main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The matte hangar of ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've always loved the shot of the Lambda-class shuttle docking at the equatorial bay of the DSII. For some reason, that matte shot looks better than ancient 80s effects and just has a sort of beauty to it.

2. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    i agree. i think alot of the effects in the original trilogy hold up very well. which is just one of the many reasons i feel that the special editions are nothing more then tampering and are a slap in the face to those who worked hard without the predominant use of computers to create the amazing visuals of the star wars galaxy.

3. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Actually, the matte hangar shot that comes to mind from your thread title, is the Falcon painting in the background of Han and Lando. Which is horrible, especially, Lando walking towards it.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *shrugs* I never paid much attention to the matte paintings on the Rebel shots--I'd have to take a peek at it again to be sure.

5. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah, the matte paintings from the OT in general and ROTJ in particular are quite gorgeous. (My roommate thinks I'm nuts 'cause I always point them out :p)

6. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Actually, the matte hangar shot that comes to mind from your thread title, is the Falcon painting in the background of Han and Lando. Which is horrible, especially, Lando walking towards it.

That's true. I noticed it the very first time I saw ROTJ. All the other matte paintings in the OT were wonderful and didn't look fake, like the shot in question.

7. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya the matte painting with the Falcon in it on the rebel cruiser always erked me because of how fake it looked. I couldnt help but laugh. It was decent, but they could have done a better job.

8. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I remember it looking very cool in the theatre; but now that i've seen it on tv for so many years..yeah it doesn't hold up very well..talking about the falcon and lando scene.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah the "Lando's backdrop" matte painting was probably one matte painting that wasn't effective in the originals.

The preceeding matte painting in the estbalishing shot of the hangar, however, was freaking gorgeous.

10. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I don't think it's the painting that's bad. I think its how it is 'comped' in which makes it look bad. It looks dulled and faded but I think they could easy fix that.

11. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Actually, the matte hangar shot that comes to mind from your thread title, is the Falcon painting in the background of Han and Lando. Which is horrible, especially, Lando walking towards it."

No, the matte painting was fine, it was the lighting on the set and the compositing into the final picture that made it look bad.

12. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    But the DVD fixed it by making the whole shot darker.

The matte painting of the Death Star hangar is one of the most beautiful scenes in the whole saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.