main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The map to Luke Skywalker...isnt a map to Luke Skywalker.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Argalin, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    If they stopped saying "the map to Skywalker" everytime they mention it, maybe it could have made things a litter easier to understand they're looking for the First Jedi temple and Luke wasn't the one to leave a map behind for them to find him.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He wasn't?

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Nope.
    Michael Arndt

J.J

A shame we have to read outside materials to understand this. o_O

4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe we don't really need to understand it?
    Or maybe EpVIII will clear it up?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's really a map to your mom's house.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

To be frank, I don't really put it past J.J Abrams, of all people, to have to divulge plot points on Twitter due to incompetence whilst writing the film.

Conkhead_12 likes this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    "...an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke's whereabouts"...
    I wonder how... Wait, could it be that the Church of the Force managed to remove the location of the first Jedi Temple from the archives of the Empire back in the day? Is that why it ended up in LST's possession on Jakku?

...or was it removed by Jedi thousands of years prior?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  8. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Lor San Tekka had stolen it from the only available source, the Imperial Archives.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The map leading to "Luke" is by default. If those "who knew him best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple", a map to the first Jedi temple is what would be required to reach Luke.

There are maps which lead to my city but they are certainly not labeled as maps leading to me. Aside from when being used by people specifically visiting me.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Conkhead_12: Are you suggesting that Palpatine kept the location of the temple to himself?

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well it being a map to the Jedi Temple and only a possible location to Luke makes the most sense. There's no way it could be a 100% guaranteed location for Luke as Kylo Ren says "And we have the rest. Recovered from the archives of the Empire, but we need the last piece." Obviously Luke did not go into hiding until over a decade after the fall of the Empire.

Conkhead_12 likes this.
  12. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    I kinda remember vaguely, during the Great Jedi Purge, they had to hunt down all the Jedis and destroy the Jedi Temple. They had the map for every temple in the galaxy, the one on Ach-To included. But apparently, a portion of it was stolen by Lor San Tekka

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That doesn't add up. Why would the Empire remove that portion from the map after, or during, the purge?

14. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

It's very reminiscent of Kamino being removed from the Jedi archives as well.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It is indeed. Someone didn't want Ahch-To to be found.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, it's exactly the same. Palpatine has a history of removing information that he doesn't want found.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I just assumed hyperspace routes

18. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

It could have been Luke. It would fit with the Ring Theory.

• The bad people erase a planet from the Jedi archives to make the Clone Army rise undetected.
    • The good guys erase a planet so the new Jedi Order can rise undetected.

The whole plot with him and Poe's mother "Find force tree cuttings." just after ROTJ which they rescued the two cuttings from one of Palp's research facilities.

One of the trees goes with Poe's mother, one goes somewhere with Luke.

In the Ahch-To set stills there is a burned out tree that looks a lot like the one outside the Jedi temple on Coruscant.

Maybe the fire we see in the Force vision with the shot of R2 is that tree burning.

19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting how both Luke and Snoke are in remote regions and they both may be connected with sources in the Force.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't think Luke removed that map section, as that would require an elaborate plan to access the archives of the Empire before the First Order found the map.
    It's possible, I guess, but it seems a bit far-fetched.
    More likely, it was removed by Jedi in the days of the Old Republic. That's why Luke had to go looking for the temple.

21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Jonathan Ammon ‏@jdammon 24 de dez de 2015
    @pablohidalgo Would it be reasonable to interpret "map to Luke" as "map to the first Jedi Temple, where Luke is believed to have gone?"

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 24 de dez de 2015
    @jdammon Perfectly reasonable. It is a map to the first Jedi Temple.

=
    =
    Erick Nordenson ‏@ericknordenson 25 de abr
    Hey @pablohidalgo, is there a canon explanation for where the map to Luke in TFA originated? That is, who made it,and why?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 25 de abr
    @ericknordenson The map isn't to Luke as it is to the first Jedi temple. And Lor San Tekka is an explorer who helped Luke recover old lore.

JCBattini ‏@Korsof2a_34 25 de abr
    @pablohidalgo @ericknordenson but then how does R2 have the rest of the map ?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 25 de abr
    @Korsof2a_34 @ericknordenson Pieced together from old Imperial data that R2 compiled.
    =
    =
    TomDark ‏@Timmy81Tom 1 de ago
    @pablohidalgo -Why did the First Order have the Map piece to Luke ? Because Luke was searching for the Temple after the Jedi were killed ?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 1 de ago
    @Timmy81Tom They didn't. They were trying to get Lor San Tekka's piece. Or do you mean the one Kylo mentions as recovered from the Empire?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 1 de ago
    @Timmy81Tom Because what the Empire had - and what Luke had - were maps to old Jedi temples.

Homergreg and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

If we are to go with the ring theory:

- In AOTC the planet was mysteriously removed from the Jedi Temple archives to prevent the Jedi from knowing where a secret Clone Army was being created with the end goal of destroying the Jedi.

- In TFA, a map to the first Jedi Temple was removed from the Empire's archives by an unknown person for unknown reasons.

- The map fragment is desperately wanted by Leia and Snoke, one to get Skywalker to return, the other to stop the New Jedi from rising.
    - One erased planetary system holds the key to destroying the Jedi, the other to allowing it to live again.
    The people who don't see the parallels and see it as lazy writing didn't pay attention.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    ^ What he said.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I like the parallel, but I wished they had put this information in the film. MVS had such a small role that another two minutes to explain this idea would have worked wonders for the character.

Poe Dameron: How'd you find it?
    Lor San Tekka: It wasn't easy. Master Skywalker erased the location from the Archives, but he had the foresight to leave a copy where I could find it. His astromech droid will have the complete map now. Take it to him.

Two minutes...tops.

It would explain the missing piece and why Artoo and Kylo Ren failed to have it.

25. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

Isn't it worth a bit of effort to earn two perfect minutes?