inside walls are covered with carvings representing the constellations, the night sky on Yavin is so clear you can see them.?

?Were the Massassi correct??

She looked at him quickly.

?I am interested,? he reassured her with a grin.

?Yes, they were but recently discovered carvings show that the Massassi were more advanced than was previously thought. The Temple is around fifteen thousand years old and some of the carvings date back ten thousand years. The Temple seems to be a map of the galaxy.?

?Anything that interesting here??

?No, not so far.?

They reached the ruined wall. ?This is all the evidence of a building we have but the Professor thinks that it was originally the outer wall, running parallel to the woods and out as far as the markers.?

Obi-Wan looked where she pointed, to where Qui-Gon and Milovy stood, ?Is that where you found the remains??

Marissa nodded. ?Now you are here we can run some tests, find out how old they are.?

?So what is this fragment you found??

?The Professor showed it to Master Sifo-Dyas. He found it here; it?s a fragment of a stone tablet. You see the earth is lower here,? she jumped down, ?we think that this might have been some sort of storage chamber.?

Obi-Wan followed and knelt down beside her. ?This is where it was found,? she told him, removing the protective cover.

Obi-Wan looked at the stone fragment, ?What does it say??

?It?s Anzatian. It translates ?Jedi and the army of the Republic defeat...?

Obi-Wan shook his head, ? The Republic doesn?t have an army.?

?There hasn?t been an army since the Republic was formed. Maybe it means the Jedi are the army of the Republic??

?How does this link to the Jedi? Its just history.?

?Master Sifo-Dyas thought it was enough to al
  3. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm ready for a new posty. :)
  4. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is really interesting! I like the idea of a forgotten jedi temple. Hope you have more soon! :)
  5. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    :::Large moving van backs-up to Sabe's story, then proceeds to dump out comfy chairs and a popcorn machine on wheels:::

"Hey!" Knight-Ander shouts out to the driver. "Where's the soda machine?"

Oops, wait a minute, I'm the driver! :p

Oh well, I'll go get that and come right back to find my usual spot sitting patiently waiting for more story, popcorn bowl in hand. :D Be right back.

:::Knight-Ander drives off whistling the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme.:::
  6. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Ah-ha I found you over here.
  7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Here you went...Republic Army :D sorry just watched AOTC today

MORE!!
  8. ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master

star 4
    KA Got any Vanilla Coke in that soda machine? Pulls comfy bean bag chair over into the thread, grabs a handful of KA's popcorn and opens gallon of Death By Ewan ice cream! [face_love]

Great post Sabe! So Marissa and Obi Wan are related? Interesting.....Obi doesn't seem to be to awfully keen on history.
    New postie soon?
  9. Sabe126 Jedi Master

star 4
    Jacen200015 - I'm ready for a new posty - Am half way through it, hope to have it posted by Thursday evening.

Jemmiah - This is really interesting! I like the idea of a forgotten jedi temple - I'm glad and welcome! :)

KA - I'll go get that and come right back to find my usual spot sitting patiently waiting for more story, popcorn bowl in hand. - LOL! Thanks KA! I knew I could rely on you to provide refrshments and comfy chairs! :) Do, di, do , do, do, di, do etc!

Padawan Kitara - Ah-ha I found you over here - Excellent! :)

AJK - More coming up.

FAB - Glad to see that you have made yourself comfortable! - Marissa and Obi Wan are related? - Yes and how will be revealed in the post after next.-Obi doesn't seem to be to awfully keen on history - No and isn't going to enjoy this mission very much. Pass the ice cream! :)

Better make that friday - Darth Real Life is a pain at the moment!

10. MYSTIC_KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    I like this story. Very much actually. I want to see some more, please. :D

11. Lieutenant_Page Jedi Master

star 4
    THis is great so far! More please!
  12. MYSTIC_KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    UP.

Rats, I was wondering why there wasn't an update today, then I noticed your edit saying you'll get it up tomorrow. Well, see you then, Sabe. :)
  14. ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master

star 4
    Passes ice cream and gets comfy for new post!
  15. EXTURNUM Jedi Padawan

yeh i agrees wit u, that was a good story.
  16. Sabe126 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mystic Knight, Lieutenant Page and Exturnum - Welcome, I'm glad that you like it so far :)

Thanks for the ups. Sorry the next instalment is so short but it has been a very long and busy week.

