main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic The Matrix Reloaded on a scale from 1 to 10

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by KitFist0, May 14, 2003.

?

The Matrix Reloaded on a scale from 1 to 10

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. I have seen it, I loved it. (8.5 to 10)

38.5%
  2. I have seen it, I liked it. (7 to 8.4)

19.2%
  3. I have seen it, and meh. (4 to 6.9)

11.5%
  4. I have seen it, and hated where's my money ? ? ? (1 to 3.9)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I haven't seen it, and going to see it when it comes out on DVD.

3.8%
  6. I haven't seen it, and I dont plan on seeing, and I'm indifferent about seeing it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I haven't seen it, and don't want to see it.

11.5%
  8. The Matrix is stupid.

3.8%
  9. Other

11.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2003
    hey rambles... im sorry if i am getting you wrong on this... im not sure if i even made myself clear... lol.
    when i said the comment about the kids going to see the movie... i wasnt meaning that their parents... or older brother or sister dragged them to see the movie, i was referring to them wanting to see it, and having their parents take them... and, im not really sure how 12 and 13 year olds are where you are from... but in this area... they are into things like that (the matrix).
    i know a lot of 13 year olds (well, i dont know them personally) that come in for hockey (i work in a hockey rink) that i over hear talking about wanting to see the movie... go figure... when i was that age (11 years ago... OMG) i know that no matter how hard i begged, and tried to get my mom or dad to let me see a movie like that, it would be a lost cause... sadly, scociety these days is more relaxed about what they want their kids to see.

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    For anyone that thought that sex scene was in any way "adult" you have to get out more. Hell, they didn't even show Neo's nipples let alone any real nudity and sex. There's more sex in Buffy the Vampire Slayer than there was in that.

Also, if a parent takes their 12 year old to see this movie, that's the parent's business. They can judge for themselves what they want their children to see.

Finally, I really don't like the way some people in this thread are judgeing others just because they don't mind seeing sex and nudity in films/television. Saying things like:

- sadly, scociety these days is more relaxed about what they want their kids to see
    - But some parents don't really care what their kids see, unfortunately.

Is unfairly judgeing people you don't know because they have different morals and values than you do, which is my biggest problem with religion (ALL religion, not just specific ones). Why can't you just accept that some people think differently than you do? There are plenty of "G" rated films out there if you don't want to see something or hear something that might be slightly adult in nature. That's what the rating system is for. For those of us that like sex, swearing, violence, and all of the good stuff like that, we got our PG-R rated movies. I don't say bad things about people that don't like G movies so please don't say anything bad about those of us that like R movies.

3. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't know but my sister has seen some pretty violent movies and she turned out fine. She doesn't walk into her school and starts shooting people. She doesn't pick fights. She doesn't strut around in tight skimpy clothes. She has the highest marks in her grade. She's a good kid. She's 13 and she's seen some pretty graphic movies since she was a wee little kid. (I just went downstairs and asked her. She's got herself emersed in the new "Artemis Fowl" book.)

And also...what's wrong with the rest of us who like seeing that kind of stuff in movies and TV?

4. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    I'm not judging anyone, Derek. I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone here. However, I take it you don't work with kids much. Ryan and I do. When you're a youth pastor, or a teacher, you see kids in a completely different way, and you see what affects them, and how they act, and who lets them see it. You are privy to much information in their lives. And from the kids I've worked with, and the ones I know, they see too much, and it affects everything about them. That's what I'm drawing my conclusions from. Not judgments. :)

5. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    People blaming films/media for violence makes me laugh. It all comes down to the psycological make up of a person, if they have had a bad life and want to escape then some can't help but want to be in a film. But its only a few, and then it comes down to how much a child is shocked. Thats why theirs guidelines, so it doesn't shock kids too young to see it. But all kids think they are mature enough and watch it if they can. I used to watch 18 rated movies when I was 7. Not done me or my mates any harm

6. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    You're right, it depends on the makeup of the child, for the most part, Rambles. However, I have worked with some kids where, in their violence or disrespect, they were quoting or acting out from different movies they have seen. So while the media and what they see is in no way an excuse for a youth to do what he or she may do, I will go so far as to say it does effect him or her in a potentially negative way, to a degree.

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    As for the kids thing: I too was watching violent movies, cartoons, TV shows from a VERY early age (5 or 6, Voltron at 3 or 4, in which they kill off one of the main characters in the first few episodes) and it didn't effect me in the slightest. Why? Because I knew the difference between fantasy and reality. In my opinion, any kid can watch anything, and then go home and pretend/play out that movie and be perfectly fine as long as their parents teach them the difference between fantasy and reality.

