main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The map to Luke Skywalker...isnt a map to Luke Skywalker.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Argalin, Dec 22, 2015.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's my point. Why does it seem like the piece was placed somewhere to be found, and that the First Order was alerted of this somewhow?

This pisses me off because it reminds me of the Prequels' storytelling. If you want explanations, then you're going to have to read this book and that book, and watch commentaries and interviews for something that could be told in the film in no more than two lines of dialogue. Smh

2. wildonrio

wildonrio Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

This is the mother question. I read the whole thread and the consensus seems to be that you need the rest of the map because you need to follow way points. This seems weak to me. Space is huge and open, and you can take many different routes to a specific point. And BB8's map had many stars within, giving context to where it was in the bigger context of the whole galaxy, and also had a yellow line leading to the final destination of the temple. Why wasn't that enough?

3. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I love this idea, and hope it turns out to be true. :)

4. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Coming back to help your friend shows you are loyal. Waiting until the last minute so that your action has the most impact shows you are calculating.

There is a saying in aviation: there are old pilots and bold pilots. Han obviously made it to the former category.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    You can say it in as many variations to your same overall thing until you are blue in the face. I think you misread Han and JJ got Han perfectly.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Personally I think the whole map mystery thing was them trying to imitate the map to Kamino.

Strange Old Hermit likes this.
  7. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    In the movie, 3PO states that the map BB-8 had didn't match any KNOWN star systems in the galaxy. That's why they couldn't find Luke's system. The same way Kamino disappeared from the Jedi Archives, perhaps?

Vorax likes this.
  8. DeadHankRich

DeadHankRich Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    hang on everybody!!!

Just imagine the vastness of a galaxy.

Even with the hyperdirve and all that fancy stuff there's still a lot of empty space and blank spots to explore. Imagine telling someone on Jupiter that you left something in the top drawer of you desk. To really conceive that small of location from Jupiter and to map it would be insane. Maybe the map needs someone force sensitive to pinpoint and unlock it.

But ****. To find one person on a crazy rock island in the middle of a planet, in some solar system in some secluded star system is lucky. You would need a map. It would take centuries to even explore the tiniest of areas of the galaxy to even recognize a planet. Remember the Jedi archives. Sometimes planets are erased. And if they're erased they virtually become invisible. Most people would stick to the main routes and avenues and populous planets.

It's not unlikely that there's a star or system that hasnt been explored. And if it's a Jedi temple. it's probably hidden or masked, only found through dedication through the force. Someone as strong with the force as Luke would have a hard time finding. Thats why it's taken him at least 30 years. probably less.

But ****. this is a non issue. The map was a general guideline for an area to search. Probably with the most efficient hyperspace routes mapped out. Once you get close you need to be force sensitive to even have a clue to what direction to go.

9. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

That's what I don't get. Yes the map must have been a map to the First Jedi Temple (And the characters just assumed Luke would be there...um ok, I'll buy that). But what I don't understand is HOW do Kylo and the First Order know that Luke would be at the First Jedi Temple? Han says "those closest to him" believed he was searching for the temple. I don't see how Kylo or Snoke or Hux would be considered "close to Luke" at the time of his departure. I think the map was referred to as the "map to Skywalker" rather than "map to the First Jedi Temple" so most viewers would not ask the obvious question that follows: "How does the First Order know Luke would be at that temple of all places?"

Why not have Kylo say one line to Rey like "I know Skywalker must have found the first Temple—finally—he was obsessed with it." Or something like that, referring to Luke telling his students many years ago of his desire to locate the first Jedi Temple. That would have been cool.

burg2774 likes this.
  10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

o_O

Rodie likes this.
  11. donster28

donster28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2016
    Hi folks! I'm new here and am glad to be able to join the discussions.

I love The Force Awakens and have seen it 3 times now (IMAX 3D is the way to go!) but there's only one thing that's bothering me about the movie and I need your help. It is about the map (to Luke's location) that BB-8 and R2-D2 were carrying.

