main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass The March Meet is going to be nuts!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthIC2, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIC2

DarthIC2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2006
    The March meet (Worcester vs Norfolk) is going to be great!

Worcester played Norfolk last night and here is a recap of what happened during AND AFTER the game!

WORCESTER? And to think that, for much of the evening, this looked like just another one of those three-in-three Sunday night specials where all anybody wants to do is get home, watch a couple of Green Acres reruns and head into bed.

Instead, it turned into one of the most memorable nights of the Worcester Sharks? first season in town, the Sharks winning a critical game against the team with the best record in the American Hockey League.

The final score ? Worcester 4, the Norfolk Admirals 3.

Was there a little emotion in the building, both on and off the ice?

After the game ended, according to players from both sides, Admirals coach Mike Haviland went at with Sharks coach Roy Sommer, both verbally and physically.

Reporters are allowed into the coaches? rooms and dressing rooms 10 minutes after the game ends, and Sommer had the door to his office closed longer than usual. When it finally opened, he was sitting calmly behind his desk and answered questions about the game.

When asked if there was an incident after the game, he replied: ?Nothing happened.?

However, that?s not what the players on the respective teams said.

A Sharks player said that after the game, Haviland came through the curtain that separates the home and visiting rooms and began yelling at the Worcester players. Sommer defended his players and the argument eventually escalated to the point where Haviland jumped Sommer and, if it wasn?t a fight, it was some kind of altercation that was eventually halted by the players.

Both teams emptied from their dressing rooms and milled around, but, indeed, nothing happened among them and eventually everyone went back to where he belonged.

?There are gonna be suspensions. There has to be,? a Sharks player said.

An Admirals player gave a similar account of what happened.

While the opposing teams come on and off the ice via separate tunnels, unlike the first few years of the IceCats, their facilities are separated only by a blue curtain. It is a visual, but not a physical barrier. In the single-tunnel days, the IceCats and Philadelphia Phantoms once had an under-the-stands brawl, but also in those days, the dressing rooms were separated by a gate made out of chain-link fence.

Now, about the hockey game, which was a dramatic one.

The Sharks got goals from Graham Mink, Grant Stevenson, Ashton Rome and Mike Iggulden and had a 4-1 lead halfway through the second period, with Carl Corazzini scoring for Norfolk.

After that, the Admirals went on a virtual 30-minute power play, sending four and five players into the offensive zone with each rush. Early in the third period, David Bolland and Troy Brouwer got goals for Norfolk, and it was 4-3 with the Sharks sagging.

Goalie Thomas Greiss was superb, though, down the stretch and Worcester held on.

?It was just survival,? Sommer said.

The victory meant that, on back-to-back nights, the Sharks had beaten the Manchester Monarchs, the team with the AHL?s second-best record, and Norfolk, with the league?s best record.

Worcester remains in a virtual tie for fourth with Lowell, which also won yesterday, beating Portland in a shootout. The Sharks and Devils both have 63 points in 58 games. Portland has 61 points in 57 games.

If the teams were any closer bunched together than that, they?d be breaking some sort of morality law.

Iggulden also had an assist, and Bolland was 1-1-2 for Norfolk, which is 2-4-0 so far on its 10-game road trip up this way. Iggulden and Mink have both scored goals in three straight games while Iggulden has four in his last five. His 22 goals are as many as he had as a rookie in Cleveland last year.

This was the third of four games between the Sharks and Admirals this season and Round 4 ? oops, Game 4 ? is scheduled to be played here Saturday night.

When it comes to things like altercations, hockey players tend to have long mem

2. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I have seen some good fights at hockey games and have been in a few good ones when I played. Best fight while watching a game was back in 95 when I saw the Fort Wayne Komets and Indianapolis Ice of the non-defunct IHL have 7 fights during their match. I took my brother who was like 10 I think and we had seats on the glass a few of the fights took place right in front of us. In one fight two guys started to go at it and then 4 joined in and they were smashing themselves against the glass. My brother smacked the glass as one of the guys face was firmly planted against it. the fight ended up involving the ref throwing punches and one of the getting hurt and carted off the ice. In one of the other fights everyone was going at it and the goalies must have felt left out because they skated to the middle and began to dook it out. totally classic stuff there.

3. Mohawk-Elvis

Mohawk-Elvis Jedi Master star 1

Jan 28, 2007
    Should be an interesting night. :D

4. DarthIC2

Mar 23, 2006
    [Sidious]'GOOOOOOD GOOOOOOD'[/Sidious]

5. DarthIC2

Mar 23, 2006
    Sharks got smoked 6-1 on Friday and we'll look to rebound for tonight's game. Going to be a helluva game.

6. Mohawk-Elvis

Mohawk-Elvis Jedi Master star 1

Jan 28, 2007
    Aaron I think I sent you my new cell number give me a call when you get a chance.

7. DarthIC2

Mar 23, 2006
    hmmm, not sure man call me or message me it again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.