main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Meaning of Son

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediPhoenixKatie, Apr 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Great post! :D

2. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Post more! Post more! Post more!

3. JediPhoenixKatie

JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2001
    Good Morning! Anyone alive out there :) If you are here is the next part! Hope you like!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 5

By: Katie

~*~
    Mace had been correct about Ceirra?s heartbreaking testimony. There was not a dry eye in the courtroom, even the Judge?s seemed overly bright.

"Would you like me to ask for a recess Mrs. Lars?" Beta asked.

Ceirra shook her head as she wiped the tears from her cheeks. "No, I?d like to continue."

"If you?re sure then," Beta said before she continued her questioning. "Is the fact you will never be able to have another child the only reason you wish to have Obi-wan returned to you?"

"Of course not," Ceirra replied. "I love Obi-wan dearly. He is my child! I constantly worry about him. If I don?t hear from him for a long period of time I?m sick with worry that he?s been hurt on one of those awful missions! Almost losing his memory. Being left on a war torn planet!" She shook her head violently at the thought. "I can?t stand it! I want him home where I know he will be safe and where his family can watch over him."

"Thank you, Mrs. Lars," Beta concluded. She turned to Mace before returning to her seat and said, "Your witness."

Mace approached the stand and gave a comforting look to Ceirra. "Please know, Mrs. Lars, that the Jedi are very sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, Master Windu."

"We know that you gave your son to the Jedi willingly, isn't that right?"

"Yes, that is true. But, I?ve always regretted it."

"Always?"

"Of course! He is my son and I am his mother! It is my right to bring him up and watch him grow. I want to know he is being well cared for!"

"But isn?t that why you gave him to the Jedi in the first place?" Mace saw Ceirra?s eyes grow large and he knew he had struck a nerve. He picked up a small stack of papers from the table and presented them to the court. "The Jedi keep records of every child we are given. This is the report from the Jedi Master who brought Obi-wan to the temple. I ask that this report be submitted into evidence, your honor."

"So entered," the Judge said.

Mace handed the papers to Ceirra. "Would you please read the highlighted section, Mrs. Lars?"

"Alon and Ceirra Lars," she read, "have granted my request to bring their Force sensitive son, Obi-wan, to the Jedi Temple for training. The young couple claim they wish to give their son to the Jedi so he may have the best home possible. They do not believe they are emotionally or financially ready to care for a child." With shaky hands, Ceirra handed the papers back to Mace and sat in silence until he addressed her.

"Was what you just read to us in this report true?"

"Yes. But that doesn't mean we don't love him!"

"You have another son now, correct?"

"Yes, our young son, Owen."

"And have you become financially stable since this report was written?"

"Objection, your honor!" Beta called. "Relevance!"

"Goes to credibility, your honor," Mace argued.

"Objection is overruled," the Judge agreed. "Please answer the question," he said to Ceirra.

"Well, yes we are doing much better financially since then."

"So you gave Obi-wan to the Jedi, where he has lived for all these years, because you were not ready for a child. But now that it is convenient for you, you will pull him from the life he knows and loves?"

"Objection!" Beta cried.

"Overruled!" the Judge shot back. "I would like to hear what Mrs. Lars has to say."

"Mrs. Lars?" Mace questioned.

Ceirra opened her mouth, but no sound came out. She seemed to be at a loss for words. She looked to her husband, then to Beta, and then to her son. She even glanced at Qui-gon as if to ask for help, but found nothing.

"Please answer the question, Mrs. Lars," urged the Judge.

"That's alright, your honor," Mace said. "I don't think she needs to. I have no more questions." Mace nodded to Ceirra. "Thank you, Mrs. Lars." Mace returned to his seat and chose to ignore Beta's icy glare.

"You may step down," the Judge

4. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh, this is so good! The tension is almost unbearable!

5. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    Go Mace! :)

Post soon!

6. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Oooooh, do you have Part 6 done too? :D :D :D Post post post!!!

7. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I wonder what Beta has against the Jedi, or does she just want the opportunity to take them on and win? Sort of a notch on the briefcase thing. I'm really enjoying this and look forward to more.

8. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Thanks for all the super feedback guys! :D I'll have the next part out soon!

9. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    'soon' as in...?

:D

10. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Hi there everyone!!! I hope everyone is doing well this morning!!! Again, thanks for all the great feedback! Here is the next part! Enjoy!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 6

~*~

?Qui-gon? Qui, are you even listening to me??

Qui-gon, who had been sitting on the sofa and staring blankly at a wall, had not heard a word of what Mace had said. He shook his head clear and said apologetically to his friend, ?I?m sorry, Mace. I?m a bit preoccupied. What did you say??

Mace looked at him sadly and repeated his words. ?I said tomorrow when you take the stand I am going to bring up everything in my questioning. Xanatos, your hesitation to take Obi-wan as your apprentice, Melida/Dann: everything. I know these may be hard subjects for you to speak about, but we can?t make it look like we?re hiding anything. If we bring everything out into the open that will give Beta less to go on.?

Qui-gon sighed. ?If you think it will strengthen the case and help our chances I?ll speak of those things until my voice has failed me.?

Mace nodded and stood from his chair. ?I should go and get things ready for tomorrow. Are you sure you?re going to be all right here by yourself? Is there anything you need??

Qui-gon smiled at his Council member friend. Every night since the court order deeming Obi-wan remain with his parents, Mace had asked him that every night before he left. And every night Qui-gon?s answer was the same. ?I?ll be all right, Mace. Thank you.?

?If you?re sure then,? Mace said as he stood and made his way to the door. ?I?ll see you tomorrow. Try and get some sleep, okay??

Qui-gon nodded and thanked his friend again. When Mace had gone, Qui-gon entered his Padawan?s room for his other new nightly ritual. He pulled out the box where Obi-wan stored his numerous drawings, sat on the bed, and looked through every one of them. If he closed his eyes he could see the boy sitting on the bed, with his window wide open, drawing whatever crossed his imagination. Qui-gon hoped beyond all hope to see this for the rest of his days??but with his eyes opened instead of closed.

~*~

The next day in court, although it was difficult, Qui-gon did answer the painful question Mace asked him. He told of Xanatose? turn to the Dark side and how the betrayal left him a cold and lonely Master. He told of how he had not wanted to take Obi-wan as his Padawan at first??too afraid to trust or care for anyone again that deeply. And, perhaps most painful of all, he told of Melida/Dann. He told of how he gave Obi-wan the choice to stay or leave, of how he felt betrayed again when the boy chose to stay, and of how he finally realized how wrong he was.

?And now that you and Obi-wan have gotten past these difficult times, what would you say your relationship is like now??

?Our bond runs very deep. He is the first person I have let into my heart since Xanatos? betrayal. Obi-wan helped me find the person I was before I lost Xanatos. I find more joy in his presence and his learning than anything else in the galaxy. I love him like a son and I?m not sure what I would do without him. I had always hoped I?d never have to find out.?

?Thank you, Master Jinn,? Mace said and turned to Beta. ?Your witness.?

Beta stood and slowly walked to face Qui-gon. ?One Padawan who turned to Darkness and another left on a war torn planet. That doesn?t sound like very good track record.?

"The Jedi have a saying. ?We are not saints, but seekers.? Despite what
    many people think, Jedi are able to make mistakes. Xanatos and leaving
    Obi-wan on Melida/Dann were my two greatest mistakes. Two mistakes that I believed, with Obi-wan?s help, I have been able to work past."

"Let?s talk about your former apprentice??your apprentice who turned to
    darkness." Beta paced the floor but did not let her eyes stray from
    Qui-gon?s. "Turning to evil is the very worst thing for a Jedi, is it not?
    Xanatose turned to darkness while under your care. Should we be fearing for Obi-wan?s safety as well, then?"

The

11. Kim-kenobi

Kim-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 1999
    MORE MORE MORE.

Kim B :)

12. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh good, good, good! I'm glad Obi-Wan told everyone how he feels! The judge should listen!

13. TrianaJinn

Apr 14, 2001
    Great post! More, please! :)

14. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    That was great! I'm glad Obi-Wan finally told them how he feels about this.

Post soon!!!

15. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Oh, cool idea with the drawings!
    (If I'm thinking of the right thing)
    :)

16. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Could beeeeeeee ;)
    hehehehehe!!!
    Thanks for all the great feedback!!! Hope you keep enjoying! :)

17. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Well, I bet Obi's father wasn't at all happy with that little outburst, but how can anyone doubt that Obi and Qui-Gon are already a family? I hope Mace's idea works.

18. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Morning everyone!!! Sorry I'm a little bit later than usual with my post! Didn't have to wake up as early to go to school this morning :D Here is the next part!!! Hope you guys enjoy!!! THANK YOU for the feedback!!!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 7

~*~

Obi-wan watched as the Judge entered the courtroom. The young Padawan had been surprised he was being allowed to sit in court after what he had done the day before. Though he had been reprimanded by both his father and Beta??more so by his father, who came close to breaking several objects while he yelled at his son. However, both his father and Beta still wanted him to be in the courtroom during the trial. But they made it perfectly clear that if he made one more outburst he would not be allowed to attend the remainder of the trial. So he sat quietly, stealing glances at Qui-gon when his father was not looking, and prayed into the Force that this all would be over soon.

?This court is back in session,? the Judge informed them as they sat. ?Master Windu, do you wish to call your next witness??

?Yes, your Honor,? Mace replied. ?I would like to recall Obi-wan Kenobi to the stand.?

Obi-wan was stunned for a moment. Why would Master Windu be recalling him? What else could he possibly say that he hadn?t already said? While trying to ignore his father?s glare and with these questions running around his mind he made his way to the stand.

?You like to draw, don?t you Obi-wan?? the Master asked him, holding a large envelope in his hand.

?Yes, very much,? he replied.

?What sort of things to you like to draw??

?I-I?m not sure. Just whatever comes to mind.? He watched with confusion as Mace opened the envelope and revealed some very familiar pieces of paper.

?Are these your drawings??

?Yes, those are mine.?

?Can you tell us what they are and why you drew them??

?Objection!? Beta jumped to her feet. ?Your Honor, what possible relevance could this have??

?Good question, Miss Balum,? the Judge agreed. ?Master Windu, would you mind telling us what this is all about??

?Your Honor, it has been proven in many psychological tests that people find creative ways to express themselves and their emotions. Obi-wan expresses himself through art. Through his drawings I hope to prove his emotions from before and during this trial and the effect it is having on him.?

?Your Honor, I see no point in...?

?That?s enough, Miss Balum,? the Judge quieted. ?Master Windu is correct about creative expression. I would like this looked into, but I do think we should leave the actual evaluation of the drawings up to an expert.? The Judge turned to the Padawan and asked gently, ?Obi-wan, have you done any drawings since this trial has started??

?Y-yes, your Honor.?

?Very well then,? the Judge said with a nod. ?It is the decision of this court that Obi-wan Kenobi meet with a Mind Healer this time tomorrow. I am placing a court order on any drawings he has done up to this point in the trial. They will all be examined by the Mind Healer who will return to us with his or her findings in a later date.?

?Your Honor,? Beta protested further. ?If you insist on allowing this I ask that the court use my expert for the evaluation.?

?Do you have any objections to this, Master Windu??

?No, Your Honor.?

?Your request is granted then, Miss Balum. This court is in recess until tomorrow. Master Windu, Miss Balum, kindly stay behind so we may discuss the choice of mind healer. You may step down for now, Obi-wan.?

Obi-wan gave a small nod and shakily moved away from the stand and to his Mother?s side. He did not dare to look at his father. He knew his father?s eyes would only hold anger and frustration??anger which would more than likely be taken out on him later that night.

~*~

Qui-gon sat and waited for Mace to come from the courtroom. As he sat he watched Obi-wan and his family who were far across the hall, waiting for their own representative to emerge.

Alon was pacing the floors impatie

19. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Poor Obi-Wan! :( I know, it's the most used phrase on the board, but it really applies here. Hope his drawings help to convince the judge to do the right thing. Great post JediPhoenixKatie! :)

20. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Katie that was so good. I hope the drawing help Obi get back with Qui-Gon. Post more soon please.

21. TrianaJinn

Apr 14, 2001
    Awesome post! :D
    I really hope Obi gets to go home with Qui-Gon soon.

22. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    MORE MORE MORE!!! :D

This story is soooo good! I hope Obi gets to go home soon, before these nightmares become a major problem. I dunno why the judge still has to see more evidence; it's quite obvious that Obi wants to stay at the Temple! I hope the pictures will convince him, if he hasn't been convinced already by Obi's pleas...

Post more soon! :)

23. JediPhoenixKatie

Apr 12, 2001
    Hello everyone!!! Happy weekend to all! :D Thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback! *sniff* You make me so happy! :) Here is the next part!!! Hope you like!!!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 8

~*~

"Alon," Ceirra addressed her husband cautiously.  "I?ve been thinking; maybe we should drop the case."  She flinched at the expression on her husband?s face.

"What do you mean, ?drop the case??" he demanded.  "This Mind-Healer business isn?t something to get *that* worked up over."

"No, no, dear.  It?s not that.  I?ve just really begun to think that maybe it would be best for Obi-wan to become a Jedi. He seems to really want to and Master Jinn obviously cares about him a great deal.  Perhaps Obi-wan would be happier here."

Alon?s lips were pressed tightly together??it was a long time before he answered.  Finally, he did.  "We?re not dropping the case Ceirra.  We?ve come too far and we?re too close to give up now."

"But?"

"No! No, ?buts.?  Now, you were the one who wanted Obi-wan back so badly.  When I told you I was planning to take these measures you were all for it.  I promised you we wouldn?t leave this planet without our son and you said you were going to hold me to that promise."

Ceirra looked as if she was going to argue, but Alon held up a silencing hand.

"Don?t question yourself, Ceirra.  You know we?re doing the right thing.  We almost have the high and mighty Jedi beat! And it will serve them right!  They who think they can rase my son better than I can! So now is not the time to start second guessing yourself."  Alon glanced at the wall chrono. "We need to get going.  It?s almost time for Obi?s appointment."

~*~

Obi-wan sat quietly as he waited to be called into the Mind-Healer?s office.  Aside from the secretary at the front desk he was alone in the waiting room??his parents had been asked to wait for him in the lobby downstairs.

He felt a little nervous about being questioned by a Mind-Healer.  What would the doctor see in his drawings? Would there be things to see that Obi-wan himself did not?  Should he try and make the man understand that his place was in fact at Qui-gon's side?  Still unsure of what he should say to this man, Obi-wan closed his eyes and released his feelings into the Force, as his Master had always taught him.  Its calm and warmth were still flowing over him when he heard
    a door slide open.

"Obi-wan?"  a tall humanoid said to him.  The man had blue skin that reminded Obi-wan of the color of his lightsaber, and silver hair that matched his shiny eyes.  "I'm Doctor Trel Koveen, but please call me, Trel,"  he said with a kind smile that made Obi-wan feel more at ease.

"Hello, Doct...Trel."  It seemed strange to call this man, who was obviously his superior, by his first name. In all of his experiences, people with titles were very touchy about being recognized as such.

But the blue form in front of him simply smiled and said, "Please come this way."

Obi-wan followed Trel into a very comfortable looking and warm examination room--very unlike the small rooms he stayed in when he went to the Healer with the cold examination tables they always made him sit on.

"Please sit down,"  Trel said and motioned to a chair across from the one he was already sitting in.

Obi-wan practically sank into the self-comforting chair. Although the chair was soft he still felt a hard knot in his stomach, the questions still running around in his mind.  What should I say? What will this man see in me?  What will happen after today?

"I"m sure you have a lot of questions, Obi-wan," the Mind-Healer said as if reading the Padawan's mind.  "But I'm sure one you don't need to ask is why you are here."

Obi-wan nodded.  "I'm here because you need to ask me about my drawings."

"That's right.  Your drawing; among other things.  Tell me, Obi-wan, what do you think about coming to talk to me?"

Obi-wan was almost stunned at this question.  No one had asked him what he thought or what his opinion was of anything during this

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Clap clap clap clap! *crowd gives Trel a standing ovation* You tell her, Trel! Send Obi home! :D

25. TrianaJinn

Apr 14, 2001
    Way to go Trel! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.