It is the parent's job to teach their kids, not the film industry. There's violence and sex and swearing and drinking and drugs in movies? Who cares, let it be, and don't say it's a sign of the downfall of society or whatever. Just let people enjoy the fantasy of it and be happy we aren't tossing Christians to the lions like they did a few thousand years ago for entertainment.

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    BecaIn my opinion, any kid can watch anything, and then go home and pretend/play out that movie and be perfectly fine as long as their parents teach them the difference between fantasy and reality.

And this all depends on what stage the child is in. Are they still in the formal concrete developmental stage? Or have they moved on to pre-operational? Or operational? All these need to be taken into consideration as well. Some children move through the stages of growth at different times, depending on what the environment of the child is like. Here, you're getting into the psychological and developmental factors of a child...

And not all children are lucky enough to have good homes, or parents to teach them. It is the parent's responsibility to teach and moderate, yes. But not all children are that lucky.

And the downward moral spiral of society is very subjective. It all depends on the view of the person. I know your view, and you know mine. I guess it's fruitless to argue about it, huh? :)

9. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Wow, such deep discussion on the ACG, I'm impressed.

The moral of the story is: never try.

10. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2003
    when i made that comment about scociety today being more relaxed in what their children see... i WASNT making that statement in a religous state of mind... i was just simply stating that when you compair the world of the 1950's with the world of today, it is a lot more relaxed than the world of the 50's.

reguarding the voltron comment... voltron is a cartoon... i LOVED voltron when i was a kid... and i too knew the difference between reality and fantasy... (it kinda helped out though knowing that the characters werent real... and just drawn...), and it really comes down to garbage in... garbage out...
    reguarding the working with kids... i also work with kids...youth groups/work, and you can tell the difference between a kid who was being sheltered from violence on tv/movies, until they were old enough to comprehend it and a kid who watches whatever he wants... there IS a noticible difference... wether you mean for it to happen or not... the kids who were "sheltered" from violence are much more behaved, and well mannered than the kids who watch what they want...garbage in... garbage out

11. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Wow, such deep discussion on the ACG, I'm impressed.

I know! It's great! I love it muchly. :D

And now I'm lost...

12. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    I've seen it now, and I rate it a 3 out of 10. What a poor disappointment, after the excellence of the first one. :( Yes, the fighst and sfx were great, but the first 45 mins were a waste of my life, as was the nonsense of the real world vs 'real world' vs matrix hokey ending.

Biggest disappointment since each PT episode came out. :(

13. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Nice to see ya again, Az...you should come here more often! :)

14. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002

I put that in there Tammy, because I felt this thread needed a little "Simpson" humour.

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    the kids who were "sheltered" from violence are much more behaved, and well mannered than the kids who watch what they want

Well thats a stereotypical conservative generalization if I ever heard one ...

16. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Not always...you have to teach them to be well mannered. TV isn't gonna do it for you.

17. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Tara: LOL...that was great. I get it now. *slaps forehead like the dunce she is*

Well thats a stereotypical conservative generalization if I ever heard one ...

Not as much as you would like to think, Derek. Unless you're on the front lines with kids, you really don't know that much about them. I'm not saying that to argue. I'm just saying that you have to be working with kids to understand how they work. Not everything is cut and dry. I'm not sure how much exposure you have to kids, that's why I'm not sure how to form an argument here...

18. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I worked with them for two summers...and it seems the parents are more violent than the kids.

19. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...some of them are! Like the stories you see about the sporting events and such? Teh VERY VERY VERY pathetic!

20. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Ohh the hell of that place...I don't want to think about it.

21. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...what place? Oh, wait. I think I know...would it have a roller coaster, by chance? lol...

22. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    //runs away screaming

23. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL!

*runs after Tara with a lasertag gun*

*catches the roller coaster to help catch Tara faster*

*goes up on the swings so she can jump when she sees her*

*jumps swinging a golf club, only to land in line for the pretzel stand*

*gives up hunt and munches on a pretzel*

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I worked as a park leader two summers ago. My kids were sometimes trouble, but they were basically good kids at heart. But some of the parents scared me.

25. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I'm a very screwed up, demented kid. I blame it on my parents and all other influences.

EDIT: And you guys can't act all innocent, either. You're half the reason my mind's been so corrupted. [face_mischief] [face_devil] :p

EDIT 2: emoticon editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.