main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lucasfilm Story Group: Questions and Answers/Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So maybe start by showing the Battle of Crait as viewed from the Imperial Remaint?
    Discover the First Order was their version of Leia's Resistance, but properly funded.
    Snoke a former Adept in service to the Emperor uses the Emperor's Messengers to eventually usurp power from the Imperial version of the Senate kidnapping and brainwashing their kids.
    Things seem hopeless as first they learn about Kylo Ren whose revealed as Ben Solo, Han Solo's death is seen as heroic by them because he tried to get his son back something elements in the Remaint actually look upon with awe.
    Then Snoke is killed as word reaches them of the Rogue Stormtrooper who escapes certain death even as Kylo ascends the throne.
    Kylo isn't Snoke it's now the Remaint sees their chance and attempts to contact Princess Leia to offer their aid...
    Would that work?

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    How do you intend to glue the flashback with the opening crawl?

Satipo likes this.
  3. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Have the crawl happen after to let it sink in!
    Nope can't see them even considering doing that having their bad guys have hidden depths!

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This is something that needs to be fixed IMO. The opening crawl must be (let's say for historical reasons) the first thing you see in the movie right after the GFFA phrase. This is the problem I also have for flashbacks in SW. But you might introduce a character who tell it as a story maybe. I don't know [:D]

5. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Although moving the crawl to the middle or end of the film would subvert expectations and therefore be clever and cool film making :)

I would consider that the opening crawl, the no dialogue final scene, Artoo and Threepio are immutable. There's other stuff that wouldn't be a worry for a treatment, like JW or the wipes etc.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    When writing a treatment think of it as a road map, you begin your story as if it's a journey and you show the basic route to the end of the journey. You don't have to put in details and dialogue unless they are pivotal to the story, most treatments are a basic synopsis of the story with new characters getting a short description outside the plot.

Satipo and 3sm1r like this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Subverting the Crawl.
    I think you can change it up a bit, but it's a tricky, dangerous experiment.
    Your audience is pretty pedantic about such things.

Make is shorter? Make it more personal and less "The State Of The Galaxy"?

This is the game. How can you surprise people without stepping too far?

3sm1r likes this.
  8. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    By "respectful send off." do you mean Dark Leia is forbidden?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nothing is off limits unless it breaks one of the forum rules. :)

10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Wait, is this thread specifically for the Story Group?

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No. It's just meant to be a thread where you can get feedback on any idea you might have or if you need to ask a question about some piece of SW lore you aren't sure about. So it serves kind of the same function as the actual story group but it's for those who want to take part in the treatment contest.

12. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    LOL @Darth Chiznuk; you are in for a lot of reading. You might have been better off, if the contest was for writing the Opening Crawl only. :p

13. Andy Hong

Andy Hong Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2018
    Are most people here writing with a time skip between Ep 8 and Ep 9, on the assumption the Republic has fallen and the First Order has re-established the Empire? Because that isn't the direction I'm taking.

One query from "http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Military_Disarmament_Act" (the bolding is mine) "Democracy is not in need of defense. People are. And it's why we'll keep the ten percent. A peacekeeping force. The rest of our efforts will go toward training the militaries of other worlds. We will be a true Galactic alliance, and not a false one with an authoritarian sun at its center."

Is everyone going with the idea that the Republic only had one fleet and it was completely destroyed at Hosnian? Did the Republic have any other fleets? Does anyone have any idea how large the planetary militaries and starfleets of the member worlds of the Republic are? These would not normally count as part of the Republic military, but it would be interesting to know the relative strengths of the Republic military (pre and post Hosnian), First Order military and the individual member worlds of the Republic.

Also: would be interesting if a number of worlds had bought large numbers of Mon Calamari liners with (wink wink) NO intention of converting them into warships in case of an emergency....:p:D (innocent face).

14. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Okay, I think I'm in. It's not like I don't already have ten billion things to do, what's one more thing?

3sm1r likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I might push back the deadline to give everyone some more time. I've already received a few but I'm hoping for more.

C'mon, folks, don't let me down!

16. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    I'll be adding to the pile. Got my overall story, the crawl and several key scenes mapped out. Just some stuff to flesh out, but there's one key thing I've yet to decide for a particular character.

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I thought the crawl was not needed. Is it?

18. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    I don't know, but it's fun to write!

3sm1r likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's not needed. You can add one if you want though.

20. Andy Hong

Andy Hong Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2018
    This makes me optimistic that mine will win (less competition)! :):D

21. Little Ray Sunshine

Little Ray Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

May 2, 2016
    Come on, we still have month right? I am half done with mine...I assure you it will be completed on scheduled.

22. Charlemagne Thax

Charlemagne Thax Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2017
    My treatment is still a work in progress but should be finished before the deadline. The ending is haphazardly finished and the first third of the treatment is coming together somewhat smoothly. Something that I'm finding some difficulty with is keeping the story centered on Rey. She was on her own most of TLJ and I'm making a effort to keep her with the others this time but it is becoming kind of difficult.

Ben obviously has a interesting focus that I think most will enjoy and I'm making sure Finn gets a good arc for this last film but surprisingly, Poe has become my favorite character to focus on. Hopefully I'm able to bring it across well in the treatment but I will say that Leia being gone has actually been fantastic for his character in that the weight of the whole war is now directly put on him to deal with. Before, it was him who was going out to blow stuff up but now he has to rely on other's to fight the fight as he gives the orders and that instinctively, makes him very uncomfortable.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do Rey that isn't too similar to Luke's hero journey but at the same time satisfying for all of us who have enjoyed her character for these last few years. One thing I want to continue from the previous films is that the hero is faced with with a similar choice as their predecessor that led to their failure and they choose the opposite and find their success in the conclusion. We'll see where it all goes!

23. Storm_Cloud

Jan 13, 2016
    Story is all mapped out, except for the very end - I want to see where it goes before I commit. I'm done with the first act, all written out from basic ideas in a couple of days so well on the way to completing on time. It's looking like it'll finish with 20 pages at the moment, so the red pen will have to come out!

24. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    A couple of questions;
    Firstly, I have only just noticed this thread in the last few days and will be going away in a couple of days time. With building a house (I know - excuses, excuses), I don't have a lot of time to write pages for a treatment. Will a basic overview of some scenes do? I've typed something out (around 2 pages of a basic overview) and I'd really like to be able to submit something.

Secondly. how do you PM someone? I've never actually done this before in here.

If someone could answer these questions, that will be greatly appreciated.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely! Send it my way.

To PM someone you just click on their profile then click the button that says "start a conversation". Hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.