main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The Maple Leafs Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I couldn't help but notice that this board doesn't have a hockey thread. Considering that the city is home to the second best team in the league, that doesn't seem right! So, I made this thread for all of us Leafs fans to get together and celebrate the victories, and discuss how the team is doing and where it is headed.

I didn't see the second game, but I saw the first. Balfour was impressive. I like that score, too. 6-0. They play Pittsburg again tonight. We'll see how things go!

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Considering that the city is home to the best team in the league

Toronto is in Quebec???

3. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm from Toronto, and i love the leafs... but they are far from being the best team. Belfour is a major liability. Not only is he hurt right now (thumb infection) but he has a very hot temper which if started will really hurt the leafs. Over the off season we didn't really get ANY help. Basically the only hope for the leafs right now is if Sundin and Moginly both have carrer seasons and we pick someone up at the trade deadline...

My opinion the best team right now is Colorado.

Matt

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Toronto doesn't win the most games, but that doesn't mean they're not the second best team. :p

Come on, people! Show some fan spirit. :p

5. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Since when does WINNING the most mean that they're the BEST team??

I think the Leafs are the BEST! I think they rock! I only became a hockey fan three years ago, but AM I EVER!!!

I have yet to actually GO to a hockey game, poor me, but I watch it whenever I can, and as of yet, I have not been able to see a game, due to lack of cable at home downtown. However, there's always the papers (I can't do the radio thing...it just doesn't work for me).

I'm still upset that Cujo didn't stay with us, and I think the Leafs (upper management) are just dummies for letting him go. This whole Belfour thing is ridiculous, and I still want a Joseph jersey.

I also think (I have many thoughts) that fans are quite fickle people, who blame Sundin when we lose and then jump on the band wagon when we win. The Leafs AREN'T the Jays people!! :D

Currently, I have a major headache, a result of a fever, so if none of this makes sense...that's cool...I don't think hockey fans make much sense anyway...and I'm one of 'em. :)

6. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I didn't say i don't love the leafs, I really do i just don't think they are the best team...

They are by far my favorite because they are my team! but they still arn't the best around, nor will they probably have what it takes to win the cup this year.

Matt

7. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    For those who think an American team is better. :p As I like to put it if you can't take the cold stay out of Canada.

Leaf's aren't the greatest, but they're still my fav because of good ol' Nationalism.

8. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Leafs

suck.

There.....it's been discussed. :D

9. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    The Leafs ARE great(cough*Die habs Die*cough). It is such a universal truth though that it didn't need discussing before. I mean what other team in any sport draws such crowds without winning anything for 30 years. Most teams with that win record would be bankrupt by now. :D

10. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    Die Habs Die??? Why Don't we play a little counting game :)
    As a Habs fan I'll start:

Now, lets have the Leafs fans give it a try, I know most of you are too young to remember where to start and stop counting, but you can give it a try anyways, i'll give you a hint, you can use your fingers :)

11. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    *Raises arms grand gesture*

I`m starting a wave...

Oh, wait;

Wrong sport...my bad....

:p

12. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    wow..greg..that smacked of effort.

13. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Montreal invasion of this thread.

GO HABS GO

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You guys already have a thread on the Quebec board. Get outta here! :p ;)

15. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    This is for Uncle Jedi Jeff,

Let's go Red Wings (clap clap, clap clap clap)!!!! :D

YZERMAN for Prime-Minister!!!

*Throws squid at everyone*

CuJo knew a good thing when he saw one....
    *evil Skeletor laugh*

I'm born in Montreal and likes the Habs but moved to Toronto and is a Leaf fan but really is a in-the-closet Wings fan...go figure.

16. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    That was lovely, Dain. I like the dance that went with it too. Simply divine. :)

Oh, and Sheridan, if you need a little help with teams, I'll give you three (granted, they aren't hockey)

One...
    Two...
    Three...

Together, those three have a combined 263 years without a winner. Up until the 94 strike season, all three were top draws. Since the, #1 has dropped fan base greatly. But #2 & #3 are still in the top 5 draws every year.

