main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Luddites Awaken

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ganger, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    I hadn't even considered how the marketing campaign might backfire. I was thinking that they seem to be trying to sell the film on what it's not and what Star Wars has already done. Instead of putting the emphasis on what the film is and the new places it is going to take Star Wars.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    New isn't always the best focal point. Familiarity can help anchor those you want to give a new story a chance particularly if said individual has any prior exposure to the franchise. I think they're doing fine so far (with the content I've seen) in conveying a SW feel while making it clear this is a new era pertaining to the new 'leads'.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'd like some characters I can care about in a story that means something to them .

then I'd like some awe-inspiring images . and some truly inventive and exciting action set-pieces .

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because that's the genius of the marketing staff for this movie. There's a certain built-in revenue stream from fans who like the movies. All of them. Including the prequels. Add to that the revenue stream of "generic" fans who will turn out in droves to see the latest summer spectacle. In other words, whether you like it or not, this movie will make money hand over fist just by virtue of it being a Star Wars movie. There's little need to spend advertising dollars targeting them specifically; they're already screaming "shut up and take my money!"

That leaves those OT fans who, for whatever reason, despise the prequels, wailing and moaning about this, that, or the other. It's like that article title says "Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars." Regardless of whether or not the concerns about the PT vs. OT are factually accurate, the marketing spin is saying "Whatever you liked about the OT? We're that. Whatever you didn't like about the PT? We're not that."

They're targeting the demographic that might otherwise say "nuh-uh" and stay home. Everybody else is already on lock.

Xinau, TK327, thejeditraitor and 8 others like this.
  5. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    That's a good way to put it, Jedi Merkurian. If the marketing were reversed ("Whatever you liked about the PT? We're that. Whatever you didn't like about the OT? We're not that."), I might not see the movie until I could check it out for free from my local library. As it is, I plan on seeing it on a Tuesday, which is discount day at my local theater ($5 any movie, any showing).

At this point my only real hope is that TFA doesn't bore me. I like what Roger Ebert wrote in his review of Basic Instinct 2: "It's a lot of things, but boring is not one of them. I cannot recommend the movie, but ... why the hell can't I? Just because it's godawful? What kind of reason is that for staying away from a movie? Godawful and boring, that would be a reason."

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    thank god someone else gets it. i've been saying this over and over...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This, I think, also addresses the concern of some that TFA will be a mere nostalgia-fest, a fawning love letter to OT fanboys/fangirls, or whatever other pejorative you wanna use. I don't think that TFA will actually be those things, simply that it has been marketed as such.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think that is exactly it.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That's ignoring plot spoilers suggesting the story is sort of an ANH rehash with all the place and character names starting with a letter shifted over one place in the alphabet. Muke Tywalker. Doruscant. That kind of thing. It's also possible that the production at its core comes from a place of PT hatred, awash in OT nostalgia. As much as I dislike the prequels, I don't necessarily think that's the right approach. The evidence that it's just the marketing is not good.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, the things folks know about fandoms are pretty great. I'm always learning and Star Wars is so vast. People are pretty awesome in their knowledge and occasionally funny.

but if you want anal / OCD, go to any Mac / Apple board, just as passionate, snarky, wonderful and sarcastic as it can get in here.

Even though I am not a fan of many Star Wars things, I try to respect those fans who do like what I do not.

11. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Lol, just read this thread for the first time. This forum really does have a strong bias against anyone who dares to criticize Lucas or the prequels. It's just people voicing their opinion about some movies they paid to see. It's really nothing to be concerned about. There is no way this thread would have been allowed to stay open if the OP had called prequel fans luddites. Seems name calling is permitted here, so long as you are a prequel apologist.

Jabbadabbado and lovelikewinter like this.
  12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

For your edification: The person who started this thread despises the Prequels. And, that's OK. Because he doesn't derail threads with offtopic commentary on it.

vw_jedi, Rabs, Valairy Scot and 2 others like this.
  14. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    He is? The original post doesn't come across that way.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    do you read?

Rabs and Dra--- like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. he is. He just happens to not be an immature a-hole about it.

Let's get back on topic.

Rabs likes this.
  17. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Charming.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So... The Luddites. A planet of Space Monks that rejects and all things Computerised, such as Droids and CGI.

They spend their days reciting old stories they were taught as children and acting them out with crude puppets.

Luke'sSeveredHand, Sarge and Ganger like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Have you been spying on me?

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Cedric T Sealion I don't know how you got that impression, I thought I was quite clear on my stance. Also, the way people have been conducting themselves here is a clear example of the opposite of "prequel apologists" as you say.

Since I don't want to pursue further thread derailment, I wanted to shore some of my thoughts these past few days. On sunday I watched every bit of official footage in a row (with big screen, 1080p, killer sound, etc.). I noticed several things that make this movie feel close to the OT and NOT because of practical effects.

The shot were Finn takes Rey's hand is very Spielbergian (is that a word?). A carefully planned shot without dialogue, kind of funny, that actually tells a lot. That's probably an important moment, where this guy actually decides to trust this desert tomboy. His expression is great too. It's just good, straightforward, economic film making.

The falcon shots with Rey are going to look amazing.

I like how the aliens look. They don't look like cheap cartoon characters, but like a more believable version of the type of aliens we saw at the Mos Eisley Cantina. I'm not talking about the practical or digital element, just the design.

I think the film cast and crew were really happy to be there. Isaac talks about their energy and how that will probably translate on film. I believe it's geniune. Even if people don't like the film, it feels like everybody put their heart into it.

21. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    We kept it straight! It's all there, aint it? Everything marked, everything 'membered!

Sarge and Rabs like this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

Sarge likes this.
  23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well I love all the films (so far) and I'm certainly not "on a lock" to go and see TFA by any means.

They certainly shouldn't ever take their core audience for granted.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Well, I like the prequels despite some minor issues.

25. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    For me simply being Star Wars is enough familiarity to anchor me in.
    Every star wars film has built upon what came before it,the scope, the technology usage of the Force.
    The current marketing feels like they are trying to resell me what I've already bought,instead of offering me the next step in the SW processes.
    Until they start putting the emphasis on the new I won't be boarding the marketing hype train.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.