See, BB-8 had the smaller piece that's supposed to be an unknown/uncharted system that shows Luke's location, but R2-D2 had the information of the bigger area surrounding that small piece. The First Order is supposed to have a copy of that surrounding area from the archives (as stated by Kylo Ren).

My question is: If the First Order had the surrounding area of the map in the first place and was just missing that small piece in the middle, why can't they just concentrate their search on that area in the middle to find Luke, instead of chasing BB-8 around for it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mav Edit: Thread merge

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

I'll let Douglas Adams answer this:
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

13. donster28

donster28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2016
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I thought that too and it's further evidenced by the scene where BB-8 was projecting the map for Han, Finn and Rey...it was indeed a huge area represented by a small piece.

So I can safely assume that it was just much easier for the First Order to gain possession of the small piece then. :)

Tanjint likes this.
  14. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    I think part of it too is that the map provides hyperspace routes to the location, which might require further work to figure out otherwise.

Tanjint likes this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I'M THE MAP!

16. donster28

donster28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2016
    Makes sense! Thank you again.

Tanjint likes this.
  17. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    To me this is one of the biggest flaws of the film (which is another testament to how great it is, because this is a pretty small nitpick); mainly because when you see the missing piece, the "route" just continues and does not squiggle or Anything that makes one think they couldn't have just followed the route that was begun with the other pieces. The infamous Belated Media guy had a GREAT idea in his TFA review when he said the maps should overlay instead of different puzzle pieces so each map piece is a layer of the area needed. He also had an idea about the map being 3 pieces with the FO having one, Tekka/BB-8 had one, and Resistance had one but to me once you have the overlay idea that's not necessary.

18. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    While R2's map had the first section of the trail if you will, there's no reason to assume the map in the Empire records had it, so it can stand to reason that the FO had just recently figured out the significance of the map they had and that the missing piece was Luke city. Or something of that nature.

19. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

I think it was the other way around: the FO had an Imperial map of the complete galaxy, including the portion where Luke was. The resistance did not have this complete map. The piece BB8 had was in the unknown regions, so the FO could overlay it on their map to figure out where it was, but without the complete map (which R2 had in his long memory), there was no placing the subsection. Kinda like if I gave you a map of a small portion of Nevada desert, but you don't know where Nevada is. The FO had a complete map of the USA and could figure out what the small piece matched.

AmySolo likes this.
  20. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Very reasonable, but in the end that is my point. To assume they had what R2 had & therefore say the FO doesn't need what BB8 had is shortsighted maybe?

Stoneymonster likes this.
  21. donster28

donster28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2016
    I was thinking maybe the assembled map shown in the scene was just a 2D representation of it for time's sake. They probably had to look at the 3D version to find Luke (which was not shown). The map indeed was 3D as we've seen in the earlier part of the movie.

Tanjint likes this.
  22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Yup yup! And Ren stupidly thinking he could get it out of Rey was their big misstep.

23. donster28

donster28 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2016
    [\quote]I think it was the other way around: the FO had an Imperial map of the complete galaxy, including the portion where Luke was. The resistance did not have this complete map. The piece BB8 had was in the unknown regions, so the FO could overlay it on their map to figure out where it was, but without the complete map (which R2 had in his long memory), there was no placing the subsection. Kinda like if I gave you a map of a small portion of Nevada desert, but you don't know where Nevada is. The FO had a complete map of the USA and could figure out what the small piece matched.[\quote]

Makes sense too!

...having problems properly quoting...hehe...so sorry...

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I wondered about this, but when you see the complete map, and just how large the galaxy is (even just the missing section) I think they get away with it.

Tanjint likes this.
  25. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    Nobody has mentioned any of this:

Ren ordered to forget the droid because Rey supposedly had the map in her head. Kylo read Rey's mind and said he saw the island on the water in her mind. She's never seen anything beyond Jakku or Takodana.

When the Resistance were reviewing BB-8's piece, did they see a close up detailed image of Ach-To and was Rey present?

If not, how did Rey have that image in her head?