main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Matrix, the SW PT, and LotR: Which Trilogy will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ElfStar, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Hello everyone. Jabbadabbadoo's old thread comparing LotR with TPM was erased, which I think is a shame, because it was quit interesting. So in the interest of returning to that topic, I present this thread.

First, my thoughts on each movie individually.

The Matrix:

A well-told and interesting story. The acting isn't special, and the characters aren't that moving, but it gets by on a creative plot and innovative action.

*** stars(out of 5)

TPM:

A film that too often does not know what it wants to be, and too often innappropriately childish. Add to that clumsy direction and you have a problematic film. Their are a few good moments, too bad the're outweighed by the film's sheer mediocrity.

** stars

Attack of the Clones:

A film that is mostly entertaining, although there are some major flaws.

The film starts off well enough, the atrocious acting of the opening scene withstanding. The introduction to Obi-Wan and Anakin is quite good. Too bad it never really develops enough. The love story, on the other hand... shudder. There is some good action towards he end though.

*** stars

The Fellowship of the ring:

An all-around outstanding film, and although it is not flawless, a film that delivers on many levels. The acting is top-notch, the story engaging, and the characters compelling. My favorite film of the last few years.

**** stars

So what are your thoughts on these films and their respective trilogies? How are they similar and how are they differant? What are the flaws and advantages of each?

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Are you wondering if they will all stand the test ot time with people who rate the films the way you have?

I am guessing, Lord of the Rings.

All of them will likely stand the test of time with me.

3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    The Matrix is so overrated it's sick. In ten years it'll be considered dated. I never cared for it and have no interest in seeing any sequels. Kenanu Reeves is moronically "dude"-a-rifical in EVERYTHNG.

I've never seen LOTR...no interest in it. I never was a fan of the books which are from a genre I find flat and univolving. I may see the movie on video if a friend rents it or something like that.

So, I guess my vote would go for SW...big surprise! Although I would only say that OT is "timeless". With 2 out of 3 down, I'd say most people wont be watching the PT 20-30 years from now compared to the OT. Face it, the FX of ALL of the movies will be dated then...the OT stays more timeless because of a better an more emotionally involving storyline.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That's funny, because they all share the same storyline.

5. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    In the grand sweep of history, I think LotR and the Star Wars saga will both be much loved for generations to come.

My personal feeling is that LotR will go down as a very good adaption of a great novel, be well respected etc..

Star Wars is sort of unique in that it's an original story. But to my dismay I fear that in ten years or so the OT might begin to look really dated to the young-uns. So possibly an FX blitz on the OT and the saga will keep its fans for thirty years or so.

Or something. I dunno really.

6. mr_mustard

mr_mustard Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    The strength of the story is what makes a film timeless - not the SFX.
    If future generations need to re-vamp an old film because it looks 'dated'...well that's sad.
    Why not just accept that any film (e.g the OT) is product of it's time? It's the story that matters and if future generations are more preoccupied with the look than the substance, then they shouldn't be watching it.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Star Wars

ST

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Star Wars OT and the LOTR trilogy will be valuable video commodities for decades to come, but the PT will live on as a sort of parasitic attachment to the OT, the thing you'll be forced to buy to get to the OT.

The Matrix is a fun cross-genre film that unfortunately has been so copied and parodied that it has become a cliche of itself, meaning that the sequels are likely to look even more like tired self-parodies.

9. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I agree with Jabba. Matrix 2 will probably open big, but the days of Neo "whoa" Anderson are numbered. Bullet time don't cut it no more.
    LOTR is quite good, I suppose (not like the book, which was coarse and irritating).
    The Star Wars prequles are both good and bad, but more good.

So the answer is Harry Potthead! :)

10. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    What about the Howard The Duck trilogy?

It was clear to me at the end of the first one there was more to come!I'm waiting.....waiting.....

well anyway I'm looking forward to SW3(sounds famialiar),Matrix Reloaded,and the Two Towers.It's all good.

11. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    i would say lord of the rings has the best chance. then the matrix films. th pt really is not very good, its never gonna be a classic. it doesnt have that aura about it that anh had...where people remember sitting there being "blown away" and such. people keep saying that anh got slammed as much as tpm and aotc but that is not true. anh was nominated for a bunch of oscars after all, tpm was not, nor will attack of the clones. the more i think about lotr, the more i find places i would have improved it, but the fact remains in 30 people will look back on it remembering that it was a smash with the critics, and that it was breathtaking and left a lot of people speechless. i think ttt and rotk will also get lots of oscar nominations but probably neither of them will win best picture

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    never gonna be a classic

You don't know that. 30 years in the future, when the next generation of SW fans see the PT, how do you know that it will never be held as a classic. It's already a classic to many gusher types, me included.

As I have said time and again, nobody knows what the future will bring. Nobody knows how the PT will be treated in the future.

ST

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Lord of the Rings and The Matrix are okay, but neither are TPM.

Man that movie rules! :)

14. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Lord of the Rings and The Matrix are okay, but neither are TPM.

Thank God for that! [face_laugh]

15. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The PT will be judged alongside the OT in the future, as one big story, so its pointless to try and seperate them. After Ep3 it will just be the Star Wars Saga, end of story.

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    The Matrix: I've never seen this and don't have much interest in doing so. Nevertheless, I'm doubtful that it'll age well.

SW PT: By 2015, I think few people will watch this. People will still be watching the OT, though.

LOTR: This will stand the test of time. This will be a classic movie trilogy.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    I think a few people will still watch this

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

ST

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    By 2015, I think few people will watch this. People will still be watching the OT, though.

This will be kind of hard, since they'll all be packaged together. Or else they'll each be packaged individually, and people will buy them all since they're all part of one story. Kind of like how many people on these boards seem not to like ROTJ, but it's still considered a classic and still watched a lot.

19. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Ah, 10-15 years from now, all of these films will be avaiable online for easy download, so you can see them individually with ease.

But I have to say that all three will stand the test of time. Why wouldn't they? They all grossed close to a billion worldwide. You're asking about 3 of the biggest movie sagas ever.

Of course, the difference with Matrix and FOTR is that they are the first installments, so there is still a chance for the sequels to go in the tank and people to lose interest. Although I highly doubt that will happen with either.

And to those who have not seen the Matrix, but have written off, are you serious?? Whatever happened to an informed decision?

Next year will be All Matrix all the time, so people better get used to it. It was the most profitable film for Warner Bros. in its history ($60M budget). So I am scared to imagine the pub campaign they are going to mount with 2 sequels in one year. And of course we have TTT coming too. And T3. And SM 2 in 2004. And the Hulk and..

And of course let us not forget the TRUE classic saga of our time, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The prequel starts filming next year, with Jet Li playing a young Li Mu Bai. CTHD is already considered a classic and masterpiece of moviemaking (and it also had a $15M budget, FYI).

As someone said earlier, it's all good.

20. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't believe that the trilogies wouldn't be available seperately. The marketing people wouldn't be that stupid.

I agree that the Matrix will not age well. It was an entertaining movie, but it was a product of its time. It will quickly become dated.

The PT, I believe, is simply not good enough to be considered classic. People will remember them because the're part of the series, just like people remember Star Trek 1,5, and 9. No one will talk about how great they are, though.

The Lord of the Rings, I believe, has the best chance of being a classic like The OT. The next two definitely have the potential to be better than the first, which was also quite good.

Oh, and does anyone else like talking about the actors who have been in more than one of these series?

For instance, there's Christopher Lee, who's in Lord of the Rings and the PT. He's a big LotR an, been one since the books came out, apparently.

And Hugo Weaving, or "Agent Smith", is in the Lord of the Rings also. He was better in The Matrix, though.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    The trilogies are being sold together because they are ONE saga.

ST

22. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    They will still likely be sold seperately as well.

23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    The Matrix lacked heart and originality, IMO, so I doubt it'll be remembered as anything more than a cool action film, but maybe the sequels will change that.
    LOTR is off to a great start, so unless PJ really screws up the next two, it will be remembered as one of the greatest fantastic cinema classics.
    The PT will be remembered because
    a) Episode III will be so good people won't be able to ignore the prequels
    b) It's Star Wars, stoopid! :)

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    "Episode III will be so good people won't be able to ignore the prequels"

I'm hoping Episode 3 will be so good, it won't matter anymore what anyone thinks of Episodes 1 and 2.

25. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    DARTH HOMER- So did TPM have "heart and originality"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.