main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Mercy Seat (ROTS from Padmé's POV) FINAL CHAPTER/EPILOGUE 3/13/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MissPadme, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    For those of you who read my story "Seeds of the Future" last year, at last this is the sequel! If you haven't read it, you can find the whole thing here:

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/18695299/p1

This one is MUCH longer than its predecessor and I'm sorry to say, this is not an alternate universe. It sticks to ROTS film canon. I had an interesting time dealing with deleted scenes that do not make sense with the timeline established in the final edit of the film (so I winged it or made up new scenes) and I also had to work my way around conflicting sources like the novel, the comic adaptation, and the kiddie novel. Bear in mind the only thing I consider carved in stone is the movie itself. But there are elements of deleted scenes, background lore, EU spinoffs, comics, novels, and kid books in there. I just tried to recreate events from Padmé's perspective in a way that makes sense rather than try to make ROTS the movie fit in with EU and other stuff.

I got the title from an old Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song about a man who is about to be executed. It's also a euphemism for the electric chair. But the phrase has its roots in sacrifice and I suppose poor Padmé was sacrificed for the future of the GFFA. Or perhaps she sacrificed herself.

Hope you'll enjoy!

The Mercy Seat
    by MissPadme
    ROTS (Padmé, Anakin, Threepio, Obi-Wan, loads of Senators and handmaidens, and the rest of the merry crew)
    Rated PG-13 for angst, nookie, violence, and depressing stuff

Part One

"Go ahead, Threepio, I'll wait back here," Padmé Amidala Skywalker whispered nervously.

"Are you sure, Miss Padmé? I'm certain Master Anakin would be more than happy to see you again..." Padmé covered the vocoder with her hand.

"Yes, I'm sure. I need to speak with Anakin in private and I don't want to call too much attention to us. Please?" She removed her hand from Threepio's vocoder.

"Of course, Miss Padmé." The protocol droid shuffled off to join the small group of dignitaries awaiting the Supreme Chancellor's shuttle. Thankfully there was already a press conference, so no media was present. Padmé wrapped her velvet cloak more securely around her body and positioned herself behind one of the huge columns. She didn't think any of the other Senators or officials saw her. Not even her old friend Jar Jar saw her. Poor thing must be wondering why she wasn't there to see Ani come home.

For too long, she worried he never would come home. The past five months had been the most emotionally turbulent of her young life; ruling a planet, turning back an invasion, braving galactic political intrigue, finding herself in the heat of battle could make anyone stronger. But nothing she'd ever experienced prepared her for the heartache of being apart from Anakin for so long. She'd heard little from him and she spent many long nights unable to sleep because of rumors he'd been captured or killed in the Outer Rim. She'd never prayed to her goddesses as hard as she did on those nights. Please, I still need him. We need him. Don't leave my baby without a father...

Not an hour passed without her thinking of him and not an hour passed without her anticipating and dreading the moment at hand. Padmé learned of her pregnancy shortly after Anakin left for the Outer Rim. She overcame the shock quickly, accepting this marvelous gift her heart desired since marrying Anakin. But she knew the child had to be kept a secret to protect herself and to protect her husband. The plans for the future were delayed until the young lovers were able to reunite again.

The enormity of what they faced weighed on her shoulders and now her burden would have to become his as well. She feared how he would react. Anakin wanted a family too, she knew that much. But he was a Knight still, not yet in a position where he could make the changes that could make their life together easier.

The shuttle craft bearing the colors of the Chancellery made its approach and Padmé's heart began pounding. The shuttle lande

2. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    I like that better than the novel- no " i hate you!Don't leave me!"

"But nothing she'd ever experienced prepared her for the heartache of being apart from Anakin for so long. She'd heard little from him and she spent many long nights unable to sleep because of rumors he'd been captured or killed in the Outer Rim. She'd never prayed to her goddesses as hard as she did on those nights. Please, I still need him. We need him. Don't leave my baby without a father... "

That is very understandable but does not cross the line of anxiety to full blown neurosis.

i also like that you added in some Naboo religion. She & Palpy both make refrences to praying & it makes sense that there would be other religions besides...um...Jedism.

3. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Yeah I'm glad that you decided to write a sequel [face_dancing]!!!

I can't wait for the next post and could you please add me to your PM list??

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I am so glad you finally decided to start this here. There are so few good stories on the boards these days and even fewer writers who can do Padme justice. Already I'm loving the refreshingly unique take you're using in the story. As opposed to another Stover fan novel, you're giving this your own voice or rather, Padme's own voice. It's something I've only seen done by one other author here.

@};- Please put me on the PM list if you have one.

5. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    darthzeppo

Yeah, I didn't like Anakin going unhinged before he even turns to the Dark Side. I liked the way it played out in the movie much better.

