main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Maestro Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Is Mara going to read Vader bedtime stories too? This isn't the babysitter's club.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    No we are going to get the creepy line of Vader looked at the young red head, she was attractive, her personality reminded Vader of Padme. She was interesting to him. Vader said, "Are you an angel? They live on the moons of Iego I think." And the reader is like AHHHHH Vader is hitting on his unknown son's future wife!

Or they could go the classy way, Mara was young enough to be Vader's daughter but she stood here protecting him. If Padme's children had been conceived, he would have wanted a son to marry a woman like this Mara...

LOL Vader gives his approval to the marriage!

cdgodin, Zorkel567, Cronal and 2 others like this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Nothing about this proposed trilogy really grabs my interest. I would much rather that Zahn use his talents in an entirely new era, free of Thrawn, Mara, and Karrde. Maybe he could write in the many decades between FOTJ and Legacy. I just think he underestimates how most fans have moved on from his core characters.

--Adm. Nick

Darth_Martus and rumsmuggler like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In contrast, I have almost no interest in a novel set after FOTJ because I just don't trust DR to do it properly at this point. Let DH use that playground.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    If Zahn were to do something ambitious that involved both new characters and the surviving main characters in the post-FOTJ that was akin to the Thrawn Trilogy, I would be happy. The problem is that Zahn is simply too fixated on his own characters (Mara, Thrawn, Karrde), tends to make Vader look weak, and seems to constantly be inventing new species, worlds, and other settings instead of building upon what is already in the EU.

For me growing up as a kid, Zahn WAS the Expanded Universe. The Thrawn Trilogy and HoT duology were fantastic, but everything else since then by Zahn just hasn't been my cup of tea. [face_dunno]

--Adm. Nick

Danzo and Darth_Martus like this.
  6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I, uh, actually enjoyed Allegiance. Though it definitely benefited from the noticeable lack of Thrawn.

kataja likes this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree, however Outbound Flight was pretty good. Survivor's Quest, not so much... Needless to say I think Zahn could write an awesome Imperial Fel and the first Chiss moff.

Or even a Jag centric book with Ashik as his "Chewie"

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Zahn's portrayal of the Imperial Court leaves much to be desired. On the other hand, he's the only author to portray them at all these days...

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree with this but actually think HoT was worse than Survivors/Outbound Flight. It was basically a love letter to his characters,while pretty much sticking it to every other author in Bantam not named Stackpole. Vader was 3rd in line behind Thrawn and Mara in replacement for another of his OC's. While every story he writes Vader from SideTrip through to Alligance/Choices of one he hammers the reader over the head that Vader just does not hold a candle to Thrawn and Mara.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I liked Choices of One as well. Han was great in that book.

Manisphere, Zorrixor and krtmd like this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Shame on you ;)

But seriously it's awful for many reasons not just because it's a personal love letter to Mara.
    Zahn rips off scene's from his own previous works, While a story of pirates ... leading to more pirates is basically a mountain laboring and bringing forth a mouse.
    While Vader going on google and Leia as waitress I could do with out.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Are you saying there's some thing wrong with writing a love letter to your creations?
    And ripping off scenes from your own work seemed perfectly all right to me.

fett 4 likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I liked it least because of that self-same reason, tbh. Nothing. Actually. Gorram. Happened.

Survivor's Quest comes next in the 'dislike' list, mind you.

Is anyone else curious as to how Zahn is publically lobbying for more Star Wars? That's mildly new.

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think if you can get your character in more than one time period aside from Post RotJ it is safe... He got Mara mostly in Allegiance and Choices, so now Thrawn needs cemented into the EU aside from the Post RotJ period.

Jorus C'baoth appeared during the Clone Wars, so he is safe.

And I think wanting more Star Wars isn't terrible. It is a welcomed change.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No he didn't the character made no sense with what had been presented before or even what was being presented in those two books.
    And no he doesn't. After reading the short stories of Thrawn which were dull (The Nuso Esva especially) and having Thrawn set up Hoth and warn about the Ewoks I'd rather he stay away.

"I have a trilogy project to pitch where the third book would also be the third book of the Hand of Judgment series (Allegiance and Choices of One). Again, I don't know if that will happen."

Timothy Zahn: "A Fel or Chiss novel would be fun. As a matter of fact, the trilogy I mentioned above (which I'll pitch if I'm invited to do another book) would have one book heavily involving Thrawn and the Chiss. "

That's not a Stawars book but merely his own Universe with a Stawars label slapped on it. No once cares about what happens in Chiss space or what his Stormtroopers get up to in Chiss space.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No one? I've wanted a novel about the Chiss Ascendancy for years, so I care.

17. buylesslivemore

buylesslivemore Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    i think its great that hes so interested in telling the story that hes actually bringing it to the fans themselves, certianly not a first, but nonetheless its always nice to see they "care"

im all for new zahns books, OT retread or post ROTJ illuminating...tho hes had some books far better than his others hes a damn fine SW author

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    IIRC, he also publically lobbied for a chance to work on the Sequel Trilogy. Granted in a somewhat joking manner, but there is no doubt that he would be interested to write it.

--Adm. Nick

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd rather he continue to flesh out his corner of the universe than regurgitate things that have already been done.

Cronal, Zorrixor and RC-1991 like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Agreed. The Empire of the Hand is a collossal loose end, even if defunct.

Cronal and Zorrixor like this.
  21. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think one won't find any shortage in people caring about what happens in Chiss space and stories set there...

22. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Its a piss-poor bullying tactic and unprofessional.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    "Bullying"? o_O

24. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Put yourself in DR's position.

Say they get bombarded by hundreds or thousands of calls, facebook posts, emails, texts, letters, etc.

That's not a PR annoyance, bullying, problem?

(Pure speculation) Perhaps they didn't want to incorporate Zahn into their future plans, perhaps they don't like the idea of his novels, and they already had novels planned for that timeframe, time period, or money wasn't appropriated for Zahn (who I imagine levels a higher request for amount than say Schreiber or Grubb).

Should/does DR cave in and let Zahn write the novels? Or do they "deny fans what they want" as Zahn could later then claim if they deny him his request/idea.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Companies like Del Ray get bombarded with inane requests all the time through facebook and twitter, though. It's not like anything's going to be firebombed, and I find it pretty funny to think that a multi-million dollar corporation can be bullied by people on facebook.

As for what Zahn's doing, I just see it as using social media; I like it that an author can interact with their fans, give them some ideas on what they're planning, and instantly receive payback from the people that will eventually choose to support it. There's something that Chris Avellone said (about game design, but it can easily apply) that one of the dumbest things about game design is the secrecy involved. You're not allowed to discuss or preview your product without express permission of the company; with the whole Project Eternity, the hope is that you can do away with most of the executive crap and make a game collaboratively with your community of fans.

So that was a bit of a tangent. It's not exactly the same, of course, but I do feel the days of the mysterious and unknowable author are mostly gone (disregarding some people like Thomas Pynchon). At least as far as genre fiction goes. As far as I'm concerned, yay for authors communicating with their fans.

Zorrixor likes this.