17. Jedi_Sheridan

Feb 7, 2001
    Ahh but they are American. Toronto is a Canadian town in an American system :p. Besides baseball is probably the dullest sport I have seen :p. Back on track. LONG LIVE THE BUDS!!!!

P.S. As for the Red Wings fan I can respect your opinion a little more. However, I recently met the beloved Scotty Bowman. He is, undoubtably, the MOST boring man EVER!!! It is not good to fall asleep at an audio board during a live taping.

18. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Detroit Stinks. Literally, you ever try to breath air in that city?

And the crime rate, some neighbourhoods advertise having just 10 mugging a day, and 6 murders a year.

Honestly if your advertising how much crime goes one there's got to be somethign wrong with the city.

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    LOL, Duker you are absoultly right about Detroit.

Not to mention that they have the oldest hockey team in the league. 6 players 35 years or older, 2 are over 40!

Even if they do well this year the Wings are going to break down soon.

20. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone stopping Detroit this season. Unless they happen you die off (like the Habs did a season or two ago), their veterans are still pulling, their goaltending can't be better, and most importantly, their young players are really stepping it up. Look at the way Fisher is learning positional play and play development from Chelios.....smart move putting them together.

Toronto does have a shot but as usual, we're literally a step or two behind the key teams. If you look at every team to win the cup in the last 8 to 10 years, they ALL have the four most important things in hockey:
    1. A Pure goal ascoring sniper forward.
    2. Golatenders that can win games on their own.
    3. A 30 min per game plus defenseman to act as a general.
    4. Roleplayers.

Detroit has these, Colorado has these, Dallas *HAD* these, New Jersey *HAD* these....Toronto? Not yet.
    Recently, we've had the goaltending (Cujo, I mean, but I'm not sure about Belfour *yet*), we've had the Roleplayers (MaCauley, Tucker, Corson, etc.) but on this issues of sniper and lead defense, that's where we're the step behind. Sundin had been good in the past, but he is an A-, as opposed to an A+. Not matter what anyone says, he's proven to be a step behind the Lemeiux's, the Sakic's and Forsberg's, the Modano's, the Jagr's, etc. Same with Almo. And on defenese, let's face it. I like Macabe, but he's no Bourque, Blake, Chelios, Lidstrom, or Scott Stevens....

Summed up, Toronto has been unwilling to spend the dough to get those little improvements, that Dallas, Colorado and Detriot have been willing to. And there's no real reason too.

Toronto has sold out their seasons tickets for the next four years. If they really wanted to, they could keep their team off the ice, and still make money.......

Well, there's the rant. I dare, repeat *DARE* anyone to argue otherwise......

:p

21. Jedi_Sheridan

Feb 7, 2001
    EEP!! Too much thought into that...whatever happened to good old. Detroit and Montreal Suck. Toronto Rules! i miss the old days of simple fandom. No complication or analysis. :p

22. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well... since you dared me!

I will agree about your statements on the key elements...

However Sundin i believe has proven himself to be a first class forward of the league along side Forsberg or Lemeux. There is one big thing about those last two players though. They get hurt! Constantly! Sundin not only plays almost if not as good as them but he is a strong player who doesn't get hurt as much.

A big reason why Sundin has been put in the background of the great players in past years is because of the leaf's coaching style of giving all lines the same amount of play. Finally last season they changed this policy and gave him more time on the ice. The result? 28 goals to 41 goals. Now this season they actually have given him someone with talent to play with (Mogilny).

In conclusion in terms Jedi_Sheridan would like, Everyone else sucks! Sundin rules!

23. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Although Detroit are the definate grandfathers of the league, but they DO have some good young players.

Fisher, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are 3 young guys get good playing time. Zetterberg is one of the front runners right now to win Rookie of the Year.

24. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm with sheridan. This isn't war. It's simple sports of pleasure.

SO STOP STRATEGIZING YOUR ARMIES AND JUST PLAY PUCKS!!!

25. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hm... Stratagy and armys... I smell RISK!@!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.