main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Master Index Project - Thoughts, Ideas

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by red rose knight, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    From the ?Always in motion is the future - FanFic Boards Discussion? there was a lot of interest in creating a Master Index to house links to helpful, useful, and fun threads as well as the various indexes.

So, I am starting this thread for preparation, discussion and the collecting of ideas and links. Volunteers are greatly appreciated. Even if you don?t have the time to volunteer, any thoughts or help is welcome.

To help inspire and maybe guide the creation of a FanFic Master Index, Darth Lex provided this link to the Literature Forum Index and Melyanna kindly linked us to another good example, Sugar Quill?s Pensive Directory.

2. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Here?s a few preliminary thoughts of possible categories for the WRF master index.

(1) Story Indices ? e.g., J/J, A/P, K/J, A/T, H/L, songfics.
    ** Also might list the ?Fan Fiction Recommendation Service? thread here, as it?s another way of finding stories.

(2) Character-Focused Threads ? e.g., Obi-Wan workshop, Qui-Gon characterization.

(3) Writer-Oriented Threads ? e.g., TACTICS, Laboratory, Beta Readers Index, Help & Information Thread, Plot Bunnies, advice threads (how to get readers, etc.).

(4) Existing Social Threads ? e.g., Fortress, Treehouse, Over 30 Writers.

(5) Writer?s Challenges

(6) Fan Fiction Newsletters

I don?t have time right now to start tracking down all the links but I know I?ve recently seen (5) and (6) compiled. Quite a few of the rest are on the first two or three pages of the WRF too, which is good.

Unfortunately with DRL I can?t offer to run or maintain the index but I hope we can create one. I think it?d be a great addition to the fanfic forums. :)

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Also categories for:

-topic issues, like use of profanity
    and violence

-board-improvement discussions

-polls

-story-planning threads

I started gathering links for all the indices, but I can do other categories, too, no problem. :)

4. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    How about the Awards threads? Good place to find stories to read too.

I have collected a bunch of links to most of the polls that have been posted for the past several months.

5. _-Darth_Greek-_

_-Darth_Greek-_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2003
    consider me a volounteer, pm me with anything u need

6. JadeDjo

JadeDjo Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2004
    I would also be interested in volunteering.

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I would be interested, too. I'm pretty good with linking and mark up codes. :)

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm interested in volenteering too. :)

9. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    I'm willing to help. I could collect links for all the various stories about certain characters threads, if you want.

10. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Wow! Lot?s of volunteers! :)

Using Darth Lex?s example for a possible way to organize the index:

1. Story Indices

2. Character-Focused Threads

3. Writer-Oriented Threads

4. Existing Social Threads

5. Writer?s Challenges

6. Fan Fiction Newsletters

Are there any suggestions or additions to the list? Maybe categories or subcatagories for Beta Reader threads, useful links for new authors, links for guides to advertising your stories.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else?

11. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Perhaps Melyanna's Support Your Local Writer's: Review Challenge thread? I think it's very good. :)

12. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Can I suggest something to organize this effort? :)

It might be best if we determined our categories now, got our volunteers together, and then gave them all a set of pages to go through. Then they can sort the threads on those pages into their various categories (more than one, if necessary, I imagine), and a group can go through those lists, compile them, and double-check the sortings. Someone can probably set up a Yahoo group in order to coordinate this.

13. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I'd be willing to volunteer, but my time until 24th May is limited. If it's not too much of a problem, I'd do a small amount of work before then and more after. Provided you need me of course. :D

14. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    don't forget the beta reader thread. That is super important.

15. _-Darth_Greek-_

_-Darth_Greek-_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2003
    yeah, until may 27 im busy with finals

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
  17. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

I'm willing to help out with whatever is needed as well :D

18. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Sorry, about my absence there, DRL gets in the way sometimes. :)

Before we start throwing out links, lets work on defining the categories. I offered a list in my previous post, does anyone have suggestions, improvements or additions?

How would you all like to see it organized?

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    how about something like

Plot Points

Characters

Writing

etc?

like plot bunny thread would be under Plot points, Jaina/Jag index under characters, as well as Original Character alliance.....

writing

challenges

etc

would that work?

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Sorry I'm a little bit late to this thread! I'd be willing to volunteer if you need me. I have lots of extra spare time on my hands ;)

21. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Before we start throwing out links, lets work on defining the categories. I offered a list in my previous post, does anyone have suggestions, improvements or additions?

How would you all like to see it organized?

The list looked fine to me, red_rose_knight. And if no one minds, could I work on the Writer's Index, or whatever it ends up being called? Pretty please? I don't mind sharing if someone wants to work with me.

As for organisation, let me get this straight.

There is going to be one thread which is the Master Index. This thread would contain links to all the other Indexes, right?

Maybe a brief synopsis of what you might expect to find in the Index you're about to click into would be in order?

Or would all this be contained in one thread? That sounds like it could get mighty confusing.

Then each of the Indexers (sp?) would put the relevent links in their Index. Some threads may end up in more than one Index as they cross the boundry of several.

Maybe a "Other" category to cover anything that defies categorisation.

I think there was something else that I had to say, but it seems to have slipped my mind. Grr. Maybe I'll remember it soon.

22. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Maybe a brief synopsis of what you might expect to find in the Index you're about to click into would be in order?

It would be nice to have some guidelines of what is expected, instead of 'fly by night'.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm willing to help.

24. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Removed the index to post a newer one.

25. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    LOL! A little carried away eh? Kit bravo! Well done! I suppose it's up to us volunteers to now click and make sure your HTML'ing was correct ;) How long did it take to go through the board and break them down? lolol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.