main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Mantrusian Affair OCs/Wedge/Luke/Han/Leia etc (Post-TaB) 6/7 Author's note

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Title: The Mantrusian Affair
    Author: Tahi
    Timeframe: post-RotJ, set after TaB
    Characters: OCs, Wedge Antilles, Luke, Han, Leia, Admiral Ackbar, General Madine, early Rogue Squadron
    Genre: Adventure/Romance/Mystery
    Keywords: Wedge, New Republic
    Summary: After Bakura, the New Republic is invited to a distant sector of the galaxy to help sort out a local problem that seems to involve Imperials.
    Notes: Continuation from Classic Board

I started this story on the Classic Board but have decided to continue it here. If you are a new reader and would like to read the first 14 chapters, follow this link.
    The Mantrusian Affair

I had a bit of trouble deciding which board to put this story on as it begins during the Saga and then carries on after it. As the bulk of the story occurs in a post-Saga time frame, however, I decided - after consulting Kit - that this is the best spot for it.

In case you're new - here's the preamble I posted at the start of the story in November.

The story that got me hooked into the EU was that first trilogy by Tim Zahn, but the books that really got me into writing were the Rogue Squadron series. This is a story that - like Topsy - just seemed to grow. I'm still typing up the later chapters. I wanted to fill in some of the gaps between Truce at Bakura and the early Rogue Squadron comics, and also to explore Luke's emotions after his brief relationship with Gaeriel. Another thing that interested me was Wedge's hesitation to further his relationship with Iella, leading him eventually to live with Qwi - who always seemed the wrong person for him - for a couple of years. War takes its toll on people, and encounters with others often affect the decisions we make. This story is me trying to come up with some answers to my wonderings.

I also thought it would be fun to invent a sector of the galaxy, peopled with my own planets and characters, and with its own history and legends.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a run on these boards. Hope you guys enjoy it. The main character is my own, but of course the others are GL's and Mike Stackpole's.

Author's Note:
    The action takes place in that distant arm of the galaxy that extends into the intergalactic void between Wild Space and the Tingel Arm. Like many of the other regions, this one has a long history which extends back into the early days of the Old Republic and probably beyond, a history filled with its own interplanetary intrigues and mysteries.

Being something of a pedantic linguist, I've included a few notes on pronunciation so that you can do justice to the Iicini'ians' rather beautiful native tongue. You shouldn't have any trouble with Mantrusian, as the vowels are formed similarly to ours.

Glossary:
    A double vowel is pronounced as a long open sound.
    Hence ii is pronounced as in I, aa as the "ay" in day, ee as the "ee" in week, oo as in oh, and uu as the word you.
    Two vowels separated by an apostrophe are pronounced as two short vowel sounds with the stress on the second. Hence Iicini'ia is pronounced: I see ni ee uh.
    The blends such as ei, au and ai are pronounced as diphthongs when they occur at the end of a word. Hence Atanei is pronounced: ah tuh neh, Tiirau is pronounced: tI raw, and Nerensai is pronounced: ne ren sI. When they are followed by other consonants, however, the final vowel is sounded and stressed, so Teiri is pronounced: teh eeri.
    I think you've got it. By Jove, you've got it!

Disclaimer:
    I wrote this story for my own enjoyment and wish to gain no filthy lucre from it. Luke, Leia, Han, Wedge, Wes, Admiral Ackbar, General Madine et al belong to George Lucas, may he live forever; and Tycho, Hobby, Plourr and most of the other pilots belong to Michael Stackpole, may he live forever and a day. The Iicini'ians, Mantrusians, Truin, three extra pilots and other assorted motleys are mine.

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Atanei stared sullenly at his chrono and ticked off the seconds with his gloved fingers on the thrust control of his A Wing. She was a stylish lady and he'd grown quite fond of her: she was sleek, speedy and lethal, and she bore the five TIE kills, acquired at Endor, painted on her gleaming flanks with pride. She was also predictable, and unlike a certain other sleek and speedy lady she responded as expected when he worked her controls.

