main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MasterKazur, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacen-Qel-Droma

Jacen-Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    I always liked The Man Of Steeland i don´t see him spacially weaker in this film,just more human:I agree with dp4m in the suttle subjet.Is coming down in terminal speed despite in STM
    in which he only has to add his super speed to the airplain.Aside from that I´d like to say that when he stops the coach in S2 his boots seem to slip over the floor...

2. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    i don´t see him spacially weaker in this film,just more human:

That is weaker, my friend.

I agree with dp4m in the suttle subjet.Is coming down in terminal speed despite in STM
    in which he only has to add his super speed to the airplain.

Thats odd, because in this very moment I'm actually watching the scene in Superman: the Movie.
    :) The plane, has indeed begun to crash towards the ground. Fast!
    The two planes are equal in size (roughly) and both are speeding towards the ground, yet the Superman from "the movie" stops it much easier that the Superman from "returns".

Aside from that I´d like to say that when he stops the coach in S2 his boots seem to slip over the floor...

Thats excactly right :).
    But I must say I don't really get what you're trying to say.
    I think that both dp4m and myself agreed that he wasn't trying to stop the bus dead on, but rather slow it down to insure that the people in the bus wouldn't be hurt.

And I think that about wraps up this whole plane subject don't you guys? :)
    What do you guys think of my Comic book version of Superman?

3. Fandomar

Fandomar Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2004
    The superman in this movie was more balanced comparing to the Christopher Reeve movie and I would give him maybe 16 on intelligence because in the mayfair games it states that superman has 11 that,s a lot Batman has 12 and it,s considered as having an intelect on par with an indivdual who is the best autorithy of a subject in the world Lex for example has 14 and he can understand concepts who is considered beyond from what is normally exprienced on earth and he can understand concepts centurys beyond current conventions besides Superman also has the power (in the game sustem) to recall nearly everything he has seen or hear.

4. Jacen-Qel-Droma

Jacen-Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    Anyway you have to count on the fact that in the films they are free to determine his powers upon the drama.I mean;he could be in trouble with the shuttle and 100 mins later be strong enough to lift a whole continent.What I mean is that the powers aren´t ruled but for a bunch of scripters who look for a good story to tell.Despite the comics it seems hard to be equalized with his powers.

What i mean with "the floor is slippy in S2" subjet,is that even if Hulk tryes to stop the coach on a wet floor enough, he´ll slip over it despite all his strengh. He just wouldn´t be able to keep his potition or go back some meters to deaccelerate that coach.He´d just slip over the floor.

5. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    When I watched the movie, I actually thought it wouldn't have been that difficult for him, normally, and that he nearly died because he was lifting it with kryptonite in him.

I like the comic book version, Kazur, though his strength still seems off, even if you're using John Byrne's revamp as a basis. (He could still lift millions of tons in Byrne's rewrite, as I recall.)

6. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Superman also has the power (in the game sustem) to recall nearly everything he has seen or hear.

Excactly. Thats why i gave him the perfect memory feat.

What i mean with "the floor is slippy in S2" subjet,is that even if Hulk tryes to stop the coach on a wet floor enough, he´ll slip over it despite all his strengh. He just wouldn´t be able to keep his potition or go back some meters to deaccelerate that coach.He´d just slip over the floor.

But Superman can fly, so if he wanted to actually stop the bus right away, he could have levitated at stopped it dead on. But he wasn't trying to stop it. He was trying to slow it down. But I see what you mean, and I agree.

I mean;he could be in trouble with the shuttle and 100 mins later be strong enough to lift a whole continent.

Yes, thats right. Because he wasn't giving his all when he was trying to stop the plane. That would have destoyed the plane as is evident with the wing incident.
    He was absolutely giving his all when lifting the continent. It was something that simply had to be done!
    My point is in all this is that Superman can't lift continents and stuff like that without breaking a sweat. It's not something he does all the time and it should be a challenge for him to do so. He should be able to do "normal" Superman things fairly easy, but his strength score shouldn't cover lifting something that heavy. It's something that requires Force Points to do IMO.

