The Meaning of Son

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediPhoenixKatie, Apr 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Faith Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Woohoo!! Go Trel! :D

It's nice to see that Ceirra actually cares about her son. Alon should listen to what his wife has to say... but he's too caught up in winning against the Jedi to actually care about Obi. I wonder if it's the way he is, or maybe Alon's been around Beta too much and her attitude towards the case is rubbing off on him...

More soon? [face_mischief]
  2. JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Goooood Morning!!! How is everyone today??? I hope well! Thanks muy muy much for all the great feedback! You guys are the best!!! Here's the next part!!! Almost getting to the end! :eek: :) Thanks again!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 9
    By: Katie

~*~

"Would you please state to the court your name and profession?" the Judge
    asked the blue humanoid on the stand next to him.

"My name is Doctor Trel Koveen. I am a Mind-Healer and I've specialized in working with children and adolescents."

The Judge nodded and motioned for Mace to begin his questioning.

"Doctor Koveen, you had a chance to speak with Padawan Kenobi and examine his drawings, did you not?"

"Yes, that is correct. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday talking with
    Obi-wan about himself and his art."

"And after the discussions you and he had, what did you find?"

"I discovered that, despite what others have told me about the situation,
    Obi-wan?s home should be at the Jedi Temple with Master Jinn."

A murmur erupted in the courtroom at the Mind-Healers statement. Qui-gon felt a wide smile break out over his face when he heard these words. At the table next to him Obi-wan had his head down, but the Master could see the small outline of a smile on his lips as well. Qui-gon also noticed that Alon Lars was speaking what looked like angry words to Beta.

"Order! Order in this court!" the Judge declared and all became silent again. "Please continue, Master Windu."

"Thank you, your Honor," Mace said and turned to Trel again. "This is in
    your expert opinion then, Doctor?"

"Yes, I can assure you it is."

"And what helped you reach your decision?"

"After looking over many of Obi-wan?s drawings and speaking with him in
    depth of his feelings on the matter I am thoroughly convinced that his place is with the Jedi."

Mace picked up papers and a sketchbook from the table. "Are these some of the drawings which helped you come to your decision?"

"Yes, they are."

Mace handed the drawings to Trel and said, "Please explain to the court what these pictures are of and what you interpreted them to mean."

Trel did just this. He showed the court the pictures he and Obi-Wan had looked at and gone over in his office.

The happy drawing of the visit home, the proud sketch of Master and Apprentice after the lightsaber tournament, the sad but hopeful drawing of the ever watchful Qui-gon, and finally the frightening picture of Alon Lars on the back of a rancor and a terrified Obi-wan at its feet.

"It is plain to see in these drawings that Obi-wan does care for his family very much. But it is also clear that he is happiest with the Jedi and feels that is where he belongs. Also,? Trel added, looking at the drawing of the rancor again. ?He has come to fear his father. After the measures Mr. Lars has taken in this trial and his actions towards his son as of late, Obi-wan has come to believe his father?s heart no longer holds any love for him.?

Another bout of whispers overtook the courtroom and Ceirra?s hand covered her mouth in shock. The Judge did not have to say anything this time??one stern look was more than enough to bring silence.

?And what is your opinion of Padawan Kenobi?s assumptions?? Mace asked when all was quiet once more.

Trel gave a sigh and said, ?I have no doubt that Mr. Lars does love his son as much as Obi-wan loves him. But I do have to admit, the fact that he is not able to reassure his son of that love when it is obviously needed makes me worry. Obi-wan is a strong boy and very wise for his age. But he is still a child and children can be insecure at times, especially when they think they are doing something to make their parents or loved ones upset. Although we like to think that children always know we love them no matter what, they need to hear the words spoken to them so they can be reassured and feel confident the love they crave is there with them. I believe this is why Obi-wan contacted Master Jinn through their bond even though it was against the ruling of the court. He
  3. Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I like the Doctor, his cool. I can't wait to red more.
  4. p_stotts Jedi Master

star 4
    Go Trel! You tell her! Whoohoo! :D What will Obi's dad do now, I wonder?
  5. TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Awesome post! :D
    I loved your depiction of Trel on the stand.
  6. Jedi-Faith Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The end is near... that means the beginning of a new one's not far away, right? :D :D :D

Wow! Trel's testimony was amazing! I hope it convinces the judge to make the right choice. And Beta gives me new reasons to dislike her all the time...

