main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The Maple Leafs Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    It is all a conspiracy so the team owners can make money by having more games. How else can you explain the totally different teams?

Alex
    Styrofoam ?X? Guy

2. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    It's funny because not only did the Leafs lose, they had the worse lose of the playoffs for seasons to come.

3. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Well no gloating eh?? That would just be in bad taste right?

4. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I agree, that certainly would be in bad taste.

Well, we lost, but IMO, we went down fighting. Forcing it into overtime really showed heart. I hoped that we'd win this one, but assumed Philly would win the series in 7.

Props to a great season...and a great team.

5. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Ahh... another Leafs game, another group of loud customers saying how much they Leafs are going to win before the game, another loss by the Leafs, another time seeing these customers sad and depressed, another day that goes very well.

Go Flyers Go

6. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Everyone seems to be in a bad mood today. Can't blame them.

Before you would meet strangers and they would talk about the Leafs. I had a Leaf flag on my car and the reactions would be great. People honking horns giving you the thumbs up etc. People would even be nice and let you squeeze into traffic.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

7. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Mert, please take a hint. Your gloating really reflects badly on you. We don't gloat when they win, please be mature enough not to gloat when they lose. Please stop trying to provoke something.

8. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    My appologies. Thought people could take a joke. :p

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Let's try and relax guys please...

10. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    ummm, I believe that Leaf fans gloat very much when they win, not to say that you do specifically Lelila, but try walking around Toronto in a Habs hat after a leafs win against anyone and tell me Leaf fans don't gloat, I'm not taking Mert's side here, I'm just saying that (at least some) Leaf fans gloat too

11. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    I'm not talking about Leafs fans in general, Greg. I'm just talking about this thread. Mert's last two posts specifically try to provoke people and instigate an arguement. I don't see anyone else doing that anywhere in the thread.

12. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Deb,

No he didn't. He was just posting about what happened at his store. He doesn't like the Leafs, never has. He's allowed to voice to view.

Now, can we please get this topic back on track. Maybe about the Leaf's Golfing Season :) Let's not act like children and get this in line.

Everyone BE HAPPY! *does happy dance*

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    True he does post his observances but he also posts in his pleasure of the embarassment of others in coy fashion that is obvious he wishes to rub it in. Your continued ploy to deceive everyone into thinking you are an innocent member of the line and not an instigator of behind the scenes conflict Tessa is not as well hidden as you beleive. Many see through your veil.

14. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Alright, James. It's Just Hockey. There is no need to attack anyone on such a silly issue.

What embarrassment? What are you talking about?

Behind the scenes? James, this isn't some soap opera.

Why the devil is there such a huff over a post. Please all act like mature individuals. This is improper board behavior. What Mitch said was not ment as an offence. Please, Children (I say this only because I feel like I'm dealing with them) let it go. It's just a silly hockey game. (and if anyone states that I am taking Mitch's side because I am dating him, you are complelty wrong. I'm trying to be a board medium.)

*sigh of exasperation*

15. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    So how about those Blue Jays?

16. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Why might i ask did he come in a Maple Leaf thread and voice his dislike for them? Kinda pointless and instigating in its nature...

Sorry Tess but you don't come in a thread and trash what the topic is about.

17. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Alright, this will be my only post on the matter. If you are unhappy with what I have to say, or want to make any comments or questions about what I have said or am going to say then feel free to PM me and I would be more than happy to discuss the issue with everyone in a civil manner. I do not want this issue further discussed on this thread because it's purpose is for discussion about the Leafs, not discussion about discussion about the Leafs. With that said, I shall continue.

The reason I made my posts was because I am not a fan of the Leafs and never have been. I'm a Canadiens fan. Throughout the history of the NHL Montreal and Toronto have been rivals, and the fans have shared that rivalry. I have always made jabs when the Leafs lose to friends of mine and they usually make similar jabs to myself when the Habs lose. It's harmless fun. Why did I post specifically in a thread about the Toronto Maple Leafs? Simple, it's a thread about the Maple Leafs. It's not a thread about Puppy dogs or garbage bags, it's not even a thread made to specifically praise the Leafs. It's a thread just to discuss about the Leafs. With that said, I believe this thread would indeed be the best spot to make some comments about how the Leafs had lost their series, and the "humiliating loss" (quoting the Global News) they made a few days before.