When I watched the movie, I actually thought it wouldn't have been that difficult for him, normally, and that he nearly died because he was lifting it with kryptonite in him.

That was definately a factor too, you're right. But a man, super or not, can pass out from over-exhaustion or too much strain. I don't think it would have been easy for him, one way or the other to lift that continent though :D.

I like the comic book version, Kazur, though his strength still seems off, even if you're using John Byrne's revamp as a basis. (He could still lift millions of tons in Byrne's rewrite, as I recall.

I remember a while back it was debated wether or not the John Byrne Superman was even in the Class 100 Strength level. I for one, think he is :)
    And the Comic book Superman I made, can with effort, lift over 1 million tons.
    The way his Super Strength work is that, when he uses a Force Point and rolls a total of 6 for example, that would give him 30 more to his lifting strengths (each point worth 5 ranks), a +6 bonus to his grapple checks and a +6 bonus to strength for breaking items.
    A lifting strength of 120 would enable him to lift 1 million tons as his absolute maximum.
    Anything over 120... well, you get the picture.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "In Superman Returns he moves the Kryptonia Continent, something that weighs far less, and it nearly kills him."

You mean that big continent chock full o' kryptonite? o_O

8. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    You mean that big continent chock full o' kryptonite?

Yep. But it wasn't made of kryptonite! :)
    And Superman has to be roughly within 2 meter of Kryptonite to be affected.

9. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, I guess I just, simply, disagree, then. The fact that he was able to lift it at all, with a piece of kryptonite stuck in him, and with the entire island dotted with the stuff tells me he could've done it quite easily if you eliminate those factors.

Yeah, and his average roll with a Force Point would be 10, so his maximum would be, roughly, 16 million tons. :D

The reason I mentioned it, though, is because in one of DC's directory guides, Who's Who, didn't they say that Byrne's Superman could lift the Great Pyramid easily? What I mean is that he'd need to use a FP to do it, which doesn't say a casual effort to me, but putting everything you've got into it. But I suppose it could just as well mean IF he went all out, he could do it easily. :)

Well, nevermind, then; it's all good. ;)

Now, what would you suggest for a pre-crisis Superman, and how would flying into the sun effect his power? ;)

10. Fandomar

Fandomar Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2004
    I mean;he could be in trouble with the shuttle and 100 mins later be strong enough to lift a whole continent.
    In the DC HEROES RPG THERE IS A TERM CALLED hERO POINTS WHICH ARE MORE FIT for action like these you can have a lot of those and you can use it to raise your character stats. well seing the magic weakness should the force (beacuase we,re talking about the Star Wars system) should affect Superman like if it were magic? because there,s not magic in Star Wars what the Star Wars think of magic is translated in another use of the force diferrent than the Jedi or Sith

11. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Well, I guess I just, simply, disagree, then. The fact that he was able to lift it at all, with a piece of kryptonite stuck in him, and with the entire island dotted with the stuff tells me he could've done it quite easily if you eliminate those factors.

Okay. This is most likely due to the fact that he uses a Force point to regain his powers while in contact with kryptonite, I don't know.
    It is a well known fact that Superman loses his powers when in conctact with kryptonite. So either he "puts everything he's got into the lift" (in game terms uses a Force Point to shrug off the effects of the Kryptonite) or this is a big mistake from the Director's side (which I doubt). But yes we disagree that the Returns Superman could have lifted the Continent easily.
    I say no way :). He could lift it. But not easily.

Yeah, and his average roll with a Force Point would be 10, so his maximum would be, roughly, 16 million tons.

The reason I mentioned it, though, is because in one of DC's directory guides, Who's Who, didn't they say that Byrne's Superman could lift the Great Pyramid easily? What I mean is that he'd need to use a FP to do it, which doesn't say a casual effort to me, but putting everything you've got into it. But I suppose it could just as well mean IF he went all out, he could do it easily.