Great post! More, please? :D
  7. Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling

star 3
  8. p_stotts Jedi Master

star 4
    Well shoot! I thought it was a new post! Soon? :D
  9. JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Good morning!!! And not to worry p_stotts! A new post for you right now!!! And here's the part you've all been waiting for! :D Do enjoy!!! And thanks SOOOOOO much for all the great feedback!!! You guys are the best!!!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Part 10

~*~

Obi-wan was tense as he sat and waited for the Judge to enter the courtroom. The evening with his parents had been as quiet as the last. There was one significant difference though. His father did not look at him with anger and annoyance, but with what seemed to be pain. Obi-wan assumed that his father hearing that his son believed he didn?t love him had hurt the man greatly. Obi-wan hadn?t meant to cause his father pain but he couldn?t help how he felt.

Even now Alon had made no move to assure his son that he did in fact care for him, leaving Obi-wan to continue wondering what his father?s feelings were??and what his own feelings should be.

With a glance to his side the young Jedi saw his Master calmly sitting with his hands folded on the table. But Obi-Wan also noticed how pale his Master's face seemed, despite his outward composure, and there was a look of dread and nervousness in his eyes.

Obi-wan wanted to run up to the man and embrace him in an attempt to comfort him, but knew it was impossible while he sat under the watchful eyes of his father and Beta. So instead Obi-wan sent a wave of love and light through the Force to his Master. Qui-gon caught it instantly and returned the feeling with that of his own.

Mace seemed to notice the sudden change in the Force. He said nothing, however, and only shifted in his seat. Though it was an unpleasant thought, Obi-Wan knew that Mace also recognised that this might possibly be the last time the two could be together in the Force.

Just as Obi-wan shuddered inwardly at this he heard two simple words that sent shivers down his spine.

?All rise.?

Obi-wan stood stiffly and watched as the white haired Judge entered the courtroom. What had he decided? What would he say? Would he force him to leave Qui-gon and the Jedi? These questions made Obi-wan?s stomach do flip-flops. It was still turning in funny ways when he heard the Judge begin to speak.

?Be seated,? he said and all obeyed.

Obi-wan sat on the very edge of his seat, hands clasped tightly in front of him??he waited.

?I have reviewed the testimony and evidence given in this case and have reached my decision. Before I state my conclusion, does anyone have any last comments they would like to present??

?I do, your Honor,? Ceirra Lars said as she stood. All were surprised by this, especially Alon.

?Ceirra,? he asked in a hushed but stern voice. ?What are you doing??

?What I should have done long ago,? she replied to him and turned back to the Judge. ?Your Honor, I would like to formally drop this case and apologize for bringing it to you in the first place.?

?Ceirra!? her husband cried. ?You can?t!?

?Don?t you tell me what I can and cannot do!? she snapped at him. ?Throughout this trial you have been talking of your rights as a father! Well, this is my right as a mother! I will not stand by and watch while my son retreats from me because he believes you don?t care for him! You complain because you feel you should raise our son rather than the Jedi WE gave him to! If you had looked past the pride you somehow acquired at the start of this trial you might have noticed that Obi-wan, after being brought up by the Jedi, is a polite, sweet, and loving boy. A boy we are hurting by trying to take him away from the only home he knows! I won?t hurt him that way, Alon. And you!? She turned angry eyes to Beta. ?How DARE you try to strengthen your reputation at the expense of my son! You haven?t spoken two words to Obi-wan unless they were to interrogate him! All you care about is winning a case against the Jedi to show how unstoppable you are. Well, I?m not sacrificing my son so you can boost your place in the law business! I?ve had enough!?

?Your Honor,? she tried
  10. p_stotts Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! I smiled through the whole post! Great job!
  11. JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Woophoo! What a great post! I can hardly wait for the conclusion ::bounces up and down:: Wonderful job Katie! :)
  12. Jedi-Faith Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I was grinning through the whole thing too :D

Wonderful post! I hope Alon gets over everything and talks to Obi again...

Can't wait for the conclusion!
  13. jedi_dawn2dusk Jedi Youngling

star 1
    What an incredibley awesome story! The characterizations where perfect and you really captured the bond between Obi and Qui. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful masterpiece.
  14. TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Terrific post! I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion. :)
  15. JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Hi guys!!! I'm so glad that you liked my story!!! All your great feedback made me so very happy :) I hope you like the conclusion! I'll post it as soon as I get it back from my beta reader (HI JANE!!!) :D Thanks again all!!!
  16. JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

Good morning all! Well, here it is! The very last part! I hope you all have enjoyed my fic! Thanks so much for the great feedback! Made me so happy *sniff* Thanks so much. Thank you again to Robin and Jane for all your help!!! Thanks people!!!
    Enjoy!

