main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The merits of the fast food industry

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth_Jeremy, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    The reason I bring this up is because they had a thing on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago about the fast food industry and its effect on kids. They had some "experts" saying that kids are being sucked into fast food places because they want a kids' meal, which usually comes with a toy. They didn't say it directly, but these "experts" gave the impression that the idea of fast food toys should be history. They're blaming the industry for making money! Isn't that a pain in the a$$!?

My opinion: These "experts" don't know what they're talking about. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Some adults even collect that stuff. Besides, fast food toys are a good marketing tool. Most of them are based on movies, TV shows, and popular fads. I think Lord of the Rings was such a huge hit because were there were LOTR toys at Burger King. On 60 Minutes, they said that McDonald's and Burger King are the biggest toy sellers in the world. If they say that, then the fast food industry must be doing something right.

What do you guys think?

2. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Sure it's a marketing tool, and a very successful one at that. But I can't except that it's sucking kids into the dark and evil world of fast food.

What kids don't like hamburgers? Kids will stuff their face full of McDonalds and BK no matter what.

It's probably making life easier on the parents anyway. Their kids can get a free toy with a meal, instead of buying a similar toy for ten times the price of the meal at Toys R Us.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I think Lord of the Rings was such a huge hit because were there were LOTR toys at Burger King.

And the fact that it was based on a classic, well-loved book means nothing? [face_plain]

I think it's a perfectly legit marketing tool, but one does have to ask: if American kids stopped going to fast food places as often, would they still be so statiscally obese?

4. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    "if American kids stopped going to fast food places as often, would they still be so statiscally obese?"

It certainly would help bring down the number of health related problems associated with that junk fast food establishments call "food". But it won't completely solve the issue of obesity. There is still food outside of fast food chains we allow children to consume that add pounds to their bodies.

Anyway, this marketing tool is nothing new. This strategy has been used for years and it works. The executives to the companies will routinely meet together in order to discuss new ways to snag children's attention. They (food chains and even retail) target kids simply because they know children are easy to manipulate. The child sees what they like, then they bug mom and dad to get it until the parents cave in, mom and dad fork over cash.

I usually don't plug much, but I would highly encourage people to read a book called Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. It covers how this disgusting fast food business sprang about, their strategies to luring the public to consume more, not to mention employment and how poorly these individuals are treated and where and how the "food" you eat is processed. It's an eye opener. After I read that book, I refuse to give my money to these chains anymore.

5. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    Not to mention the horrendous and morally objectionable conditions so-called "food" animals are forced to exist in, and then are, most often, inhumanely butchered in.

Those greedy fools aren't getting a penny of my money, either.

6. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    How about parents just learning to tell their children one simple little word?

No.

It would solve quite a few problems in society if more children heard this word.

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    You won't eat at Mc D's because of the way the animals are treated? Lol. I hope you decide not to shop in a supermarket anymore as well.

If meat is murder...then murder tastes pretty good.

8. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
  9. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Ouch. Is that really called for?

10. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Ooh.

Maybe May01's can get away with that in EU and Lit, but I don't think it'll fly here.

Anyway, I don't see any problem with fast food places selling/including toys. To me, it's different than what record companies do, specifically marketing lewd and corruptive crap at kids. A burger and a LOTR toy won't hurt anyone. Too many burgers aren't good, but kids and their parents need to make that call.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    There's nothing shoving food down the kids throats. They want a toy, they get the meal, they eat it. Eating a hamburger every once and a while isn't going to make you fat. Eating 13 hamburgers a day will.

[face_plain]

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    It certainly would help bring down the number of health related problems associated with that junk fast food establishments call "food". But it won't completely solve the issue of obesity. There is still food outside of fast food chains we allow children to consume that add pounds to their bodies.

It was a rhetorical question, Tam. I was making the point that I can understand why people would want fast food regulated.

13. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    It was a rhetorical question, Tam. I was making the point that I can understand why people would want fast food regulated.

I certainly don't think fast food should be regulated. It's every person's choice what to eat. No one is holding a gun to someone's head and making them eat 4 Big Macs a day.

14. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    Devilanse wrote:
    You won't eat at Mc D's because of the way the animals are treated? Lol. I hope you decide not to shop in a supermarket anymore as well.

Actually, most of that "beef" you eat in a McD's burger isn't made mostly of meat at all. The only reason it smells like that is because of all the chemicals they use to create that illusion it's a pure beef product. Most fast food chain restaurants of today do not serve 100% beef patties like they did in the beginning when these chains began.

Realize too, the slaughter houses are far from clean. I can't recall how many times I've found chips of bone or other non edible material ground up in beef (which is I don't eat any of it anymore aside the conditions in slaughter houses). AND did you also realize there are traces of fecal matter in most hamburger? I can't recall the percentage off hand, I think 33% but again I'm unsure of that. I can look it up in the book when I get home tonight.

So I really hope you like eating cow s---, because the next time you bite down in that burger of yours, chances are your eating bits of it as well.

If meat is murder...then murder tastes pretty good.

