main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA "The Making Of Star Wars" Book Signing - Sat. May 5

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    When I first heard of the signing, I called several bookstores and asked for the hardcover version. One couldn't find it in their database, another said it would come out later, and one said they hadn't ordered it. Weird.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Usually the point of a book signing is to sell books at the store. So I really hope the book store actually stocks some hard cover books for this event. I think the best thing to do is call the book store holding the event. But I'm waiting to see if I hear back from Amazon customer service to see if they'll arrange to waive the shipping and give me a new book in time.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    A few months before this book came out an E-Book was published by Michael Kaminsky, AKA Zombie84 on boards of TFN, originaltrilogy.com, and outerrimseiges.com. It is called The Secret History of Star Wars and is and exhaustive research into the origins of the original trilogy from the first inceptions to what finally made it to screen. Culled from a vast well of available sources a clear picture of what the original versions of thjese films emerge. It's raised a few hackles among saga fans, but the research is well cited and annotated. It runs ovcer 400 pages of pure text, so it's a heavy read. I had to pint it out and get it bound at Staples since it's too much to read on a screen. But it's an excellent book that serves as a companion piece to Rinzler's Making of Star Wars. Neither of these books really refute each other too in the recounting of the evolution of the story and scripts.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/ the book is a PDF file. Also under the articles section of the site is a long extensive comparison of just how much Kurosawa's style influenced Lucas. No surprise that this is a fairly long section since Zombie himself is a Cameraman and cinematographer.

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I sent them an e-mail, I should get a new one today. Hopefully it will be packaged better and not dropped by the delivery person.

5. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Amazon delivered mine today. Now I have to find a clear protective cover for it. The ones I use for my other hardcover books are short width-wise by about 2 inches. :(

6. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I ordered mine as a roll that can be custom cut. It worked out better for me as I still have yet to cover my ILM book and my Monster House one. I can give you the link to the eBay seller that I got mine from. They are pretty inexpensive compared to buying sheet by sheet like at Stacy's.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, I wouldn't call Stacy's expensive ($2 for two covers). Actually, they're made by Brodart, which Steve Sansweet uses for his books. :)

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    true, and Brodart makes the best archival cover, but I unfortunately the covers they have in stock are too short for the book. :(

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Haha, I got my second one today and it is dog eared on the corners of the book too! I guess my UPS guy just likes to drop books :( I give up, I hope the book store will have this in stock Saturday - but now I have to pay cover price just to have an undamaged book.

I really have been so lazy, I have to get covers for all my books. Many have gotten slight damage already.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Maybe you could buy a good one at the store and return the bad one? [face_whistling]

I think I'll bring my Amazon receipt, just in case they think I stole it! [face_worried]

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Uh, yeah. That's what I said. But I lose $ that way because the store price will be higher than what Amazon offered. Amazon has to take the books back because they are damaged. That isn't a problem.

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Costco doesn't have this book, do they? Because they give you back your money with no questions asked, books, CDs and DVDs.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    No they don't carry it. :(

14. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Book Passage isn't very big store. They just may not believe people will spend $75 for a book.

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I've been asked where to get archive covers for the book as the standard one sold at Stacy's won't fit. I used a very good ebay seller who sells a wide variety and ships using priority mail at http://stores.ebay.com/Pages-LLC_W0QQsspagenameZL2222QQtZkm You can buy sheets, or by rolls that you can cut to fit.

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Robert! I'm going to order a bunch of covers - it's an action item that's been long overdue for my poor books :(

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Wow! After the signing, I have 20 less lbs. to bring with me to CIV. Sorry, Eva. :(

18. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Pics:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery/jrinzler

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    The SFFF photos (taken by Robert and Kathy) have been added to the SF Fan Force web site.

PHOTOS: RINZLER BOOK SIGNING

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.