Addressing SW in fan fic is quite interesting because it never is addressed at all in EU. But it makes sense people would have all kinds of religious beliefs. Padmé was at the very least religious enough to have had a holy man at her secret wedding, one obviously outside of the Jedi tradition.

randomangel22

I decided on writing a sequel a long time ago! I started writing it in June or July 2005. I'm not experienced with e-mail lists, but I'll try to remember to PM you when the next part goes up.

leia_naberrie

Gee, thanks! And that was just the first chapter [face_blush].

--MissPadme

6. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    I'm hooked! I love it right from the beginning! Please ad me to your PM list. I'm really looking forward to more.:)

7. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, *oh*, I'm already *so* loving this....eeeeeeee, I was just *so* excited when I saw you were posting it, *any* new ficage from you, vignette or otherwise, and I'm of course just *soooooo* there, you know that....but this, oh, this is already simply *fabulous*, dahling....so sweet, so tender, so *true*, and I think you're doing such *wonderful* things here, speaking so well in Padme's voice, too, just as everyone else has already commented on....simply the *gift*, you know, that's what you have, and all's I know is that I'm fairly left hanging upon your each and every word besides, because in this case, too, well....it just - rings so *true*, you know, it's so tender, so filled with desperate yearning and hope, and her wonderful joyous *love* for him comes through loud and clear as well....that she loves him, and he loves her, and now they're going to be a family, them and their child(ren)....and now everything, *everything* is all right with the universe again....

....and, what's more, that they also *will* manage to have their happily-ever-after, too, that's how it must have seemed to them and that's the definite feeling of it, and....oh....now you've done it, I'm welling up with overcome tears all over again. ;) *sniff* But it's....in only a *happy* way, a poignant and wistful way, mind you....it's a compliment, really, to your most wonderful writing....truly! :D And....ye-es, okay, I know that....this isn't going to be an AU, which means....it *will* end up following the chain of events as we know them, and as they of course only break my heart each and every single time....still, well, for all that, I *know* that you'll definitely give us *allllll* the beautiful Ani-Padme lurve in the meantime, that's for sure and certain, that you'll be great in exploring it all from her particular POV, and that you'll do it, and her and Anakin, and their love, and the *story*, true justice! :D Mmmmmmmmmm, yep, that too is only a given.... :)

And, oh, yes.... *hand eagerly shoots up* ....me, me too, can I be on the PM list too? :) Ehhhhhh-xcellent, I *so* can't wait for the next installment, as per usual....of course, you take your time with it as need be, our most wonderful authoress, no need to stress out about it at all, take as much time as you need....we, your devoted and loyal readership, will absolutely be here and completely on tenterhooks in the meantime.... :) Hee!

Dawn.

8. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Great job.. love it, please add me to the pm list.

9. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Ani_Lover

Glad to hear you're already hooked!

Qui-Dawn

That's quite an endorsement.

FitJedi

Thank you :D.

--MissPadme

10. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Greetings, readers. I am the evil sock DarkPadme who takes over around Hell-o-ween for MissPadme and one of my duties is to post the next part of her story "The Mercy Seat." Unfortunately, it's all lightside mush [face_sick]...except for the implied nookie [face_mischief]. That stuff is acceptable. But don't you worry, it'll get more evil and dark as it goes along! Hahahahahaha! Enjoy and Happy Halloween!

[face_devil] [face_pumpkin] [face_skull]

Part Two

On nights like this one--warm, with a gentle breeze--Padmé liked standing on her bedroom balcony or her veranda. Even though Coruscant could never compete with the natural wonders of Naboo and the architectural artistry of Theed, Coruscant's nightline was nevertheless a wonder to behold. Dressed now in her nightgown, she brushed her hair as she waited for Anakin to come out of the fresher. Although her back was turned to the bedroom archway, she could sense Anakin--who could be as quiet as a cat--walk out to the archway and watch her. Ever since they'd become lovers, there were times when she could sense Anakin's presence for the briefest of moments or hear him whisper her name from afar. She certainly was not gifted in the Force like he was, but there were things she'd become sensitive to, even more so now with the pregnancy. She'd often wondered if the baby will also share Anakin's gifts. And burdens. She knew there would have to be a conversation on what they should do with a Force-sensitive child. Just not now.

"Ani, I want to have the baby back home on Naboo," she said, letting herself share the things she'd dreamed of and planned alone these many months. "It'll be in the Lake Country where no one will know. I can go early and fix up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, right by the gardens." She turned to him, beaming. Speaking with him about the reality of motherhood once again filled her heart with joy. And he looked so handsome, leaning against the archway. He stared at her, the lovesick look in his eyes making her blush.

"You are so...beautiful," he said, his voice taking on an odd husky tone she found alluring.

Oh Ani, even though I'm bloated like a shaak you still think I'm beautiful. She grinned. "It's only because I'm so in love," she said humbly.

