main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT THE MESSAGE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hopefulwriter, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    "Ho, there!" The loud, thunderous greeting stopped Leia in her tracks, halting her progress across the wide hangar. It was a mammoth facility, filled with ships, speeders and equipment, and buzzed with activity as rebel technicians redied the new base on Hoth for operation. She looked in the direction of the gravelly voice, which spoke again. "Step lively, gal an' gie an old man a hand." The beefy red-bearded fellow flashed a wide and friendly smile at her. "Mac's the name. I'm haulin' med supplies for this wee get together." He waved one hefty hand, indicating the area.

"The Deck Commander can help you , sir." Leia told him politely assuming him to be one of their regular shippers, of whom she saw precious few.

"I'm lookin' for an old buddy o' mine." He continued, oblivious to the woman's remark. "Name's Solo....Han Solo."

Leia smiled as she took in the sight of the raggedly-dressed man. She should have known. Only Solo would have friends like that. Friend, huh? She thought to herself. She couldn't take the chance to acknowledge that she knew Han or that he was even on the base, in case he was a bounty hunter. She merely replied. "Solo? I don't believe I'm familiar with the name."

"Well...he might be usin' a different name, but if Han boy's on this base, a lass smart as you would have already heard from him." The adjective clearly had nothing to do with intelligence; the Princess felt her cheeks color slightly in spite of her best efforts to stop it.

The old freighter let loose a booming laugh...."Aye, Han's here! He told me all about this security business an' I wasna to ask for him, but blame, gal, I've got a message for his co-pilot, Chewbacca.
    I canna be deliverin' it, 'less I ask for 'im, now, can I?"

"I'll be glad to deliver it for you." Leia offered.

"No...But you could bring Han to me. I'll not be turnin' loose of the message 'til I know Chewie gets it for sure. You go fetch Han an' I'll be findin' this Deck Commander you spoke of an' get some help unloading the cargo."

Leia sighed impatiently. She was far too busy to be wasting her time tracking down the one person on the base she'd spent most of her time trying to avoid. Mac turned to leave, and she knew it was useless to try to convince him to give her the message

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

"Have you seen Han?" Leia poked her head through the open door of Luke's quarters.

Luke was busy numbering informational bits for the computer. "Not lately." He replied offhandedly.

"Do you know where I might find him?"

"You want to FIND Han?" He asked, a teasing note in his voice.

"It's business." She said flatly.

"Try the mess hall." Luke advised. "If I see him, I'll tell him you're looking for him. That ought to shake him up."

"Don't do me any favors." Leia retorted as she left.

After checking the mess hall, passing by the bay where the FALCON was docked, and asking numerous aides, techs and pilots of Han's whereabouts, Leia was becoming increasingly irritated at not being able to find the one man whose habit was to be around when you didn't want him, especially since she was wasting so much of her time with an apparently fruitless search. She was about to give up and appoint some junior lackey to the task when she heard a familiar voice.

"You lookin' for me, you High and Mightyness?" Solo rounded the corner behind her.

Leia swirled to face him, making a mental note to throw in a sarcastic remark about his maddening swagger the next time they were in a heated personal argument.

"Yes, I am. Where were you?" She didn't try to hide her irritation.

"Some things are private." Han smiled wickedly. "Now, you've found me. What's so important?"

Aides and security guards who passed the couple smiled at them; squared off for another battle.

"There's someone here to see you." Leia told him.

"OH?!" Han brightened immediately.

"It's NOT female." She assured him flatly.

"Then it can't be too important." Solo replied.

"Come with me." Leia instructed, walking a few paces down the hall.

Han deliberately waited until a couple of security guards were within hearing range, then spoke loudly. "You want me to go WHERE with you?"

The Princess turned to see two curious-faced guards staring at them.

"SOLO!!!"

"She can't resist me." Han shrugged to the now whispering rebels.

&

"You didn't say who this someone was." He commented to Leia on their long walk down the icy halls.

"There're a lot of questions I want to ask you after you've talked with him." Leia spoke tight-lipped.

"You've got questions, but you won't tell me anything." He argued.

Leia stopped and faced him. "His name is Mac, said he's a buddy of yours and he has a shipload of supplies for the base. He also said he has an important message for Chewbacca." She paused, but only for a moment. "How dare you, Han! Jeopardizing our operation just to give one of your pirate friends a job."