~*~

The Meaning of Son
    Conclusion

~*~

Obi-wan?s mother had been correct about his father coming to his senses in due time. The following week the young Jedi had received a transmission from the man, who apologized for his behavior and asked for the boy?s forgiveness. Obi-wan, of course, accepted his father?s apology without hesitation and was glad they were on speaking terms again. The Padawan was relieved they put what had happened in the past and moved on??and perhaps come out a little wiser in the end.

Four months later Ceirra invited her son to come stay with them for a few weeks on their home world??Qui-gon was welcome to come as well. It was a bit awkward at first for the Jedi Master. Alon was not yet ready to look Qui-gon in the eye and tried to avoid him as much as possible. However, when the two sat together and watched Obi-wan and Owen play in the snow Alon finally got a chance to know the real Qui-gon Jinn, and found him to be a caring and honorable man who loved Obi-wan as his own child. Qui-gon spoke of Obi-wan the way a proud father would and Alon was finally able to understand why the Jedi was willing to fight so hard for him. As they sat watching the children sliding around in the snow, any remaining anger Alon felt toward the Jedi Master faded away.

?You have a wonderful son in Obi-wan, Alon,? Qui-gon said.

?I think we both do, Qui-gon,? he replied with a smile. ?A wonderful son indeed.?

~*~

Two years had passed since the fateful trial and Obi-wan had grown from a boy to a young man of sixteen. He found that the court-battle had not driven him from his parents, but actually brought them closer together. He spoke and wrote to them more frequently and felt he was able to talk to them more freely than before. He enjoyed hearing of their lives and telling them about his missions?? most of his missions at least. He somehow tended to forget to mention the more dangerous ones to his mother. Not because he didn?t trust her, but because he didn?t want her to worry. He knew she believed in both his and Qui-gon?s abilities but she was still his mother and it was her job to worry about him.

He had received a package from them a few days ago. A lovely hand-bound sketch-book with three new shading pencils. Inside was a note that read:

*Dear Obi-wan,
    Congratulations on your advancement! We are very proud of you!
    Love,
    Dad, Mom, and Owen*

What his family was congratulating him on was his advancing to a new level of his training. Now that he was sixteen, as Jedi tradition goes, he would received the second of two strings that would tie off his Padawan braid, which was now much longer than it had been three years ago, and would be that much closer to realizing his dream of becoming a Jedi Knight. It was quite a step for him, a step he was glad to be taking with his Master at his side.

An outsider might think that an important tradition such as this would call for a grand ceremony, but it was exactly the opposite. The ceremony consisted of two people, the Master and Padawan, who stood together in one of the fantastic gardens in the Jedi Temple.

Qui-gon faced his Apprentice and smiled. As he took the piece of red string and tied it to the end of the Padawan braid he said, ?As I bind this string, so do I bind us together. As your Master I will guide and teach you until our time to part has come. But,? Qui-gon added, and these words were not part of the ceremony. ?Just because we are not Master and Padawan any longer does not mean we will ever truly part. Because, my Obi-wan, no matter what happens, you will always be my son and I will always be with you.?

Obi-wan smiled at his Master?s words. He did not have to question them, because he knew they were true. ?Thank you, M
  17. p_stotts Jedi Master

star 4
    Great ending, Katie! :D Loved every moment of this story! Can't wait for your next one!
  18. Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Awww, this was so sweet. What a nice story with a lovely ending. I really enjoyed reading it. :)
  19. Jedi-Faith Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Beautiful ending! :)

I look forward to reading more stories! :D
  20. JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling

star 3
    AWWWWW! That was perfect! I don't think you could have ended that any better. Wonderful job Katie! :)
  21. TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Terrific ending to a wonderful story! :)
  22. KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That was great! Definitely one of the best stories that I've read. :)
  23. KSkywalker Jedi Master

star 3
    That was Beautiful!!!!!! [face_love]
  24. Rainie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Excellent! I like how Obi-wan's mother finally comes to her senses.
  25. JediPhoenixKatie Jedi Youngling

THANK YOU!!!! I'm so happy that you guys liked my story!!! Stay tuned because there may be more to come! I'm thinking about doing a short story that explains Obi's nightmare. Whatcha think????

THANKS AGAIN SOOOO MUCH!!!

Katie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.