Anakin laughed self-consciously. "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

Ah, now I've embarrassed him. Padmé could not resist teasing her adoring admirer further. "Then love has blinded you?"

"No, that's not what I meant," he stammered. Padmé grinned. He may be the Hero Without Fear, the Warrior of the Infinite, a powerful Jedi Knight, a legendary pilot, and a man in every sense, but he could still be the nine-year-old boy fumbling for the right words to say.

"But it's probably true," she said coyly. Anakin stepped out onto the balcony. "They can see us out here," she warned only half seriously.

"Then we'll have to go inside," Anakin said, picking her up in his arms. She held on to his shoulders as he carried her into the bedroom, kicking the plexiglass door release with his foot as they passed, closing the door behind them.

Padmé lay in Anakin's arms on their bed, feeling safe, protected, and loved. Anakin marveled at the change in his wife's body, gently running his fingers over her swollen belly. "How has the pregnancy been?" he asked.

"Sometimes the baby makes me as ravenous as a Wookiee. The thing is, when I had my morning sickness, I couldn't even stand the scent of soya noodles. Now it feels like I can't live without them."

"Morning sickness?" Anakin's eyebrows arched.

"When a woman first gets pregnant, she can get terribly nauseous. I was sick nearly every morning for almost a month," Padmé explained. "And that's not the end of it. You get odd cravings, you get emotional. I even fainted a couple of times. My ankles have swelled a little, and I can feel the extra weight in my back and knees. Now I have to use the fresher all of time. It feels like the baby is jumping

11. darthzeppo

Aug 21, 2005
    Padmé grinned. He may be the Hero Without Fear, the Warrior of the Infinite, a powerful Jedi Knight, a legendary pilot, and a man in every sense, but he could still be the nine-year-old boy fumbling for the right words to say.

hehehe very true. People make a big deal about the dialogue in that scene but I just thought she was teasing him & being light-hearted.

I have had to keep this quiet to protect all of us, Ani. No one else knows about this child except for my handmaidens, Captain Typho, and Threepio. Not any of my staff, or Senators, or the Queen know. Definitely not Jar Jar," she added with a tight smile. "Not even my own family. The war has kept me from home for the most part, and no one has been able to visit me here. I saw an Em Dee droid at first, but after a while I thought even that was too risky. I told the med droid I was going under the care of a personal physician from Naboo."

I?ve thought the same- as to why she doesn?t know about there being twins.

12. FitJedi

Jan 14, 2006
    I like those happy mushy moments, you've written those between scenes so well and captured a lot of emotion spot on,,, great job. I would have liked to have seen more moments like this in the movie but I guess it can only be so long.

13. Ani_Lover

Dec 15, 2005
    This is absolutely awesome writing! I feel like I'm there.

Padmé lay in Anakin's arms on their bed, feeling safe, protected, and loved. Anakin marveled at the change in his wife's body, gently running his fingers over her swollen belly.

That's so beautiful, The thought of Anakin touching Padme's belly.

As FitJedi said, I LOVE the in-between scenes you've written. It makes perfect sense why Padme didn't know she was carrying twins, she wanted it to be a surprise!(which I've always thought too) I also love Padme's thoughts on the veranda. You've just fit it all together so perfectly!
    (I loved that bit with Anakin carrying her in his arms too. [face_blush] )
    I really can't wait for the next part, and the next.....:)

14. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    I love this MissPadme! May I have the honors of being on your PM list, please?

The imagery, the dialogue, the emotions - everything is simply perfect. And seeing things from Padme's point of view is going to be utterly fascinating. You write her so well, I have no doubt that as heartbreaking as it might be, it's also going to be something special.

Amazing! =D= =D= I am looking forward to seeing what scene you bring us to next. :D

15. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Awww that was beautiful loved the romantic moment between Anakin and Padme [face_love]!!

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww....this is just lovely

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

But couldn't you make this just a little AU? :p

If you have a PM list, please add me? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. RavenNolan

RavenNolan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2006
    Nice to see something of ROTS from Padme's pov. Cute scenes with Anakin and Padme. It's nice to see what she would be thinking behind all of the emotional mess of pregnancy and missing her husband.

Please add me to your PM list.

18. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Ani_Lover

I suppose MissPadme's writing is okay; it would be better if there was more evil and Sith stuff IMO though.

VA_Parky

Fine, fine, I guess MissPadme will have to PM you too. No turkey off my plate after this week. There will definitely more darkness and heartbreak ahead :D.

randomangel22

Too bad TFN won't let you post the really good "romantic stuff." Heh heh.

KELIA

I agree, I think that the story should be AU when Padmé says yes to Darth Vader's offer to join him and rule the galaxy.

RavenNolan

Emotional mess is what it's all about.