"Wait a minute, Princess. Han read her thoughts. "Mac's got just as much to fear from the Empire as the Alliance. There's no way he'd give location information to them. He was a perfect cover for those medical supplies you needed. A regular freighter would've been monitored. It's common knowledge that pirat...independents... frequent routes that carry them to uninhabited worlds or rim systems to cover their....trade secrets. There won't be any suspicion aroused just because he happened to pass somewhere 'near' Hoth." Leia remained silent. What Han said did make sense.
    Han blinkled, returning to the earlier topic. "What message?"

"I don't know. He wouldn't tell me; he just said it was important." She watched as the smuggler's facial features altered in response to the information, but made no comment.
    &

"Be careful lads." Mac bellowed. "They winna be payin' me for damaged goods, so handle wi' a feather." He supervised the three rebel workers unloading his starship.

"Hey! Mac!" Han called to his friend.

The pirate raised his bushy eyebrows in delight as Solo approached with a curious Princess in tow.

"Han, ye old devil! How ye been lad?" Han was suddenly engulfed in a hug that could have crushed a bram. "Let me look at ya." Mac eyed the spacer from head to toe. "Still in one piece, I see. Nothin' bionic, is there?" He winked a playful eye.

"No...not yet." Han teased back.

"Want ya to know how much I'm obliged to you for sendin' this work my way. Runs for an old star rider come few an' far between these days." He turned serious. "See you've hooked up with a pretty good outfit, here, laddie." He nodded to Leia. "Some of the pretties rebels I've ever seen."

"Mac." Han began an introduction. "This is Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan."

Leia snarled over Han's total lack of descretion, but Mac was, for once, at a loss for words.

"Well...." He managed. "I'll be. Sorry to hear the fate of your homeworld, lass. Everyone in the Universe must know of it by now." Mac placed a hand over his heart in an awkward expression of reverence, partially allaying the Princess' irritation.

"She dismissed the uncomfortable moment by changing the subject. "You said you had a message."

"Aye, that I do." He groped for the wrinkled piece of parchment in his pocket. "It's for that woolly partner of yours." He said, handing it to Han.

Solo read it carefully. When he was done, he looked up. "I've got to find Chewie." He said emotionless.

"Good luck, laddie...see ye next time around." Mac called after the quickly exiting pilot.

Leia nearly ran to keep up with him. "Han, what is it?" She asked the grim-faced Solo. "What's wrong?"

Han did not reply. Nearing the FALCON he saw Chewbacca wielding a load-lifter stacked with supplies he was maneurering down the cargo ramp. He motioned to the Wookiee. "Hey, Chewie."
    Chewbacca looked up as he approached. "You better read this, pal. Mac just delivered it with the supplies."

Leia - standing a respectable distance away, to give them privacy - watched as the Wookiee read the parchment, then bellowed loudly. Han nodded. "Right away." He agreed.

The Princess could contain her curiosity no longer. "Right away what?"

"We're gonna leave, your Highness."

Leia was floored. Not only had he used her proper title, but...well, she hated it when he didn't smile that cocky, foolish grin. Something was up.

She had to ask what..."Hey, Leia." She recognized Luke's call from across the hangar. "I see you found Han." He came up to them. "It must've been important - the whole base was looking for you. Han only nodded to Luke's statement. "What's with him?" Skywalker asked an equally perplexed Leia.

"Chewie got a message." She explained, voicing her impression of the situation. "It must have been bad news."

"Han..." Luke prompted.

Solo shrugged. "It was from Chewie's lifemate, Malla. All it said was 'come home."

It was Luke's turn to shrug. "So, why don't you just contact her from here and find out what it's all about? No sense in wasting a trip - and it'd be too dangerous to leave the area right now, with all the imperials looking for us."

"If Mac made it, so can I. Easier." Han told him.

"They couldn't send a message if they wanted to." Leia reminded him. "We're under communications silence until everything is secure."

"Chewie wouldn't settle for that, anyway." Han alibied. "I owe my life to him - and Malla. There's no way I wouldn't take him to Kashyyyk, if that's what they want."

"it's such along distance." Leia spoke anxiously in spite of herself. "Will you come back?" Realizing what her words implied, she continued quickly, to cover herself. "We still need your help."

Han looked at her for what seemed an eternity. "It all depends on what we find when we get there." He said. "But, we'll be back...sometime."

Chewbacca barked an impatient demand at his partner, and everyone realized how strained the moment had become. "Ah...Luke." Solo cleared his throat. "Tell Rieekan we'll be back when we can. I'll find the Deck Officer and arrange for liftoff clearance."

"Let Leia tell him. I'm going with you."

