main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Matrix: The Path Of Neo

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MovieTrailerMusic, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    This is a game that I'm definately going to have to rent.

2. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    i absolutely loved enter the matrix. if the controls for this are the same, i will be buying it. guaranteed.

3. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002

From what the IGN article says, it sounds like it won't be out for a coouple of weeks. I'm assuming in time for 'Black Friday'

4. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Well it's out. Anyone get it yet? Im debating buying it or renting it. I definitely want to play it, but i want to know how good it is first. Anyone play it?

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    They changed the ending to have you fight giant mecha-Smith. And also giant red ants.

Yeah, I'm going to pass.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    For my sins, I'm enjoying this game a lot more now, having obtained it for Xbox. I'm currently on the "Matrix Reloaded" part of the game, and I pretty much avoid using the guns now.

Another problem is that Neo will auto-target people you can't even see yet, or failing that, will stay targeted on the last person you've killed. It's *** t like that that's hugely frustrating. I found that when I do have to use the guns, I have to keep clicking the left stick to recenter the camera, but that doesn't always work.

As for the graphical issues...I know people were complaining about low framerates, but I was led to believe that it depends on the model of Xbox you have, seeing as I've had nothing like that while I'm playing it.

I also heard that this game was rushed out as well, due to falling sales on the part of Atari. Then again, though...the game has been in development for years, so I don't think it's any excuse. Other than the "Mecha-SmithZilla" bits, I haven't read any of the ending stuff yet, and was actually NDA'd on saying anything about it, so I won't even comment.

And Jack Thompson apparently makes a cameo in the game.

7. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Is the combat complex and enjoyable tho?

8. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    So I've been hearing that the end of the game is a complete revamp of "Revolutions" ending. So much so that it feels like a self parody. I'm skipping the game the game mechanics sound pretty lame. Only one button for attacks? Makes the game sound monotonous. I just want to see if the ending really is as ridiculous as I've heard.

9. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    IGN wrote an early preview "review" of this game and it was very positive. Apparently they've really pushed the envelope of what consoles can do (in this generation.) I'm very interested in seeing what a review of the finished product says...

10. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    All of IGN's reviews are positive.

11. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    It's true... IGN is a bit too nice, and the other place I go to (Gamespot) is a bit too rough. I usually find my opinion somewhere in between.

12. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    The keyword is preview. Lets be realistic here previews don't do a good job of telling gamers how a game will end up. In fact I don't think I've ever read a negative preview. The purpose of a preview is for the dev's to build hype, not for a journalist to slam the games flaws. However once the time for reviews come around all bets are off. I bet you that glowing Matrix preview will end up looking nothing like their review. Happens all the times.

Incidently saw the ending this morning. They really gave the big one finger salute to the Revolutions ending.

13. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    You're right, it was a preview. The guy didn't even get to play the game. That's why I'm really wanting some real hands-on reviews before I put it on my wish list. It was worth reading though.

I find IGN's rating system and review to be fairly at even par with myself - MOST of the time. I didn't agree at all with their rating of the first BATTLEFRONT, I think they missed the point and focused too much on comparing to the big dog shooters of the time. But, anyways, most of the time - they are relatively accurate.

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i'm thinking i'm gonna head out tomorrow morning and pick this one up.

As much as people diss "Enter the Matrix", i thought the game was pretty fun, so long as you weren't in one of the super-lame driving levels.

So if no one else has been able to really give a hands-on review before then, i'll do my best :)

15. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Wow...just wow. I beat the game in half the time you should be able to. And just....wow. Im still playing it for kicks. This game kicks ass. And I didnt even like Reloaded too much, and this game makes it better. Wow....I still like this game. I liked Enter the Matrix, and this one too. Good golly...damn Matrix bashers.

16. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    more reviews - gameplay? graphics? story? replayability? bonuses?

17. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    This game is bad.

There might have been a good game in it, but it is hidden under mountains of gliches, poor targeting system, and tedious level design.

The melee combat is cool, but eventually you start performing the same move again and again.

" I'm fighting Agents!"
    20 Agent fights later
    " Oh. Is there anything on Tv?"

Some of the moves are nice, like the ability to semi fly and to stop and reflect bullets, but it's not enough to make up for all the flaws in this. If you must play this game, rent it, don't buy it. Or wait 3 weeks for it to fall into the 20 dollar bin.

18. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    You know, Soontir-Fel, your just like my friends. They say the exact damn thing. And I ask them if they pulled off all the advanced moves. They said we didnt even bother. To enjoy this game, you have to get into all the big combos and focus moves.

TMPON bashers can kiss my ass.

19. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I did pull off the big moves. But it still sucks.

And even if I had fun with playing it, the gliches still make this a barely functional game. It makes KOTOR II look refined. Hell it makes Enter the Matrix look perfect in comparison.

20. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Must be a pretty damn poor game if pulling off combos is original, masterful gameplay and we're really in trouble if this game is "pushing the boundaries of this generation of console"

21. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i went out this morning and picked up "Path of Neo"..

Had about an hour and half to try it out before i got to work..

I'm still not quite sure what to think.

At first, i didn't like it at all. You start the game, and right off the bat your in combat against wave after wave of enemies with very little clue of what to do.. I made it up to Agent Smith, and then lost. At that point, i realized that this was the mechanism used to determine your skill level. Cute.

I went thru all of the training programs (some were fun. That kung-fu one with the sword was REALLY frustrating. It felt like i was just pounding on the buttons. Sometimes i would get caught up by about 5 guys and they would kick my butt, and sometimes i would completely own 5 guys. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it went one way or the other). The shooting system COMPLETELY sucks. I hold down my target button. I'm on the first floor, and it targets a guy up on the second floor I CAN'T EVEN SEE YET. Hhhhhrrrr.

However, when i got to the spar with Morpheus, i actually started having alot of fun with the game. I made it thru the race against Morpheus (where you actually start to employ alot of your matrixy moves) and.. The control for that stuff actually isn't bad. When i get home tonite, i plan on playing the level where you're IN the matrix for the first time. Should be interesting.

22. masterluke9

masterluke9 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    On the level where you have to rescue Roland it keeps telling me to shoot something. What and where is it?

23. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

Sounds to me like it isn't much of anything. if it's worse than the original, I don't want it.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What skill level did it decide for you? It gave me Master.

25. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I also got Master. I made it to the point where you were fighting Smith, and i made the mistake of trying to run from him. As i've found out, you NEVER try to run from an Agent. They just paste you with bullets in the behind.

Incidentally, an update:

I made it up to the point in the Reloaded Section of the game where you have to do the missions to cover the various Captains as they escape.

I am really enjoying this game. If you're a Matrix fan, the stuff that they chose to expand on is actually pretty interesting. I still don't quite get what that upside-ghost train thing was all about, and getting Agent Smith to actually STAY on the tracks long enough to get hit by the train was a bit of a pain, but otherwise this is a pretty cool little game.

I really liked the idea of that one guy who you freed who had actually figured out for himself how to bend the rules in the Matrix. I almost hope you get to fight alongside him again at some point.

Has anyone actually been able, in that level where you free the Security Guard in the church, to take down those 5 SWAT members in the 30 seconds WITHOUT using a grenade?

Hopefully the game continues to be this entertaining.

On the surface, the combat system seems limited, but it's actually got more depth to it then meets the eye. You just have to learn the proper button combinations for the various moves and ignore the ones the computer suggests to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.