The Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MasterKazur, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    He is probably as experienced, but that doesn't mean that he is as good.
    Age is really only a small factor in the total XP of a character :)
    And Wolverine hasn't really been fighting constantly all his life, like Anakin post Episode I has. A lot of his past has been spent living in the wild, hiding out ect.
    Granted he was trained a samurai and a CIA agent, but thats all really backstory.
    I mean Luke was a moisture farmer for 18 years, but he only has 2 levels at that point.
    Wolverine, likely, didn't even start to really pick up levels (in game terms) untill after he fought the Hulk and later joined the X-Men. In essence became a "Hero".
    Buttom line is that Wolverine just plain and simple isn't a level 20 :)
    I'm sorry, but you can't seriously belive that.:)

Anyway, I'll post my Wolvie stats soon.
  2. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    [image=http://www2.kwcinema.kataweb.it/xmen2/images/cast_2.jpg]

Wolverine: Male Mutant Scout 3/Soldier 8; Init +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initative); Defense 20 (+7 class, +3 Dex); DR 3; Spd 10 m; VP/WP 133/24; Atk +13/+8 melee (1d4+3, unarmed) or +14/+9 melee (1d8+3/19-20, claws) or +13/+8 ranged; SQ Rage, trailblazing, heart +1, adamantium skeleton, regeneration, claws, super-senses; SV Fort +15, Ref +7, Will +9; SZ M; FP 1; DSP 6; Rep +2; Str 16, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 8.
    Equipment: Leather jacket, dog tag.
    Skill: Climb +11, Handle Animal +6, Intimidate +7, Move Silently +11, Pilot +8, Read/Write Chinese, Read/Write Japanese, Sense Motive +13, Hide +11, Speak Chinese, Speak Japanese, Spot +13, Survival +13.
    Feats: Animal Affinity, Armor Proficiency (light), Cleave, Combat Vetaran (Survival), Extended Rage, Frightful Presence, Improved Critical (claws), Improved Initiative, Martial Arts, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (claws), Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, blaster rifles, heavy weapons, simple weapons, vibro weapons).

Special Qualities: Adamantium Skeleton - - Wolverine?s adamantium skeleton provides him with a damage reduction of 3, as well as a +4 bonus on opposed checks when he is being rushed or tripped. In addition it enhances Wolverine?s lifting strength to 20 and increses his own weight to 300 lbs.

Regeneration - - Wolverine automatically heals 20 vitality points and 14 wound points per round and recieves a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves to avoid being knocked out.

Claws - - Made from pure adamantium they ignore the damage reduction of physical armor and deal 1d8 damage.

Super-Senses - - When Wolverine makes Spot checks (using his scent) the DC for the check is at +1 per 10 meters from him, rather than the usual 4 meters. He also recieves the Track feat for free and ignores the penalties for moving full speed while tracking. He is also able to hear ultrasonic signals and high and low frequencies.

Ladies and gentlemen... The Wolverine!!!
    =D=
    Here is the meanest and baddest dude on the block.
    Wolverine is truely a great fighter. He could hold his own amongst the best Jedi knights in terms of pure skill but that healing factor of his gives an edge against just about anyone.
    His rage is the same as the Force and wookie rage, but his last longer because of the extended rage feat.
    I gave him a little bit of natural damage reduction because of his skeleton which will stop most unarmed attacks and some bullets... Blaster weapons are another story though.
    But he heals so damn fast that it doesn't matter anyway.
    You'll need to really lay it on him with volleys of shots if you wanna take him out. No holding back or he'll slice and dice you. :)
    With his skeleton Wolverine is also able to lift the human maximum of 800 lbs.
    His skills and feats are pretty dead-on I think, and I especially like his combat veteran feat.
    His claws are like miniature lightsabers because they ignore damage reduction to personal armor, and with his cleave feat and his Rage SQ activated he can take out entire mobs of goons at a time, relatively effortlessly.
    I also really like how his powers turned out. He is a very, very powerful level 11, and could hang with Qui-Gon and Episode III Obi-Wan easily.

I hope you can agree with me, NJOfan215 that Wolverine doesn't need to be a level 20 to be great or to be true to the character.
    I mean, you're Wolverine could take out the entire Jedi council and my Superman build. :D
    Thats just not Wolverine. In the total scheme of things in the comic book world Wolverine is slightly above average in terms of overall power. Which is what this build is.
    He is a devastating fighter and damn near impossible to harm but still realistic game-wise.
  3. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    CORRECTION:

This is a correction for my Superman Returns build.
    I figured out some errors with his maximum speed.

Replace his Speed special quality with this:

Speed - - Superman is able to defy gravity and fly at 1700 km/h (28 squares/action) in atmosphere and Cruising (12 squares/action) in space. His maximum running speed is also 1700 km/h (700 m/action).

