main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Matrix Revolutions

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    w00t w00t... that is l33t.

2. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    So is everyone going to watch The Matrix on TBS 3 nights in a row as a warm up? We watched it last night, again. Its amazing how well it still holds up after several years.

I'm going see Revolutions Saturday. My brother needs to see it during the day so we're all going sometime between 3 and 4pm.

The Matrix, $9.99.

Hunting through the display of Reloaded DVDs to find one with the promo in it, $14.99.

Sitting and watching the movies and discussing plotlines, potentials and spoilers with your mother and brother, priceless.

3. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Hehe... I like this one...

The Matrix DVD $9.99
    The Matrix Reloaded DVD $14.99
    The Animatrix DVD $15.99
    Enter the Matrix for PS2 $49.99
    The Matrix Revolutions Matinee Ticket $4.25

Knowing the ENTIRE story behind the Matrix... PRICELESS

4. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I just bought a ticket for the 10 AM showing on Wednesday. When I bought it a few hours ago, the ticket agent told me that none of the showings were sold out yet.

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Nice, I guess Will and I will see you there. We'll both be representing for our side of the war. Dress up, hehe.

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I am off all day Wednesday...when are you guys meeting up down at Cinemark? Mind if I join you?

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    My friend posted his opinion on the Architect and what the scene was about. I got his permission to post it here:

Originally posted by WonderPants 11/3/03, 8:42am in Starbucks Episode V: Starbucks Strikes Back.

From what I've figured out from watching Reloaded and discussing it with friends, what the Architect is saying is that Zion and especially the Prophecy of the One are a system whereby the machines can control those who rebel against the virtual reality of the Matrix, while at the same time attempting to refine the Matrix programming so that eventually no one will rebel against the Matrix and escape from it. At some point, possibly when the population of Zion has reached a certain level, The One will be discovered, either by pure chance or by the machines engineering his discovery. Eventually, he will find his way to the Source and Architect, as shown in Reloaded, where he will be given the chance to choose between either love or humanity, by merging with the Matrix to refine and perfect it's programming and then choosing 23 people to rebuild Zion with. The five previous Ones have all chosen to merge with the Matrix source and rebuild Zion, but Neo breaks the trend to save Trinity instead, with as yet unresolved consequences.

Everyone got that? :p

Why do I have to have class at 10 am? And Then I have a paper due in another one at 1:10. Like I said before, next time you guys go and see it, I want to come. (Like on a weekend or something.)

8. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Hehe, I have class at noon, which I'm definitely missing. And then two tests on Thursday... ruh roh.

I like that quote, Cindy. That pretty much sums up the conclusion I came to a while ago about the whole reloading of the Matrix and the prophecy. However, there is a little dispute I have with

where he will be given the chance to choose between either love or humanity

This should be changed to "where he will be given the chance to choose between either The Matrix or humanity." This is the way it has always been, except in Neo's case, love was synonymous with humanity. (Hence the Architect saying Neo's experience was much more specific, vis-a-vis, love) On one hand he can choose to perpetuate the Matrix. By doing this humanity will always be enslaved until one of the Ones finally decides not to. On the other hand, he can choose to disregard reloading the Matrix altogether, which is a gamble, but will defintitely ensure the hope that humanity will succeed (despite success not being a guarantee).

I'll prolly see Revs a bunch of times, so don't worry about me going to see it again, hehe.

9. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Krash, Eric and I will be at the theater at 9am sharp (at least I will). I advise anyone going for the 10am showing to do the same, since lines will be chaotic. Just look for the Agent outside the building, that'll be me hehe.

10. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, Alex gets on his bus at 8:30 AM for school. I have to see him off in the morning. So if I'm ready to leave as soon as he does, I can be at Cinemark at 9:eek:O AM. I'll prolly be closer to 9:15 AM though. I will be dressed in Neo garb. WHOA.

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I am going to get down there a little early...since I will need to purchase my ticket and all!

love was synonymous with humanity
    In a perfect world...but we all know there are times where love does not fit into the equation.

One of the things about this story is that Neo and company are fighting to prove there is a choice...the cycle of the Matrix does not have to repeat itself for humanity to survive. Matrix seems to be saying that "love can conquer all" despite overwhelming odds, and whatever the powers at large have planned. Rather then simply allow the system to destroy everything they hold dear...Neo and company are willing to die trying.

12. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Hey, Geoff, make sure that you take pictures. I want to see what Will & Eric look like in their Matrix costumes.

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    We took a few pictures. I hope they turned out well. My review will come prolly tomorrow night. Got 2 tests to study for. Bye.

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    My review will come prolly tomorrow night
    I get to take the first review of Revolutions?...cool.