"No." Han spoke more sharply than he intended. He sighed deeply to settle himself. "Look. Leia needs you here. We'll be okay. Kashyyyk is a Wookiee world. It take a lot of getting used to." He winked to try and ease the tension.

Luke sighed, accepting the situation, as it could not be altered. "The Force be with you both."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

"Don't worry, Chewie." Han's voice rose over the warming hum of the FALCON'S engines. "We'll be there in no time, and everything will be all right, you'll see." He realized that he was trying to convince himself as much as his partner.

Lift-off was uneventful; once in the black cloak of space, Han wondered what they would find when they returned to Hoth. He shook the unsettling thoughts from his mind. "I'll go fix us some ahva." He said rising from the confines of his pilot's chair. "We could both use a lift." He gave the Wookiee a reassuring pat on his massive shoulder.

In the galley, Han filled two cups with dehydrated granules and added water to make a rich, dark liquid; then placed the cups in the heating unit. In moments, the cups were steaming and he looked forward to settling down again and enjoying the invigorating beverage. Moving gingerly, he removed the superheated drinks from the unit. At that moment, the FALCON lurched sharply and he was doused with half a cup of the burning liquid. Swearing and yelling at both the stinging splashes and his co-pilot, Han made his way back to the cockpit. "What're you doing!?"

Chewbacca grumbled an explanation and an apology in one breath. Han growled, "Well, keep your mind on what you're doing, or we'll never get there." He placed a cup in its holder near the Wookiee and resettled into his chair. "I know you're worried, but I'm sure there's nothing seriously wrong."

The Wookiee gave a snapping growl.

"Well, I can't say I'm absolutely sure, but a message doesn't always mean trouble." Chewbacca made a lengthy reply, ending in a question as Han sipped at his drink. "Yes, I can remember the last two times Malla called you home without an explanation, but three times in all these years isn't much."

His furry co-pilpt woofed and snarled between sips from his own cup.

Han complied to his question. "All right,.....let's see; there was the time Itchy was going to be voted in as a member of the local High Council. That wasn't bad news." Chewbacca alternately barked and laughed. "Oh, yeah.' The Corellian recalled, "I'd forgotten what happened AFTER the election. That was a problem. Okay, so there was one time an emergency called you home."

Chew snorted his opinion of Han's short memory.

"Whaddya mean, I forgot about Lumpy. I just didn't want to get you more upset by mentioning it. For a two-hundred year old Wookiee, you sure don't have much patience. Just settle down and drink your ahva."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Much later, Chewbacca once again vented his impatient anxiety by banging on the sensor screen.
    "Hey, pal." Han attempted to calm him. Chewie barked and left the console, heading for his quarters. Solo knew he was very worried, but hoped the Wookie would rest.

While he was alone, Han took the opportunity to send several messages to outposts with which they were familiar, hoping to find some news.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

When he returned to the cockpit, Chewbacca appeared much calmer. "Just a little bit longer, and we'll be there." Han informed him as he arrived. The Wookie settled himself, and remained there, unmoving at the controls. It was only then that Han realized he had mistaken Chewbacca's mood for calmness. The Wookiee had apparently resigned himself to the worst. "Look, buddy." Han began. "Malla's okay. She sent the message after all. She couldn't've if something had been wrong with her." His co-pilot remained still. "The note didn't say anything specific. She wouldn've told you, if it'd been anything really serious. Still no response.

Quickly losing his temper over his friend's resigned fatalism, Han grabbed the worn piece of paper, still clutched in the Wookie's paw and waving the parchment under Chewbacca's nose for emphasis, he raged. "No where does this say, danger, trouble, emeergency." Chewie remained silent.

"I made some inquiries while you were in you cabin, and no one answered with any information. If Imps or slavers were around, or if there'd been a natural disaster, it would've been known by now."

The Wookie looked up, realizing his friend had done everything he could. No matter what had happened back home, Han would be there. Reassured somewhat, he relaxed considerably. He had their friendship.

Seeing the capitulation, Solo sighed. "See, pal, you were just letting your imagination run away with you. Everything'll be fine."

Chewbacca growled as he adjusted his side of the flight console, attempting normal routine again.

"Well, yeah." Han agreed. "There is someting going on, but it doesn't always have to be trouble. Chewie said nothing. The two pilots settled into the confortable silence that grows between friends and waited out the remainder of the flight.