Precisely :D.
    What I think that particular phrase means is that if Superman gives it his all (Force point), then he could lift the pyramid fairly easily, meaning it wouldn't be a heavy or maximum load for him.

Well, nevermind, then; it's all good.

Now, what would you suggest for a pre-crisis Superman, and how would flying into the sun effect his power?

I was actually thinking about writing up a Pre-Crisis Superman, for you guys :)
    I will get to work on it tonight.
    He could lift the continent easily, Blithe.

12. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Kazur, I think we both messed up on our calculations for his maximum lifting capacity. Check again, if you will, but I'm unless I'm just an idiot, I'm seeing numbers in the hundreds of millions for Str 120 and 130. [face_blush] :oops:

EDIT: 209,715,200 tons for Str 120.

13. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Kazur, I think we both messed up on our calculations for his maximum lifting capacity. Check again, if you will, but I'm unless I'm just an idiot, I'm seeing numbers in the hundreds of millions for Str 120 and 130.

EDIT: 209,715,200 tons for Str 120.

You're not an idiot, it's really hard to calculate.
    120:
    Heavy Load = 400 thousand tons
    Maximum Load = 1 million tons

130:
    Heavy Load = 1.6 million tons
    Maximum Load = 4 million tons

If his average Force Point result was 10, then he would have a lifting strenght of 140 (resgular 90 + enhanced 50), which would be:

Heavy Load = 6.4 million tons
    Maximum Load = 16 million tons

So we were right :D

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, to me playing a super-hero game was more fun if you were playing one you made up for yourself, rather than a stock character like Spider-man or Black Canary. Really, all you needed those character's stats for was if the GM was putting in a cameo appearance, or as a comparison for how powerful your own character was.[face_thinking] :-B
    Given that the comic characters are normally having far more adventures than you will adventure sessions, they will constantly be advancing at a greater rate than publishers can keep up with. Especially Marvel characters, since that company likes to completely re-write their history every 5-8 years anyway. They usually also have a spin-off universe every 5-10 years too, which always fails because they put their lower-end artists and story-writers on it, and wonder why the books don't sell. (Anyone remember New Universe? or [face_skull]Strikeforce: Morituri?:cool: or Impact!?):-B [face_hypnotized]

So far, I've never managed to get into a good super-hero game. Not for lack of trying, but it usually seemed that either the GM or the Players (or both) weren't really up to it.

15. Fandomar

Fandomar Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2004
    besides Superheroes rpg has stats and rules for nearly all we ha,ve seen on the comics (with a few exeptions) we have more rules and thnigs like feats for our beloved Star Wars rpg because the characters are weaker than the superheroes and the DC Heroes or marvel had also source of information and adventures for superheroes

16. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Hmm...

For Strength scores not listed, determine the carrying capacity this way: Find the Strength score between 20 and 29 that has the same ones digit as the creatures Strength score. Multiply the figures by four if the creatures Strength is in the 30s, 16 if it's in the 40s, 64 if it's in the 50s, and so on. - RCRB, pg. 127

Continuing that pattern, would it not be...

256 in the 60s, 1024 in the 70s, 4096 in the 80s, 16,384 in the 90s, 65,536 in 100s, 262,144 in the 110s, and 1,048,576 in 120s?

Which would mean:

Str 20, 200 kg; Str 120 = 200kg x 1,048,576 = 209,715,200

...right? :confused:

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    By the way, rereading my previous post, I just want to make one thing clear: I'm not trying to belittle the work you're doing. I was only pointing out a problem that I've run into within my experience gaming.

Last time I tried to do this, someone got very upset with me. Seems my experience fencing would be like taking the Inquisition and the Rule of Franco, and calling it the History of Spain.:rolleyes:

18. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Hmm...