Ok, as an outsider to the whole Matrix fandom...I could argue this was the most exciting of the films. Matrix introduced the characters...and showed off all the neat special effects, Reloaded got to continue the "roller-coaster" type of action movie, but Revolutions is where all the things come together and the story gets interesting.

The thing that really made Revolutions exciting was the impending confrontation between Neo and Smith (or Eric and Will)
    Welcome back Mr. Anderson Everyone say "Thanks Darth Jurist!"

Meanwhile, there are several different plotlines going on (very similar to ESB and ROTJ) so you get caught up in the intensity of the moment.

Now before anyone starts going on about how Matrix Revoltions's use of CGI is better then AOTC...just consider that during the battle for Zion, there was as much CGI (and real actors mixed in) as during the Clone Wars scene.

15. southbeach

southbeach Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    I must say the Battle of Zion has been one of the best scifi battle scenes in quite a long time (even AOTC). I actually had feelings for the characters during that scene.

16. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Here's my quick thoughts about Revolutions, which I posted on a different message board:

I really don't know what to think about Matrix Revolutions. I'd like to say the whole movie was an ultimate letdown, but at the same time, I think to myself that it's not really a "Part 3" of the series, but rather, it's simply the last half of Matrix Reloaded (if you don't know, Matrix was originally planned to be a movie with a sequel, not a trilogy, but the original Reloaded was way too long, thus they split it into a trilogy). When I think about it that way, it's not so bad. However, being a 2 hour and 9 minute movie, I still felt like I was watching a 30 minute tv show, that movie felt way too short. I liked most of the scenes in the movie; the fight scene in Hell Club was simply brilliant, and the war in Zion was long and intense and gave you a sense of utter defeat and disbelief. The Super Brawl however, between Smith and Neo, was decent, however a little over the top for me. They should have focused more on fighting than flying into each other (they did that over 3 times)...and not that I like Dragonball Z ( I actually hate that show, along with any anime), but they totally ripped that show off with their flying antics. And the ending left a lot to be desired. It seemed almost as if most of the movie wasn't in the Wachowski Bro.'s vision, but rather the corporate big-wigs told them to do this, and that , and then have a nice big happy Hollywood ending. That's how I feel about it, the fact that the Bro's weren't able to finish their movie the way they wanted to, and rather had to conform to the big shots with all the money. It wasn't the best movie of the 3, by far, but as I said earlier, if you think of it as just the last half of Reloaded, which it is, it's not too bad I suppose. Plus the ending leaves it open for that new online game, The Matrix Online, which is good. When it comes to choosing my favorite though, it's gotta be the original Matrix. The shock value of knowing this world wasn't real, and rather a program to enslave humanity, was one of the most original and innovative ideas for a movie thus far.

Anyhow, the trilogy is finally over. It's a shame to see it go, but I know it will live on to be one of the greatest trilogies of all time.

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    the Bro's weren't able to finish their movie the way they wanted to, and rather had to conform to the big shots with all the money.
    Lesson here, GL is a genious for placing himself in a position to make the SW prequels the way HE wants to...without needing "big shots with all the money."

18. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I'm going to see it Saturday at Cinemark at 3:30.

Were the lines very long? Was the theater very crowded. I'm trying to figure out how early I want to get there.

19. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    based on how the reviews are going i'd say get there 2 minutes before the showing, if you want to see the previews, or 2 minutes after the showing if you don't.

20. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Very funny.

And the showing we went to wasn't sold out, as 10AM showings on Wednesday almost never are.

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    the Battle of Zion has been one of the best scifi battle scenes in quite a long time (even AOTC)
    That's interesting that you say that, because on the "HBO: First Look" special they talked alot about how so much time/effort/money went into that one scene...as some do on the entire picture. I think the battle in AOTC was different, because the war served as the backdrop for the eventual Obi-Wan/Anakin/Dooku matchup. Perhaps if they would have shown more of the ground battle (Mace, Aayla, Kit Fisto commanding) it would have had that same kind of intensity...but the focus of the story was getting to the hanger duel. Let's see how Episode III does!

22. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, if it makes any sense at all... I had a certain vision of how I thought everything might play out based upon certain facts I knew about the general storyline of all the films, similar to fans and the Star Wars prequels. In that respect, I had to judge the movie based upon the Revolutions I was expecting with the Revolutions that I got. That being said...

SPOILERS BELOW

DON'T
    READ
    IF
    YOU
    HAVEN'T
    SEEN
    IT
    YET

First off, I have to give massive props to Mary Alice, the new Oracle. I thought Gloria Foster was so awesome that no one else could pull it off. But with some nice writing by the Wachowskis and a great performance by Mary Alice, the Oracle's appearance changing was pretty seamless. NICE SAVE LARRY AND ANDY!

