The Media Blitz for AOTC

Discussion in 'Nashville, TN' started by k kanos, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    This thread is for suggestions of Media to contact and our results in contacting them. I will be designing flyers sometime next month after we get the blessing of Thoroughbred management to Line-Up.

I can think of one radio station in particular that was a blessing to us for Episode I that we should definitely contact:

107.5 THE RIVER :)

We need people to volunteer to contact the various local media which includes local radio, TV, and newspaper (Tennessean) . I also thought about putting our flyer in the newspaper in the movie section the day before we line-up to help make the turn out even greater. We will need someone to find out how much that will be for what sized add and if its possible to even put it in that section.

As far as when to contact them, the end of April or the first of May would be soon enough I think. But, lets put a list together of whom we should contact and who is contacting them. All suggestions are welcome. BTW, we probably don't need "sponsers" per say, but any establishment that wants to donate food, drink, T-shirts, or anything else, they would have a captive audience and they are more than welcome.

I also thought about perhaps mentioning a charity to the media and asking the Thoroughbred to help us collect funds for them at the ticket booth, such as the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation ( I have a friend who is active in this]

Also, as I mentioned before, FOX is interested in knowing what theater the local Fan Force Chapters will be lining up at. I volunteered to TFN to be our Fan Force Chapter contact. I don't know what FOX plans to do for us, but I will let you know as soon as they let me know. I hope its something extra special other than just posting our selected theater name up on the STAR WARS website. :D
  2. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    If we get the flyers printed up soon enough, I will scatter them around the Cool Springs Mall. I work there practically all the time, so it wouldn't be a problem for me. If someone wants to help me with that, it would be nice though. We could put contact info on the flyer, so that these new-found FanForcers can find their way.. i.e., email addies, nashvilleforce.com, etc.
  3. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it would be good to contact all the local affiliates of NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC.
    ABC: WKRN News 2
    NBC: WSMV Channel 4 News
    CBS: WTVF News Channel 5
    FOX: ??

The charity thing sounds great. If the Nashville Ep2 line isn't enough to make the news surely a bunch of SW fans that are working for a good cause will make headlines. Depending on what the Thoroughbred is willing to allow, we could setup a tent and possibly a folding table to act as a kind of office for NashvilleForce. It would make a great place to let people know about our group and also make it possible to accept donations for charities if we decide to do that.

As for FOX, I wouldn't be surprised nor dissapointed if it just meant a mention on the Official Site. They get allot of traffic and that would get us allot of exposure. Other than sending the local FOX affiliate to cover the story I don't see what else they could or would do.

I would love to help in whatever way I can. I seemed to remember one of our members at the last meeting had connections to a TV station or something. I would be glad to talk to other TV and Radio stations.

Okay, I've spoken with some people at the Tennessean about advertising in the Entertainment section. The person handling that should call me this afternoon.

I've just e-mailed the local chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation about doing this.
  4. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for taking the ball and running with it, Jedi Toren :) As far as media exposure goes, we really need to know if the Thoroughbred is cool with us camping out before we contact the media. Once we get their consent, we can make plans to contact them in late April. STAR WARS, except in our part of the universe, has not really generated a ton of media hype yet. It may be best to wait until maybe the week or two before the SW Celebration to contact them as AOTC release date approaches and the hype increases.

As far as a big tent goes, I'm not sure there is a place to put something that large in the front of the theater. Somehow I doubt they are going to allow us to do that (liability reasons). However, I think if we have our group up front with maybe a large poster or sign by us that it will draw enough attention to let people know about our group. Also, like Elan-Rai said, putting flyers up and putting an add in the paper near the movie section will definitely draw some interest.

I don't exactly know how we should handle the charity part. I've seen the Thoroughbred have donation jars at the ticket windows and they ask the movie goers if they would like to donate at least their change. It would be cool if we could do something a little more proactive than that, but not to the point of being obnoxious about it.

I was going to wait and show you guys these at the meeting, but I made some NAD refrigerator magnets as well as some STAR WARS 20th Anniversary ones. Perhaps we could give these as a little incentive to people to donate. They actually come out to around $0.35 a piece. The more we order, the cheaper they are. We could also auction off some shirts (5 maybe) and donate that money as well. It's just a couple of ideas and not something that I've really pondered over deeply. I'll talk to my friend and see if she has any suggestions. I'll also ask her who her contact person is that we should talk to at the JDRF.
  5. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know how well an auction for a t-shirt would work. Maybe a raffle.
    I told the person I talked to at the Tennessean that we don't know for sure if we will be doing this at the Thoroughbred, right now I am really trying to find out how much some ad space would cost.