Superman is now faster than anything conceivable inside the atmosphere
    and faster than just about all ships in space too. Only the fastest starfighters can outfly Superman when he moves all out. :)
  4. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think that's a good build for the movie wolverine.

I think our differences of opinion on this guy are based on two things, first what we've been reading, and second, you have more experiance as a player than i do.

In current comics, wolverine is beoming really much more powerfull then he was. In wolverine 43, he survied a nuclear blast, regenerated, then kicked the bleep out of namore, nitro, and 2 other atlantians. In wolverine origins 2-5, he fights nuke then captain america and takes them both down with out a lot of trouble. He was holding back when he was cap as well becasue he didn't want to kill him. In wolverine 23(?) he took out the thing and human tourch without a lot of effort.

All of the abilities that i've given him have been representative of thing that he has doen in the comics. Though there has been some confusion on how physicaly strong he is. I would probably lower his strenght now to 20.

here's where i got the info from
    http://www.marvel.com/universe/Wolverine_%28James_Howlett%29
    http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Wolverine_%28Logan_/_James_Howlett%29

I've only played a few times, it's difficult to find a gaming group around where i live so, you probably have a better read the power a character should have in game terms.

None the less, your superhero stats are creative and cool.
  5. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think that's a good build for the movie wolverine.

I was going for a mix of the movie Wolverine and the classical comic Wolverine but leaning more towards the comic version.

I think our differences of opinion on this guy are based on two things, first what we've been reading, and second, you have more experiance as a player than i do.

Yes, I haven't been reading the Wolverine comics lately thats true.
    Mostly because of what Kohii said, about changing the character so much all the time.
    My stat build for Wolverine is based on the Wolverine that has been most consistent throughout his history. The one fans of the character know.
    But I always GM my games :D, I never play a character which I really want to. Hehe.
    But the players in my game don't wanna Game mastering.

All of the abilities that i've given him have been representative of thing that he has doen in the comics. Though there has been some confusion on how physicaly strong he is. I would probably lower his strenght now to 20.

Hmm... I think I see your point.
    But I mean, your build is so insanely powerful that nothing in the universe could even challenge him. It's just too much. For one; his skills are way too high. No one would enjoy playing him (or against him) because he can do everything!
    I think that if you take a sec and re-evaluate your build, and maybe compare it to other characters, you'll see that it's just.... ehm "wrong" :)
    I mean you yourself said that you tend to overpower your builds. This is indeed one of those times.
    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but thats how I see it.

I've only played a few times, it's difficult to find a gaming group around where i live so, you probably have a better read the power a character should have in game terms.

I think this is true. Your builds are cool and you know alot about the characters but I think you just take it a step too far :).
    Even with his newly found memories Wolverine is just not a level 20. I know he's over 200 years old but Yaddle's age is over twice that and she's "only" a level 15.
    I could see him as a level 15 with his newly found memories though :D. If you took my build and increased his levels by 4, then he would more or less be capable of the feats you decribe. He would be a Monster with a capital M but he wouldn't be an unstoppable unbalanced character.

None the less, your superhero stats are creative and cool.

Right back at ya, my friend [:D].

6. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    don't see this as ganging up, but maybe one way of putting it is that with his insanely powered attribute scores and DR etc (i'd probably have had the DR higher myself, due to it being the strongest metal on earth etc :p), that's why he's so powerful, not becaumse of his massive experience. A lot of why he's so awesome, in the proper sense of the word, is because of who he is naturally, from birth, and because of his adamantium skeleton.

A bit like ROTS Anakin Skywalker, kicked so much butt because of his chosen one status, and not his experience level. :)
  7. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    Not feeling ganged up on. This is a discussion board so we are doing the right thing. I can live with level 15. I thought about it and even though he done a lot of fighting, he's been fighting a lot of low level people which probably wouldn't do a lot to raise his experiance. I think 15 is a good compromise. As fo his skills they were crazy. I knew that when i was making him, but it was difficullt to try to balance all the factors that you need to take into account when you try to make an NPC.
  8. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    i'd probably have had the DR higher myself, due to it being the strongest metal on earth

Yes but it only covers his skeleton. So many of his vital organs are not completely protected from harm, but I see your point.

can live with level 15. I thought about it and even though he done a lot of fighting, he's been fighting a lot of low level people which probably wouldn't do a lot to raise his experiance.

This is what I was thinking too. :)

As fo his skills they were crazy. I knew that when i was making him, but it was difficullt to try to balance all the factors that you need to take into account when you try to make an NPC.

I totally understand this. Skill points are easily the most difficult part of character making.

