main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The merits of the fast food industry

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth_Jeremy, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Yes, but it's their parents' responsibility to regulate what they eat. Not the government!

That's what I said! Responsible parenting!

I give up.

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yes! Parents should be responsible and not expect the government to do their work for them by regulating fast food.

Happy?

3. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Okay, so what are the merits of fast food?

4. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    There are none, other than if someone likes the taste. If they don't mind being unhealthy from eating a lot of fast food, it's their choice.

5. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    ...and their children????

6. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Fat parents have fat kids.
    :p

7. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    KnightWriter:

Do not tell me to "be nice," I'm not a child, and certainly not your child.

When you entered the thread and choose to ignore an intentionally trite, ascerbic, provocative and trollish comment and then proceeded to edit my comment in defense of myself, you lost your credibility.

When someone makes ugly comments with the intent to insult, thereby inviting a response such as mine (which included no profanity), they deserve the response they get. What you should have done, if you were, in fact, concerned about the potentional escalation of our reponses, was to ask both of us (publicly or privately) to please refrain from further modes of commentary.

But that isn't what you did. As it sits now, I, the vegetarian, am the object of condescending discrimination by both you and by the other poster. You, as a moderator, should have exercised better judgement, but you didn't; you instead choose to selectively reproach me, via the edit.

I will be filing a complaint against you regarding the course of action you choose to take, which is partial and one-sided.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Id defend Inari if I knew what she said considered so wrong by KnightWriter, unfortunatley since he edited it out... Shrugs

Still that murder comment was the cause of the problem and is quite inappropriate and uncalled for.

So I really hope you like eating cow s---, because the next time you bite down in that burger of yours, chances are your eating bits of it as well.

Ew, I'm glad I stopped eating their hamburgers than. I eat the chicken now. Though you'll probably tell me there's something in my Monteray Ranch Chicken combo from Wendy's now. Lol!

9. Inari_Icewalker

Inari_Icewalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    The reason I am questioning KW's actions is for the reason you just brought up:

"So I really hope you like eating cow s---, because the next time you bite down in that burger of yours, chances are your eating bits of it as well."

That comment, by the was inflamatory and unacceptable, and yet my response was the one that was edited.

Ironic.

In any case, there is one person who is working to find more information about this incident and rectify this siutation (and any future ones), so that person has my gratitude.

And on that note, I will say no more and consider the matter being handled, and therefore, dropped.

10. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo,

Chickens are generally housed in large wharehouse like barns. Often they have their beaks razored off to prevent them from killing each other. If you ever get a chance to visit one of these facilities, I would highly recommend it. The stench is one you would never forget. The chickens that do die are often left to decay around the other live chickens and many chicken are kept in such cramped conditions that their legs actually begin to grow around the cages.

Keep in mind that anytime you slaughter an animal, feces is present. In the process of slaughtering, the meat is seperated from the entrails. In the case of many animals, this means they are hung upside down from their limbs and gutted exposing the worker and the surrounding to bodily fluids including, but not limited to feces and urine. Since the vast majority of meat is produced by huge conglomerations, the operations are always in a hurried state causing many of the animals to be slaughtered while they are still alive and/or while still bucking and writhing from nerve reactions. Which, of course, will cause much of the "comtaminated" material to end up on the edible portion of the meat.

Oh, and don't forget that these animals live their entire natural lives standing in their own waste.

:D

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Oh, okay.

You know, the reason I never ate school Jello is because someone told me it was made out of cat brains. This was back in ...uh...3rd to 5th grade.

12. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    IRT inari

Ouch...

Ok, I admit looking back on that comment I could have worded it better, ie less of an attack. My apologies to those offended. However I myself took offense to the comment made by "what's his face" about how "Murder tastes good". That was just plain sick. [face_plain]

IRT obhavekenobi78

:eek:

Ok, no more chicken... *takes the last bit of meat she has in her fridge and throws it all out*

Great, I'm feeling sick again. But that could just be since I haven't been able to more than one meal a day these last few days. Still this isn't helping.

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Though you'll probably tell me there's something in my Monteray Ranch Chicken combo from Wendy's now. Lol!

Reposted from earlier in this thread:

They take the cheap pieces of chicken, like the neck and feet, and grind it up. The floor is covered in sawdust, and it soaks up the juices, which are thrown in as well. I refuse to eat McDonalds chicken.

How do I know this? My aunt used to work in the place where that was done. She quit because it was too disgusting and hasn't eaten McDonalds chicken since.

Take a closer look at that chicken, GAT. Is it a solid breast, like Arby's, or ground up, like McDonalds? If it's the latter, I wouldn't eat it if I were you.

14. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Taco bell meat is grade E (for edible). McDonalds is grade A. Lets you know what kind of quality is in taco bell's meat.