I don't think tents should be a problem. They certainly weren't a problem when I camped out for Episode I, but that was Regal and that was Washington state which was still pretty cold at night. It's just something we need to ask managment.
  6. guber Jedi Knight

star 1
    Two things. I'm going to call a friend of mine that works at the Thoroughbred and find out when they will get the new manager. Also my mom works for The Tennessean and I know she gets a discount on classifides. I'll ask her about ad space.
  7. Toymaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I can pass the word to FOX 17--I work there. BTW, their web site is fox17.com.

8. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Guber and Toymaster for your help! :)

If they allow it, it's really up to you JediToren as far as the tents are concerned, but you probably won't need one. Actually, the nights that time of year around here are usually quite comfortable. About all you need is a sweatshirt, or a very light jacket, if that. Besides, being under a covered walkway and next to a structure will retain heat as well. Nobody put up tents at the H27 for Episode I that I saw. Some people brought air mattresses and some even brought cots, while others like myself brought only a sleeping bag and had to sleep on the hard concrete. It sounded like a chiropractic center in the morning with all the bones cracking. My leg, I can't feel my leg [face_laugh] When we talk to the Thoroughbred manager in March, we will ask them what is and what is not O.K. as far as sleeping accomodations go ;)
  9. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah. It really depends on this charity thing. We should probably have some kind of setup, maybe just a folding table or something.

I've talked to the Tennessean some more and they are gonna send me some stuff via e-mail as to pricing on ads and we'll go from there.
  10. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I spoke with my friend last night about JDRF and she is going to put me in contact with their Nashville rep. I'll ask the Rep what she suggests and then we can go from there. We should probably coordinate this with the Thoroughbred so that they know what we are doing. Who knows, they may volunteer to help us out with this. As far as auctioning off shirts go, that was just an idea I was throwing out there. After thinking about it, I doubt we would get much more than what the shirts cost, so it would probably be a waste of time. I still think the NAD magnet thing would be cool and inexpensive, or maybe STAR WARS buttons that have something like, "I gave to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation" on them as well. Maybe just publicity for JDRF would be enough. Whatever we do, I'm sure they will be appreciative it and will benefit in some way. Every little bit helps. We'll just play it by ear. ;)
  11. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    I spoke to our PR person here at work and she says that unless we shot someone or rob the theater the only media that will cover something like this will be FOX and Channel 2 (Maybe-they have been unreliable as of late). The City Paper is hungry for stories and will more than likely want to do a piece about the group-if we offer. The Scene may do something, but typically they report news that already occured. Can anyone write? Our writing something like a guest spot may help this to happen.
  12. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, if I remember right, fox did not show up for Episode I at the H27 either. Thanks for trying though. :) Just remember the larger the crowd the more media will be interested. If the turnout for the SW Celebration is anything like the first one, it may send a wake-up call to the media around the nation that STAR WARS is still a big story. They only sent a small film crew for the ticket line. They sent their news reporter people for opening night.

The radio stations and print media are what made the gathering extra fun. Those are the groups that we should probably put more emphasis on attracting. Like I said, we will pretty much be a captive audience. ;) If anybody has any contacts with radio stations, you might mention it to them as we get closer to "The time" :)
  13. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Just to toss this in here... it was actually CBS (WTVF, I think?) Channel 5 who were most interested in doing Star Wars stories leading up to and including the TPM release. I talked several times starting more than a month before the Celebration by reporter Lydia Linker (sp?) and her photojournalist about doing a series of stories. For awhile, they even considered making the road trip to Denver with us for the Celebration but then realized that just wouldn't be plausible. They ended up doing a story about a big SW collector in Nashville, as well as several live spots from the line (both for tickets and the premiere) at H27.

I know that Channel 2 and Channel 4 were also with us most of the final day in line, doing spots during their various newscasts throughout the day. I remember one reporter sitting in an inflatable Darth Maul chair during one live report... and another one had a few fans set up a "tunnel of lightsabers" that he walked through as an intro to the report. Funny stuff. I think I've got a picture of that somewhere.

Anyway, don't think that you won't be able to get attention from all the local TV stations. They'll bite. Just give them warning (probably more than just a few weeks, actually) of what's going on so they can coordinate with you guys and get ready.
  14. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for that info Moff! :) We'll definitely plan on doing that then. I had no idea that you contacted them for Episode I. You were one of the first ones there for the line to get in to see the movie. About what time did you get there?

BTW, I mailed you your shirts Tuesday :)
  15. Grand Moff Joker Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually, the interesting thing was that THEY contacted ME!