I'm glad we found a middle ground. Wolverine is a level 11 without his past memories and a leve 15 with. I think thats fairly accurate.
    And I hope you don't feel like I attacked your Wolvie build or anything, but I just felt (and as far as I understand now so do you) that some things were a bit off.
    I think you are a talented stat builder, and please keep 'em coming :)
  9. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Including an entire Ninja Clan (The Hand, not to be mistaken for TMNT "The Foot"[face_laugh]). While the flunkies wouldn't be worth much to him, the grand master beat the snot out of wolvie at least twice.:eek: He might have been worth more than pocket-change-xp. ;) Ah, the original miniseries...
  10. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    KAzur, i didn't feel attacked at all. Thanks for the complinet about being a talented builder.

Koohi, That arc with the hand was awesome.
  11. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    SUPERMAN, Last Son of Krypton
    [image=http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/94617__super_l.jpg]

Revised and Expanded

Superman: Male Kryptonian Fringer 2/Scout 3/Noble 10; Init +20 (+0 Dex, +20 natural); Defense 19 (+9 class, +0 Dex); DR 25; Spd 700 m, flight 700 m; VP/WP 204/30; Atk +11/+6 melee (1d8+16, unarmed) or +10/+5 ranged (4d8, heat-vision); SQ Bonus class skill (Bluff), barter, trailblazing, heart +1, favor +3, inspire confidence, resource access, coordinate +2, invulnerability, enhanced physique, heat-vision, flight, super-speed, leaping, super-senses, x-ray vision, super-strength, hyper-breath, immunity, absorption, power boost, resurrection, weaknesses; SV Fort +18, Ref +9, Will +14; SZ M; FP 5; DSP 0; Rep +6; Str 12 (42), Dex 10, Con 14 (30), Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 20.
    Equipment: Costume and cape.
    Skill: Bluff +10, Diplomacy +13, Gather Information +11, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (bureacracy) +7, Knowledge (world lore) +6, Listen +11, Pilot +2, Profession (farmer) +4, Profession (journalist) +11, Read/Write All Languages, Speak All Languages, Search +9, Sense Motive +9, Spot +7, Treat Injury +9.
    Feats: Endurance, Fame, Improved Grapple, Influence, Iron Will, Power Attack, Presice Shot, Starship Operations (space transports), Trustworthy, Weapon Group Proficiencies (blaster pistols, blaster rifles, primitive weapons, simple weapons), Zero-G Training.

Special Qualities: Invulnerability - - Superman?s dense Kryptonian body provides him with a damage reduction of 25. This protection is reflective so any melee damage that doesn?t surpass the damage reduction is automatically reflected back on the attacker.

Enhanced Physique - - Exposure to a yellow sun provide Superman with an unearthly physique. His Strength score is enhanced by 30 and this in turn affect his lifting strength, grapple checks and unarmed damage (but not his melee attack modifier). His Constitution is enhanced by 16 which directly affects his number of vitality and wound points as well as his Fortitude save.

Heat-Vision - - Superman can emit his body's stores of solar radiation through his eyes causing 4d8 damage.

Flight - - Superman is able to defy gravity and fly at 1700 km/h (7 squares/action) in atmosphere and Ramming (3 squares/action) in space.

Super-Speed - - Superman?s maximum running speed is 1700 km/h (700 m/action). He also recieves a +20 bonus to his initiative modifier and may use the benefits of the Whirlwind Attack feat. This includes a normal strike or a special action like trip or disarm. In addition Superman can preform ?take 20? tasks 50 times faster than a normal person.

Leaping - - Superman is able to leap great distances in a single bound. Multiply his jump distance by 250 to get his total distance jumped.

Super-Senses - - When Superman makes Listen or Spot checks the DC for the check is at +1 per 40 kilometers from him, rather than the usual 4 meters. His super-hearing also enables him to hear
    ultrasonic signals and high and low frequencies.

X-Ray Vision - - Superman can see through solid objects (except lead) as if they weren?t there. He can make Search and Spot checks through walls, doors ect. The DC for his Spot checks is still modified by distance.

Super-Strength - - Superman has a lifting-strength of 82 (heavy load: 1.200 tons) and a +8 bonus to his grapple checks and Strengths checks for purposes of breaking items. His unarmed damage die is also enhanced to 1d8, rather than the usual 1d3.

Hyper-Breath - - Superman can exhale a powerful blast of air, making a Strength check to trip targets within 55 meters of his position.

Immunity - - Superman has a great resistance to Heat, Cold, Disease, Corrosives, Toxins and Radiation.
    Therefor any kind of attack (natural or otherwise) that would require Superman to make a Fortitude
    save deals only half damage.

Absorption - - Superman can direct his body's stores of solar energy into h
  12. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
  13. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    WOW! He's powerfull and that is an amazing write up and build!
  14. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    :)
    Thanks alot guys.
    These are actually the stats that I'm most proud of, so I'm glad you like ém.
    Alot of time and thought went into them, and I feel they're about as accurate and playable as they come.
    If any of you use him in a campaign, I would love to know how it went. :D
  15. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Upping because Kazur is lazy!
  16. MasterKazur Jedi Knight

star 3
    What do you mean?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.