For Strength scores not listed, determine the carrying capacity this way: Find the Strength score between 20 and 29 that has the same ones digit as the creatures Strength score. Multiply the figures by four if the creatures Strength is in the 30s, 16 if it's in the 40s, 64 if it's in the 50s, and so on. - RCRB, pg. 127

Continuing that pattern, would it not be...

256 in the 60s, 1024 in the 70s, 4096 in the 80s, 16,384 in the 90s, 65,536 in 100s, 262,144 in the 110s, and 1,048,576 in 120s?

Which would mean:

Str 20, 200 kg; Str 120 = 200kg x 1,048,576 = 209,715,200

...right?

Wrong :)
    The Core Rulebook for Mutants & Masterminds have the same lifting scores as the Star Wars RCRB, exept it continues to 150 rather than 29.
    Thats how I got it.

Well, to me playing a super-hero game was more fun if you were playing one you made up for yourself, rather than a stock character like Spider-man or Black Canary. Really, all you needed those character's stats for was if the GM was putting in a cameo appearance, or as a comparison for how powerful your own character was.

I completely agree.

So far, I've never managed to get into a good super-hero game. Not for lack of trying, but it usually seemed that either the GM or the Players (or both) weren't really up to it.

It's funny you should say that, because me and my players have the same "problem" if you will.
    :)
    They made their own really cool heroes in the Mutants & Mastermind game, but after 3 sessions we realized that it just wasn't as rewarding as Star Wars.
    So we just ended up spending the second half of the 3rd session by duelling against eachother using the stats for the major heroes and villains in the comic book world :D

19. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Oh, I see.

Well... err, yeah: I was right all along, then! :p

And what are still doing here anyway? Run along, now. Get to work Pre-Crisis Superman! [Jolee]Shoo, shoo![/Jolee]

:p

20. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    [face_laugh] Just a few more hours now...

21. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    [image=http://www.thekryptonian.com/images/costumes/1971.jpg]

Superman: Male Kryptonian Fringer 2/Scout 3/Noble 15; Init +22 (Dex); Defense 43 (+11 class, +22 Dex); DR 55; Spd 70.000 km, flight 70.000 km; VP/WP 669/70; Atk +39/+34/+29 melee (1d3+30, unarmed) or +31/+26/+21 ranged (8d8, heat-vision); SQ Bonus class skill (Bluff), barter, trailblazing, heart +1, favor +4, inspire greatness, resource access, coordinate +3, invulnerability, heat-vision, speed, super-senses, x-ray vision, super-strength, hyper-breath, immunity, weakness; SV Fort +40, Ref +33, Will +26; SZ M; FP 5; DSP 0; Rep +7; Str 70, Dex 55, Con 70, Int 38, Wis 36, Cha 22.
    Equipment: Costume and cape.
    Skill: Bluff +19, Computer Use +15, Diplomacy +18, Gather Information +12, Handle Animal +10, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (bureaucracy) +19, Knowledge (history) +19, Knowledge (technology) +20, Listen +21, Pilot +24, Profession (farmer) +16, Profession (journalist) +24, Read/Write All Existing Languages, Speak All Existing Languages, Search +21, Sense Motive +22, Spot +21, Treat Injury +16.
    Feats: Contact, Fame, Influence, Iron Will, Perfect Memory, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Ranged Disarm, Sharp-Eyed, Trustworthy, Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, blaster rifles, primitive weapons, simple weapons), Zero-G Training.

Special Qualities: Invulnerability - - Superman?s dense Kryptonian body provides him with a damage reduction of 55.

Heat-Vision - - Superman can emit his body's stores of solar radiation through his eyes causing 8d8 damage.

Speed - - Superman is able to defy gravity and fly at 170 million km/h (2.7 million squares/action) in atmosphere and 25 times the speed of light in space. His running speed is 170 million km/h (70.000 km/action).