You remember the Countingdown.Com boards, right? That's how we first met online, as I recall. Well, the Channel 5 people got my email address from there and contacted me that way. I then talked with a photojournalist and Lydia several times about what would be going on. They had already set up stories about collecting (a son of a Channel 5 employee was a big fan), but originally wanted to follow me and Brad to Denver and then to the line. They eventually decided that Denver would be too much of a hassle for them, but they did show up in line and did a quick little spot I think for their noon broadcast on the day of the premiere.

Anyway, the story for the premiere line is this (ahh, memories): I actually arrived at H27 at 2:30PM the day before the movie was to premiere at midnight. At the time, I was the sixth or seventh one there. The two guys from TheRiver had shown up at 2:00 with their living room set, along with five other guys who were all friends.

People gradually trickled in the rest of that day, and I think we ended up with about 30 people who actually stayed overnight at the theater that night. TheRiver DJs did their morning show EARLY on the morning of the premiere. The weather was horrible, but it cleared up around 10AM. By noon, the line had doubled. By 2:00, it had doubled again. By 5:00, there were easily a couple hundred people there. And then by 10:00 - when they finally started ushering us into the theater - we figured there were what, about 2000 people there?

Man, that was so much fun! Scott, if you want, I'll email you all the pictures from H27 that I have scanned. You guys could post them here or on your NAD website, if you wanted.
  16. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Awww.. MAN!! That'd be awesome! I'd love to the pix from the line-up. :D
  17. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be great Moff :D , send away and we'll post them on the website.

That's really cool that they contacted you. Somehow I doubt they'll do that this time, since Episode I seemed to be a disappointment to a lot of people and the hype isn't as big. But, you never know, they could surprise us.
  18. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    No worries. I figure as April rolls around, the stations will be forced to do our bidding. :D
  19. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    O.K., Moff got me really geared up for AOTC now. :D

I went ahead and E-mailed the news stations and also gave them my phone number as a contact person. It may be a little premature, but it gives them time to decide if they want to do a big story on the group in the future. I think its news worthy, but then again, I'm a big STAR WARS buff like all of you. :D I placed emphasis on the STAR WARS Celebration in Indy, our Fan Force Chapter, and the Line-up in May. I will definitely let you all know if they contact me and if they want to meet with our group.

I also just got the pics from GMJ and will either post them up on our website (if I can figure it out) , or upload them on my own personal website and post image links to them ina new thread like I did for the T-shirts.

I hope I didn't jump the gun on notifying the media, but I thought, what real harm could it do? Anyway, it sets things in motion at least. :) See you all Friday!
  20. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    It might be a good idea to actually call the local news outlets and let them know about it. We could possibly arrange to meet with someone at their office and discuss possiblities for news coverage.
  21. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    I definitely agree :) . Let's wait a week at least and see if they get back to me. I'm sure they get hundreds of e-mails a day and it may take them time to reply. If and when they do, I'll definitely let you all know. If they don't we'll follow up and call as Jedi Toren suggested.
  22. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    When you get the flyers made I will be glad to help you pass them out. I seem to remeber Channel 4 covering the release of Episode 1.
  23. Toymaster Jedi Master

star 4
    My suggestion is to contact each station's entertainment reporter, since this is generally the person that they send to cover such events. I was working at News 2 when Episode 1 opened, and I distinctly remember Melissa Penry reporting from the Hollywood 27. I can keep Miranda Cohen posted over at FOX 17, and I'm sure we'll do some kind of tie-in on the morning show as well. Not sure who the entertainment reporters are at 4 & 5, but if you call the news desk, I'm sure they'll direct your call.

Hope this helps...
  24. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I just got an e-mail from the folks at the Tennessean. They gave me some info on a contract for advertising in the living section. I replied asking for info on the Entertainment and Movie sections but basically for the living section it's a minimum of $2500. However, she did say "There are some pick-up combinations that can offer you a better price or discount, if applicable."

Here is the full text of her e-mail:

"Per your request I am giving you some basic information to run an ad in The Tennessean for your local fan club chapter.

Per our conversation, it is difficult to quote you a price without knowing what type of budget you have to spend. The best rates are always if you are on a contract and our 1st level of contract for The Tennessean is $7,000. It is $2,500. minimum contract for our Living section. There are some pick-up combinations that can offer you a better price or discount, if applicable.

I think that the Sunday Life with a Friday Weekend pick-up would reach the readers you are wanting to reach, per our conversation. If you just want to run one time in our Sunday Life section, you would have to come in at the open rate. If you run in the Sunday Life section and pick up exactly the same ad in the Friday Weekend section, we can offer you a 35% discount on the Friday Weekend price. Depending upon the ad size you might want to run your ad a few times under a contract rate.

We would have to have pre-payment for the ad.

