main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Maestro Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Where is his blaster anyway.He used one in ANH and In ESB he still carries one and the way it's in his hand and pointing at the mere sound of Yoda shows he fast and know's how to use it. Yet somehow it's gone.

Now you don't have to have him as a battle scarred Veteran that he is in ESB, Yet by then he is in charge of his own fighter squadron and is competently leading them and seems to have a good partnership with Dak. Is the Luke in Choices or Allegiance even building to that character. Is he even in a fighter squadron ?

kataja likes this.
  2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    In CoO it's actually indirectly stated that Luke hasn't killed a man in man-to-man fight - only from a fighter. This 9 months into his time in the Rebellion! What about the stormtroopers he shoot on the DS? Or the officer he pulls away from the control table in the detetion area, lke was he a misplaced bag of potatoes? Now, I like the idea that Luke would stop to reflect on death and killing, I really do. I also think it's fine he's start to stop and think in general at some point - but to show him completely green when he does this just isn't right - and takes part of the point away too. In general, I don't buy that Luke would be very doubtful at this time of his life. He's impulsive and reckless in ANH - and he is that still in ESB - why would he suddenly stop in 6-9 ABY and doubt to an extent he becomes unable to act?

fett 4 likes this.
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    In ESB he's reckless in regards to his Jedi training and how he thinks how powerful he is which makes him think he can rescue his friends. Which view is promptly destroyed when Vader pretty much owns him. But that aside is very competent and knows how to handle himself. He also has anger issues as don't forget Vader is the guy who murdered his father, which he is bound to have.

Now if I was gonna be baiting, I would say it's cause a competent Luke would detract from Zahn's Stormies and Mara basically owning everything, same way Thrawn and Mara pretty much make Vader look a fool too.

windu4 likes this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I would absolutely love a Mara-Vader book. Every time they interact it sends little tingles up my spine and I want to yell "HA-HA YOU TWO ARE GOING TO BE IN-LAWS." And then I laugh. :)

cthugha, Force Smuggler and kataja like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "If I was baiting I'd say this" seems like a cop out.

Either bait, or don't bait- but don't bait and pretend you're not.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Ok it's a bait

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Now- is the hypothesis- that Zahn is doing everything possible to make his characters look good- correct?

Might be interesting to look at track record.

Does Thrawn make less mistakes in Outbound Flight than in any Thrawn Trilogy book?
    Does Mara make less mistakes in Allegiance and Choices of One than in the Hand of Thrawn duology- and less mistakes in the Hand of Thrawn duology than the Thrawn trilogy?

If it really stands out- then a case could be made that they're undergoing a Sue-ification process.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Actually is specific to both Luke and Vader. In OF I actually don't have a problem with Thrawn in that book and thought he was well written. It's more the HoT and SideTrip and Choices

Mara it's Alliegence and Choices as well as the comic Night on the Town Zahn did.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn's not in HoT- all we have is people's word for it what he did. Do you mean Outbound Flight?

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yes about Outbound Flight.

I know Thrawns not technically in it. But it's basically about Saint Thrawn who knows and anticipates everything (like you say even though he is dead) and who everyone seems scared off. Including both Han (who all but wets his pants) and Lando who both buy the whole imposter scenario hook line and sinker.

The scene where Parck tells Mara how Thrawn antcipated the Imp's relocating to Bastion 10 years after his death [face_phbbbbt]

Also the scene where apparently Palpatines 3 most important people were Mara,Thrawn and Vader
    That and the whole ridicolus Mara was never on the Darkside guff which I hated and felt Zahn was runining his own charachter their, with Zahn pretty much presenting it as fact not just POV.

That's just my opinion anyway.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that, according to Outbound Flight, Doriana doesn't even (yet) know Palpatine's Sidious, and shows no Force skills, General skills, or Assassin skills- I find myself suspecting that Parck was feeding Mara a line- and Mara was gullible enough to accept.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    HoT was written before OF and I think that Zahn's original intention was Parck speaking the truth, but had to change it after Palpatine in the Prequels came out.

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, it is a fact. Mara wasn't "on the dark side." She used it, sure, and served it. But Mara wasn't taught to be a Jedi or a Sith; she was taught to be an assassin and use all the tools in her arsenal, which in her case included the Force. The best description of her is from the By the Emperor's Hand comic, when Palpatine called her "an experiment."

Unless you have a completely different explanation for "on the dark side" than I do. I interpret "on the dark side" as someone who is deep in the philosophy of the Sith or other dark side teachings. Mara was never written as such. She never adhered to dark side teachings.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    So she used and served it and was an Assassin (people who murder for a living) for the most evil man in the galaxy but wasn't on the darkside o_O

That comic idea was awful (so was the actual comic anyway) and never really made sense (nether did the other comic either) unless trying to give an out for the character.

She doesn't have to think she is doing evil and feel she is doing good, that's not the problem. Lucas says the same of Vader, he doesn't think he is evil or doing evil, but to say she is not committing evil or helping it is absurd. Zahn had a great character and arc with Mara, he didn't need to ruin it with this schlock which goes against the whole ethos of the force.

15. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Has there been any new news about this trilogy?