Edit: Although to clarify, if you think to much about what you're eating you'd probably starve self. Even a vegitarian, if you thought about the bugs that crawled on your food, the birds that pooped on it, the pesticide sprayed on it. Thinking is dangerous.

15. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    The merits of the fast food industry?

They produce food. You eat food. Food is good. What kind of deep spiritual understanding is one expected to derive from this?

What next? Eating Wendy's when pregnant may give you cancer?

16. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    McDonald's Chicken (from their site, link above):

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast filets with rib meat containing: up to 12% of a solution of water, seasoning [salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, whey, flavor (maltodextrin, natural flavors (vegetable source), dextrose, monosodium glutamate), partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, Romano cheese [Romano cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, calcium chloride], nonfat dry milk, disodium phosphate], parmesan cheese powder [enzyme modified parmesan cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, calcium chloride), nonfat dry milk, disodium phosphate], xanthan gum, cheese flavor [dehydrated cheddar cheese (cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract], extractives citric acid, soybean oil and sodium phosphates.

17. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Oh yeah I forgot to add that the produce is mutated (sorry modified) and it's gassed (with chemicals that will probably cause cancer) to speed up ripening.

If you go all natural then you've got another set of worries as well. No pesticides means larva in the food, no mutation mean less food and more waste, etc.

Fun for all I tell ya'

18. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "What next? Eating Wendy's when pregnant may give you cancer?"

Well, meat is full of carcinogens. :eek:

tenorjedi,

Organic foods are slowly working their way back onto tables across the globe. In order to safely produce these vegetables, greater care must be taken to prevent the issues that you describe, resulting in greater cost. Unfortunatley, the bottom line, at leat in the US, seems to be cost. Who cares if the meal has 1800 calories, 75 grams of fat, double the recommended allowance of sodium, is loaded with preservatives, and chock full of cholesterol? It only costs $4.00! I'll worry about my heart later, that's what insurance is for right?

19. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    me reads tenorjedi's posts

Great... commence self starvation. I guess I can look on the bright side of it, I'll shed this fat on my body. [face_plain]

20. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    The problem is organic foods aren't that much safer. We developed these techniques for a reason. Natural fertililzer isn't as effective and draws pests. Natural pestisides are repellants aren't as strong or effective. The yield is significantly less meaning possibly even more hungry people. What's the answer? I dunno. Mine is eat what tastes good and won't kill me and yes that's what insurance is for, and if I die at 60, oh well, those last years suck arse anyway right? ;)

Thinking too much about this will give you an ulcer or something anyhow. Give in to your natural urges and have some veal at my table [face_devil]

21. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    tenorjedi,

Organic foods can be and are safe. You can probably pick some up at your local supermarket today if you wish. Less food production would not be an issue if we utilized our current resource pool more effectively. Enter fast food. The only concern is to provide fast, cheap food to the masses. There is no concern for health or the environment.

22. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    It used to be cheap, now a value meal costs ya $5.

Seriously though I understand what you're saying but organic is by no means perfect either and not everyone can afford fresh produce, let alone organic. It will always be less efficient so the cost will be higher. Personally if you're aware of the risks then it's your choice.

What dieticians would consider grossly unhealthy has been the staple for all those people on the Today show with their stupid picture on the smuckers background while some bald guy wishes them a happy 105th birthday. Meanwhile at the exact same time some 45 year old who watched his weight and diet all his life kicks the bucket from a heart attack. People can live their life however they choose, just as long as your willing to face the consequence of your actions. I don't need some whiney fat-arse suing fast food places to make them healthier or outlawing sugar. If I want health instead of taste I'll bring some carrots to work.

23. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    tenorjedi,

I understand that point of view. I am confused though. We have now established that fast food is unhealthy and expensive! Not only that, but no one has provide even one viable merit supporting fast food. So, why do people eat it?

By the way, people who are at or near the century mark as far as age is concerned have undoubtedly had vastly different diets than that of today's world. Not only that, but many of them had jobs that required exercise as opposed to the myriad of service jobs that now dominate the market. There are thousands upon thousands of differences between people of that age range and current society and their respective health. It is almost impossible to accurately compare the two groups.

24. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    People eat it because it's fast (usually) and it's still cheaper than a healthier restaurant. Me, I eat it cause it's fast and I like the taste. There's enough preservatives in me so my body will never decompose ;) . But you can balance it out with some excersise and laying off sweets. Also every other year, fat's good for you , it's bad, saturated fat's bad other fats good. Till they can figure it out, it's kinda a gamble either way right? (just give in to my dillusion) so I might as well pick the pony that tastes the best. Plus I drink about 2 beers a day so my ticker will be going strong. [face_devil]

25. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Personally I dont eat too much fast fod because of the way my body feels after ingesting the crap. Most of it tastes like crap too. Luckilly in NY we have tasty healthier options.

And i drink err two beers a day for the ticker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.