The Mighty Mini-Con Cancelled

Discussion in 'Rochester, NY' started by Doc_Bev, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was very disappointed to see that Mighty Mini-Con has been cancelled when I visited their website this evening.

Read it for yourself here - http://www.mightyminicon.com

~Doc_Bev
  2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, it is a shame. It would have been a fun weekend.
  3. TD-027 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm beginning to feel unwanted by the Convention world. :(. Hopefully we can still do something fun that weekend.

Duane
  4. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Yeh we didnt even get any notice from the promoters, heard about it from someone else.... nice.

I still say we should get together that weekend for some good ole SW costuming fun. Jeff had a really great idea of invading the malls. Perhaps we can invade Syracuse one day and Rochester the next?
    With a table and hand out candy to kids . Jeff suggested a type of food drive or something.
    Thoughts?

I think it would be alot of fun!
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now that MMC is cancelled I think we might be participating more (i.e. attending) the Rochester convention on Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon. We're still free Sunday though...

~Doc_Bev
  6. TD-027 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would be in for something at the Malls each day! I'm not as interested in the Slanted Fedora Deal since its mostly Star Trek stuff. Just not my deal :(. How Many folks were planning on Volunteering at MMC?

7. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    That's great. You guys should go and support the Rochester Mini con. As you know I was gonna do the MMC thing. I would love to support the local mini con but there is not enough going on that I have interest in. Am not interested in the celebrities unfortunately, cannot afford that much collecting any more, do not have enough to sell for the $25 table, not SCI FI stuff anyway. Costume contest is all right but I do not want to pay just for that. If we were going to be involved in it in some way and support all our groups I would pay but we were planning on MMC so we do not have the time and it did not seem like he offered us in on it this time anyway. Maybe he did but it does not matter now. We will have to do something local someday. We still got the Fandom Halloween party coming. We just have to make the most of what we can do.
  8. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    we can still all get together for dinner? perhaps friday night instead? or even sunday maybe brunch?

It would be fun to see everyone again :)
  9. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Slanted Fedora con is Friday night and Saturday morning ending by 3pm ish. So we could do something Saturday evening or anytime on Sunday. We're not really interested in any of the guests either as we've met them all. We're more so looking forward to the opportunity to give Dave Scott a piece of our mind...

Does anyone know how to go about getting a table at the mall? How much do they cost? How much advance notice do they need to provide one? I would be up for doing something like that either Saturday evening or Sunday depending on when the FanForce dinner gets set-up for.

~Doc_Bev
  10. ltcmdrtom Force Ghost

Hmmmmm Mall huh? I probably would not be interested in doing the mall thing, but you would have to do is set up someting with the Mall Business Manager or Marketing Director. You can find out who to contact by calling which ever mall's Customer Service Desk They should be able to get you a contact # for the person you need to talk to. Or look it up on the web.

Word of caution, you may run into issues by not being an insured group
  11. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Irondequoit Mall may be an exception, but it's a pretty dead mall. Here's their contact information. We were thinking that would be a neat place to actually hold a con.

Irondequoit Mall:
    Dick Farrell (mall manager)
    Mary Kay (his assistant)
    262-4000
    467-0189 (fax)
    $50 per (mall hours) day for one of the stores.
    Includes tables & chairs and possibly AV equipment if they had it available.
    Must fax a request on club letterhead.
  12. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Slanted Fedora's con is only $10 advance admission. Has anyone talked to Dave about fan club tables? He has not responded back to my e-mail inquiring about them. A lot of fans like a variety of science fiction, so a Rebellion table would not look too out of place even though he is only bringing 4 Star Trek: Deep Space 9 guests. They have acted in other things. For example J. G. Hertzler will be performing in A Christmas Carol at Geva Theatre later this year. This could be some cheap publicity for some more generic science fiction fans. Just something to think about....
  13. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    As far as Mall goes, If you say you are a nonprofit group they may cut you a break. As far as insurance goes, I have yet to have someone turn us away for not having it. Usually you are covered by whatever venue you are fundraising in.

If the Mall in general says no and wants to charge you a fee for a table then you should go to one of the childrens stores and see if they will sponsor you and you can have a table in front of their stores. I would try the Disney store, KBtoys, etc..........
    Hope that helps.
  14. DarSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    In the past the USS Tranquility helped out Waldenbooks and Hallmark with their promotions in costume. At Greece Ridge Center, there is B. Dalton too, but it is at a far wing. Not to mention, the Halloween stores and Spencer's Gifts.
  15. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh yeah I forgot about the costume shops that set up for halloween. That could work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.