Please give me more information when you have it about what kind of dollars you are looking to spend and I will work with you to find the product that will give you the most coverage for your investment.

Thanks for your interest in The Tennessean.
    "

The real questions are:
    1) What do we have in mind for this ad? (as in size, content, color, pics, etc.)
    2) How much are we willing to spend?
    I'll keep everyone posted.

Promotional Plans we have discussed thus far
    1) Flyers: Scott is going to make some flyers that we can pass out. There a few places that we should definately try hitting such as malls, model, toy, and movie stores. We should definately talk to a few local Toys R Us locations about possibly sticking a few flyers on the windows at their store or even sticking one in with SW purchases. It's a long shot and the answer will probably be no, but it can't hurt to try. We should definately post flyers in areas around college campus's.

2) Running an ad in the Tennessean: We should do this a few days before tickets and/or the movie comes out. This will definately get allot of people but it may be beyond our financial resources.

3)Running a slide ad at the Thoroughbred: The more movies we can stick this in front of the better, but if we have to make a choice, doing it front of sci-fi and fantasy films, as well as films that will have the SW trailer attached to it would be best. We may be able to get this for a reduced price or even free since it would be advertising the Thoroughbred itself, but it all depends on what the manager has to say. The manager at the Thoroughbred has to answer to someone and they may not be cool with giving away free advertising, even if it is for their own theatre.

4) News media coverage: Scott has fired off several emails to some local news media organizations. If we haven't heard anything by the time we meet with the Thoroughbred managment, we should call and try to arrange a meeting. It will be difficult to get news media coverage this time around. Some were not happy with Episode I, but the primary reason Ep2 is getting less coverage is because we have some idea what to expect. The first SW film in 16 years is a special event, and it only comes once. Also, sequels rarely do as well as the originals, plus the media is busy with covering the war on terrorism.

5) Getting togethor with a local charity like the Nashville chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is a great way to promote our group. Although the charity may not
  25. k kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    "I think we need to worry about getting the Thoroughbred behind us and getting a charity with us before we can really worry about news, flyers, etc. We need details and we need to give the news allot of reasons why they SHOULD cover our line.

I couldn't agree with you more JediToren. However, I think the charity involvement may just be an additional benefit that NAD can contribute. I don't believe our getting media coverage will hinge on it and it shouldn't be a reason to help a charity. I will contact the rep for the JDRF next week when I get back in town. If the Thoroughbred management gives us permission to line up, and I have a strong premonition that they will, I think it would be wise at that time to discuss not only at least collection jars at the ticket windows for AOTC , but also advertising our NAD line for tickets with slides before select movies.

Advertising at Toys 'R us is a great idea! :D Perhaps we could at least get them to pass out flyers the day the AOTC toys are released. We could also put some flyers at different Krogers in the area as I believe there are free advertisements to the side when you come in the stores over by the apartment finders books. As far as a listing in the Tennessean, I just don't see that as being a feasible option at those prices :( . That would have been cool, but it's not worth the cost. We'll just have to be more creative in finding other avenues. We just need to get the word out that "the Thoroughbred 20 is the place to see STAR WARS EPISODE II in the greater Nashville area hopefully ;) and the fans will show up with us for the line. We didn't do any advertising for Episode I and we had almost 400 people show up for tickets by the morning of the day they went on sale. I think a little extra will go a long way with AOTC. We need to get everyone in the group to volunteer to handle posting flyers at different locations throughout the greater Nashville area, that may actually be our best option in reaching everyone besides of course word of mouth. Whether you put up 5 or 50, every little bit will help. I'll work to have something presentable by the time we meet with the Thoroughbred management and I'll post images of it in this thread.

Guber and or Biggs327, I know you guys are both at school right now, but could one of you guys check with your contact person at the Thoroughbred in a few days or early next week and find out if the new manager started yet and when the best time to reach him or her is? Better yet, could you give us the name of the regional manager and find out when the best time to meet with him is? I know you guys told me his name at the last meeting, but, unfortunately I didn't write it down. I'm thinking we may need to try to get the regional manager to meet with us also at this time. I fear that A new manager is most likely NOT going to give us a straight answer and defer the question to their regional manager. In the likelihood of that, he or she may not be able to reassure them that we are a good group of decent people who just love STAR WARS and not some terrorist organization hell bent on destroying their theater. I just know that in the light of 9-11 that many people are a lot more cautious about things than in the past. Let's try to get a straight answer the first time so that we are not be lead along only to turned down because the new manager did not plead our case. The regional manager is most likely to have a lot more political pull and say so with corporate than say a rookie manager. Let's see if we can meet with both at the same time. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.