He shrugged his shoulders up and down to shake off the tension. Ackbar had promised to make this engagement as realistic as possible, and it looked as though he was living up to that promise. The Rebel fleet was playing the aggressive role: they were the Imperials on a mission to wipe out a Rebel supply train, and the Iicini'ians were the train, supposedly in the act of preparing to leave the system. Simulated intelligence reports, fed to him through the computers, had placed the enemy as due to arrive outside the orbit of Cini #5 at some time in the next thirty minutes. That was the only information they had, but the size and conformation of the enemy fleet would doubtless be revealed shortly. Of one thing Atanei was sure, in fact he was counting on it. Rogue Squadron would definitely be involved.

"Reverting into real space in thirty seconds," Wedge ran his eyes over the navicom. "Prepare to launch on my mark, and remember we're the bad guys so we attack. Normal support protocols do not apply."

"In other words, give them hell," Wes translated cheerily to Tycho on their private channel, as he initiated his X Wing's warm-up sequence.

The two squadrons of X Wings and Y Wings were lodged in the hangar deck of the Mon Remonda. Admiral Ackbar had chosen to leave the Reliant at the I-M military space station as it was undergoing some repairs to its weapons systems. His counterpart in the Iicini'ian navy, Admiral Lusafi, had left with his battle group early. Instead of heading sunwards to the usual jump point, General Tavaala had ordered Lusafi to use the secondary jump zone between Ootacini?ia and its small neighbouring world. This allowed Lusafi to take his ships close enough to Mantrusian Port Control to make their presence felt. Ackbar had decided to adopt the flying wedge formation, running at the Rebel group and disgorging his fighters when within close range. It was a ploy he had countered on more occasions than he wished to remember. He had ordered his group to jump to the empty reaches of space between the Cini and Nantik systems, run a quick check to ensure that the simulators were correctly calibrated, and then jump back to engage Lusafi's 'supply train'.

The pilots inside their snubfighters felt the change from hyperspace as a slight jolt followed by an increased whine from the engines as they made the transition to sub-light mode. The bridge crew had a clear view of their intended target: the Fia Kalooan, an old refurbished Imperial dreadnought, was followed by three lightly armed Corellian freighters in triangular formation, behind which was a rearguard of four smaller gunships, three guarding the tails of the freighters and one riding shotgun. Each freighter was also protected by a flight of A Wings, each flight positioned so it covered its charge's weakest points. In theory the Rebels' main purpose was to protect their freighters, and ensure the precious supplies they carried reached their destination. Ackbar's aim was therefore to break through the defence shield and destroy them, a task which his powerful Mon Calamari Star Cruiser could probably have achieved with the minimum of help. However, as the real Rebels had proved again and again, probability carried little weight in battle. As if to prove the point, the defenders immediately turned to face the oncoming threat, and began to tighten their formation so that the freighters were partially protected by the bulk of the dreadnought.

In reply, and according to Ackbar's orders, the commanders of the two corvettes and thr

3. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Ooo, first reply. :D

Was it you who said you had a problem writing space battles (sim or otherwise)? You seem ok to me. ;)

Poor Wedge, stuck riding the stick of his X-Wing when he'd rather have Kerensa riding his--whoops, nevermind. [face_mischief]

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Moff - :D

And thanks for the feedback about the battle.

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Good thing it was practice and not the real thing. Wedge wasn't thinking straight. :)

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi RebelMom - yes, poor old Wedge. You can tell he's still fairly young. He ages quickly in the next few years though! The price of being Rogue Leader I guess.

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Golly - I hope people find this now I've moved it!!!

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    The dogfight wasn't too bad. Doesn't give me the feeling that I'm there though, like the dogfights in Stackpole's book do.

As for Wedge's performance, I expect that from Wes, not Wedge. Why do I get the feeling that I have just insulted Wedge?

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    JA - :D I think you have insulted Wedge! Ah well, even he was once young and a little bit too influenced by the non-intellectual parts of his body. He is after all human.

