main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The meaning of the Storm in TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tokio_Drifter, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003

When i saw TPM lately it hit me how much attention the storm on Tatooine gets. Several scenes/ shots are build around it. This couldn't be a coincidence, GL was telling us something here!

I believe the storm is a manifestation of the Force, or more specific a manifestation of things to be; the future.

A few things play into this IMO:

-We have Jira who looks like a fortune teller ('my bones are aking')
    -Qui-Gon Jinn obviously feels something, you can tell he's focused on it,
    - Anakin sees Qui-Gon is hiding a lightsaber (his destiny) This moment is presented to him through a gift, the palees (sp?). A bond between him and the Jedi is forged already
    -Who leads them out of the storm? Anakin Skywalker (..ROTJ)
    -Panaka says: 'This storm will slow them down' Actually it is Anakin who's slowing them down

This is obviously an enormous important moment. It is from here they team up and Qui-gon gaines an interest in Anakin for reasons which will shape his destiny.

Is the storm trying to convey an message here? Is it saying 'danger danger!'? A storm can work as an antithesis for clearness...It is a forbode of the darktimes yet to come?

In episode II when Anakin is waiting outside the Lars homestead, we can clearly here a storm in the distance. Another important moment in Anakin his life is about to take shape. Is this related to the first storm?

Your thoughts?

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    No, I think it is just a sandstorm. No big meaning. Just a story element that gets them to stay with anakin.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Excellent topic.

I think it has a dual purpose.
    On one level it causes the heroes to enter Anakin's house and become more friendly with him and Shimi.

It could also act as a metaphor for the coming storm in the galaxy. The chaos which is looming before all their destinies. Eruption of the clone wars, decline of the Jedi and rise of the Empire are all on the horizon. Perhaps the swirling sands are foreshadowing the coming chaos of the galaxy.

"Sandstorms are very, very dangerous."

-Seldon

4. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think the term for it is pathetic falacy (sp?) and as has been mentioned before it's a tool for the author/director to let the audience know some negative event will soon befall the characters through the weather, you see it a lot with thunderstorms and snow. Great observation.

5. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. Lucas's movies have always been shrouded in foreshadowing. Perhaps the storm is one of them.

My take originally was that this was an opportunity for Lucas to present yet another 'cut concept' from the OT.

In Ep6, Luke and Co navigate through a sandstorm to get back to the Falcon after liberating Han Solo for example.

Its also a great intro for the potential to hae the sandstorm re-inserted in Ep6 in some future extended version of the OT.

6. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I could be wrong but wasn't it in the movie because they had a sandstorm on set, and GL liked the idea?

7. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Rebelscumb- I'm not sure, but it seems to be such an integral part of the story (screenplay) and not some improvisation.

Something which struck me as well is the sense of disturbance it creates (especially after ROTS, after the famliarity with the darkness), it adds a new layer of darkness, which makes it much more haunting and exciting.
    I really love how these episodes improve eachother!

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It was in the script before the storm hit in Tunisia.

9. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    "Sandstorms can be very dangerous."

It could also be a bit of a pun in relation to how sand storms in Tunisa have this nasty habit of ruining movie shoots.

;)

10. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

It is a way of getting them all to Anakin's house.

Don't look for what isn't there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.