I'm still sorta confused about the whole Trainman program and the Metro station. I got that it was the place where programs from the machine world (the real world) are shipped into the Matrix, but it still seemed a little confusing. I really liked Sati. It was nice to see Neo's interaction with a child program.

I thought the fight scene in Hel was great, it was a nice connection with the first film. Plus it developed Seraph's character more. However, I thought the obligate dance in Hel was the worst of the three films... even worse than Zion in Reloaded. I loved the dialogue the whole time Trinity, Morpheus, and Seraph were trying to get to the Merovingian to make a deal. Examples: "You've fought your way through Hel to get here," "I'm sick of this poodoo."

I thought the pace was kinda slow from the beginning until it was time for everyone to part ways. But after that, the movie got just got better. I loved another connection with the first movie in the goodbye between Neo and Morpheus and it being an honor. I know that in real life Keanu and Laurence have become quite good friends since making the movies, and I really thought it was translated well on screen.

The whole confrontation with Bane was cool. It was nice to see Neo and Trinity in a fight outside the Matrix for once... I liked how gritty and dirty it was compared to the smooth, precise fights in the Matrix. Plus Bane's dialogue when he was holding Trinity hostage was great, talking about all the times he chased her. I also liked that in Reloaded didn't know what he was supposed to do, and yet in Revolutions he now knows exactly what he has to do, or rather "has the sight," despite losing his eyes.

The battle of Zion was just amazing. All the sentinel and APU activity was great. If a majority of this movie had to be outside the Matrix, at least the battle of Zion made up for it. Very suspenseful all the way through. Plus once again I liked the minor character development for Mifune, Kid, and Zee. And although technically a major character, I also liked a lot more Niobe in this movie. The Wachowskis did a good job of establishing her in the Enter the Matrix game and it was cool seeing that continued in Revolutions.

I found Trinity's death to be really powerful. If you've stayed a faithful fan through all three movies, you become somewhat attached to the characters. Carrie-Anne Moss had a great monologue and gave the scene the right amount of drama it deserved. I also found this to be necessary for the storyline, because the Matrix seems to follow the archetype of most hero stories, and in order for the hero to confront his enemy, he has to lose something dear to him. Sure a happy ending with Trinity living would have been alright, but I thought it was more appropriate she died.

Deus Ex Machina was impressive. Very cool conceptually. Then there was...

The Super Brawl. I am a big DBZ fan. I've been awaiting a live-action DBZ movie for a few years now, and as Will said, this was essentially a DBZ fight. All the rain and lightning really set the tone for this deep dark epic battle. It was very well done.

See, I had always envisioned Neo doing the punch-thingy into Smith and somehow neutralizing him as he infected other people. But going back to the first movie, and seeing Smith's motivation in Reloaded, it

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    it developed Seraph's character more
    How? By showing that he can kick anyone's (except Neo) ###? Don't get me wrong, he served his purpose (guide/###-kicker) for the group while Neo was away...but his character has as much development as Darth Maul.

Keanu and Laurence have become quite good friends since making the movies
    Anyone who invests that amount of their lives to a project is going to develop a certain fondness for the people they worked with. After completing the LOTR trilogy, many of the cast members got the elvish word for "friend" (or something similar) tatooed on themselves (somewhere around the ankle I think???)

Bane's dialogue when he was holding Trinity hostage was great
    Ian Bliss does the BEST Agent Smith impersonation EVER...he really made that scene seem possible.

24. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I saw it at 3:30 Saturday afternoon and the theater was pretty full. Only the first 2 rows up front had any empty seats.

Warning
    Spoilers

It was better than I was lead to believe. But then I guess I'm not as much a Matrix geek as I am a SW one. My brother who is was disappointed. He wanted a big smackdown and more of a good triumph over evil with the destruction of the Matrix. Even though he knows intellectually that to destroy the Matrix would destroy everyone in it he wanted the emotional satisfaction of it being destroyed. However I liked it a lot. Jada ROCKS! The Zion scenes were awesome. As the machines came pouring out of the hole my mouth just dropped. Although I should say I expected the kid to die doing something herioic instead of living after doing something heroic.

Krash did you have a Farscape moment when they did a Mexican standoff in the club? Which was an awesome scene.

End
    Spoilers

the fact that the Bro's weren't able to finish their movie the way they wanted to, and rather had to conform to the big shots with all the money.

How did the brothers want to end the movie?

I think people don't know how to react while watching movies anymore. We were the only ones laughing or making any other noises. Except for one "He** Yeah!" from some guy in the back during the fight for Zion. We would laugh or yell and then a heartbeat later other people would as if we were telling them they were allowed.

Now if only its at the Imax in Columbus when we go to Mid-Ohio. I think I'd like to see in Imax.

25. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I saw it Saturday and loved it! I plan on seeing it again at the IMAX theater here in Boston. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.