Aha! Makes note to self - work on battle scenes. Stackpole is pretty hard to emulate though.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Real life snatched me away each time I managed to approach this fic.

Sounds like Wedge really is distracted here, and Neekau is not helping things with his personal vendetta. I hope somebody else besides Wedge notices this, so that he can get a dressing down at least. I also liked the way you had Wedge noticing unusual flickerings of anger and frustration inside himself -- he's usually so cool and calm that you'd hardly think he was capable of such emotions. But, as you pointed out, he's younger here.

The fight scene was very well written! I admire you for tackling it.

This sentence really described Atanei's mind-set to me: She was also predictable, and unlike a certain other sleek and speedy lady she responded as expected when he worked her controls. Ugh, it seems so ... sexist somehow! He seems to think that women are no better than machines, something to be 'worked' for personal satisfaction. His, not theirs. Ugh again!

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Jane - and yes, that's Atanei's view of women exactly, so I'm glad it came through. However, he does have the potential to change. ;)
    I'm hoping in this story to show Wedge as he was at the beginning of his sole responsibility for Rogue Squadron - still fighting with his youthfulness and his emotions. He has to learn quite quickly how to bury his needs and desires beneath the stern face of command - and I think it takes its toll. Allston and Stackpole dealt with this aspect a little - showing him sometimes thinking about what he would have been doing if not for the war. It's kind of sad as it makes you realise what people have to give up. because of duty.

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    While Wedge was battling Atanei Neekau, Kerensa was having her own battles back on Iicini'ia.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Kerensa wandered slowly amongst the transplanted kooli palms until she reached the alley which led away from the main quadrant to a secluded spot at the rear of the Communications and Intelligence sector. Usually she either ate her lunch in the cafeteria or at one of the tables set up in the quadrant in front of it. Although the I-M complex was mainly subterranean, the architects had decided that its personnel deserved at least one semblance of the garden world outside, so they had installed a system of refracting conduits through which daylight was channelled down and diffused over a massive courtyard. The area possessed its own micro-climate capable of supporting trees and shrubs, and small colourful avians had been brought in to help keep it clear of refuse. Except for the fact that the greenery was arranged in patterns too symmetrical to look completely natural, it was a pleasant enough replica of a real park. Today however, Kerensa fancied solitude, so had slipped away from her friends, taking with her some grain and seed bars left over from the picnic to eat while she thought.

The smell of the koolis reminded her of the previous night at the beach, and she smiled to herself as she remembered Wedge's expression when he had seen the beachhopper, and his modesty about wanting to kiss her. She wished she'd had a bit more experience in the field of romance to judge whether it was just technique, or whether he really felt as strongly as those kisses, especially the later ones, had seemed to imply. Maybe it was simply an effect of the setting. Moonlight and the warm, peppery fragrance of the koolis was rather conducive to that sort of behaviour. Although there again, he'd kissed her again that morning. He'd caught up with her as she'd been hurrying down the ramp to her sector, and they'd ducked into an alcove quickly. She had wished him luck for the maneuvres, and had promised to meet him in the cafeteria when they returned, even though she knew they wouldn't be back until late. At the moment all she wanted to do was be with him, and when she wasn't with him, she thought about him. Logic told her she shouldn't, but something stronger than logic seemed to have taken control of her.

She started to sigh to herself, when suddenly she stopped. There was a strange crackling, humming sound coming from around the corner. She poked her head around, and nearly dropped her plastine lunch container. A set of pale blue eyes met hers over the shaft of light.

"Mercy," she gasped, inwardly feeling her spirits sink. So much for solitude.

"Sorry," said Luke self-consciously. "I thought I'd found the one spot where I wouldn't be in anyone's way." He reached up to deactivate the remote and switched off the light sabre, intending to return it to his belt.

"No," said Kerensa, rather surprising herself. The last time they had spoken she had been too upset to take much notice of his appearance, but now she looked closely she could see something in his expression that tugged at her heart strings, something almost vulnerable. "You go ahead. I can eat my lunch anywhere, but there aren't very many places you could practise undisturbed. I suppose when they built the base, they didn't take Jedi into account."