-------------------------------------------

Part 3

Nightfall was swift on Anobis. Obi-Wan had watched the shadows lengthen as the Professor worked. It was a slow process but by late afternoon he had uncovered more of the remains. Despite his cynicism Obi-Wan had to admit that he was finding the whole process fascinating. The preliminary scan had dated the remains at around one thousand standard years. With Qui-Gon?s permission the Professor had removed a sample from one of the bones for more detailed analysis.

Nial smiled to himself, he had noted the young Jedi?s interest. He would have to tell Marissa that she had been wrong. Kenobi?s indifference had gradually eroded away and when the Professor had asked for his assistance he had been quick to give it.

As he worked to secure the site in the encroaching darkness Obi-Wan found himself wondering who?s resting place had been disturbed by the tremor. If the Council agreed to more tests it would mean that they could be stuck on Anobis for a very long time. Master Yoda would probably want the entire site excavated. Obi-Wan rolled his eyes at the thought.

Nial had stopped work and was watching Kenobi. He had no real need to, the Jedi was a quick learner but it was not this that held his interest. When Obi-Wan had looked straight at him as they secured the coverings, he had had to look away. In his colouring and general appearance Obi-Wan resembled his father but it was Elise who looked back at him. As he gathered up the tools Nial realised that over the years he had grown used to seeing those eyes whenever Marissa looked at him but? With a start he realised that Obi-Wan was speaking to him.

?What do you expect to find Professor??

?I never assume what we might find. It will depend what the tests reveal.? He looked around the site. ?We?ve finished.?

As they descended the hill the only lights visible apart from those carried by himself and the Professor, were those from the ships, where Qui-Gon was contacting the Jedi Council and Marissa was running tests on the tablet fragment. Obi-Wan was sure that the Council would need a stronger link than a mention of Jedi history before they agreed to further investigation but then again it was on the strength of that tenuous connection that he and his Master had been sent to Anobis.

Qui-Gon stood in the clearing waiting for Obi-Wan and the Professor to return. He hoped that the Professor had not told Obi-Wan. Although what he might tell him, Qui-Gon did not know. Since their arrival that afternoon the Professor had made sure that Qui-Gon had not had the chance to ask him how he knew Obi-Wan. When Milovy was ready he would volunteer this information of his own accord. Until he knew the facts Qui-Gon saw no reason to mention it to the Council. Qui-Gon watched as Obi-Wan said goodnight to the Professor and approached.

?What do you think the Council will decide Master??

?I do not know Obi-Wan. We must be patient.?

Obi-Wan sighed as he followed Qui-Gon on board. This whole mission could turn out to be a waste of time.

?The pursuit of knowledge is never a waste Obi-Wan.?

17. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "The pursuit of knowledge is never a waste"

True words, very true. More soon Sabe! I wanna know what's up with the Professer guy!
  18. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    The pursuit of knowledge is never a waste

Too true.

Anyway...

Who's Elise? Obi-Wan's mom? And how well did Professor Nial know her, huh?

Guess I'll have to wait for answers, huh?

:::Takes up a spoon and digs into ice cream despite the Death by Ewan flavor:::

I'll wait. :D
  19. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm. Interesting how this Nial knows who Obi-Wan is. I guess that Elise was Obi's mother, maybe. Wonderful update, Sabe. :)
  20. ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master

star 4
    I concur with everyone else - that is a very true line!

It might have been a short post Sabe, but did it ever pack a punch - so who is Elise? Why do Marissa and Obi have samiliar eyes?

(In best Yoda voice............)
    Hmmmmmm.....meditate on this I will!
  21. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love a mystery! *grin* Now I'm not only wondering what the connection between the two might be, but how Qui-Gon will react when he finds out! :)
  22. Lieutenant_Page Jedi Master

star 4

That's true..but it sure can be frustrating :p

MORE~!
  23. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    As a former history major, I concur that pursuit of knowledge is important. But boy can it be boring! (unless you have a handsome padawan around for distraction)
  24. MYSTIC_KNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    This is getting mysterious. Now I only want to know more.
  25. Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.