main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Media Will Capitalize on Anything

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Turn on your TVs. Go anywhere on the net.

Look for JetBlue Flight 292.

You'll get to watch our nation's media capitalize on broadcasting a real live plane crash in the next couple of hours!!!

Meh.

For some reason I'm intrigued, though. I kinda wanna see if it's anything like in the movies.

Had Bruce Willis or Dean Anderson been on the plane, they would've crawled into the landing gear compartment and fixed the problem.

2. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Sad, but true.

I saw about this, when 'meh' also... movie plane crashes are horrible events.... much less a real one.
    But not the way I envisioned spending my evening.

So I popped in Pirates of the Carribean.

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I saw that it landed safely. thank god.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    We were watching at work. Kudos to the pilot though!

5. Sith_Lord_Draco

Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I thought that the nose landing gear would of broken off, but the pilot did a very good job of landing it like that.

Donovan

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Yes, the landing was rather skillful and uneventful.

I could almost hear a nation of couch potatoes screaming, "AWWWW MANNNN!!!!"

And then it went back to the evacuation of Texas. LOL.

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    The thing I found most distrubing is that the passengers where WATCHING themselves on television.

8. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    all the pilots/former pilots here are saying how amazing that landing was

9. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    That was a pretty amazing landing. I'm surprised the shear didn't just rip that front landing strut right off.

10. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I know

but between dumping fuel

and keeping the nose of the plane up and just using the back gear until the place slowed down sufficiently

the pilot was able to reduce alot of the stress on that strut

11. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    This is almost wrong...

they were showing it durning the recap of LOST where during the plane crash on the show. Yeah I was like, oh that is just too weird.

12. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I got to ssay this and I'm sure folks will take it wrong but . I'm so sick of the media over hyping tradgedies for the sake of ratings. I't all started back on sept 11. when for the first 48 hours after all you could see on any tv station was the planes crashing in to the towers.all that was the radio was news. now I feel bad for thevictims so don't get me wrong but the media jammed it so far down our bellies . that's when the whole minute ticker on the bottom came into play to keep us up dated with no new info. Feeding the public the same information in a difrent form. just to get us to tune in so to speak. I just think its so sad that in a rush to get veiwers the media will stoop to this level. The victims of disasters need their stories told but they also need to have some privacy . I personaly don't watch that much tv anymore simple because. every news headline is now the subject of a tv show within a few weeks or is beaten to death by the media. I deliver the news papers and I have seen where the same story is covered three or four time in one paper times that by two denver publications and most likely the story will be headline for at least a few days and you have a lot of nothing writen about something . we the american public have taken the rubber neck at the trafic accident to a whole new level. its no longer slow down to see some blood and a twisted car. it's lets watch it happen in slow motion and from a hundred difrent angles. Then lets watch the fifty shows they will make about it.

sorry just had to rant a bit about media/society. If anybody is offended by what I said I appolagize now .

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    No offense taken, Chunk. Bad news sells.

I've always wanted to start a "Good News Only" channel. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd be able to offer enough 'quality' programming. What the heck would I run during sweeps week?????

14. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
  15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, they DO have a "Good News Only" channel. It's called "Animal Planet" -- they show nothing but shiney happy stories.

Mostly because it's illegal to show bad stuff happening to animals.

But it's fine to show bad stuff happening to humans.

Stupid animals.

16. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    What did they say in the Matrix?

One of the versions was a utopian society, but it crumbled because nobody had enough "bad" in their lives...so it was re-designed to incorporate trauma.

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    im not to sure that animal planet only shows nice things. ever watched that animal precinct show? they show some animals that have been screwed up by the actions of ppl.

18. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Yeah, my former roommates made a rule that I wasn't allowed to watch Animal Planet anymore, because I'd get stuck on "Animal Cops" and completely lose it. Sobbing, gut-wrenching anguish. It's horrific what some people will let happen to their animals. Maggot-ridden puppies, that sort of thing. :_|

I'm also not allowed to see "The Ring" because I can't handle it when horrible things happen to horses. And that's fiction!

19. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I can second that on the animal planet. As a pitbull owner that animal cops show kills me. They are always taking some poor pitbull for neglect or abuse. I always say I love animals but couldnt do that job. I would kick the snot out of everybody for what they do to there animals. but then again you see how people treat their kids and its no wonder they treat there pets like that.

20. Doni

Jun 6, 2005
    chunk,
    I volunteer at the Boulder Humane Society, and they take in a ton of pit bulls since Denver reinstituted the pit bull ban. The Denver shelters try to send them here when they can. All the ones I've worked with (I'm on dog walking duties usually) are incredibly sweet and affectionate. I hate that some people get pits for the sole purpose of turning them into monsters. Because they think it's cool or something. <shiver>

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I guess I don't watch enough TV. I've never seen those shows. :eek: The little girl usually changes the channel back to Cartoon Network when the animals get too sappy.

I wonder if there would be a market for a network that shows cats being used in sports. Football...soccer...golf...baseball...

Only cats though. I like most animals, and we need to preserve our whales so that in 400 years my great-great-great grandkids can hijack a Klingon Bird of Prey to bring one back to the future to save the Earth, but CATS...

Here's a great use for cats...

22. Doni

Jun 6, 2005
    Didn't somebody try to start a cable channel for cats? Showing things that cats like to watch, like mice playing and stuff? Whatever happened to that?

How did this turn into the "animal welfare--or not" thread?
    ;)

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    The dog fighting thing is just wrong.

Chicken fighting, though...when I served on jury duty earlier this year, the majority of the trial was spent gathering info from one of our jurors about her involvement with being one of the biggest suppliers of fighting rosters in the U.S. Surprisingly they actually kept her on the jury for the entire trial. And when asked about her thoughts on dog fighting...

"I HATES dog fighters! Dog fighters is the worst scum you can find!"
    "OK, but...chickens? Chickens are OK?"
    "Well, ya'eats chickens."

They had to call a recess because nobody in the courtroom could maintain their composure after that, including the judge.

24. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    How did this turn into the "animal welfare--or not" thread?

(insert RMFF Thread Pirates here)

25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, my partial intent on creating this thread was to give myself something to hijack with trash from the media. I hate reading about all our attempts at organizing ourselves. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.