Luke smiled. Although he had heard a little antagonism when she mentioned the Jedi, she was obviously in a mellow mood. He pondered the morality of taking advantage of that.

"A Jedi practice room would have been a nice afterthought," he quipped.

To his surprise she smiled too. "I'm sorry I was so rotten the other day," she said humbly. "I have a bit of a bad temper, and it often gets me into trouble. You keep up your practice. I'll toddle back to the courtyard."

"No, don't go," Luke tried to sound casual. "I'm pretty much in need of a break. You can only do so much with a remote; after a while it gets a bit predictable."

Kerensa tilted her head and

13. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I get the impression that See Threepio's services are appreciated more than his personality

I think Vergere's statement about the truth being more than words can put it applies here.

Nice discussion on the issue of morality when using the Force. Yoda's statement about anger, fear, and aggression was a keystone, but it didn't build the whole bridge. Mara essentially reminded Luke about the morality issue in VotF. As for knowing herself, why do I get the feeling that you're going to put Kerensa through something during which she'll question everything she thinks she knows about herself. Sort of what Vergere did to Jacen in Traitor, though thankfully not as extreme or cruel.

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks JA. Very perceptive too. ;)

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Whew, finally get a chance to read and reply! Another interesting post. Loved the part where the smell of the kooli trees brought back memories of Wedge -- smell and memory are very strongly connected, aren't they? I also liked the way Kerensa wished she had more experience in the field of romance, so that she could judge whether it was just technique, or real feeling on Wedge's part. Experience? Huh! Use the Force, girl! Then you'll find out he's just as smitten as you are. ;)

Do I take it that Kerensa took advantage of Luke's coughing to give him a thump that was partly to help him breathe, and partly to release some of her frustration? She did seem like she was more in a mellow mood this time around, joking about Artoo and all that, so if she were a bit frustrated, it must be a deep-seated feeling, chronic but not acute. Or was it more of a teasing thing, pretending to be frustrated?

I did like Luke's argument that, although she did do some bad things with the Force, not everything she did with it was bad, especially when she was just giving her all. Good idea to tell her that her "all" included more than most people's all, and to bring up his own case of the Death Star and piloting, comparing himself to others who didn't have the Force.

Kerensa might know herself well, but I hope she does think about this, and gets to know herself a little bit better.

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks for the great feedback Jane. Both you and JA are really good at giving helpful comments - and I really appreciate it.

smell and memory are very strongly connected, aren't they? Apparently this is true. They reckon that the memories that stay the longest are those that have some emotional importance.

I think Kerensa is still a little prickly at Luke. She's beginning to admire him and see that he's a good guy, but she's still annoyed at having to talk about the Force when she'd really prefer to push it away from her thoughts. And yes - maybe she doesn't know herself as well as she thinks, or maybe she puts herself down a bit and lets her guilt have too much sway.

17. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Very nice ruminations of the Force Tahi. I like the debate between Kerensa and Luke, its well constructed.

Wedge a playa? I don't think so. He's sincere, right? :p

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Wedge a playa? I don't think so. He's sincere, right? You got it.

Thanks Moff - I still find the moral implications of using the Force food for thought. In some ways not having any Force ability made life a lot less complicated.

19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Sorry about the delay.
    Kerensa seems to be causing problems for several people at the moment. In Luke's case, she's not really going along with his recruitment ideas. In Wedge's case, she's on his mind a little bit too much.

Chapter Sixteen cont

"By the Sith, that was a case of the quick and the dead!" Hobbie pulled off his helmet, and pushed his wet hair from his forehead making it stand up like a wave. "Who was that maniac with the five kills on his A Wing?"

"That was Captain 'Mr Universe' Neekau," replied Plourr sourly. "If his chest expands any further it might just about match the size of his mouth."

"I dunno, Plourr," Wes had already discarded his orange flight suit. "I'd prefer to be flying with him rather than against him. The guy may be a pain, but he's got what it takes. Where's Wedge?" he asked Tycho, as the Alderaanian pilot came around the side of Hobbie's X Wing.