--DarkPadme

[face_pumpkin] [face_skull]

19. Dorme_Amidala

Dorme_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2006
    Aww, mush , mush.[face_love] That part when they were talking about the baby was so very sweet. :* Please add me to the PM list. :)

20. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Dorme_Amidala

Come on, angst is way better than mush any day of the week!

--DarkPadme

21. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Greetings all! It's Halloween and it's time for an angsty installment of The Mercy Seat!

Part Three

Padmé dreamed of a glorious day at the Lake Retreat Varykino. The sky was as blue as the lake itself, birds sang in the gardens just by the baby's room, and the natural perfume of the roses sweetened the gentle breezes. The child she and Anakin created together was swaddled in her arms. Even in her dream state, her heart swelled with joy. She felt free, from political intrigue, from war, and from scandal. Here was her only responsibility. She heard a baby's wail, but it wasn't coming from the infant she was holding. It was coming from nearby.

And then she felt Anakin was gone.

She awoke, then turned to see that Anakin was indeed gone from their bed. She glimpsed him walking down the stairs toward the veranda. Glancing down beside her, she could see even in the dark that the sheets were damp with sweat. What happened? she thought.

She felt tumbling in her abdomen. She rubbed her abdomen reassuringly as she got out of bed and walked down to the veranda.

Anakin sat alone, his back to her, staring at the skyline. Rather than call out to him and startle him, Padmé turned on the veranda lights. His head turned for a moment but it didn't break his reverie.

"What's bothering you?" she asked, reaching up to caress his neck.

Smiling wistfully, he took the japor snippet hanging by a silver chain around her neck and said, "I remember when I gave you this."

The attempt to distract her was so obvious, Padmé felt insulted. "When are we going to start being honest with each other?" she asked, taking on a tone she reserved for dealing with duplicitous Senators and diplomats.

Anakin pressed his lips together. "I had a dream."

"Bad?"

"It was the kind I used to have about my mother just before she died"

"And?"

"It was about you." He fought to control the emotion in his voice. "You die in childbirth."

His words left her breathless. Her heart grew cold with fear, not for herself, but for the little one inside. "And the baby?" She caressed her belly protectively.

"I don't know," Anakin said in a grim tone he hadn't used since the ill-fated journey to Tatooine three years ago. The memories of those dark days worried Padmé greatly, not only because Anakin's visions came true before but also because...no, she couldn't let Anakin go down that path again.

"it was only a dream," she tried to reassure him.

"I won't let this one become real," he said with a grim determination.

Who said it was going to be real? "Anakin, this baby will change our lives," Padmé said, stepping forward. The dream couldn't be literal. Nobody died in childbirth anymore. One was more likely to have a speeder fall out of the sky onto her head. It was absurd. There had to be another explanation for his vision. An explanation that was real, practical, and one that had haunted her ever since she learned of her pregnancy. "I doubt the Queen will continue to let me serve and if the Jedi find out you're the father, you'll be expelled..."

"I know," Anakin said, holding up his hand.

Trying to offer a solution, Padmé thought of the only one they could both trust, the only one who would know about Jedi visions. The man who was as close to Anakin as a brother. "Maybe Obi-Wan can help us."

"We don't need Obi-Wan's help," Anakin insisted. Then he softened his tone and expression. "This baby is a blessing," he reminded her, taking her in his arms. Padmé wrapped her arms around his waist, listening to his heartbeat and the soft rhythm of his breathing.

Anakin rose early the next morning. As Padmé helped him dress, Anakin said he could not stay for breakfast. "I have to meet with someone," he said as Padmé reached around his waist to fasten his belt. It wasn't necessary of course, but it was an interesting little ritual that developed between the two of them. Padmé thought it was romantic, something out of ancient tales of ladies dressing thei

22. darthzeppo

Aug 21, 2005
    :_|

Cries big emo tear for Padme.
    It would be loney, living like that.

[face_pumpkin]

23. FitJedi

Jan 14, 2006
    Once again you captured the moments perfectly before and after the nightmare. Great work once again. Keep them coming.

24. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    darthzeppo

The impression I got from ROTS is that Padmé is quite lonely.

FitJedi

Thank you!

--MissPadme

25. Ani_Lover

Dec 15, 2005
    Another beautiful chapter! =D=

As Padmé helped him dress, Anakin said he could not stay for breakfast. "I have to meet with someone," he said as Padmé reached around his waist to fasten his belt. It wasn't necessary of course, but it was an interesting little ritual that developed between the two of them. Padmé thought it was romantic, something out of ancient tales of ladies dressing their warrior men before battle. Sometimes, Anakin would help her dress before going off to a session in the Senate, though he once quipped that he preferred taking off her clothes to putting them on.

I really love that idea-! The thought of Padme helping Anakin dress- very romantic and sweet. [face_blush]
    I also love the last sentence, it's just what a man would say. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.