main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The midlands 'orange' uniform

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by veritasuk, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002

Tell you what Martin, just ship me a single, 30 something English male and we'll call it even. ;)

2. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    How 'Something' are we talking here Wendy ?

3. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    ok, first off, a big stick doesn't scare me, it does ammuse me though ;) But then again, I'm strange.

ok, back on topic. and I'm sorry I missed so much discussion, i will try to catch up as best I can over the entire thread, but bear with me.

I'm also going to give some ideas to you, and I'll pick one of you to PM some people to email (since we know that soliciting and seeling items that do not belong to you are agaisnt the the TOC of this board ;))

For the actual Orange coveralls, I will ask this and then answer as if someone said they can do it ;)

Is there someone who can sew decently there? For the coveralls, there isn't muc involved, and I have patterns for ever mod you need to make. you can find them here:
    http://www.echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/
    (You may have to cut and paste the link)

Enclosed in that link is a general overview of the entire costume, and some helpfull links as well. The patterns for the jumpsuits require you to get 2 (although 2 people should only need to get 3) commercially availible Orange coveralls. Such as these:
    http://www.workingclassclothes.com/cvrlAback.htm

Internations shipping might be an issue, so I would suggest looking into suppliers in the UK. The place I linked to above offers the Orange Coverall for about $25 US.

Also in the first link I posted are patterns and a tutorial for making the flak vests yourself. there are some simple ideas in there to get the ribs into the vest. And from what I'm told, if you can sew, it's not hard, (just boring work) The leg flares are pretty simple, You just need a wood dowel, cut into small sections (measurements should all be in the tutorial I posted first) and painted silver. The holder is simple, go to an Army surplus supplier (I am assuming you have stuf flike that there, correct me if I'm wrong) and get one or two large canvas items in an OD (military) Green. Then you can cut out the strips of material you need. A large Duffle Bag, lik the US Military issues would work great, and might supply you all with enough material to do all the flare holders. The holders are simple stiching you can do by hand. Don'ty worry if you make the loop too big and the flare (wood dowel) won't be held in place. I suggest that when you are ready to install everythign you use a small screw and from the back of the holder, secure the Flare in place. (That's how mine is done)

Leg straps and the matching belt are fairly simple, there is a diagram in the tutorial above that shows you basically how to assemble everythign there, the two leg loops, and the strap that goes from your back to your chest. a sewing machine would help, but I can see doing it by hand as well. Don't get too hung up on the belt buckle, and the Flak vest buckles, these are relatively small details, often overlooked. Look for somethign similar, and failing that, use what works.

the hardest parts here will be the Chest box and the helmet. The Chest box, if it comes down to it, can be made from wood. Now to show you what I mean, here is a picture of my chest box and one of 3 wooden ones IU have made for people here in my area.

This is mine, arichie's Kit, with the hose supplied by Richie's: http://images8.fotki.com/v131/photos/4/451189/1589330/Chestbox-vi.jpg
    the hose isn't accrate, but close enoug,m what most people here use is Grey washing machine hose. The straps are supposed to be OD Green, but mine are simple black nylon, again, a detail easily over looked.

this is the wood one I did:
    http://images8.fotki.com/v140/photos/4/451189/1589423/JenniChestbox-vi.jpg
    This one has the Washing machine hose attached to it, and a custom made connector for attaching the hose to the flight suit. This connector requires you to put a hole somewhere in the suit. The Old coonestor on my chestbox clipped to a belt or pocket (I have since changed to the type of connector on the wooden box)

As you can see compairing the chestboxes, unless you get up close and examine them, you can't tell the different really, They are about the same size, but the surf

4. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    ok, the package I was talking about last month was a project a friend was looking into, he wanted to know what people would pay for a Jumpsuit and Vest. He had guessed abotu what everyone was looking to spend, but uinfortunately, (for you guys at least lol) wasn't looking to go international yet.

I can talk to him, see what he can do, and see if I can get one large shipment out to you, instead of piece mealing it out. But if you have someone who can sew out there, or more to the point, a couple of someones ;) it might be quicker and cheaper.

This would have been a part time thing for him, no matter where he shipped to.

5. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002

Something between 30 & 40, not too old and not too young. [face_laugh]

Thanks Ed for showing up and lending a hand. :)

6. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanks for all the info Ed, we'll get trawling through it asap. Oh and my stick has a nail in it !

7. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    :eek: [face_beatup] owch!

yeah thats for the info. i have started to make a wooden box one but so far have only cut the basic shape and size of wood.

8. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Cheers Ed.

I have the Helemt details if any one wants them, and as the re enactment season is ending, I Will volunteer sewing detail. I would suggest a get together at mine with jump suits and I can do them as we go along

9. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    what info have you got on the helmets Ves?
    i was going to offer to sew as well. Getting together at your place sounds like a good idea but its a long way for some of us to travel. is there nowhere nearer we could do that bit?

10. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    out of curiosuity, how many pilots are we talking about joining with this project? And in my opinion, the more the better ;)

11. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i think there are at least 10 of us so far. you'll have to ask phil he knows the exact number

12. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
  13. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    wow almost an entire Squadron immediately. Very nice!

14. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i bagsie corran horns number! as my x-wing pilot costume will be his and i am also him as a jedi.

15. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    going Green huh? not a bad choice ;)

16. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    ultimateley we would like every one to have a costume BUT we understand every ones financial commitments vary so its a do it when you can costume. No pressure.

17. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    so whats happening on all the bits then? i think we should all be asigned to do something. What do you think?

18. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    I think every one should assemble their own kit as and when circumstances allow

19. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i think some bits need to be done at the same time e.g. suit, compad (given phil some info).

20. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    what`s a com-pad?

21. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    its a board with switches that are attached to the pilots uniform its about the side of a datapad.
    i think these would make a great addition to the costume.

22. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    you do a lot of thinking don`t you?

23. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Too much :mad:

24. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    Clear a radius......

Dave I'm intrigued as to why you think these things should be done en masse. I hope you make it to the meet so you can make it clear.

25. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    It's alright, I've calmed a bit. However, for future reference, before telling someone that I will be contacting them, ask me first, don't just drop me a PM saying they are waiting to hear from me! Hint, hint Dave!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.