"When I last saw him he was flying around in circles with Neekau on his tail."

"I hoped you were going to say flying circles around Neekau," said Wes, wryly.

"So did I," Tycho's crystal blue eyes met Wes's for a few seconds over the heads of the others.

"So what's next on the list?" Hobbie asked completely oblivious to the edge in Tycho's voice.

"The hunt and destroy exercises, I think," came Nasha's voice as she joined the group. Admiral Ackbar and General Tavaala had planned a full day of exercises, including tracking the hyperspace exit points of tiny recon droid vessels, tracking the vectors of the same vessels as they re-entered hyperspace, and speed tests to practise rapid unloading and loading of the fighters from the capital ships. The final exercise was co-operative, and involved both fleets practising various battle formations and strategic maneuvres. As Nasha began speaking again, another X Wing came in through the magnetic seal over the entrance to the hangar.

"Sorry I dropped out so early, Lieutenant Janson. I think the atmosphere here's upsetting my concentration. I just couldn't seem to take today seriously; until that maniac with the kills on his A Wing started hassling me, that is," she finished grimly.

"Yes, well you're not the only one with that problem," said Wes. He raised his eyebrows at Tycho, and the latter nodded and walked away in the direction of the fighter which had just settled neatly on its landing skids.

"I need a coffeine or three," said Plourr impatiently. "Who's coming?"

"Definitely me," said Sarrash, a grin making his boyish face look even younger. "You weren't the only hit, Nasha. I think that game of smashball yesterday drained me more than I expected."

Wes shook his head as the others headed towards the exit, and he glanced over at the orange-suited figure climbing out of the X Wing with the two Death Stars on its fuselage. Tycho's joke several days before about sultry Selenies suddenly didn't seem so funny anymore.

20. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Great. The Rogues got trounced by Neekau, and chances are they're none too happy with Wedge. I know from playing the X-wing CD and X-wing Alliance game that with all power channeled to engines and with no fancy maneuvers, an A-wing can outpace an X-wing. Even with power channeled to engines, shields, and lasers, an A-wing is faster and more maneuverable. But those factors can make an A-wing comparable to the TIE interceptor, and you'd think after duking it with TIE interceptors long enough, he can handle an A-wing.

Then again, the experience of the pilot is a factor, so you'd think Neekau and Wedge would be evenly matched.

Now, instead of being fried or grilled by Ackbar, he's going to be dressed down by Tycho. Could be worse. He could be facing Wes, Hobbie, or Plourr. Plourr would be comparable to Tycho and Ackbar, but Wes and Hobbie? I can't see how things could get worse for Wedge than being addressed by the clown and/or the pessimist of the squadron.

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    LOL - JA. Yep, I don't know what would be worse either: Plourr or Wes and Hobby. Death by madness or sarcasm!

I think Wedge and Neekau are about evenly matched in fighter ability - as potential lovers, I think Wedge looks as though he has the edge. ;)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    O me miserum - I seem to have lost a lot of my readers since I moved to the new board. :(

23. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, dear, I thought I'd replied to this. Sorry!

Loved Plourr's comment! "If his chest expands any further it might just about match the size of his mouth." And I'll bet hearing Wes praise the man didn't make her feel any better, either -- it's even worse, somehow, when already-cocky people do better than you. That really burns.

Oh, dear, sounds like Wedge is in for it! Something tells me that I wouldn't enjoy having Tycho come marching over in my direction with that steely look in his eyes.

24. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Jane. I agree - Tycho can be pretty intimidating. My favourite images of Tycho are in The Phantom Affair. He really comes through well in that comic arc. :)

25. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    You can't lose me that easily Tahi. ;)

However, I do forget to check on these stories from time to time. [face_blush]

Nice chapter. The Rogues off to lick their wounds? At least none of them died. ;)
    Wedge probably has a little more on his mind or else he'd take this A-Wing turkey to school. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.