&&&&&&&&&&

"The landing area's clean, no sign of any battle fought here recently." Han commented as they exited the FALCON. Chewbacca lifted his head, using all senses to detect any trace of danger, or anything out of the ordinary. Han rested his hand on his blaster, ready for action if the need arose. "Doesn't look like anything's wrong. He concluded. "Let's go on to your house and see what's up."

Han didn't mind the trek through the lush green jungle of Kashyyyk. During the lengthy times he was confined to his ship, he had amost fortotten what vegetation looked and smelled like; planetfall on a wasteland such as Hoth was no reminder. The heat from the sun was a welcomed sensation on his back and shoulders. He watched as Chewbacca made his way gracefully through the underbrush. This was his world, and he knew every bit of it.

On the outskirts of the village, Han spotted several Wookiees huddled together, talking. When the group spotted the two spacers, they fell silent immediately, watching as Chewbacca made his way toward home. When hailed by the furry pilot, they responded with the customary welcome, then moved away, quickly. Han didn't like that. Something was wrong.

Word of Chewbacca's arrival in the village spread quickly, and soon, many of the tree dwelling citizens lined the verandas of the hometrees, watching as the summonsed head of his house neared his residence. Although they called the common welcome, Chewbacca marched on doggedly. Han grew more and more apprehensive for his friend. "Remember, pal." He assured the Wookiee. "Things aren't always as bad as they seem at first." But under his breath, he reminded himself, "Now, if only I could remember that.'

Chewbacca barely heard his words. Wookiess usually kept to themselves and the fact that many others were watching and whispering made Chewie realize that something had drastically affected his family.

Taking the ladder rungs two at a time, Chewbacca quickly ascended to his tree home, causing Han to hurry to keep up.

They reached the door together. Now that the answer was so near, they hesitated to enter. Han rubbed his palm over the butt of his blaster, nervously. He sighed."Well, are we going in?"

With a solid nod, the Wookiee pushed the door open and entered his home, Han right behind him.

They stopped in the doorway, eyeing every nitche..the study was complete. Itchy raised from a nap in his rocker.Lumpy was playing quietly in the corner, flashing them first a look of fear, then one of delight when he recognized his father and Han. Chewbacca noticed Malla's sister Reema near a large cooking pot, she had squealed at their forceful entrance. Malla entered quickly into the common room to see what all the commotion was about.

Chewbacca rushed to her and they clasped in a Wookiee embrace. han closed the door, watching as Lumpy wriggled in between his parents,eager for some attention. Everyone gathered around and Chewie fired a barrage of question at his mate. To each inquirey, the female shook her head in negation. Chewbacca then barked a final question. "What was going on?"

With a slight nod of her head and a soft growl, she gestured for Chewie to remain in the common room, then she herself disappeared into another .

"What is it?" han asked when his partner neared. A puzzled rumble told it to all. "A surprise, huh?"

Lumpy squirmed with excitement and Itchy smiled knowingly. Soon, Malla appeared with a small, wrapped bundle and placed it in her lifemate's awkward arms.Han drew back the covering from the baby Wookiee's fuzzy face and grinned.

"Your daughter!"

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Mac is a delight with his brogue and the mystery of the message, the mounting anxiety and then the happy outcome and relief! The H/L is wonderfully in-character, natch. :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Glad you enjoyed THE MESSAGE. Just as our world had different countries...in my mind (which can be questionable, ha.) there are different
    worlds in the SW galaxy.

Like to keep most of the endings to my stories a surprise. Chewie is a 'teddy bear' and I like featuring the character in
    stories...had a blast using Chewbacca in HAN SOLO'S TASTE OF FATHERHOOD...laughed all the way through writing it. I was shameless , ha.

Have a nice weekend...Lynda V.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wait, are you saying that other countries don't exist? As a resident of one of them, should I start doubting my own existence? :p

Anyway...another delightful read. Love how it progressed from Han/Leia and Leia/Mac banter (Mac is very piraty in the sense of...stereotype pirates of our world, LOL) to Chewbacca going home for a very, very good reason.

Now, the only thing that bothered me was the idea of Itchy being elected for...well, anything. :p

5. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    HAHAHAAHH,...Guess the fingers don't work as well as I thought...I meant Has different countries...hopefully we all continue to exsist, ha.
    May I ask what country? If you don't want to divulge, that is alright. won't hurt my feelings.

Yes, I wanted to make Mac stereotyped.... haven't yet met an outer space pirate, hahaha. (can still hope Han Solo is out there somewhere, ha.)

Glad you enjoyed 'The Message." You are always so nice in your review. Have a good weekend. Lynda V.

Ewok Poet likes this.