main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Maestro Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    From The Timothy Zahn Facebook Chat

Timothy Zahn: "If there are to be more books, and if LFL/Del Rey/Disney decide to let me write some of them, I have a trilogy project to pitch where the third book would also be the third book of the Hand of Judgment series (Allegiance and Choices of One). Again, I don't know if that will happen."

Timothy Zahn: "A Fel or Chiss novel would be fun. As a matter of fact, the trilogy I mentioned above (which I'll pitch if I'm invited to do another book) would have one book heavily involving Thrawn and the Chiss. (The middle book, btw, would feature Mara being sent to stop an assassination...against Vader. Imagine the fun they would *both* have with *that* assignment.) The proposed series title is The Maestro Trilogy, if anyone wants to star nagging Del Rey. (No, seriously, *don't* nag. Just ask politely...)"

So a series about Thrawn and the Chiss... With Mara Jade and Vader...

Sounds like a spiritual prequel to The Thrawn Trilogy...

Cronal, Zorrixor and CeiranHarmony like this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not sure how thrilled I am with the idea of Mara essentially becoming Vader's bodyguard, but I'd still like to see it. Hell, we have a comic coming soon showing Vader has absolutely no problem handling assassins :p

Still, some Vader and Mara interaction could be fun.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    While it's good to hear he's back to thinking in terms of trilogies instead of standalones, I'd just as soon he moved on from the OT era.

Speaking of the FB chat, he also mentioned that Scoundrels is the first chronological appearance of Winter and Kell, which is another way of saying he doesn't read the comics.

Darth_Martus and kataja like this.
  4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Would love for this to literally be the lead in to the Thrawn Trilogy...
    Vader and the Noghiri...
    Mara dealing with both...
    Thrawn with the Chiss and Thrawn with the Empire
    Since Mara is being dispatched, I am guessing the Emperor is still alive, maybe have it lead all the way up until Episode 6, with Mara just leaving the Death Star with the kill Luke Skywalker orders before Vader and Luke arrive.

Ideally, I would like it set between 5/6 for the final book, with the first one being set around time of 4 and second one being set around time of 5, which makes for a kind of this is what Thrawn was doing during the OT series...

With the title Maestro, I can't help but wonder if all the Imperial victories weren't commander by Thrawn in the shadows, Palps is good with trickery but not combat, and Vader is great on the battle field but not as a field commander.

Though it would be tough for Vader to have to compete with both Xixor and Thrawn for his boss's attention...

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    True, well Winter is a bit of a blank slate. It is not as if we were dealing with some PT EU character with hours of back story. You could read into her as this is Winter, she is part of the alliance and Leia's friend and security...

Think Khaleen Hentz being included...

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She appears in the A C Crispin Han Solo trilogy- set before ANH.

rumsmuggler and krtmd like this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the point of the matter is you don't need to know who Winter is to enjoy the story, all you need to know is what the author tells you about the character. However Winter and Kell were shout outs to the EU fan, I am just happy they were included.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But seriously, let's discuss Maestro... I think it has a lot of potential

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Which comic did Kell appear in? As far as I know, this is his first appearance. Winter, on the other hand, appeared in one of the Last of the Jedi books and briefly in Rebel Dawn (find it kind odd that Zahn missed that one, since he referenced it extensively in Scoundrels, going as far as to directly quote from it in one part).

I'd cut some Zahn some slack though on the Agent of the Empire appearance though, since that one just came out. I didn't even know about it (I'm a shameless trade waiter usually).

On Maestro, my guess is that it's set before ANH.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    He's right about Kell as far as I know. I was specifically thinking of Winter in Princess Leia Diaries and Agent of the Empire.

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I've been hoping for years that someone would write a trilogy that's nothing but Darth Vader sucking unimaginably at everything he does. Having a teenage girl for his bodyguard sounds like a good start.

Tinwe, MistrX, RC-1991 and 9 others like this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    More Mara and Thrawn before ROTJ and thus outside whatever Death Star the ST might launch on Post-ROTJ is good with me, especially with this mention of a Fel novel.

13. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Personally, I would rather the Ben Skywalker/Final Thrawn sequel to the Hand of Thrawn Duology, rather than another story set during the OT. As it is, it doesn't seem, at least from the little we have, to be entirely a full trilogy like TTT, but more a spiritual-theme type trilogy.

14. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I want future fics, not the retreads. We already know what happened to Luke, Leia, Han, Vader, Mara, 3PO, R2, Lando, etc at 0 to 45 ABY. We need the future, not the past!

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's not like you can blame Zahn for not wanting to write in the Legacy era, considering it's current state [face_sigh]

But I'm perfectly fine with Zahn continuing to write in the OT era; the whole "we already know what happens to these people" argument doesn't make much sense to me, considering this is tie-in fiction to begin with. By its very nature, we already know what happens to the major players. The whole point is to tell interesting stories set in an established world. If Zahn has more interesting stories in him about the OT era, I say go for it. It's not like being at the end of the timeline gives your story any more merit.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think we can forgive Zahn for not knowing about The Princess Leia Diaries, Coop. ;) And AOTE is extremely recent, an easy miss.

Even WInter's appearance in Rebel Dawn is so miniscule that it's also easy to miss. This isn't James Luceno we're talking about.

As for the so-called Maestro Trilogy, I'd dig it if it had Fel and Chiss.

Reaper63 likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

instantdeath likes this.
  18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Nonetheless, I was very impressed with Zahn's use of continuity in Scoundrels, both as parts of the plot (the inclusion of Kell and Black Sun, ample use of the Han Solo trilogy backstory and the Ylesia comic) and name drops (he actually referenced the guy from the fairly obscure Star Wars Adventure comic).

19. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I dig Chiss, just not Fel.
    At least not the male Fels. If only Wynessa were here.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But if the novel isn't about Luke, Han and Leia but about other characters entirely like Fel, Thrawn, and the Chiss, how can that be bad?

Wouldn't you love to have insight of what Thrawn thought of the first and second Death Stars, or Fel's insight on whatever...

I'm not the Soontir Fel expert but wasn't he with the Empire for a while after RotJ, only leaving for the Chiss later?

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd argue she is an Antilles.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    And obviously, how could she not be overshadowed by Bria the Great?

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Why are we talking Winter, when we have something as EPIC as the Maestro Trilogy on the possible future Horizon.
    I must say that posting your synopsis/pitch to your adoring fans on the official Star Wars Books Facebook page is a giant, "Hey Del Rey, this is what I want to do. Now I told my fans and they want it, so we have to do it now. Plus you know, I am Timothy Zahn, I will deliver a good book :D"

buylesslivemore likes this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

I'd rather have a Puddy Trilogy.

25. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    The Maestro Trilogy has a lot of potential, though I think there are some things that need to be trimmed out. Don't mind seeing Mara in one of the proposed books, but her being Vader's bodyguard? That's a bit much for me. Maybe the third book, assuming it'll star the Hand of Judgment, could tie in with the TIE fighter game, with the Hand of Judgment doing their part to help Thrawn take down Zaarin's faction. This, in turn, could open the door to have Maarek Stele be a prominent figure in the story.