Now, in regards to it's "bad taste"... I think this upsets me the most. If one is willing to be proud in their teams winnings, then surely they must be willing to accept that the same team has indeed lost. To all of the customers, school mates and friends I have made jokes about Toronto Maple Leafs to none of them made any sign that they felt insulted. Most laughed even. Heck, I laugh at Habs jokes all the time (A good one a customer told me the other day was: How many Canadiens fans does it take to screw in a lightbulb? The answer? 3. One to screw it in and two more to talk about how the old one used to shine.). Honestly, do you all get into bar fights when the one Philly fan stands up and cheers whenever they win? No, of course not, you accept your loss like a human being. This is no different. If you are unable to look at a situation such as a hockey team losing and joke about it, I'm worried to know how you react when a real tragedy happens. Lighten up. It's a hockey game. It'll be back next year just like it was here the year before.

Now, in regards to Tessa being an "instigator of behind the scenes conflict" I really don't see how this plays into anything. Or how this comment holds any merit. I'm going to be very blunt now. I really don't know what it is everyone thinks Tessa and I talk about in private, but it is definatly not you guys. I hate to tell you, but at least to me (I of course can't speak for Tessa) the members on the boards are not an immidiate pressing issue where we discuss different ploys on how to deceive people. There is no backstage conflict, no hidden mirrors and no veil.

I have made my post, if you would like to comment or question it then I freely ask you to PM myself, and that way the issue can be dealt directly.

18. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Sorry Mitch,

I'm not going to just PM you and let you have the final word, and thus make it appear you have the moral highground, which you certainly do not on this issue.

I'd like to ask if you even read the last page, you don't think we 'admit' our teams looses? I'll direct you to Deb's post, Alex's post, James' post.

You are right though, this is a discussion thread, i would like you to take a look back at your post and tell me where in either of them any points of discussion are? The fact is they are specifically trolling posts. another loss by the Leafs, another time seeing these customers sad and depressed, another day that goes very well.

Where are your discussion points? this is a discussion thread afterall like you point out. You celebrate in the leafs defeat and seem to take pleasure in the dispointment of others. Sorry Mitch, it may upset you the most but i don't see how this was anything other than in 'bad taste'.

Lastly and in conclusion, if you clearly dislike the leafs, and think, hey its hockey whats the big deal. Then its simple, don't post on a Maple Leaf hockey thread.

19. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Mert

Some of us did not know you were a Habs fan or that you joke with your friends in this way.

Consider this scenario.

4 very close friends. They all know that friend No 3 copes with stress or sadness with laughter. Whether it is cracking jokes or laughing out loud. The more he laughs or jokes they know the more he is sad. They know this and accept it.

Friend No 1 dies in an accident. At the funeral friend No 3 is laughing his head off. His close friends know he is actually very sad.

For the other family members all they see is this idiot why is laughing at the funeral of a relative. Their opinion of his will be what they have witnessed. Instead of feeling sorry for the friend they are disgusted with him. They did not know that this is the way he deals with stress or sadness.

If you said what you posted face to face with someone they can read your facial expressions and body language and determine that you were joking. This is not as easy with text. You knew what you meant when you made the post. You knew this is how you joke with your friends all the time. Others did not.

A lot of people make this mistake. You are not the first or will be the last. Putting a smilie face at the end does not always fix things.

So not just Mert but everyone should be aware of what they are posting as people can easily misinterpret things.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

20. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    So, what have you guys been hearing about the moves the Leafs org. will be making over the off-season? Any changes you think they should make?

Personally, if they painted the rink black and got rid of most lights at the ACC and made the players wear glow-in-the-dark uniforms - I think that'd be pretty cool. From a seat a normal person could barely afford (somewhere up in the rafters), they'd look like miniscule ants, painted green, on skates. Now that would be cool.

Sadly, it may take the NHL awhile to really see the true potential of it.

And, let's not forget the Hockey season isn't over because the Leafs are out. GO FLAMES!

21. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

There was something about the Leafs in the metro today. Something that had to do with finacial troubles. I really should have taken a closer look into the article.