Super-Senses - - When Superman makes Listen or Spot checks the DC for the check is at +1 per 100 billion kilometers from him, rather than the usual 4 meters. His super-hearing enables him to hear ultrasonic signals and high and low frequencies and his super-sight enables him to see microscopic details about anything.

X-Ray Vision - - Superman can see through solid objects (except lead) as if they weren?t there. He can make Search and Spot checks through walls, doors ect. The DC for his Spot checks is still modified by distance.

Super-Strength - - Superman has a Strength of 420 for purposes of lifting objects and a +70 bonus to his Grappling checks and Strengths checks for purposes of breaking items.

Hyper-Breath - - Superman can exhale a powerful blast of air, making a Strength check to trip targets within 100 meters of his position.

Immunity - - Superman does not age, and he can does not need to breath oxygen to survive. Hence he can survive in outher space without the aid of a breathing aparatus.

Weakness - - Kryptonite - - Exposure to Kryptonite causes Superman?s cells to deteriorate, similar to radiation poisoning in a human being. Kryptonite causes Superman to lose all of his powers and his Ability Scores are as follows: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15 (VP/WP 109/15), Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 22.
    Every round of exposure Superman must make a Fortitude save DC 18. The damage on a successful save is a 1d2 drain on his Constitution and a 1d3 drain on his Strength. The damage on a failed save is a 1d6 drain on his Constitution, a 1d4 drain on his Strength and a 1d2 drain on his Charisma. This effect will eventually kill Superman when his Constitution score drops to 0.
    Removal of the Kryptonite returns Superman?s powers and enables his body to regain lost Ability Points at a rate of one per round.

Magic - - Magical attacks directly effect Superman ignoring his invulnerabilities. Against Magic attacks Superman loses his damage reduction.

:eek:
    I don't even know what to say here!
    Exept DON'T use Pre-Crisis Superman in a campaign!
    Nobody exept maybe 100 people in the galaxy can hit him, and even if they do no weapon will hurt him.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Maybe that's why they went to Hero-clicks and the other miniatures games? Things like the quasi-action figures? Because they couldn't make a good RPG, so they decided to do Warhammer strategy game?:confused: [face_thinking]

23. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    MasterKazur: Truth be told, your recent Pre-Crisis Superman stats is perhaps the most accurate representation of Superman to date, regardless of era or interpretation.

24. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Thats not really accurate :)
    These stats dont match up at all with the John Byrne Superman or the original golden age Superman... or the Superman Returns Superman.
    The Chris Reeve Superman... maybe in some ways.
    I do however feel they are fairly accurate to the Pre-Crisis Supes.
    The comic book version he have today, is not nearly as powerful.
    Any Superman fan would agree.

But anyway, I'm really glad you like them Darth_Mark-22. :)

25. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Superman has never been completely consistent in any of the mediums he's presented in. It would be more accurate to say that he is as strong, as fast, as invulnerable, and as affected to kryptonite as the plot dictates. That's the nature of mythology.

For example, I believe someone said that Kryptonnite robs Superman of his powers. For the most part, that's not the case. I've read a few stories where Superman can still function at superhuman levels, though he is still severely weakened by exposure to Kryptonite. A good example of this inconsistency is that he is rendered powerless when confronting Lex Luthor on the Kryptonite continent, and yet later on is still capable of heaving it into outer space despite the fact that the entire continent consists mostly of (if not entirely of) Kryptonite.

I would also like to clarify that he does not nearly die from overexhaustion ... he nearly dies from overexposure to Kryptonite.

Back to the subject of inconsistency, the same can be said about his powers. In some cases he has trouble lifting an airplane; in others he can move entire planets without much effort. In some cases he can outrun bullets; in others he can move faster than the speed of light.

I've even read in the series All-Star Superman that Superman's lifting capacity is within the quintillions of tons, rather than the mere hundreds or thousands.

Regardless, however, it is a general fact that he is one of the most powerful beings in the known (DC) universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.