Let me ask you this, do have any pets? Any animals that you particularly love? Why don't you go slaughter them and devour them? After all somewhere in the world they are considered food as well.

Seriously though, that remark is extremely insensitive. Some people have a higher regard for *all* creatures, why can't you just respect that? [face_plain]

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I certainly don't think fast food should be regulated.

OK, so regulated was a bad choice of words. Let me try to rephrase it...

I can understand why people would not want their kids to eat a lot of fast food.

Better?

Tam is right about the beef thing. The average McDonalds hamburger is about 25% beef, I believe. However, the chicken is even more appalling. They take the cheap pieces of chicken, like the neck and feet, and grind it up. The floor is covered in sawdust, and it soaks up the juices, which are thrown in as well. I refuse to eat McDonalds chicken.

How do I know this? My aunt used to work in the place where that was done. She quit because it was too disgusting and hasn't eaten McDonalds chicken since.

16. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Here's another "fun fact" for you regarding this issue. McDonald's was recently sued and settled a multi-million dollar claim regarding the use of beef in their french fries. For years McDonald's had been proudly boasting that their fries are cooked in 100% vegetable oil to make them more "healthy". Unfortunatley, they are liars. A religious group found out that beef was used in the cooking of the fries (your guess is as good as mine as to why) and outraged, they took McDonald's to court. Here is a page from McDonald's own web site.

I feel sorry for all the obese children of this nation whose parents can't cook them a healthy meal and instead rely on fast food as the main staple of their diet. Simply sad.

For those of you who hold the belief that you should not be concerned about abusing animals to feed yourselves, I would point out that it is also horribly, devestatingly destruction to you and the environment.

17. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Strange, McDonald's lists their burgers as 100% all-beef. Although, I would attest that the sawdust would be more nutritious. :)

Don't take my word for it.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps this thread should be retitled, as it doesn't seem to have much to do with the current title.

19. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I can understand why people would not want their kids to eat a lot of fast food.

Well then, the parents should just be firmer, and refuse to buy their kids so many Happy Meals. But don't regulate it because of that. I don't eat fast food unless it's the only thing availible, because I don't like it, but if people want to eat it, it's their choice.

20. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    obhavekenobi78 wrote:
    Strange, McDonald's lists their burgers as 100% all-beef. Although, I would attest that the sawdust would be more nutritious.

Well of course they are going to claim the patties are 100% beef! Do you think the public wants to hear McD's say "Our hamburger contains roughly 75% of genetically grown substance and 25% beef! Saves us money big time!" Of course not. They tell the public what they want to hear. :p

You know, I was always curious on the chicken...

Now I understand WHY a chicken head managed to get battered and fried in that McD's a while back. That was the single most disgusting image I had ever seen in my life. And this is coming from a person who can stomach blood, surgery channels, and viewing amputated limbs. My stomach literally flipped upside down when I saw the deep fried chicken head on the internet one day. [face_sick]

Knightwriter, I think your correct on that. Perhaps changing the title to "Fast Food: The Root of all Evil or no?"

:p

21. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    What about Tobacco being marketed to children? What is the difference when you get down to it? Oh yeah, you have those silly laws and such, but those are in place to prevent children from being able to damage their health before they are old enough to make dumb decisions by themselves, right?

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Yes, Rebecca, I know it's their own personal choice! What I'm talking about here is kids who are 4 feet tall and weight 200 lbs, who want their parents to buy them a happy meal for them. I'm saying responsible parents shouldn't let their kids get like that.

That's interesting that they claim to use 100% beef in their burgers. Either that means the beef that is in there is 100% beef (no chicken, etc), or, more likely, they're just lying about it like they did the vegetable oil with the fries.

EDIT: The difference between tobacco and McDonalds is that one kills you with cancer, the other with a heart attack. Also, tobacco's addictive and McDonalds is not, but that's debateable. [face_plain]

23. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes, Rebecca, I know it's their own personal choice! What I'm talking about here is kids who are 4 feet tall and weight 200 lbs, who want their parents to buy them a happy meal for them. I'm saying responsible parents shouldn't let their kids get like that.

Yes, but it's their parents' responsibility to regulate what they eat. Not the government!

What about Tobacco being marketed to children? What is the difference when you get down to it? Oh yeah, you have those silly laws and such, but those are in place to prevent children from being able to damage their health before they are old enough to make dumb decisions by themselves, right?

Tobacco is addictive. Fast food is not.

24. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "Tobacco is addictive. Fast food is not."

That is highly debatable. Taste can be very addictive. Why do you consume such nutritional trash if you are not addicted. No good comes from any food item at McDonalds. What could you possibly consume their that would benefit you nutritionally?

Food IS addictive.

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Food is not addictive the way tobacco is. It's a craving, yes, but it's not addictive in such a way that if you do not satisfy the craving, you become ill, go through withdrawl, whatever. You can control food cravings much much much easier than you can control an addiction.

If I eat something unhealthy, it's not because it's addictive, it's because it tastes really good, and I feel like eating it at the moment. Usually for a desert, after eating a meal. But if I decide not to eat that doughnut, I don't suffer for it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.