Anyone else read it?

Toronto can't loose it's golf, erm I mean hockey team! ;)

22. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    They won't. The truth is ALL canadian teams at one point or another have financial trouble. Its a reality of being apart of the american sports system. However, I do recall hearing that there are several initiatives to protect the team because they are now apart of Canadiana. I beleive the same goes for the Habs. Like it or not they are apart of Canadian histroy and a point of pride for many. As well I question just how struggling they are when they have one of the most loyal fan followings in proffessional sports, win or lose. They often have the best attendance records.

Now as to the continuing argument of Mitch's comments. They were not observances of a team losing. I can take that the leafs lost I can even take people joking about it. YOur comments mitch were neither of those and do not assume that you can fool us into thinking such. We are not as naive as you beleive. Your comments were intentionally hurtful as you take pleasure in the loss of the local team. They were in bad taste no matter how you wish to warp the truth and we all see that. Your girlfriend suggests the I need to grow up? Perhaps I do, but I never claimed to be a mature adult as both you would claim with pride. This thread is a shining example of just how mistaken you are. I suggest then that you both take her advice.

Next time you are looking to stir up trouble I suggest you take it elsewhere because its simply not welcome here.

Now as for Tessa's personal comments towards me...

Alright, James. It's Just Hockey. There is no need to attack anyone on such a silly issue.

I have not attacked nor will I attack. I simply pointed out that Mitch's comments were in bad taste and others agreed. His comments were not obeservations but attempts to cause problems and stir the proverbial pot. Your defense of him is not necesary as he is most obviously in the wrong, and though you claim it has nothing to do with being your boyfriend I fail to see any other reason. He was instigating and as a leading member of this board I would expect you to not take sides and be the leader you so wish to be. Instead you swoop to your friends rescue.

What embarrassment? What are you talking about?

The embarassment of the Leafs fans. He took obvious joy in their shame, and while i would agree it was in poor taste for them to be so overzealous, its equally poor of him to take such pleasure. Its poor sportsmanship.

Behind the scenes? James, this isn't some soap opera.

And who are you trying to convince of this?

Why the devil is there such a huff over a post. Please all act like mature individuals. This is improper board behavior. What Mitch said was not ment as an offence. Please, Children (I say this only because I feel like I'm dealing with them) let it go. It's just a silly hockey game. (and if anyone states that I am taking Mitch's side because I am dating him, you are complelty wrong. I'm trying to be a board medium.)

And our comments were not offensive either. I simply stated that his comments were in bad taste. They were. Deb agreed and asked that he not continue. If you are a board medium then adress Mitch as well not just those "attacking" him. I must say I am disapointed with your behaviour thus far as a leading member of this board. YOu have failed to demonstrate the maturity you claim to have and wish others to act with.

23. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Adam, and Tessa, it's nice that you're trying to steer the thread back toward normality. However, there are some things I need to refute.

It's funny because not only did the Leafs lose, they had the worse lose of the playoffs for seasons to come.
    -----------
    What Mitch said was not ment as an offence.
    -----------

I'm sorry, but I fail to see a purpose for this post other to be offensive and provoke an arguement. If all Mitch really wanted to do was declare his hatred for the Leafs, he could have posted that in one of the tens of other NHL threads on fanforce/the JC. How about on Canada General?

We've run into conflicts in the past, we know that arguements in this forum are instigated frequently, and easily. Hence, if we want to keep the peace, we should all know by now that this not the place to post material that will likely lead to that. Mitch, regardless of how your friends take your jokes as nonoffensive, you've been on the boards for a while, and you should be aware of that.

As for the nature of my original response to Mitch:

As a CR, I have to hard think before I post. Believe me, I would not make a comment on illegitimate grounds. Nor am I one-sided. I think that a lot of the comments shouldn't have been made. I advised a few people to dub down some of their posts in the thread. On both sides.

24. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Nor am I one-sided.

Lol I can vouch for that. ;)

Well said Deb as usual.

25. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    OK everyone, I want you all to calm please. I do not want to close this thread so please try and get along and be constructive not destructive. I cannot understand why a few of you continue to attack each other on these threads...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.